ADVERTISEMENT

SEC struggling

Purple Pile Driver

Gold Member
May 14, 2014
Anywhere but the Rant Board
SEC awful so far. Needs its big boys to come through to save face.

Miss State beats Miami of OH by 1 after Miami botches two makeable kicks.
Vandy spanked by NC State
Texas A&M lost to Kansas State
South Florida tops South Carolina.
Arkansas has melt down after leading 24-0 at half against Va Tech.

All 5 have looked bad. Sick of that SEC chant.

Edit-forget A&M's lackluster performance.

Last edited:
With the exception of Alabama, every S EC team lost at least four games this year. Nine of the 14 teams lost at least five games.

Then maybe we don't really know whether Bama is as dominant as usual despite their record. They whacked USC but that was game 1 before SC got rolling. Perhaps U Dub has a legitimate shot at Bama.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
The B1G has had a decent start, but let's not dump too much on the SEC until we see how the last six games go. I don't have a great deal of confidence in Iowa and Nebraska winning, and we'll see how the top four do. It is for sure that the SEC doesn't have much to crow about at this point.

Then maybe we don't really know whether Bama is as dominant as usual despite their record. They whacked USC but that was game 1 before SC got rolling. Perhaps U Dub has a legitimate shot at Bama.
Except PAC-12 has looked pretty bad so far too. Wazzu ugly loss to Minny; Utah lucky to edge Indiana and Colorado-UGH vs. Okie State

I laughed @ Bielema for the entire 2nd half.
Pretty soon he will get the nickname "Next Year Bret." It seems that at the beginning of each season, Arkansas is being touted as a sleeper and that Bielema has "turned a corner" but that corner seems elusive to him.

This embarrassing season-ending meltdown may warm up his seat a little next year.

Reactions: NUCat320
Pretty soon he will get the nickname "Next Year Bret." It seems that at the beginning of each season, Arkansas is being touted as a sleeper and that Bielema has "turned a corner" but that corner seems elusive to him.

This embarrassing season-ending meltdown may warm up his seat a little next year.
Perhaps when he gets fired he will be relegated to a G5 school in the upper Midwest. That Karma....

Yep, really bad year for the SEC, aside from Bama. We were below .500 against Power 5 teams out of conference during the regular season, and haven't had a particularly impressive start to the post-season. But there's still time to turn it around and have a decent end. Must let it play out to see.

I do think, barring a really unexpected series of outcomes tonight and over the next few days, that the B10 will end up having had a significantly better season than the SEC overall. ACC, too, quite possibly.

Yep, really bad year for the SEC, aside from Bama. We were below .500 against Power 5 teams out of conference during the regular season, and haven't had a particularly impressive start to the post-season. But there's still time to turn it around and have a decent end. Must let it play out to see.

I do think, barring a really unexpected series of outcomes tonight and over the next few days, that the B10 will end up having had a significantly better season than the SEC overall. ACC, too, quite possibly.
Now that you beat Nebraska in a bowl game can you go bother their board for the next year?

Quarterbacking in the SEC has not been very good this year.

Last edited:
Now that you beat Nebraska in a bowl game can you go bother their board for the next year?

I really respect the Nebraska fan base. And yet, I never went to visit their boards. As much as I look up to them as good sports and good people, I've never been intrigued by the Cornhuskers. Perhaps because I had one as a college roommate, he was just a country boy, like me.

I came to your board over a year ago because I was curious about NU. Never met anyone from that school before, knew of your academic reputation, and wanted to learn more.

Found out you're generally good people, interesting to talk football with.

So that's why I'm still here, and not on a Nebraska board. I hope I don't disappoint you too much with the response.

I really respect the Nebraska fan base. And yet, I never went to visit their boards. As much as I look up to them as good sports and good people, I've never been intrigued by the Cornhuskers. Perhaps because I had one as a college roommate, he was just a country boy, like me.

I came to your board over a year ago because I was curious about NU. Never met anyone from that school before, knew of your academic reputation, and wanted to learn more.

Found out you're generally good people, interesting to talk football with.

So that's why I'm still here, and not on a Nebraska board. I hope I don't disappoint you too much with the response.

Feel free to post here whenever you like.

Quarterbacking in the SEC has not been very good this year.

It really hasn't. Josh Dobbs may be the most talented of the lot, and--much as I love and appreciate him--he's not consistent enough as a passer to be considered one of the best in the nation.

Jalen Hurtz is good, but he benefits from being part of a system; you almost get the feeling any decent QB could take over, like an assembly line that depends less on the unique strengths of the parts than it does on how they fit together.

Eason at Georgia will potentially be awesome one day; but he isn't there yet.

Everywhere else is just kinda...meh.

Long way of saying, I agree entirely, Jack.

It really hasn't. Josh Dobbs may be the most talented of the lot, and--much as I love and appreciate him--he's not consistent enough as a passer to be considered one of the best in the nation.

Jalen Hurtz is good, but he benefits from being part of a system; you almost get the feeling any decent QB could take over, like an assembly line that depends less on the unique strengths of the parts than it does on how they fit together.

Eason at Georgia will potentially be awesome one day; but he isn't there yet.

Everywhere else is just kinda...meh.

Long way of saying, I agree entirely, Jack.

The highest ranked SEC QBs by QBR are ranked as such largely due to their running skills. I don't see guys who can get it downfield like guys in the Big 12 or PAC 12. Big 10 passing was pretty "meh" this year too. I cannot name a B1G QB whose passing skills would shape a defensive game plan. Maybe McSorley at Penn State.

The Vols who have returned since last year's whitewashing aren't/haven't been a bother.
Cool, then I'll hang out on the Pitt board for the next year given that I had 0 reason to be interested in Pitt football. Nah, I ain't gonna do that because I'm not an ahole.

Cool, then I'll hang out on the Pitt board for the next year given that I had 0 reason to be interested in Pitt football. Nah, I ain't gonna do that because I'm not an ahole.
Actually, you sound like an ahole right about now.

VFL, Della, Klemman, Lefty are all contributors here. If you don't like their lists use Ignore.

Reactions: rmndcat
Actually, you sound like an ahole right about now.

VFL, Della, Klemman, Lefty are all contributors here. If you don't like their lists use Ignore.
Cool. Welcome to the ignore list. I'd call you an ahole but I would feel that's uncalled and feel we should keep things civil.

Cool. Welcome to the ignore list. I'd call you an ahole but I would feel that's uncalled and feel we should keep things civil.
Dude relax they're really polite respectful and contribute meaningful replies. The only fault I can find is the root for Tennessee over Northwestern and that's fine by me.

Reactions: rmndcat
The Vols who have returned since last year's whitewashing aren't/haven't been a bother.
I agree that the UT posters that have remained on the board through the year have been polite and their comments social and appreciated. I further agree that I wish that Shakes was not so immediately harsh with his words toward one of their polite posters.

However...

After our experience last year, I went to the Husker Board this year to see what they experienced. The UT fans that posted there were many fewer than we experienced (possibly some heavy-handed moderation but unknown) and very polite. It was nothing like our experience. At one point, one of the Huskers commented on this and one of the UT posters that has become a regular here stated that UT fans are always polite and respectful to fans of football programs that they respect as much as they respect Nebraska (slight paraphrase). I do not want to misrepresent anything and this comment was clearly intended to be a compliment to UNL while visiting their board. But it ticked me off.

I agree that the UT posters that have remained on the board through the year have been polite and their comments social and appreciated. I further agree that I wish that Shakes was not so immediately harsh with his words toward one of their polite posters.

However...

After our experience last year, I went to the Husker Board this year to see what they experienced. The UT fans that posted there were many fewer than we experienced (possibly some heavy-handed moderation but unknown) and very polite. It was nothing like our experience. At one point, one of the Huskers commented on this and one of the UT posters that has become a regular here stated that UT fans are always polite and respectful to fans of football programs that they respect as much as they respect Nebraska (slight paraphrase). I do not want to misrepresent anything and this comment was clearly intended to be a compliment to UNL while visiting their board. But it ticked me off.

The Nebraska board is monitored more closely than Americans would be visiting North Korea. They snuff out anybody who says negative things about Nebraska weather, let alone Nebraska football. They have banned literally thousands of posters for the tiniest of slights.

The Nebraska board is monitored more closely than Americans would be visiting North Korea. They snuff out anybody who says negative things about Nebraska weather, let alone Nebraska football. They have banned literally thousands of posters for the tiniest of slights.
Understood but that does not change the quote.

While we have all these B1G-SEC conversations, the ACC is having itself a good bowl season. If Clemson beats Ohio State, which is entirely possible, I think they've earned the right to crow a little bit. Interesting that both the B1G's wins so far come from the much-derided Western Division of the conference.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Rough night, shakes?

You should be nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT