ADVERTISEMENT

Should I be rooting for PSU?

I plan to root against PSU for the rest of my life

Me too, though I feel dirty rooting for USC too.

Serious question for those of you with young kids - what, if anything have you told them about Sandusky? I have a 10-year-old son, big NU fan, who can't believe I'm rooting for USC. He knows somebody at Penn State did something bad. All I've been able to tell him is one coach hurt a lot of people. He'll know the truth eventually, but he's not ready for that.

I think McSorley had a part in blowing that one. You don't force that ball into coverage in that time situation. The announcers had it right. He's gotten away with it so often this year that he thought he could do it again. I thought they made a bad call on the previous series when they didn't try some play-action on third down. Could have salted the game away there.

Reactions: NU Houston
Ticky tack roughing call in first half. Reversing the fumble call in the second half.

The fumble recovery was correctly reversed. Prevented USC from stealing a recovery. The roughing call is made more often than not when the QB has slid. Kinda like a DB not turning their head. Gonna get a flag more often than not.

GOUNUII

So the much-maligned Western Division wins three bowl games, and East goes 0-5. Not a great year for the B1G. I've seen them do this poorly before, but more was expected this year.

I think McSorley had a part in blowing that one. You don't force that ball into coverage in that time situation. The announcers had it right. He's gotten away with it so often this year that he thought he could do it again. I thought they made a bad call on the previous series when they didn't try some play-action on third down. Could have salted the game away there.
USC was out of timeouts so wasn't going to get the ball back in regulation. Penn State wanted to be aggressive to get in field goal range, but they couldn't afford to be stupid. McSorley was stupid with those two throws.

On the debated fumble play I was wondering if there might be a targeting call on the USC linebacker who hit McSorley after the fumble.
It was a pretty good helmet to helmet shot right in the face when he was laying on the ground.
The way that targeting has been called this year, particularly with quarterbacks nothing would surprise me.

Ummmm... those two balls hung like a lazy curveball.
The Penn State WR needs to come back to that ball and catch the ball at it's high point. If he does that, Penn State is driving for the winning FG instead of USC picking the ball. That is all on the WR.

McSorley reminds me a lot of Dan Persa. Best thing to happen to that team was Hackenberg declaring for the draft last year.

Personally, i hate McSorley's "hit it out of the park" shtick. Persa was all class.

While i wanted the BigTen to win the Rose Bowl, i smiled inside when McSorley threw the ball up for grabs on that last play and had it run back to FG range with just under a minute to play. Any way you slice it, it was a great game and going to be a great ending. Franklin could have call a better series of plays to put PSU in field goal range to win it, and the USC kicker could have missed another field goal. As it turned out, both Franklin and McSorely have to eat some humble pie. Everyone else played a great game... lol

Personally, i hate McSorley's "hit it out of the park" shtick. Persa was all class.

While i wanted the BigTen to win the Rose Bowl, i smiled inside when McSorley threw the ball up for grabs on that last play and had it run back to FG range with just under a minute to play. Any way you slice it, it was a great game and going to be a great ending. Franklin could have call a better series of plays to put PSU in field goal range to win it, and the USC kicker could have missed another field goal. As it turned out, both Franklin and McSorely have to eat some humble pie. Everyone else played a great game... lol
As to McSorley, I agree with you on his showboating. I'm used to seeing that from wide receivers. Hope other Qbs don't start acting like that. Focusing just on demeanor it was easy to root for Darnold over McSorley. Sure glad Franklin was PSU's coach. McSorley is a unique talent and he has a stable of playmakers for receivers. When you add a talent like Barkley at running back, it's hard to explain how USC won. Franklin can recruit, but I still don't think he can coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT