ADVERTISEMENT

Reminders of 9/11 in conjunction with upcoming Heroes Day

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
As the Wildcats take on Duke Saturday the players will be honoring those who serve. Last year being the 20th Anniversary of 9/11 the focus included the First Responders from 9/11.

Yesterday a serendipitous event brought to mind the impact in both large and small ways that each of us encountered as a consequence of 9/11. Those of us who were around as Wildcat fans 21 years ago can recall how even our football season was altered. Ironically, given that we are playing Duke this weekend, it was as a result of our 2001 game with Navy being cancelled that our next opponent was Duke.

Here is a link to a Daily Northwestern article expanding upon how 9/11 impacted Northwestern Football:

Remembering 9/11

As to the serendipitous event from yesterday that jogged my recollection of 9/11 it was by chance my coming across an account in a book I picked up at an art gallery. To my surprise the book included a photo of an original painting that I had received just after 9/11 as well as the artist's recollection as to the difficulty he encountered in getting it sent from Hawaii to Alaska due to 9/11.

Ironically I had just made reference to the painting in a small history piece that I had posted on the subject of Hawaii's ancient Fish Ponds.

Here is an excerpt from my prior posting preceeded by the photo of the painting and its accompanying narrative in the book:

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2597(1).jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

"My own personal introduction to Moli'i Fish Pond aligned with a roadside stop at the connecting Macadamia Nut Farm (actually a sales location rather than a farm) in the summer of 2001 just months before the eventful 9-11 calamity. As I wandered along a wooded pathway I encountered an artist with an approximate 50 inch by 30 inch canvas mounted on an easel. He told me he was completing a painting of the Moli'i Fish Pond. The setting there under the shadow of the westward looming majestic Cliffs of the Kualoa Mountains was serene. Extending eastward from the enclosed body of water was a thin peninsula of land known as Secret Island which separated the fish pond from the Pacific Ocean.

Observing the quality of his effort I let the artist Dennis Morton know that I would be interested in acquiring his completed work. In the ensuing weeks we kept in touch and he let me know that his intent was to have prints replicated from the original painting. Those plans fell apart somehow as a consequence of 9-11but the original painting eventually made it to me where I resided. It hung in my office for many years before eventually returning to Hawaii for hanging there.

When I look at it today, it reminds me not only of the serenity there on the edge of Moli'i Fish Pond when I met the artist painting it, but also of the world's stability that was then existent."

Great stuff A-Kat. Thanks for sharing.

GOUNUII

Thanks.

For anyone interested here is more from the history piece I did about the ancient Hawaiian Fish Ponds:

The naturalist, William Ellis, on Captain Cook's third (and final) voyage to Hawaii recorded the practice of Hawaiian royalty maintaining fish ponds. He subsequently wrote, "They [the Hawaiians] have numerous small lakes and ponds, frequently artificial, wherein they breed fish of various kinds in tolerable abundance."

The fish farms of today and the Fish Ponds of ancient Hawaii differ in a significant respect. Historically they were walled to connect with the sea and a small entrance allowed small fish from the sea to enter. As the fish grew bigger they could not escape through the small entrances to return to the ocean. Today's fish farms are stocked with selected varieties. This apparently allowed the fish to remain genetically diverse without some of the detrimental issues that apply to farm bred fish today.

Oahu's Moli'i Fish Pond located on the Windward (East) side of the island remains one of the few and largest Fish Ponds to have remained intact for centuries. Its 125 acres extends as deep as 30 feet and the fish commercially harvested from it include Moi (thread fish), 'ama'ama (mullet) and awe (milkfish.)

Its history is steeped in legend and like the well recognized Chinaman Hat Island (properly named Mokoli'i) which is close to it, has a mythological storied origin. While Mokoli'i is said to have originated from the discarded tail of a dragon lizard that Hi'lika (the volcano goddess Pele's sister) threw into the ocean after defeating it, Moli'i Fish Pond is said to have been built in a day by the mythological elf-like creatures known as Manehunes.

Its more recent history is documented to include Dr. Gerritt P. Judd's purchase of the surrounding land from King Kamehameha III in 1850. Ownership remains in the family today and is operated as part of the Kualoa Ranch by Judd's descendants, the Morgan family.

Below pictured is the subject painting of Moli'i Fish Pond as well as a recently taken photograph of the tree depicted in the painting as it can be seen today from the site of the Macadamia Nut Farm's gardens. Also included is a view looking westward to the looming majestic Cliffs of the Kualoa Mountains:
IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2366_(1).jpg

IMG_2270_(2).jpg

IMG_2269_(2).jpg

IMG_2278(1).jpg

And here in an owned print from another artist (M. Von Dorm) can be seen the referenced nearby Chinaman Hat Island known to the Hawaiians as Mokoli'i which means "little lizard" in deference to its legendary origin.
IMG_2375.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

For anyone interested here is more from the history piece I did about the ancient Hawaiian Fish Ponds:

The naturalist, William Ellis, on Captain Cook's third (and final) voyage to Hawaii recorded the practice of Hawaiian royalty maintaining fish ponds. He subsequently wrote, "They [the Hawaiians] have numerous small lakes and ponds, frequently artificial, wherein they breed fish of various kinds in tolerable abundance."

The fish farms of today and the Fish Ponds of ancient Hawaii differ in a significant respect. Historically they were walled to connect with the sea and a small entrance allowed small fish from the sea to enter. As the fish grew bigger they could not escape through the small entrances to return to the ocean. Today's fish farms are stocked with selected varieties. This apparently allowed the fish to remain genetically diverse without some of the detrimental issues that apply to farm bred fish today.

Oahu's Moli'i Fish Pond located on the Windward (East) side of the island remains one of the few and largest Fish Ponds to have remained intact for centuries. Its 125 acres extends as deep as 30 feet and the fish commercially harvested from it include Moi (thread fish), 'ama'ama (mullet) and awe (milkfish.)

Its history is steeped in legend and like the well recognized Chinaman Hat Island (properly named Mokoli'i) which is close to it, has a mythological storied origin. While Mokoli'i is said to have originated from the discarded tail of a dragon lizard that Hi'lika (the volcano goddess Pele's sister) threw into the ocean after defeating it, Moli'i Fish Pond is said to have been built in a day by the mythological elf-like creatures known as Manehunes.

Its more recent history is documented to include Dr. Gerritt P. Judd's purchase of the surrounding land from King Kamehameha III in 1850. Ownership remains in the family today and is operated as part of the Kualoa Ranch by Judd's descendants, the Morgan family.

Below pictured is the subject painting of Moli'i Fish Pond as well as a recently taken photograph of the tree depicted in the painting as it can be seen today from the site of the Macadamia Nut Farm's gardens. Also included is a view looking westward to the looming majestic Cliffs of the Kualoa Mountains:
IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2366_(1).jpg

IMG_2270_(2).jpg

IMG_2269_(2).jpg

IMG_2278(1).jpg

And here in an owned print from another artist (M. Von Dorm) can be seen the referenced nearby Chinaman Hat Island known to the Hawaiians as Mokoli'i which means "little lizard" in deference to its legendary origin.
IMG_2375.jpg
Fascinating. My wife and I are making our first trip to Hawaii later this year. All of our kids have been there. Some more than once. We’ll have all 13 of us under one roof.

I want to see the fish ponds of which you speak.

Now go out there and find us a moose for this weekend’s game. 😊

Fascinating. My wife and I are making our first trip to Hawaii later this year ......

Now go out there and find us a moose for this weekend’s game. 😊

Well there was this "Duke" sighting yesterday.

FWIW the photo documented moose sighting prior to the Nebraska game was followed up by a pair of Moose captured on on my security camera after our win over Nebraska.

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT