ADVERTISEMENT

Same old, same old

FitzFan

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
Apologies if this is a bit ranty.

The old saying is "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." I like Fitz (thus the username FitzFan) and think he is a great representative of the university. However, we continue to do the same damn thing year in and year out with the same damn staff year in and year out. And, unsurprisingly, the results have been pretty consistent. We continue to start slow. Not just at the beginning of each season, but at the beginning of each game, as well. Our O-line continues to suck, and we have no running game as a result despite having an NFL-level talent at RB. All of these issues continue to plague us, yet we expect different results year after year after year.

I think the bowl game win last season really tempered the frustrations a lot of us were feeling towards the staff. But I think a majority of us still believe that changes need to be made to improve the team. Fitz, I think, is safe, and deservedly so. Like I said, he's a great representative of the school and his team and generally brings out the best in the guys he coaches–both on the field and in the classroom. But he's shown a frustrating stubbornness to make any changes to the staff, and that is his biggest issue at the moment. Cushing needs to go. I'm tired of seeing no development on the line. It's been a solid 5 years since we've had an above average line, and that's on him whether it's due to coaching or recruiting. Other members of the staff should be on thin ice, too. In the real world, you get let go when your work is subpar and failing to meet expectations.

I've kept quiet during previous "fire _____" rants, but at this point the same crappy patterns are so well established that I think it would be crazy to not make a change to something–anything, really. It's been frustrating to watch.

Like I've been saying...

We will never win a championship with Fitz if he continues his same pattern of leadership and members of his staff who can't coach.

Cushing in particular

Reactions: 2388bb and catfans5
Maybe

The old saying is "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." I like Fitz (thus the username FitzFan) and think he is a great representative of the university. However, we continue to do the same damn thing year in and year out with the same damn staff year in and year out. And, unsurprisingly, the results have been pretty consistent. We continue to start slow. Not just at the beginning of each season, but at the beginning of each game, as well. Our O-line continues to suck, and we have no running game as a result despite having an NFL-level talent at RB. All of these issues continue to plague us, yet we expect different results year after year after year.

I think the bowl game win last season really tempered the frustrations a lot of us were feeling towards the staff. But I think a majority of us still believe that changes need to be made to improve the team. Fitz, I think, is safe, and deservedly so. Like I said, he's a great representative of the school and his team and generally brings out the best in the guys he coaches–both on the field and in the classroom. But he's shown a frustrating stubbornness to make any changes to the staff, and that is his biggest issue at the moment. Cushing needs to go. I'm tired of seeing no development on the line. It's been a solid 5 years since we've had an above average line, and that's on him whether it's due to coaching or recruiting. Other members of the staff should be on thin ice, too. In the real world, you get let go when your work is subpar and failing to meet expectations.

I've kept quiet during previous "fire _____" rants, but at this point the same crappy patterns are so well established that I think it would be crazy to not make a change to something–anything, really. It's been frustrating to watch.
Fitz can be "promoted" to AD, where he can continue his great representation of the school.

Please send that to Dr. Phillips.

Reactions: Spoonman04

I try to stay in my lane on the "fire the coach" crowd too, but a one eyed blind man can see that we have not done the job on the OL.

Reactions: FitzFan
The second Phillips gets involved in hiring/firing decisions on assistant coaches is the second you can kiss goodbye the hope of ever having a decent head football coach.
Who but to say something to Fitz but his boss. Not that it isn't blatantly obvious. This program is doing moderately well, but is not making progress, in spite of good recruiting. Will I eat my words by the end of the season?

Last edited:
Who but to say something to Fitz but his boss. Not that it isn't blatantly obvious. This program is doing moderately well, but is not making progress, in spite of good recruiting. Will I eat my words by the ned of the season?

If Phillips says "we need something to change, Fitz" that's something different from "you need to fire Coach X, Y, and Z." No self-respecting coach is going to take a job where the AD makes staff decisions.

If Phillips says "we need something to change, Fitz" that's something different from "you need to fire Coach X, Y, and Z." No self-respecting coach is going to take a job where the AD makes staff decisions.
Agree with this. The key is making that a productive conversation that forces Fitz to self identify the areas of failure. My question th him would be "you publicly called out the play of the OL that last 2 seasons, how do you feel about their progress"?

It's the bosses job to get results. Fitz openly talks about winning championships. That's his stated goal. He hasn't come close to winning anything and it certainly looks like he won't come close again this year (his 12th year at the helm). If that doesn't warrant a conversation, then I don't know what would.

If Fitz doesn't like getting his feather ruffled, too bad. He's getting paid a **** ton of money. He won't walk

"If you're married you can divorce your wife,
But if you're married to Fitz, then you're married for life."

Such is the state of NU football. And everybody on the staff is family. No ass't coaches are going anywhere.

No way for Big JP to fix this, but this is a rare moment when NU has an AD that can hire HCs and he's never gonna get a shot at football, where he might make the most impt hire in the history of NU sports, save Barnett.

WASS

Reactions: Colonel Kong
Who but to say something to Fitz but his boss. Not that it isn't blatantly obvious. This program is doing moderately well, but is not making progress, in spite of good recruiting. Will I eat my words by the end of the season?
Perhaps the way this could be handled:
Phillips: "I’m concerned that the staff in total is not getting all the results we expect. Clearly it’s your job, not mine, to hire/retain or replace the guys you’ve got. But what I want to discuss with you no later than the end of this season, is your forced ranking of the staff members. Start with the best and most valuable (and/or hardest to replace) at the top down to the least productive considering his length of experience and most easily replaceable at the bottom. Sometimes change just needs to be made in order to break out of a pattern, and if we need to make that happen then the list you come up with will tell us who specifically should be replaced."

Phillips will not step in unless and until the team and/or Fitz starts getting bad national press.

Phillips will not step in unless and until the team and/or Fitz starts getting bad national press.
Well then that will never happen. The team went 1-7 in conference play four years ago, and Fitz never really sweated it, much less made any staff changes. The national media has limited expectations, at best, for this program. 3-5 in conference play the next year, and still no changes.

Well then that will never happen. The team went 1-7 in conference play four years ago, and Fitz never really sweated it, much less made any staff changes. The national media has limited expectations, at best, for this program. 3-5 in conference play the next year, and still no changes.
The university, the AD, the coaching staff, and the general public are fine with averaging 6 wins a year

You're right. Your post was the same, old same old. How many times do I have to read that same old definition of insanity. Arggggh!

Reactions: Fitz51
Of course, the general public doesn't care. They are more concerned with paying their bills, keeping their family safe, and the nuclear situation in North Korea.
If Ohio State or Michigan or USC or Florida win 8-9 games per season, their coaches are on the hot seat. At Northwestern, that's a good season. Those are the expectations of the fans ("general public") and the national media. Fitz can get away with a lower level of success than most other coaches can. That was the point of the comment.

If Ohio State or Michigan or USC or Florida win 8-9 games per season, their coaches are on the hot seat. At Northwestern, that's a good season. Those are the expectations of the fans ("general public") and the national media. Fitz can get away with a lower level of success than most other coaches can. That was the point of the comment.

Ok, if this site represents the general public of NU fans, I think it is safe to say 6 wins is not acceptable. There is outrage all over the board after that stinker.

Objectively, catching up to CONSISTENTLY get to 10 wins and being mentioned in the same breath as OSU, Michigan, USC, and Florida is VERY difficult for any coach. The schools you mention have excellent tradition, extraordinary fan support, top notch facilities ( read stadium), they own recruiting in their own fertile states, limited academic entry requirements, and a social environment many would envy.

My expectation is certainly to be in that 8 win range consistently and occasionally win at least a Division title. You might call that setting the bar to low, but not recognizing the competitive disadvantages which are real is factored in.

None of this excuses what we saw yesterday. Although we can't control many of the disadvantages I outlined, we can control who we have developing the players that get here. Tired of hearing we all own this. No, when it is an extended pattern of poor results, the staff owns it. I am as big of a Fitz backer as we have here, but it is time he addresses the situation.

Ok, if this site represents the general public of NU fans, I think it is safe to say 6 wins is not acceptable. There is outrage all over the board after that stinker.

Objectively, catching up to CONSISTENTLY get to 10 wins and being mentioned in the same breath as OSU, Michigan, USC, and Florida is VERY difficult for any coach. The schools you mention have excellent tradition, extraordinary fan support, top notch facilities ( read stadium), they own recruiting in their own fertile states, limited academic entry requirements, and a social environment many would envy.

My expectation is certainly to be in that 8 win range consistently and occasionally win at least a Division title. You might call that setting the bar to low, but not recognizing the competitive disadvantages which are real is factored in.

None of this excuses what we saw yesterday. Although we can't control many of the disadvantages I outlined, we can control who we have developing the players that get here. Tired of hearing we all own this. No, when it is an extended pattern of poor results, the staff owns it. I am as big of a Fitz backer as we have here, but it is time he addresses the situation.
I agree that it may be unrealistic to expect NU to perform consistently at the same level as the traditional powerhouses. That said, Fitz has stated that his goal is to win conference and national championships. During his tenure, he hasn't come close, and that's worth examining and discussing.

This could be an interesting dilemma to get past. It is sort of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Phillips has shown to be a very good administrator and as far as I can tell has made some really excellent hires during his tenure. I don't follow all the sports but certainly the Chris Collins hire is panning out and The women's BB coach has an excellent reputation and moderate success. I seem to remember people being pretty excited about other hires but I don't remember the details (possibly that was all homerism).
Fitz has been stubborn about coaching changes and it occurs to me that finding superior assistants might be his weakness. He may have no passion for that one aspect. He is really good at many things for NU but if finding coaching talent isn't his strong suit, he would do well to ask for assistance from an expert. Apparently though that is unacceptable and could end up being his downfall. It is kind of a conundrum.

I would think that yesterdays loss/slaughter at Duke is about as bad as it gets nationally. Oh wait, if they stink it up again vs. Bowling Green, they're might be some negative headlines. Just think what happens when NU's O and D lines go against, Wisconsin, Pen St. and Io-a.

I would think that yesterdays loss/slaughter at Duke is about as bad as it gets nationally. Oh wait, if they stink it up again vs. Bowling Green, they're might be some negative headlines. Just think what happens when NU's O and D lines go against, Wisconsin, Pen St. and Io-a.
As bad as last year's loss to Illinois State? Or the 1-7 conference record in 2013? No way.

Fitz used the surprise 2015 season as justification for his decision to not make changes. But then last season was another disappointment, and this one is starting out poorly as well. Unless he turns things around this season (which I hope happens), that would be four bad to mediocre seasons in five years.

Reactions: Fitz51

My bet is, if prodded, he may let one coach go at the end of the season. Recruiting has been good, so I wouldn't want to lose any good reciters, but I believe it is time to reassess the entire offensive coaching staff.

My bet is, if prodded, he may let one coach go at the end of the season. Recruiting has been good, so I wouldn't want to lose any good reciters, but I believe it is time to reassess the entire offensive coaching staff.
I think the NCAA rules were changed to allow another (tenth?) full time coach on the staff at the end of this year, so It's not necessarily an issue of letting anyone go. We'll see what happens.

Of course, making decisions (or not making them, whatever the case) is so much easier when you have a ten-year contract.

I think the NCAA rules were changed to allow another (tenth?) full time coach on the staff at the end of this year, so It's not necessarily an issue of letting anyone go. We'll see what happens.
That will be the excuse.

As bad as last year's loss to Illinois State? Or the 1-7 conference record in 2013? No way.

Fitz used the surprise 2015 season as justification for his decision to not make changes. But then last season was another disappointment, and this one is starting out poorly as well. Unless he turns things around this season (which I hope happens), that would be four bad to mediocre seasons in five years.

You know it's bad when your silver lining is that it isn't as bad as the loss to Illinois State.

The second Phillips gets involved in hiring/firing decisions on assistant coaches is the second you can kiss goodbye the hope of ever having a decent head football coach.

Decent? The only decent coach ever at NU has been Fits under Phillis? Some might contend that Fitz is not even decent in various aspects of coaching. And no AD in NCAA FB gets involved in asst coaching decisions. Or is Fitz just special and especially talented in identifying good coaches? Same for the NFL GM? Does Theo get involved in any of these type of decisions?

Kinda reminds me of a former bb coach at NU that rose the program but then stalled out. What ever happened to that guy? How has that program been since?

Duke/NU playing football isn't really on the national radar.

Decent? The only decent coach ever at NU has been Fits under Phillis? Some might contend that Fitz is not even decent in various aspects of coaching. And no AD in NCAA FB gets involved in asst coaching decisions. Or is Fitz just special and especially talented in identifying good coaches? Same for the NFL GM? Does Theo get involved in any of these type of decisions?

An AD issuing directives about individual assistant coaches would basically mean head coaches (who want control over their program) would avoid working under Phillips.

An AD issuing directives about individual assistant coaches would basically mean head coaches (who want control over their program) would avoid working under Phillips.

Great non answer. And I want a billion bucks...but that won't happen either. Also, Fitz is signed for how long? JP making AC decisions would cause Fitz to walk away? And we aren't likely to sign urban ever, so you are saying a hot mid major coach would pass on a big stage opportunity and big money because the AD stepped in a bad coaching situation and asserted some authority?

Sorry, not buying it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT