ADVERTISEMENT

Same old, same old....

We will most likely end up winning (knock on wood) but we are now about 9 straight quarters dating to the second half of Purdue of some terrible play. It’s not overreacting, it’s serious concern. From execution to just some terrible, boneheaded coaching decisions.

It is overreacting. Football has ebbs and flows but ultimately the better team wins most of the time. NU is the better team tonight and they’ll use this game to get better and ready for Michigan.

Sorry, saying that not taking the FG there is stupid is not second guessing, it's straight up fact. Totally dumb.
Have to agree. Makeable field goal, would put us up by 2 scores, more downside than up for that gamble.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Well, Akron figured out we can't defend a pass. That is unfortunate....

I think Fitz passed on the FG attempt because he has no confidence in Kuhbander. That is also unfortunate.

My.....we're bad....

Wow, the trifecta. Do you think making the same petulant post across three threads will actually keep me quiet? How old are you? You’re either ten or seventy five. What a curmudgeon.
Why do you have this incessant need to lecture everyone all the time on here... especially on a night when people are feeling pretty upset about how crappy we look? So people are disappointed at how bad we are. What the hell is wrong with that? We're venting on a silly message board. We're not out setting cars on fire.

Wow, the trifecta. Do you think making the same petulant post across three threads will actually keep me quiet? How old are you? You’re either ten or seventy five. What a curmudgeon.
Stop lecturing me. Tell me again how good we are.

Why do you have this incessant need to lecture everyone all the time on here... especially on a night when people are feeling pretty upset about how crappy we look? So people are disappointed at how bad we are. What the hell is wrong with that? We're venting on a silly message board. We're not out setting cars on fire.

I didn’t lecture anyone. I posted an observation that reading posts on this board is like riding a roller coaster. That didn’t sit well with some of the resident pessimists.

And how do they not have any far side angle whatsoever? Never mind. Akron is far outplaying us in this game and WE were only in it because of their self inflicted penalties and mistakes.

Stop lecturing me. Tell me again how good we are.

I am not lecturing you. You are the one replying to my posts and telling me to “shut up”? Who the hell do you think you are?

You obviously have not paid much attention to my posts. I’ve said repeatedly since the Purdue game that we are not very good right now and said in my first post tonight that this would be a tough game.

Reactions: Bwm57
I am not lecturing you. You are the one replying to my posts and telling me to “shut up”? Who the hell do you think you are?

You obviously have not paid much attention to my posts. I’ve said repeatedly since the Purdue game that we are not very good right now and said in my first post tonight that this would be a tough game.
Perhaps if you stop your labeling of posters as Chicken Littles and Pessimists when they level honest criticism about this team and coaching, and those posters will not react as viscerally. And stop couching it as optimism. We do not revel in craptastic performances and losses like tonight's. No "I told you so's". This sucks as much for fans who don't believe we are good as much as you "optimists." Sorry for the intemperate comments, but frankly, I don't appreciate being called labeled "Chicken Little" for calling a turd a turd.

Perhaps if you stop your labeling of posters as Chicken Littles and Pessimists when they level honest criticism about this team and coaching, and those posters will not react as viscerally. And stop couching it as optimism. We do not revel in craptastic performances and losses like tonight's. No "I told you so's". This sucks as much for fans who don't believe we are good as much as you "optimists." Sorry for the intemperate comments, but frankly, I don't appreciate being called labeled "Chicken Little" for calling a turd a turd.

I call it the way I see it. If you don't like it, that's too bad. You can keep posting your hysteria and I can keep calling you out for it. As someone else posted earlier, sometime next week most of you will realize how ridiculous your posts truly were. Tonight's game sucked but in the end it's just one game. We are not very good right now but we have plenty of time to turn this around. We have done so in the last several seasons but somehow none of you learned your lessons from those experiences. I for one will continue to support the team in a positive manner and you can chose to do whatever the frick you want.

I call it the way I see it. If you don't like it, that's too bad. You can keep posting your hysteria and I can keep calling you out for it. As someone else posted earlier, sometime next week most of you will realize how ridiculous your posts truly were. Tonight's game sucked but in the end it's just one game. We are not very good right now but we have plenty of time to turn this around. We have done so in the last several seasons but somehow none of you learned your lessons from those experiences. I for one will continue to support the team in a positive manner and you can chose to do whatever the frick you want.
Yes, we have turned it around in the last several seasons. Having said that, if we truly want to contend for West titles and Big 10 titles we can't lose to Akron. We can't look so bad early in the season year after year. Our offense is boring and stale. Something has to change. Fitz has everything he needs except for a rabid home field advantage. He needs to make changes necessary to improve position groups that have consistently underperformed. If I was Mr. Ryan I would be pissed after today.

DB's getting burned on long passes.
Predictable offense.
Handoff to Larkin every time.
Can't protect QB when we do pass.
Making a lousy Akron team look decent.
Missing gimme field goals.

:mad:

Hey buddy, where you been? Haven't seen you post much at all lately then all of a sudden the hyperposting tonight. I wonder why....

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Forget competing for west title, lets just compete. With remaining schedule, going bowling will be tough. Whats worse is next year we lose Thorson, 4/5 of O line and our best DT, LB and corner.

Yes, we have turned it around in the last several seasons. Having said that, if we truly want to contend for West titles and Big 10 titles we can't lose to Akron. We can't look so bad early in the season year after year. Our offense is boring and stale. Something has to change. Fitz has everything he needs except for a rabid home field advantage. He needs to make changes necessary to improve position groups that have consistently underperformed. If I was Mr. Ryan I would be pissed after today.

I don't disagree. What you posted here is a thoughtful, measured response. The "we won't win another game, fire the entire coaching staff, Akron has more talent than us posts" are the uninformed, schizophrenic posts that I push back on. Our offense has limitations by design. McCall is limited to calling plays that help us mitigate/hide what has been a long time problem on the Offensive Line. I think this is not as much a function of talent as it is a talent development issue although our recruiting on the OL has not picked up over time like in other areas because of our poor track record of talent development. I've been advocating for a change for several years and am critical of Fitz for being stubborn about this. I believe he is aware there is a problem and I think he is coming around to the realization that a change has to be made but in the interim his stubbornness and loyalty has cost us opportunities to be a better team than what we have been in the last several years. That's the way I see it.

Last edited:
DB's getting burned on long passes.
Predictable offense.
Handoff to Larkin every time.
Can't protect QB when we do pass.
Making a lousy Akron team look decent.
Missing gimme field goals.

:mad:

Can someone remind me. Is this the same joker that kept whining and bitching about Carmody getting canned and how Collins sucked on the hoops board? Or am I remembering a different DocCat?

Can someone remind me. Is this the same joker that kept whining and bitching about Carmody getting canned and how Collins sucked on the hoops board? Or am I remembering a different DocCat?
Or is it the guy who was apologizing to Wisconsin fans when we beat them - or are they all the same?

Different guy , similar name. You are thinking of DocCatsFan who was the father of the punk kid who wrote for InsideNU, Always looking for ways of attacking Collins

I don't disagree. What you posted here is a thoughtful, measured response. The "we won't win another game, fire the entire coaching staff, Akron has more talent than us posts" are the uninformed, schizophrenic posts that I push back on. Our offense has limitations by design. McCall is limited to calling plays that help us mitigate/hide what has been a long time problem on the Offensive Line. I think this is not as much a function of talent as it is a talent development issue although our recruiting on the OL has not picked up over time like in other areas because of our poor track record of talent development. I've been advocating for a change for several years and am critical of Fitz for being stubborn about this. I believe he is aware there is a problem and I think he is coming around to the realization that a change has to be made but in the interim his stubbornness and loyalty has cost us opportunities to be a better team than what we have been in the last several years. That's the way I see it.

But he’s been the coach for 13 years. And you think he may be just now starting to begin to come around to this? What else is he just now beginning to come around to? The automobile? Air conditioning? The intercontinental railroad? :)

Last edited:
But he’s been the coach for 13 years. And you think he may be just now starting to begin to come around to this? What else is just now beginning to come around to? The automobile? Air conditioning? The intercontinental railroad? :)

Didn't I say that Fitz was being stubborn and loyal to a fault on this issue? Fitz is deserving of significant criticism when it comes to this.

Didn't I say that Fitz was being stubborn and loyal to a fault on this issue? Fitz is deserving of significant criticism when it comes to this.

Yes. You did. And I’m not sensing that you’re here to apologize for his stubbornness. But when I think about it, people who stubbornly refuse to accept the obvious for great lengths of time (I think 13 years qualifies) tend to go down in history as some its biggest fools. I really hated typing that but I had Bill Wirtz in mind when I wrote it. Look what happened to the Hawks as soon as Dollar Bill was gone and Rocky embraced the obvious.

This level of stubbornness tends to tarnish otherwise illustrious legacies.

Last edited:
Yes. You did. And I’m not sensing that you’re here to apologize for his stubbornness. But when I think about it, people who stubbornly refuse to accept the obvious for great lengths of time (I think 13 years qualifies) tend to go down in history as some its biggest fools. I really hated typing that but I had Bill Wirtz in mind when I wrote it. Look what happened to the Hawks as soon as Dollar Bill was gone and Rocky embraced the obvious.

The difference is that with Fitz it's more about loyalty to an individual that has been with him from the beginning whereas with Mr. Wirtz it was just an overall resistance to change. Wirtz didn't change anything about how the Blackhawks were run for the last 30 years. As I age, I am acutely aware that we become more resistant to change as we get older. My view is that Fitz overall has been open to change but not at the expense of loyalty.

The difference is that with Fitz it's more about loyalty to an individual that has been with him from the beginning whereas with Mr. Wirtz it was just an overall resistance to change. Wirtz didn't change anything about how the Blackhawks were run for the last 30 years. As I age, I am acutely aware that we become more resistant to change as we get older. My view is that Fitz overall has been open to change but not at the expense of loyalty.
What are you seeing that makes you believe Fitz is coming around to the realization a change needs to be made? I hope this is true, but it has been painfully obvious for a long period of time. The thing that scares me is we likely will be starting a lot of very young players next year and I think we could be worse of the O Line than this year.

What are you seeing that makes you believe Fitz is coming around to the realization a change needs to be made? I hope this is true, but it has been painfully obvious for a long period of time. The thing that scares me is we likely will be starting a lot of very young players next year and I think we could be worse of the O Line than this year.

See the posts I made about his post game comments last week. He left very little to the imagination. He flat out called out Cushing and the OL for being inadequately prepared and even unfavorably contrasted their performance to the performance of our DL.

Actually, Wirtz was all about loyalty too. He said he’d never put the games on TV out of loyalty to the season reservation holders. If we heard it once, we heard it a hundred times. So I don’t see a difference. I see a parallel.

I was really excited about this season. More excited than I’ve even been. I believed that things had changed. I’m disappointed now. I think I’m seeing now that my purple glasses were about six shades of purple too strong.

Nothing’s going to change until Fitz changes and decides to clean house.

Actually, Wirtz was all about loyalty too. He said he’d never put the games on TV out of loyalty to the season reservation holders. If we heard it once, we heard it a hundred times. So I don’t see a difference. I see a parallel.

I was really excited about this season. More excited than I’ve even been. I believed that things had changed. I’m disappointed now. I think I’m seeing now that my purple glasses were about six shades of purple too strong.

Nothing’s going to change until Fitz changes and decides to clean house.
Or just maybe he leaves for a better job. AD? Michigan?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT