ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Field alternative for 2024/2025?

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
Has anyone heard any *credible* speculation on where we'll play?

Soldier Field feels like the most obvious alternative, especially as momentum for the Bears' move picks up; was just curious if anyone has heard any meaningful chatter about it. Seems like Wrigley would not be viable given the overlap of seasons (but notably...Game 7 of the World Series is scheduled on the same date as NU/Iowa...how funny would that be if the Cubs hedged their bets and all the stars align?)

Asking this question here on the board makes me laugh to myself a bit...NU sports is a small enough community where the AD used to personally email me back at 5 a.m.; I really do believe the answer to this question might exist with someone here on the board. Compare this to bigger programs where everyone insists they know someone who is the brother of someone else in the president's golden circle (or some bullsh*t) when no one actually knows anything but it doesn't stop them from acting like they do :)

Soldier Field feels like the most obvious alternative, especially as momentum for the Bears' move picks up; was just curious if anyone has heard any meaningful chatter about it. Seems like Wrigley would not be viable given the overlap of seasons (but notably...Game 7 of the World Series is scheduled on the same date as NU/Iowa...how funny would that be if the Cubs hedged their bets and all the stars align?)

Asking this question here on the board makes me laugh to myself a bit...NU sports is a small enough community where the AD used to personally email me back at 5 a.m.; I really do believe the answer to this question might exist with someone here on the board. Compare this to bigger programs where everyone insists they know someone who is the brother of someone else in the president's golden circle (or some bullsh*t) when no one actually knows anything but it doesn't stop them from acting like they do :)
I don’t have any inside info, but there really aren’t any alternatives other than Soldier Field, Wrigley Field and/or Guaranteed Rate Field.

I don’t have any inside info, but there really aren’t any alternatives other than Soldier Field, Wrigley Field and/or Guaranteed Rate Field.
DeKalb? (I'd be totally okay with this for most games.)
SeatGeek stadium, perhaps.

I feel like attendance, except for visiting fans, will be dreadful. Therefore, I propose ETHS or equivalent for like half the games (non con plus say MD and RU).

My real choice is to keep Ryan Field with minor modifications. And spend the rest on NIL

DeKalb? (I'd be totally okay with this for most games.)
SeatGeek stadium, perhaps.
There is precedent for NU using SeatGeek (under its previous name).

I’d prefer too small to too large, and I’d prefer all options to a baseball stadium.

Current rumor (maybe more than a rumor) is that games after baseball season will be at Wrigley, games during baseball season will be at Soldier Field. IMO, it would make sense to move some of the small-draw early games to SeatGeek (I'm sure the rental is much less than Soldier Field), but it doesn't sound like that's the plan.

curious if they have considered playing more of the non-conference games away. maybe in areas where we have strong alumni bases. Seems like you have choices ; either get real big names for the non-cons (ND etc) or just play away against a school where alumni who usually don't make the trip to Chicago would be glad to see us. I was thinking Army but I really don't want to play Army, play a local rival like maybe NIU or maybe make an appearance in an area where we would like to make a recruiting inroads like say Atlanta against Georgia Tech. Just don't see a lot on NU or fans from say Central Michigan heading to Soldier Field. ?

Reactions: Ryanfield124
curious if they have considered playing more of the non-conference games away. maybe in areas where we have strong alumni bases.
Right now, NU has home games scheduled against Miami and Duke in 2024, and at Tulane in 2025. Neither of these '24 games have big alumni
bases. But NU usually plays well on the road so it wouldn't be the end of the world to move them rather than play in a sparsely attended Soldier Field.

Looking ahead, the '26 schedule features SDSU and Price's Colorado as home games to christen the new Ryan Field. Quite a gauntlet to say the least. Fitz better have his act together.

curious if they have considered playing more of the non-conference games away. maybe in areas where we have strong alumni bases. Seems like you have choices ; either get real big names for the non-cons (ND etc) or just play away against a school where alumni who usually don't make the trip to Chicago would be glad to see us. I was thinking Army but I really don't want to play Army, play a local rival like maybe NIU or maybe make an appearance in an area where we would like to make a recruiting inroads like say Atlanta against Georgia Tech. Just don't see a lot on NU or fans from say Central Michigan heading to Soldier Field. ?
I'm only speculating here but,

1. I bet there is next to a zero chance we give any home games away, for perception alone. Home games are like penis size in college sports.

2. Given the history of our program, I suspect Gragg isn't overly concerned about the net revenue of playing outside of Evanston. The TV money is what really drives the bus; I would assume he's mostly concerned about finding a temp home that is basically affordable and respectable (so...not a high school). To me, SeatGeek Stadium would be the most far-out of the potential options, and that's still in the Chicagoland footprint...then you just shuttle the students down there with the promise of free t-shirts and hot chocolate. Whatever fans you lose from Elk Grove Village because they don't want to drive, you'll gain from people in Oak Lawn, and it's only for one season.

To be honest, now that I think about it, SeatGeek Stadium might be the most promising option. It's just sitting down there collecting dust; would be easier to fill than other options, Soldier Field would probably be "better" but also likely more expensive, and we won't deliver 60K fans for anything.

This would have made the most sense. They could have scheduled home-and-home series with six teams, and all the games would be played away during construction. Likewise, they could have gotten the B1G to have them have the smaller home schedule of four games at home during construction, but the five game home B1G schedule the year before and the year after construction. This would mean they would only have to schedule eight games at a different venue over the course of two seasons.

The downside would be playing 8 away games each of those two years.

This is not a consideration. Posters here were bitching about giving up a home game to play in Dublin. The thought of playing in an opposing teams’ stadium is unthinkable.

1. I bet there is next to a zero chance we give any home games away, for perception alone. Home games are like penis size in college sports.

2. Given the history of our program, I suspect Gragg isn't overly concerned about the net revenue of playing outside of Evanston. The TV money is what really drives the bus; I would assume he's mostly concerned about finding a temp home that is basically affordable and respectable (so...not a high school). To me, SeatGeek Stadium would be the most far-out of the potential options, and that's still in the Chicagoland footprint...then you just shuttle the students down there with the promise of free t-shirts and hot chocolate. Whatever fans you lose from Elk Grove Village because they don't want to drive, you'll gain from people in Oak Lawn, and it's only for one season.

To be honest, now that I think about it, SeatGeek Stadium might be the most promising option. It's just sitting down there collecting dust; would be easier to fill than other options, Soldier Field would probably be "better" but also likely more expensive, and we won't deliver 60K fans for anything.
SeatGeek has 5 soccer or rugby teams playing there according to Wikipedia so it isn't collecting dust, but it is underutilized. Its 20,000 capacity would be great for non-con. Lot's of space for tailgating!

Reactions: Zootcat
This is not a consideration. Posters here were bitching about giving up a home game to play in Dublin. The thought of playing in an opposing teams’ stadium is unthinkable.
If it would be the way I envision it, you would schedule home-and home games with six teams of equal or greater standing (not MAC schools where you would just be paying them to play at your field). You would be away for Duke, Vandy, ,and Stanford for all of one of the years, but you would have all three at home one of the years at the new stadium. You are not giving up a game. You would just be moving it to another year. Season tickets would be lower one year, but more the year you have them at home.

I am a fan of the Seat Geek Stadium option. I would rather pack that place with purple instead of having a half empty Soldier Field with a lot of the opponent's fans.

Plus it would be an easier drive for me coming from Michigan to get to the games and home after.

Also, the Middle Eastern food options in that neighborhood after the game would be very nice.

I wonder if the Sears Center or the Allstate Arena are options...both have hosted some of the crazy alternate professional leagues...would be inside but not to far....As for posters bitching about giving up a home game....where were those posters for the SIU and Miami games last year or UMASS the year b4? Those turnouts were embarrassing.

Here is the issue with Soldier Field. The City of Chicago has its hand in everything. The location is a turn-off for NU fans and most games regardless of who you play will make that place look empty. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Also, lets not forget that the Bears will be playing next day so I think the NFL will have some say about NUs JV team tearing up the (already shitty) field 24 hours prior to elite million-dollar athletes playing on Sunday. Is it worth pissing off the NFL for NU?

Seatgeek can be made to feel like a Northwestern environment but would be light on seats for visitors. Too bad for them.

Reactions: NUCat320
Here is the issue with Soldier Field. The City of Chicago has its hand in everything. The location is a turn-off for NU fans and most games regardless of who you play will make that place look empty. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Also, lets not forget that the Bears will be playing next day so I think the NFL will have some say about NUs JV team tearing up the (already shitty) field 24 hours prior to elite million-dollar athletes playing on Sunday. Is it worth pissing off the NFL for NU?

Seatgeek can be made to feel like a Northwestern environment but would be light on seats for visitors. Too bad for them.
How about made-for-TV events against non-conference opponents in the new practice facility? There is a full sized football field but essentially no room for spectators and we would still have home field advantage. Some of the women's sports teams have a few games there.

Reactions: StreamCat
I wonder if the Sears Center or the Allstate Arena are options...both have hosted some of the crazy alternate professional leagues...would be inside but not to far....As for posters bitching about giving up a home game....where were those posters for the SIU and Miami games last year or UMASS the year b4? Those turnouts were embarrassing.
The team is embarrassing

Well no construction permits have been issued by Evanston, as anti stadium residents and officials refuse to compromise on the ordinance being revised and other areas thus far

Reactions: phatcat
I was at both those games last year, plus Duke and ILL. And it made me ILL

Well no construction permits have been issued by Evanston, as anti stadium residents and officials refuse to compromise on the ordinance being revised and other areas thus far

If it means we keep our 48,000 seat stadium instead of trading it for a 30,000 seat tomb I say - great.

Spend the money on getting great players in town. Spruce up the stadium a tad and spend mega millions on getting the best players you can and then NU football will be good to go in this new era.

If it means we keep our 48,000 seat stadium instead of trading it for a 30,000 seat tomb I say - great.

Spend the money on getting great players in town. Spruce up the stadium a tad and spend mega millions on getting the best players you can and then NU football will be good to go in this new era.
I betcha you could get a nice upgrade for $150M, set aside 100M for the NIL (remember, it is all private fundraising) and save half a billion

Spend the half billion on athletes for the next 20 years. Nattys one after another.

Reactions: phatcat

If this happens, the NFL will schedule the Bears on the road (or a bye week) on weekends where NU is at Soldier Field.

Also, there is no good solution here. Nobody is going to go to these games, whether they're on the lakefront or in Bridgeview or anywhere else.

Who you calling nobody?

Ha, I'll still be going as well. But I expect there to be plenty of good seats available unless we're playing Nebraska or something.

Wrigley is the best draw of any of the locations and will likely get good student attendance, but of course we can only play there in November.

Reactions: StreamCat
Ha, I'll still be going as well. But I expect there to be plenty of good seats available unless we're playing Nebraska or something.

Wrigley is the best draw of any of the locations and will likely get good student attendance, but of course we can only play there in November.
I'm 2 hours from Ryan Field. An extra 40 mins to the named places doesn't bother me, although I'd expect parking near Wrigley to be problematic.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Here's my suggestions for parking at Wrigley: you can pay a lot of money to park near the stadium. Or, drive at most a half mile away from the field - either to the west or north, park for free (or lower-cost street parking), and walk to the stadium.

Are we missing any *realistic* options besides Wrigley, Soldier Field, and (possibly?) SeatGeek Stadium?

Here's my suggestions for parking at Wrigley: you can pay a lot of money to park near the stadium. Or, drive at most a half mile away from the field - either to the west or north, park for free (or lower-cost street parking), and walk to the stadium.

Also pretty easy to hop an L for a couple stops, costs a couple bucks but the parking itself should also be cheaper. Can also make it easier to get out of the city, as fighting to get out of Wrigleyville is always a pain in the butt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT