ADVERTISEMENT

Roper

Are you not familiar with the transfer portal? We can bring new guards into the program to replace any departing guards. Fear not…the sky is not falling TheCL.
There's a little bit of "believe it when I see it" in TheC's worries, which I also share. Aside from Chase, who was brought in before the existence of the portal, I'd be hard-pressed to name the last effective transfer guard that we brought in. And, not that this affects the team, it is less fun to root for mercenaries than guys we've grown to love over the past four years.

There's a little bit of "believe it when I see it" in TheC's worries, which I also share. Aside from Chase, who was brought in before the existence of the portal, I'd be hard-pressed to name the last effective transfer guard that we brought in. And, not that this affects the team, it is less fun to root for mercenaries than guys we've grown to love over the past four years.

It's not like we're recruiting high school with 100% success either. We've had two successful point guards in a decade and how many misses? The whole thing is a crapshoot. If they wear purple, play hard, and go to class, I can grow to love them.

I don't really see that as his mindset, but, of course, we don't know him so we're guessing.

I always thought of him as a defense-first type of player.
Gritty. Excellent rebounder for his size (the kid can really jump).
Good player in the paint, good passer in the paint. Athletic.
Reluctant shooter but made a reasonably high percentage of his shots.
In short, he seemed ideal for our (Collins) newfound approach to basketball.
With a lot of upside if he started looking for his shot.

Disappointed he decided to leave. I think his ceiling was pretty high.
I think we would've won a couple more games towards the end of the season if Roper were available. I'll bet we beat Penn State at least once if not twice. Losing him hurt, which is why I'm so shocked that he wants to leave.

Reactions: drewjin and Eurocat
That may be true, but how many guys actually enter the portal and then "come crawling back." I suppose with NIL, it may be a way to get leverage with your current school, but it seems like a mild form of blackmail!

Who knows what drives these decisions... I will say this - I found the wording of Roper's twitter announcement to be a little terse.

"I would like to thank Coach Collins for giving me the opportunity to attend such a prestigious university."

It seems like it is missing the phrase "but ultimately its not for me."

I also found it odd that he didn't mention basketball at all. Normally when you thank the coach it isn't for getting you thru admissions - but thats how that sentence reads.
At least 1 NU football player has returned from the portal. I don't know general statistics.

Roper's quandry is that if he waited to see if Audige and Buie returned then there might be a lot less schools looking at getting transfers when entered the portal.

The use of "full stop" is almost always someone trying to cut off debate after a highly flawed statement.
If you wanna cry about players getting paid as if that’s killed some mythical concept of amateurism that never existed, be my guest and waste your time I guess.

And it’s a good thing, full stop, end of sentence. And honestly, to anybody who doesn’t think the athletes who generate all this revenue while coaches and departments get insanely rich don’t deserve some piece of the action for their effort, up yours.

Reactions: macarthur31
If you wanna cry about players getting paid as if that’s killed some mythical concept of amateurism that never existed, be my guest and waste your time I guess.

And it’s a good thing, full stop, end of sentence. And honestly, to anybody who doesn’t think the athletes who generate all this revenue while coaches and departments get insanely rich don’t deserve some piece of the action for their effort, up yours.
If only there were professional leagues where professional athletes can play.

I have no problem with athletes getting paid by the hour like a work/study job that their classmates might also be doing.

Of course, getting full tuition, housing and meals seems like they're already getting paid.

Please admit that or I can't discuss it with you.

Here's the scenario that would disappoint me most. Not saying it is the most likely, but it is certainly possible...

Roper is looking at next year. He sees that Barnhizer will be playing some 4 and plenty 3 because we have also have Martinelli and Hunger to play at the 4. Roper knows he was a starter for a good chunk of his freshman year. He is wondering if Audige is coming back. This is particularly concerning to him, as they are similar players (presumably Roper doesnt view Buie as a rival for playing time).

So even though Roper doesn't know if Audige is returning, he decides he can't stick around to find out, because he wants to play. So he decides to transfer.

The more likely alternative is that Audige has made it known that he is returning.
Have to think he would stay long enough to get the degree before deciding to transfer. Program would seem to be back on an upward trend. Unless he saw himself being knocked back to 10 mpg. Would think he could have a shot at a bunch of Berry minutes if he (Berry) remains inconsistent

Have to think he would stay long enough to get the degree before deciding to transfer. Program would seem to be back on an upward trend. Unless he saw himself being knocked back to 10 mpg. Would think he could have a shot at a bunch of Berry minutes if he (Berry) remains inconsistent
Well, the one scenario that would be really puzzling is if Audige has told players he is NOT coming back. I don't think Roper would leave if he knew that.

There are so many possible explanations... maybe he's having academic problems. Maybe he doesn't like NU. Maybe he doesn't like Coach Collins. Maybe he wants to buy a new car and his father isn't going for it.

On the other hand, if Audige is coming back, with Berry vying for playing time and Barnhizer playing more at the 3, thats not a good scenario for him at all. Even if he thinks he is better than Audige and Berry. Why fight the coach and Audige's NIL deal, which will guarantee him a starting job whether he deserves it or not.

Not to mention the prospect of new guards coming in via the transfer portal.

Well, the one scenario that would be really puzzling is if Audige has told players he is NOT coming back. I don't think Roper would leave if he knew that.

There are so many possible explanations... maybe he's having academic problems. Maybe he doesn't like NU. Maybe he doesn't like Coach Collins. Maybe he wants to buy a new car and his father isn't going for it.

On the other hand, if Audige is coming back, with Berry vying for playing time and Barnhizer playing more at the 3, thats not a good scenario for him at all. Even if he thinks he is better than Audige and Berry. Why fight the coach and Audige's NIL deal, which will guarantee him a starting job whether he deserves it or not.

Not to mention the prospect of new guards coming in via the transfer portal.
Whether Audige deserves the starting job or not?

Whether Audige deserves the starting job or not?
Anytime you pay a guy to play, the source of the money will apply pressure to the coach to play "their guy."
Certain to happen at NU, just like anywhere else.
I would not be surprised if Roper thinks he's just as good as Audige.
But if Audige has financial backers and Roper doesn't, he doesn't have to be a genius to know he's going to get the short end.

Although a nice player, Roper is not as good as Audige. It’s great he might think he is as I wouldn’t want a guy in my team that wasn’t confident, but at this stage there isn’t anything on the court that Roper does better than Audige.

I agree paying them was long overdue. But this statement refuses to acknowledge the existence of shades of gray and nuance, both of which exist in this case.

Although a nice player, Roper is not as good as Audige. It’s great he might think he is as I wouldn’t want a guy in my team that wasn’t confident, but at this stage there isn’t anything on the court that Roper does better than Audige.
While I am not going to argue that Roper is better than Audige, we don't know what he (Roper) will become.
After his freshman season, I had high hopes for him. He did not meet my expectations, primarliy because he didn't shoot often enough. His numbers in his 8 Big Ten games this year suggest that he is a more efficient scorer and a better rebounder than Chase. But unfortunately, the dataset is small. (He made 6 of 13 from 3)

And those attributes may not be enough to make him a Power 6 starter. (although he was that for us in the 2nd half of his freshman season)

My guess is that Roper will be a good one who got away.

Yea but the time to attempt that earlier version where athletes weren’t exploited was *back then.* If fans wanted something other than this, we should have demanded it. But we didn’t, and like the NCAA, we reap what we sow. We just need to accept this is the price of inaction and wait for it to resolve itself. Otherwise we’re that divorced guy at the bar crying into his drink saying woulda coulda shoulda.
I agree that the ship has sailed. It doesn't mean we can't have concerns about the direction it's going and still seek to put some guardrails and boundaries around the current free-for-all environment.

Reactions: drewjin
Mean like back in the hood ole days before big money media contracts and just playing for school pride?

NCAA could stick to guns and find another route to bring back amateurism. I have suggested the availability of scholarships as an avenue. G league plus one of these little football leagues could do some help too. Bring back the rule that no first year student can play until enrolled for at least 12 months. Bring back the mandatory one year sit out rule for transfers, or make two years for extra depth.

This will run all the extremely gifted and very young athletes away from college. And if you do that, TV will shift to those other leagues and college will revert to truly amateur athletics. Games might be available only online, and only the best matchups will get TV time outside something very regional or local.

Interesting concept. Guess it depends: do you want high level athletics or school pride? As I type this out, I’m kinda leaning toward the latter. It’s nice to have NU guys playing professionally, but I really am only interested in watching them at NU.
I don't disagree with you. I think money has taken over the sport in a way that I think most wish it hadn't and that finding a different path would likely necessitate some sacrifices. As you point out, that's unlikely to happen.

Reactions: NURoseBowl
Money can stay, unless the head coach left, make them sit out a year whe transferring.
The NCAA has made it clear that waivers will be tough to get. So player transfers, new coach comes in, player stays because he doesn’t want to sit out a year, new coach doesn’t play him and at end of season says beat it or you’re scout team. Well done, NCAA.

While I am not going to argue that Roper is better than Audige, we don't know what he (Roper) will become.
After his freshman season, I had high hopes for him. He did not meet my expectations, primarliy because he didn't shoot often enough. His numbers in his 8 Big Ten games this year suggest that he is a more efficient scorer and a better rebounder than Chase. But unfortunately, the dataset is small. (He made 6 of 13 from 3)

And those attributes may not be enough to make him a Power 6 starter. (although he was that for us in the 2nd half of his freshman season)

My guess is that Roper will be a good one who got away.
I like Roper as well and certainly think he would have been a positive contributor to our team.

Reactions: NURoseBowl
NU has a couple guard recruits who may compete for playing time. Barnhizer seems to be developing fast as a starter at the WIng. If Chase returns Roper will be a valuable role player. He can have a big role for many schools. HIs decision may be less confusing than some. Michigan Center Hunter Duckinson as a transfer is a much different story.

Reactions: ballerog711
So Duke has a top recruit that wasn’t ready till midseason. We have seen the freshman wall get hit midseason my almost every freshman that ever played heavy minutes at NU.

We have five returning guys. One. Didn’t play a meaningful minute this year. Run that with 2-3 freshman on a seven or eight man rotation? (Without any meaningful injuries btw)? Really?

We used all ten schollies plus walk ons last season. Two injuries and covid meant all schollies on deck.

I think there is a reason why you get 13 schollies.

I have always liked Roper and his energy. Seems like a great kid who is hungry to win. Wherever he goes, hope he crushes it.
I have mixed emotions.... if Roper goes elsewhere and crushes it but left NU because "certain seniors" were screwing around trying to get NIL deals, I won't be thrilled with that. (because he could have crushed it for us)

• Love
I have mixed emotions.... if Roper goes elsewhere and crushes it but left NU because "certain seniors" were screwing around trying to get NIL deals, I won't be thrilled with that. (because he could have crushed it for us)
I hear that - got mixed emotions too, and won't be cheering for him against NU. That said he's leaving with a lot of class. Class is a choice. It's a choice that happens less and less these days. So my view is that it's worth reciprocating and it would be great to see him succeed in life.

Let's hope that Boo comes back if he is not projected to be picked in the draft. Otherwise we better have some transfers lined up and fast. Boo is a very good college player but the nba is a whole different level and don't see him being drafted although I hope he proves me wrong

Except we don’t know exactly why Roper decided to transfer, and we won’t unless he does an interview and spells that out. I wish him all the best either way.

Let's hope that Boo comes back if he is not projected to be picked in the draft. Otherwise we better have some transfers lined up and fast. Boo is a very good college player but the nba is a whole different level and don't see him being drafted although I hope he proves me wrong
I don't expect Boo to be drafted and wouldn't be surprised if he returned to NU next year.

I don't think he will be drafted, but I can see him being invited to a nba sumer league team and getting a two way contract.

I don't expect Boo to be drafted and wouldn't be surprised if he returned to NU next year.
I'm trying to think of a guard who wasn't on NBA radar, then had a good senior season in college and ended up an NBA draft pick. They only draft 60 guys, including the foreign guys and high schoolers, right?

I'm trying to think of a guard who wasn't on NBA radar, then had a good senior season in college and ended up an NBA draft pick. They only draft 60 guys, including the foreign guys and high schoolers, right?
No high schoolers. They have that stupid one-and-done rule.
I don't follow the NBA much, but I'd be interested in how many college seniors actually get drafted. It can't be that many.

Why? Of all the places ...

its sorta negative on several levels. Take your pick...

First of all, its Notre Dame.
Roper apparently wanted to play for Shrewsberry over Collins...
Shrewsberry saw Roper play and liked him enough to solicit him, so that probably means Roper is better than he showed us...
Roper took a step down academic-prestige-wise. Not as bad as Kopp to Indiana, but still - its a football school.
Shrewsberry obviously willing to poach our players and ND will presumably pay them.
Buie and Audige are free agents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT