ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl ending

Alvious

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2010
Behind the Cheddar Curtain
After SC kicked the game winning field goal, almost the entire team raced clear across the field to celebrate right in front of the Penn St fans. Weird.

After SC kicked the game winning field goal, almost the entire team raced clear across the field to celebrate right in front of the Penn St fans. Weird.
I think the kicker, in joyful delirium, ran without thought of where he was going, and the rest of the team followed.

Either that, or he had to go to bathroom.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I think the kicker, in joyful delirium, ran without thought of where he was going, and the rest of the team followed.

Either that, or he had to go to bathroom.
More importantly... since it backfired will Franklin get hung out by his fan base for the long throw which got intercepted rather than playing it safer with the punt and under a minute remaining?

When they ran that obvious sweep to Barkley on third and four with 2:00 left, I thought back to last year when we stuffed a similar telegraphed play (off the wildcat) to Barkley and then beat them on a field goal. Note that Fitz passed on third and four with 2:00 to go vs. Pitt from near his OWN GOAL. Need to be bold when you are the underdog! Hope Fitz remembers that in big games next season.

More importantly... since it backfired will Franklin get hung out by his fan base for the long throw which got intercepted rather than playing it safer with the punt and under a minute remaining?

May have been a poor call but that pass should have been completed. That WR just sat there waiting for the ball to come to him. As a youth coach in many sports , one of the basics that I teach that transcends the sport is to come back to the ball and catch it at it's high point. A WR in football, a basketball player rebounding the ball or an outfielder catching a fly ball are all taught to go get the ball at it's high point. That play is all on the WR.

When they ran that obvious sweep to Barkley on third and four with 2:00 left, I thought back to last year when we stuffed a similar telegraphed play (off the wildcat) to Barkley and then beat them on a field goal. Note that Fitz passed on third and four with 2:00 to go vs. Pitt from near his OWN GOAL. Need to be bold when you are the underdog! Hope Fitz remembers that in big games next season.

Got no problem being aggressive, but those last throws were low percentage plays that had a reasonable possibility of disaster. A hint of invincibility scattered in. Just not smart play calling.

May have been a poor call but that pass should have been completed. That WR just sat there waiting for the ball to come to him. As a youth coach in many sports , one of the basics that transcends sports is come back to the ball and catch it at it's high point. A WR in football, a basketball player rebounding the ball or an outfielder catching a fly ball are all taught to go get the ball at it's high point. That play is all on the WR.

Eh. McSorley stared it down pretty hard as well. Safety was brought right to it.

Eh. McSorley stared it down pretty hard as well. Safety was brought right to it.

That's true but no way the safety get's that ball is the WR cuts the distance by coming back to it. That ball hung up for a while and the safety came all the way across the field. The WR should not have let that happen.

Got no problem being aggressive, but those last throws were low percentage plays that had a reasonable possibility of disaster. A hint of invincibility scattered in. Just not smart play calling.
I was referring to the previous series when it was 49-42. They had the ball on their own 45. I want to avoid giving the ball back to USC at all there. Herbstreit even suggested a short throw by McSorley there with the instruction to run if it wasn't open.

That's true but no way the safety get's that ball is the WR cuts the distance by coming back to it. That ball hung up for a while and the safety came all the way across the field. The WR should not have let that happen.

Pretty easy to ask a kid to stop and adjust to an underthrown ball from your couch. A little different when flying downfield full speed.

Pretty easy to ask a kid to stop and adjust to an underthrown ball from your couch. A little different when flying downfield full speed.

True, but that's not what happened. The replay clearly shows the WR had stopped running and was looking back at the QB. He watched the ball in the air instead of coming back to the ball. This is basic stuff. Had he just come back to it, he would have caught it or at least broken up the interception.

True, but that's not what happened. The replay clearly shows the WR had stopped running and was looking back at the QB. He watched the ball in the air instead of coming back to the ball. This is basic stuff. Had he just come back to it, he would have caught it or at least broken up the interception.

I see a kid who had stopped and was in the process of changing direction being beaten to the spot by a safety with all kinds of momentum.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I watched the final two minutes on DVR, after seeing the 3rd down and punt live.

With 35 seconds left and 3rd and 9 and zero USC timeouts, my thought was 'well, we're headed to overtime.' The percentage of breaking the tie - one down for a relatively large gain, still 35 yards to go after that, and only two timeouts to play with - just made for an obvious conservative call and optimistic coin toss.

Thankfully, James Franklin is seeking always to disprove NU fans who view him as a coward, and his fear of our judgment got the best of him, and - poof - a perfect finish.

McSorley lost his mojo the last few series. Couple that with SC's outstanding QB and receivers eating PSU's smallish cornerbacks alive. Great game, however. How many ways can the Big 10 loses the Rose Bowl?

I was referring to the previous series when it was 49-42. They had the ball on their own 45. I want to avoid giving the ball back to USC at all there. Herbstreit even suggested a short throw by McSorley there with the instruction to run if it wasn't open.

I was very surprised they didn't run some form of play-action there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT