ADVERTISEMENT

Roper

Why? Of all the places ...
Shrewsberry has an excellent reputation in the business. Players, including opposing players, really like him. It's that simple.

Surely everyone realizes that college athletes are primarily choosing based on who's coaching, and less so the actual school.

Reactions: Hkjb
Hate to see him go, but there are good leavers and bad leavers - and Roper was a good one. I always felt Roper was all in. When he was on the court or even on the bench he was full-intensity. (Not dipping his toe in, not disappearing, and not whining or making excuses). Dude was consistently committed. And when he decided to make a switch, he did it clean. Pretty mature for a kid navigating the era of free agency (and Twitter). I hope he kills it - except against us.

I like Shrewsberry a lot, and I’m happy he’s out of the B1G (at least for now).

Roper would have likely come into next season as the fourth guard on a three-guard team, for the third straight season.

Notre Dame will likely bring more guys in but, at this moment, Roper has an inside track to start next season. A no-brainer. Good for him.

First time in history that a player has left NU for another P6 program, in part because he didn’t anticipate getting the minutes he wanted at NU.

I just can’t wait until, what, mid-June, when Chase and Boo announce their returns.

Reactions: No Chores
Already excited about the thread monitoring every game he plays next season.
I don't see nearly as much heartburn over his usage or him leaving as Young or Nantz. The reason we kept fighting about Young is the wide disagreement about how COllins used - or didn't use - him, and the Nantz following had more to do with the sting of the guy we thought was our best player leaving. ROper... good luck to him, I guess.

Not true, Miller Kopp saw the writing on the wall and decided to leave.
I don’t get what you mean. Kopp was the #2 scorer and certainly would have returned as a starter. Roper would likely have been behind Boo, Audige, and Berry for the third straight season.

Kopp left for a similar role on the court at IU, not because he was blocked. Roper has a better line to starter’s minutes at ND than NU.

Kopp left for a similar role on the court at IU, not because he was blocked. Roper has a better line to starter’s minutes at ND than NU.
The behind the scenes story about Kopp was that his role was diminishing. He wanted to do more but Collins basically told him at the end of the season that he would have a limited role going forward. At least that's what was being said here about the reason for his transfer.

Roper would likely have been behind Boo, Audige, and Berry for the third straight season.
My instinct is that he might have been OK(ish) with that, as those were all starters. 3 positions to come in for, easily adds up to over 20 minutes of play.

Problem might have been that now he was behind not only BB/CA/TB, but also Barnhizer.

Reactions: techtim72
I don't think he will be drafted, but I can see him being invited to a nba sumer league team and getting a two way contract.
Two-way contracts aren't easy to come by. I'd be very surprised to see him get one right out of college with so many areas left to improve.

I don’t get what you mean. Kopp was the #2 scorer and certainly would have returned as a starter. Roper would likely have been behind Boo, Audige, and Berry for the third straight season.

Yeah, there are a lot of things that become "truth" on the WildcatReport that are just made up.
Kopp left because he wanted out, not because he thought his minutes were going to be cut. That was just something somebody threw out there to spin Kopp's departure and a small group of people started repeating it.

As for Roper - people seem to forget that he was a starter for the 2nd half of his freshman year (ahead of Ty Berry). Then Lowery was hired, the defensive philosophy was tweaked and Berry re-claimed the starting job.

Roper hurt his ankle, sat out a couple games, then injured it worse in garbage time and missed the rest of the season. His sophomore year was quite disappointing. Couple that with the expectation that Audige (specifically) will be back next year and Roper decided to leave the program.

We'll see how he does at Notre Dame - my hunch is that we'd have been better off with Roper for 2 more years than Audige for one more, but at this point that really doesn't matter.

I don't see nearly as much heartburn over his usage or him leaving as Young or Nantz. The reason we kept fighting about Young is the wide disagreement about how COllins used - or didn't use - him, and the Nantz following had more to do with the sting of the guy we thought was our best player leaving. ROper... good luck to him, I guess.
Only because you generally have attention to detail on your posts... 😁

Nance:
NANCE_PETE_22_headshot_jpg.jpg

vs.

Nantz:
jimnantz.jpg

Kopp left because he wanted out, not because he thought his minutes were going to be cut. That was just something somebody threw out there to spin Kopp's departure and a small group of people started repeating it.
Gonna disagree with you. Kopp did not have a bright future at NU under Collins, the writing was on the wall. And it turns out Collins was right, Kopp pretty much hit his ceiling by the end of his sophomore year. Of course no one could predict his talents trolling fans on social media, which the IU deranged fan base brought out in him.

Man, you really hate on Audige. Disparage him at every turn. Why? Roper has not shown anywhere near his ability to this point.
I think Roper is going to be good. Expected him to break through last year. Was really pleased we got him over some good Power 6 programs and disappointed he decided to leave.
And yes, I think other NU fans overvalue Audige. Some people on here think he is a great all-around college basketball player. Others are more realistic. Thats not really "hate." Certainly not disparaging. Just realistic.

But I used to state my feelings about Beran getting too much playing time, too.

lets put it this way - I think Roper might/could/will be as good a player next year as Audige was this year. So two years of Roper instead of one year of Audige is automatic for me.

I could not have been more proud of the story of Audige taking his final exam the night before the UCLA game. That’s character and devotion to the cause. With his recognized (by most) All-Big performance and that, he’s earned every right to be supported by NU fans (especially those who talk incessantly about the value of the NU education). One more year of a high character guy like that is likely much healthier for the long term benefit of the program (young players’ development, program reputation) than whatever debatable difference in performance the two of them (plus Roper’s replacement, to make it fair) may have had.

Beran will be missed more than most think. He did what he was asked to do-play defense and hide in the corner on "O" and wait, and wait, and wait for a pass. There is no one that will be able to defend a quality 4. Brooks is a 3 and may move to 2 in his senior year.

Beran will be missed more than most think. He did what he was asked to do-play defense and hide in the corner on "O" and wait, and wait, and wait for a pass. There is no one that will be able to defend a quality 4. Brooks is a 3 and may move to 2 in his senior year.
Don’t sleep on Mart

Kind of 50/50 in my view. We do miss the clear ability of guarding a big 4. Both Hunger and Martinelli are question marks for that.

But, at the same time, Beran was just not very good with non traditional 4's. I can accept he was serviceable with those. But he was not good. It was wildly apparent against UCLA where Barnhizer was far more effective guarding their 4.

The behind the scenes story about Kopp was that his role was diminishing. He wanted to do more but Collins basically told him at the end of the season that he would have a limited role going forward. At least that's what was being said here about the reason for his transfer.
I heard the same thing, DaCat, from our friend the rock-solid source.

The part of the story that can help the piss-on-Collins crowd is they were pushing Kopp with the hope of Simmons. Oops. Pretty dumb.

In general, I don't care about Kopp leaving in and of itself. He was replaceable. So is Roper. Neither are nothing to write home about on a good team. And this is going to happen in the portal world.

My concern is how Collins uses these post-season meetings. Kopp wasn't the first time he challenged the playing time of someone who split. And in theory, I can understand the direction. But there's obviously something off-putting about the way Chrissy handles those discussions with certain players.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
Kind of 50/50 in my view. We do miss the clear ability of guarding a big 4. Both Hunger and Martinelli are question marks for that.

But, at the same time, Beran was just not very good with non traditional 4's. I can accept he was serviceable with those. But he was not good. It was wildly apparent against UCLA where Barnhizer was far more effective guarding their 4.

Beran got bullied by big 4's.
He did a pretty good job as a help defender this year (doubling the post).
The difference there was Nicholson was much better defensively than Nance and could keep his man bottled up long enough for Beran to double.
Beran also came from off the ball to block some shots - so his height helped. But I can't think of one time where he came out to the perimeter to block a shot.

If you put Beran and Barnhizer in a cage and tossed a ball in there, Barnhizer would get it.
And Hunger looks to be a lot stronger than Beran, though probably less athletic.
On offense, Martinelli, Hunger and Barnhizer will all be more assertive than Robbie.

I feel like the big advantage with Beran wasn’t his ability to body up real bigs, it was his height and length matching up well against anybody other than centers while having the quicks to switch onto nearly any other wing player, which NU did a lot. Plus his length and height was nasty in doubles.

If you put Beran and Barnhizer in a cage and tossed a ball in there, Barnhizer would get it.
Agree with this 100%. And that's not even a knock on Robbie - it's just that Brooks just has that dogged determination. There were many plays these last year where it felt like he took it as a personal insult if an opponent got the rebound or loose ball anywhere in his vicinity.

But Beran wasn't a bad rebounder - average 4.5 rpg last year, just a touch below Barnhizer at 4.9.

Reactions: drewjin

The part of the story that can help the piss-on-Collins crowd is they were pushing Kopp with the hope of Simmons. Oops. Pretty dumb.

In general, I don't care about Kopp leaving in and of itself. He was replaceable. So is Roper. Neither are nothing to write home about on a good team. And this is going to happen in the portal world.

My concern is how Collins uses these post-season meetings. Kopp wasn't the first time he challenged the playing time of someone who split. And in theory, I can understand the direction. But there's obviously something off-putting about the way Chrissy handles those discussions with certain players.
I doubt Collins is mean or insulting when he had these end of season meetings with players. He's probably brutally honest, and maybe not what the player wants to hear. Here's how I imagine his conversation went with certain players:

To Miller Kopp: "Look Miller, I know you want to be the focal point of our offense next year and the guy with the ball in his hands at the end of the game, but I gotta tell you, I would rather you work on that 3 point jump shot which you frankly sucked at this year. We can revisit this conversation next year maybe after you can actually create your own shot. And try to smile sometimes, i just want to slap you everytime I see your face. "

To Ryan Young: "Yeah Ryan, I know both you and @PurpleWhiteBoy thought I should've played you more this year but frankly you don't defend well and I see more of the same level of minutes next year. Two words for you - Big Matt."

To Barrett Benson: "Well Barrett, with Dererk graduating, you're asking if you'll be the starter and get most of the big minutes next season. Sorry I don't see it that way, you'll probably get a few more but you'll have to win the job. Frankly you need to work on your quickness, your shooting, your defense, and getting stronger. Did I miss anything?"

I doubt Collins is mean or insulting when he had these end of season meetings with players. He's probably brutally honest, and maybe not what the player wants to hear. Here's how I imagine his conversation went with certain players:

To Miller Kopp: "Look Miller, I know you want to be the focal point of our offense next year and the guy with the ball in his hands at the end of the game, but I gotta tell you, I would rather you work on that 3 point jump shot which you frankly sucked at this year. We can revisit this conversation next year maybe after you can actually create your own shot. And try to smile sometimes, i just want to slap you everytime I see your face. "

To Ryan Young: "Yeah Ryan, I know both you and @PurpleWhiteBoy thought I should've played you more this year but frankly you don't defend well and I see more of the same level of minutes next year. Two words for you - Big Matt."

To Barrett Benson: "Well Barrett, with Dererk graduating, you're asking if you'll be the starter and get most of the big minutes next season. Sorry I don't see it that way, you'll probably get a few more but you'll have to win the job. Frankly you need to work on your quickness, your shooting, your defense, and getting stronger. Did I miss anything?"
100% right. He gave Kopp every opportunity to be the focal point and Kopp was not up to the job. (Bad recruiting decision in hindsight - Saddiq Bey flourished). And if he were not stern in his assessments, he’d rightfully be criticized. And our transfer rate vs. the rest of college basketball’s is way lower. So, it’s pretty odd to think our coach is “off-putting”.

One of the hardest parts of being a manager of people in any field is having to give people you like criticism. Some people are good at receiving it (I imagine Buie and Audige see any criticism as a challenge that they'll overcome) and others are not. Not saying that was the case with any of the examples above, but I can see it happening, especially if Collins isn't as strong as other managers at doing it. Some people hear only the "tough" and others hear only the "love." The best ones can hear both and react accordingly.

I will have to go back and watch the game again at some point but I didn't think that their 4 scored much on Beran. Beran didn't play much and I thought their 4 scored mainly on switches. Barnhizer is much more of a weapon on offense (although certainly not in that game) but I think he may struggle guarding longer 4's. I felt like Beran generally did a really good job on defense last year. You didn't notice him on switches and he did a pretty good job protecting the rim. Very few easy baskets against us last year with him and Nicholson on the court. If Beran and Audige don't return, I think our defense will suffer but hopefully an improved offense will offset it.

Reactions: drewjin and Cataria

Your comment is mainly fiction. Is it meant to be satire?

Kopp played more minutes than anybody else on the roster, the season before he left. Not only that - when Kopp was on the bench, we were awful, getting walloped 291-213. Kopp hit the portal on March 26th. Your version of events requires one to believe that Collins played Kopp more than anyone on his roster, then immediately reversed and told a three year starter that an incoming freshman would be taking minutes from him. Collins is a lot of things, but he isn't schizophrenic. Surely you can see how that story makes zero sense.

Ryan Young was going to start at center for us this past season and Nicholson was an afterthought rotting on the bench as a sophomore. Then Gragg made his "double secret probation" proclamation on March 14th. Young surprised everybody by entering the portal on March 24th and committing to Duke on April 30. The timing of those things made it appear that Young may have been waiting to see if Collins would be fired. (we can't really know - it is possible it was a coincidence). All we know for sure is that Collins thought so little of Nicholson that he only allotted him 36 minutes of Big Ten playing time, despite knowing that Nance was moving on.

As for Barret Benson, its safe to assume he saw both Pete Nance and Ryan Young being ahead of him. Benson had earned his undergrad degree in 3 years and moved on. If he really just wanted to be starter somewhere, whats wrong with that? He gave it his best and graduated early. Can only be proud of him.

I wish our HC in football would handle the discussions in the same manner as the HC in BBall. In football, we have guys that have more years at the school than meaningful snaps on the gridiron.

Reactions: drewjin
I wish our HC in football would handle the discussions in the same manner as the HC in BBall. In football, we have guys that have more years at the school than meaningful snaps on the gridiron.
Fitz commits to the player and the parents. He doesn't run guys off. He tells them they will graduate from Northwestern if they put in the work. Its on him if the guy can't play up to his expectations.

I think that approach is highly commendable.

Hiring friends as prominent assistant coaches is not.

Fitz commits to the player and the parents. He doesn't run guys off. He tells them they will graduate from Northwestern if they put in the work. Its on him if the guy can't play up to his expectations.

I think that approach is highly commendable.

Hiring friends as prominent assistant coaches is not.
No one said to run them off. I believe a Coach has an obligation to give an honest assessment of the players immediate future. That player then can decide what is best for them.

No one said to run them off. I believe a Coach has an obligation to give an honest assessment of the players immediate future. That player then can decide what is best for them.
This.

And anyone who thinks Collins runs off players, they're not paying attention to the scholarship count. There's always extra left over, as @IGNORE2 can and will attest to...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT