ADVERTISEMENT

Shocking Fitz comments on QBs

My take: I think he was directing his comments to HJ, thinking he’s a “5” star, he would just roll in and start to fling the ball and all would be well. Maybe Fitz saying early in the year that there was a qb battle was shot across HJ’s bow to get him to put more work in. I think HJ got a rude awakening to D1 football. If he’s got character, he’ll use this debacle as a motivator to be that 5 star player!

I would suggest all you conspiracy theorists read Lou’s verbatim transcript on The Rock of Fitz’s comments on the QB situation.

Reactions: ricko654321
The 50 yard TD to Jefferson. Have we had any others? Should have had 2 50+ that game.

There is much more to playing QB than being able to throw a ball 50 yards downfield. No one is disputing he has the most physical talent. Physical talent alone doesn’t make plays. If it did, former Chicago Bears QB Vince Evans would be in the Hall of Fame.

There is much more to playing QB than being able to throw a ball 50 yards downfield. No one is disputing he has the most physical talent. Physical talent alone doesn’t make plays. If it did, former Chicago Bears QB Vince Evans would be in the Hall of Fame.

we’ve gone over this a hundred times. It comes down to what is best for the team in both the short and long term. In the short term you can debate that Smith or one of the other QB’s give us the best chance to win today. I strongly would disagree and last week was the straw that broke the camels back for me. If HJ is healthy mentally and physically he needs to play that last 2 games. Of course, he isn’t going to play and that is painfully obvious. So what if HJ goes in and performs poorly. Big deal. We lose by 20 or we lose by 30. Honestly, it’s not like we are breaking up a functioning offense led by exceptional QB play. This is a historically awful offense and has been from the first game of the season.

Reactions: willycat
we’ve gone over this a hundred times. It comes down to what is best for the team in both the short and long term. In the short term you can debate that Smith or one of the other QB’s give us the best chance to win today. I strongly would disagree and last week was the straw that broke the camels back for me. If HJ is healthy mentally and physically he needs to play that last 2 games. Of course, he isn’t going to play and that is painfully obvious. So what if HJ goes in and performs poorly. Big deal. We lose by 20 or we lose by 30. Honestly, it’s not like we are breaking up a functioning offense led by exceptional QB play. This is a historically awful offense and has been from the first game of the season.

I think I’ve said this before but just to be clear, if it were my decision, Johnson would be starting. That being said, I think I understand why he is not right now.

Last edited:
I think I’ve said this before but just to be clear, if it were my decision, Johnson would be starting. That being said, I think I understand why he is not right now.

Because of “his confidence” I assume?

Because of “his confidence” I assume?

Well, if you read Lou’s post on The Rock, that would appear to be a big reason in addition to all of the off field challenges the kid has been dealing with. Not conducive to getting his mind in the right place.

My take: I think he was directing his comments to HJ, thinking he’s a “5” star, he would just roll in and start to fling the ball and all would be well. Maybe Fitz saying early in the year that there was a qb battle was shot across HJ’s bow to get him to put more work in. I think HJ got a rude awakening to D1 football. If he’s got character, he’ll use this debacle as a motivator to be that 5 star player!
I think HJ got a rude awakening to an offense that doesn’t work .

The coaches wanted a QB battle so bad, but TJ had to go and get himself injured, so the coaches had to go find another QB to have a QB battle with, and they found Aidan.
TJ got injured by trying to make a boneheaded run. Ditto for Hunter! How many times was Peyton Manning ever sacked! Get rid of the ball and slide or get brain damages!

These comments are not shocking except in their honesty. No one but Green was ready to start, and their performance showed just that.

Who says Green was ready to start? He took a few good snaps (and made a couple bone head plays too). By no means is there enough footage to make the statement that green was prepared and that his presence behind the helm would have salvaged this season.

Who says Green was ready to start? He took a few good snaps (and made a couple bone head plays too). By no means is there enough footage to make the statement that green was prepared and that his presence behind the helm would have salvaged this season.

TJ had a decent amount of reps last year when Thorson was on a pitch count. The brief glimpse we saw at Stanford this year was very encouraging. He was composed and knew what he was doing.

TJ had a decent amount of reps last year when Thorson was on a pitch count. The brief glimpse we saw at Stanford this year was very encouraging. He was composed and knew what he was doing.
So you are going to hang your hat on TJ’s performance against Purdue, Duke and akron?

Fitz did yesterday at his press conference.

So you are going to hang your hat on TJ’s performance against Purdue, Duke and akron?

I'm not hanging my hat on anything except my own head. All I'm saying is that TJ has more experience running the offense than people credit him for, and his performance in the Stanford game was night and day different from Hunter's.

That’s what Fitz said.

He looked pretty dam good , played at Clemson, although that was small sample. Just maybe Fitz and the other staff should learn how to coach 5* players.

Reactions: IGNORE
I'm not hanging my hat on anything except my own head. All I'm saying is that TJ has more experience running the offense than people credit him for, and his performance in the Stanford game was night and day different from Hunter's.
Yes and we all saw how Green tried to run the offensive last season. If you're advocating Green over a few plays vs. Stanford, they mean close to nothing. Doubt very much if Green comes back next season and looks like Fitz is determined to run Johnson off, so that leaves NU with a not very good Smith and an even worse Marty and Whittaker and an unknown freshman. Better buckle up, as it's not going to be pretty.

And he's still not a starting P5 QB.

He looked pretty dam good , played at Clemson, although that was small sample. Just maybe Fitz and the other staff should learn how to coach 5* players.

LOL, and the Clemson myth continues! Watch the highlights. There is nothing there to hang your hat on.

And he's still not a starting P5 QB.

That's not what Fitz believes and in reaching that conclusion he had a lot more data to assess than any of us do. A whole offseason of workouts and practice reps told Fitz otherwise. Forgive me if I trust his judgement over the judgement of any of the Monday Morning Quarterbacks on this board.

Yes and we all saw how Green tried to run the offensive last season. If you're advocating Green over a few plays vs. Stanford, they mean close to nothing. Doubt very much if Green comes back next season and looks like Fitz is determined to run Johnson off, so that leaves NU with a not very good Smith and an even worse Marty and Whittaker and an unknown freshman. Better buckle up, as it's not going to be pretty.

What's your source for Green not coming back next season? Everything I've seen so far indicates he will return. And your view that Fitz is trying to run off Johnson is unfounded and quite cynical.

Next season, with what we know now, it seems that Green gives us the best chance to have something resembling an offense. Small sample size, but against Stanford, before he got injured, Green was effective and moving the chains, and actually completing more than half his passes. 6-10, 62 yds, with a long pass of 23 yards. And if we actually can get a real Offensive Coordinator, then maybe he can get Hunter Johnson to realize his potential.

What's your source for Green not coming back next season? Everything I've seen so far indicates he will return. And your view that Fitz is trying to run off Johnson is unfounded and quite cynical.

Next season, with what we know now, it seems that Green gives us the best chance to have something resembling an offense. Small sample size, but against Stanford, before he got injured, Green was effective and moving the chains, and actually completing more than half his passes. 6-10, 62 yds, with a long pass of 23 yards. And if we actually can get a real Offensive Coordinator, then maybe he can get Hunter Johnson to realize his potential.
Bad injury and why would he bother coming back for a 5th season? So then why is Fitz totally ignoring the most highly recruited QB in NU history?

Well first thing is he would have to petition for a 6th year. No guarantee that he would get it. Also, he may want to get in with his life.

Anyone who believes Green's presence behind the helm would have salvaged this season has not noticed the myriad of problems with our offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320

Hey, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe the truth is that *no* QB was ready to start. Regardless, I do not think we would have been much better with Green. This team is B-A-D on offense.

I see everyone is falling in love with the one QB who couldn’t play this season. Fitz included. Of course at 2-8 when a fourth-year QB throws 2 INTs against the worst defense in the nation, he now says “well TJ was the only one ready.”

This sort of wishful thinking is besides the point. The offense is simply Not Good.

I see everyone is falling in love with the one QB who couldn’t play this season. Fitz included. Of course at 2-8 when a fourth-year QB throws 2 INTs against the worst defense in the nation, he now says “well TJ was the only one ready.”

This sort of wishful thinking is besides the point. The offense is simply Not Good.
It's a moot point, but with Green we might have won a couple of the close ones, notably Purdue and Nebraska. Perhaps Stanford. Now, 5-7 is still not great, but it is better than that steaming pile of dog crap on top of the cake this year.

Green would have been ok, way better than what we've seen (say 90th best instead of 130th best). In fact, when he played last year, he was arguably our best 2nd string QB to play since, well, Trevor Siemian. Good enough for Fitz to continue the narrative of low risk, no mistakes, strip the ball, no penalties etc.

Doesn't excuse that they've not developed a QB recruit since 2016, and they can't seem to make use of the talent of Kyle Prater oops Hunter Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT