ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Matt Ulrich

It was posted on The Rock, but I don't understand why news like this wouldn't be shared with the "everybody" board first.

Reactions: 2388bb
To use the cliche, life is precious ... I'm stunned to learn of the death of someone I consider a fellow Montana. Somehow, about five or six years ago, I learned that Matt was living in the same part of the state where I formerly lived, the Gallatin Valley. Turns out he met and married a woman from the area and went into a career in finance, working in Bozeman, as I recall. We struck up a Facebook friendship and also connected on LinkedIn.

Then, in November 2019, after the death from brain cancer of my wife, I was preparing to move back to my base in Billings. I attended a "Brawl of the Wild" game, as we call the annual slugfest between Montana State University and the University of Montana, which took place that year at the Bobcat stadium in Bozeman.
The Bobcats thumped the Griz that day. Preparing to leave as part of a happy crowd with my son and then girlfriend (now wife), I saw a man approach me. He introduced himself. It was Matt Ulrich. We had breakfast one morning that month before I left the Bozeman area, and we've since shared texts, especially in the last few months as we discussed the hazing situation and the firing of Fitz.

I can't claim to be a close friend of his, but I got no hint of health issues. I do know from his Facebook posts that, besides his widow, he leaves behind (I think) three young sons.

Not sure how to find more contact information for him but when I do, I must send a card to his wife and kids.

Early on in our online friendship, I found a connection: the 2004 overtime NU win over Ohio, in which Matt threw the block that allowed Noah Herron to score the winning TD. I saw that game on TV in Billings. What. made it really special was the number 33: final score, NU 33, Ohio State 30; Herron, #33; and the fact that it had been 33 years since the Cats had last beat Ohio State. And I saw that game in November 1971 in Columbus during my junior year at NU.

My manager went to HS with Matt.

Family can use the support.

I am not on facebook, if someone could do that in my place that would be great. Just get the word out, the donations will follow I am sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT