ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for Purdue vs. NU

Collins didn’t make Spencer turn it over, or Buie have two threes go in and out. Or Baran miss wide-open threes. It’s a controversial thought, but sometimes the responsibility of winning and losing games falls on the players.
BS. Any of us plan and lead like that in our jobs. We would be fired.

BS. Any of us plan and lead like that in our jobs. We would be fired.

If he calls those plays and gets open threes for Robbie with 10 minutes left, it’s good coaching. But with 2 left, it’s bad coaching? A good look is a good look. Kopp was drawing attention, and the ball got to an excellent shooter with room to put it up. Twice. Honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. As they say, it’s a make or miss game. Our guy just didn’t make them.

If he calls those plays and gets open threes for Robbie with 10 minutes left, it’s good coaching. But with 2 left, it’s bad coaching? A good look is a good look. Kopp was drawing attention, and the ball got to an excellent shooter with room to put it up. Twice. Honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. As they say, it’s a make or miss game. Our guy just didn’t make them.
The tricky thing is that our guys rarely seem to make them when they matter most. And it's the coach's job to figure out how to change that, or to get better players who can.

How many posessions did we have? I saw one open 3 by Beran and another kind of open. And that makes the stall ball ok? Wow.

Predictably CC at the podium was asked what his play calling was for the last 4 minutes. And turned it into, we got as good looks as they did, they made it, we didn’t. Wow.

The tricky thing is that our guys rarely seem to make them when they matter most. And it's the coach's job to figure out how to change that, or to get better players who can.

Robbie Beran is a 40% 3-pt shooter who got two clean looks at the basket in the last 2 minutes. That’s exactly what you want. Sometimes a player just need to step up.

As you said in another post, though, the good news is that it doesn’t matter. Miller Kopp went from a 30% shooter to one of the best in the B1G in a single offseason. I have every faith that Robbie will make a similar leap in his game. This will sting, but it will also motivate him.

We really need the player and maybe Boo fills the role next year who can drive to the hoop. Your odds are typically better because you can hit the shot or draw contact and go to the line. Shooting 3’s late is more of an all or nothing approach.

I will say we don’t get much respect from the refs when our guards drive. We often seem to draw as much contact as other teams, but don’t get the foul calls.

Heartbreak
Not “heartbreak”. Brain lock. Heartbreak is when the opponent steals a game that you had virtually won. Or, when we got jobbed by the zebras at the end. Or when an opponent player “goes off” at the end or did some otherwordly and/or near impossible lucky thing at the buzzer. In this case, Purdue simply hung in there, did competently what a good team is capable of, while allowing the Cats enough time to decide how they would blow it.

I think it's pretty funny to let a true freshman coming off an injury and a lacrosse player in his only season of basketball go up against one of the best defenders in the best basketball conference in America and somehow blame them for failing.
Those are pretty much the guards we have, though, Medill. Audige and Berry aren't here yet and Gaines' arm is in a sling. Pretty much leaves, what, Ryan Greer?

Just how does a coach get players to make shots? Changing the Admissions policy = BETTER players!

Those are pretty much the guards we have, though, Medill. Audige and Berry aren't here yet and Gaines' arm is in a sling. Pretty much leaves, what, Ryan Greer?
Yes, of course. I’m not saying they should not be on the court. Just saying they shouldn’t be taking the shot clock under five seconds one-on-one against superior defenders. Run a set to get the ball to Kopp.

Robbie Beran is a 40% 3-pt shooter who got two clean looks at the basket in the last 2 minutes. That’s exactly what you want. Sometimes a player just need to step up.

As you said in another post, though, the good news is that it doesn’t matter. Miller Kopp went from a 30% shooter to one of the best in the B1G in a single offseason. I have every faith that Robbie will make a similar leap in his game. This will sting, but it will also motivate him.
Beran looks good. I like his game. He’s moved ahead of Nance on O which is why Collins subbed offense/defense with those two. I just want the ball to go to Kopp or even get the ball into Young and try to force a foul or maybe even kick it out for a three in rhythm instead of relying on guards to do everything one on one.

Beran looks good. I like his game. He’s moved ahead of Nance on O which is why Collins subbed offense/defense with those two. I just want the ball to go to Kopp or even get the ball into Young and try to force a foul or maybe even kick it out for a three in rhythm instead of relying on guards to do everything one on one.

We got the ball into young with like 30 seconds left — he turned it over. And rest assured, Purdue knew we wanted to get the ball to Kopp as well. We got open looks and missed. Purdue got open looks and made it. We can quibble about that all day, but the fact remains that making open shots is what it comes down to. A 40% shooter had two looks and didn’t come through. Shrug emoji. It happens. On to the next one.

We got the ball into young with like 30 seconds left — he turned it over. And rest assured, Purdue knew we wanted to get the ball to Kopp as well. We got open looks and missed. Purdue got open looks and made it. We can quibble about that all day, but the fact remains that making open shots is what it comes down to. A 40% shooter had two looks and didn’t come through. Shrug emoji. It happens. On to the next one.

Personally I think CC gets a little too much blame. At some point it’s on the players to actually make a play or hit a shot.

Down the stretch before the last second Spencer heave we had 3 attempts from beyond the arc- Beran x2 and Boo, a Young turnover, a Spencer drive and turnover, and maybe one more turnover/offensive foul?

I just don’t like our over reliance on the 3 pt shot to try and close out games. Especially with the line moved back this year it’s sort of a 1 out of 3 chance in the grand scope of things.

Much rather see us drive or try to get the ball to a big down low. To me those are typically more reliable options because if you don’t score you still have a decent chance to get an offensive board, or draw a foul and shoot free throws- something we do pretty well (making fts).

Reactions: Palindrome
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT