ADVERTISEMENT

Should I be rooting for PSU?

loyolacat

Gold Member
Oct 21, 2006
Okay I am going to cheer for Iowa cuz we beat em......Gonna root for UW cuz cant think of a reason to not root for them. But Penn State? Do not like them for tons of reasons (Franklin, Paterno , pedu the whole deal etc) yet they represent the BIG10.....Does it make any difference to NU? Is there a recruit out there that may be evaluating conferences and we need BIG10 to represent even if it is PSU. My maximum benefit outcome says let them win,,,,elevating the BIG10 then we smack the snot out of em when they come to NU next year....?????????

For what it's worth, many many Penn Staters like and respect Northwestern, irrespective of beating Pitt. Your move.
No. Cannot, will not root for Penn State. Not until/unless there's a sea change in the attitudes and behavior of Penn State leadership and fans.

Unfortunately I think at best that's a long way down the road.

Reactions: TXnumbCAT and PaCat
Okay I am going to cheer for Iowa cuz we beat em......Gonna root for UW cuz cant think of a reason to not root for them. But Penn State? Do not like them for tons of reasons (Franklin, Paterno , pedu the whole deal etc) yet they represent the BIG10.....Does it make any difference to NU? Is there a recruit out there that may be evaluating conferences and we need BIG10 to represent even if it is PSU. My maximum benefit outcome says let them win,,,,elevating the BIG10 then we smack the snot out of em when they come to NU next year....?????????

Yes. Big Ten success benefits NU.

I was just watching the pre-game show and was reminded why I can't root for Penn State. One of the players, "Schwan?" said that Penn State shouldn't be defined by the actions of one man, Sandusky. That's the narrative of the Penn State fan base. It's accepted as fact that neither Paterno nor any of the other administrators who covered up for Sandusky did anything wrong. This thinking explains why not one alumni trustee has been elected to the Board of Trustees by the alums without the endorsement of the group that was formed and exists solely for the purpose of opposing any form of sanctions as a result of the scandal. It's also telling that after the alums forced out the University President who agreed to the sanctions the University hired the Florida State President who was in office for the Jamies Winston debacle. The idea that there has been a change in culture at Penn State is a joke.

IVe decided to watch the Hunger Games Series and root for Jennifer Lawrence and leave psu and usc to fight over the scraps of the We Have Done NO Wrong Bowl

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I'm also rooting for penn state - to get blown out by 50 points. I can't think of any scenario where I would ever root for penn state to win a football game.
I'm rooting for Penn State to win. The players took a huge risk going to a school that the NCAA was punishing unfairly. So I'm rooting that they win.

I have no problem with the PSU coaches or players and, in a vacuum, would root for them to beat USC. Unfortunately, as long as the administration and fans continue to pretend that their program didn't knowingly abet a serial child rapist, I cannot and will not support them.

Go USC.

I was just watching the pre-game show and was reminded why I can't root for Penn State. One of the players, "Schwan?" said that Penn State shouldn't be defined by the actions of one man, Sandusky. That's the narrative of the Penn State fan base. It's accepted as fact that neither Paterno nor any of the other administrators who covered up for Sandusky did anything wrong. This thinking explains why not one alumni trustee has been elected to the Board of Trustees by the alums without the endorsement of the group that was formed and exists solely for the purpose of opposing any form of sanctions as a result of the scandal. It's also telling that after the alums forced out the University President who agreed to the sanctions the University hired the Florida State President who was in office for the Jamies Winston debacle. The idea that there has been a change in culture at Penn State is a joke.
Pa- Nice post. I couldn't have summarized it better. It is the continuing culture of denial and lack of responsibility that continues to plague the program and the PSU fan base.

Watching the game reminds me how overrated Franklin is as an in game coach. He has a stud in the backfield named Barkley who is averaging about 10 yards per touch so far but Franklin insists on throwing the ball against a six man front. USC's defensive strength is their team speed. Run the ball on them you big dummy.

Watching the game reminds me how overrated Franklin is as an in game coach. He has a stud in the backfield named Barkley who is averaging about 10 yards per touch so far but Franklin insists on throwing the ball against a six man front. USC's defensive strength is their team speed. Run the ball on them you big dummy.
He finally found him on that last drive. Hope he forgets about him on the next one.

McSorley reminds me a lot of Dan Persa. Best thing to happen to that team was Hackenberg declaring for the draft last year.

IVe decided to watch the Hunger Games Series and root for Jennifer Lawrence and leave psu and usc to fight over the scraps of the We Have Done NO Wrong Bowl
Now there is a winner and she is easy on the eyes.

I agree with all the comments about Penn State lack of accountability. But since BIG took a knee in that we are stuck with them as our representive in the marquee BIG bowl. Thus I will hope they beat the obnoxious Trojans. But otherwise they can't lose enuff for me. Even vs OSU. And that's saying a lot.

Reactions: rmndcat
Penn State should have been in the final 4 instead of OSU. By the middle-to-end of the season, PSU was just a better all around football team not to mention B1G champs...

Reactions: cat inkansas
This is why I've cut back on watching televised football in recent years. Great game (which is the only reason I'm still watching), but almost four hours since it started and there is still 6:41 left.

The officials are having too much influence on this game.
Influence? What call did they get wrong to influence the game? Haven't seen anything like the 14 point swing in the 96' Rose Bowl when Musso's knee was clearly down before the bill came loose.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT