ADVERTISEMENT

Simmons in portal?

combes

Jul 10, 2001
Just read that. Surprised it isn’t mentioned here. He had some flashes last year.

On Verbal Commits there are several twitter accounts stating that he has entered the portal..." according to sources" from Leiberman and Rafferty......two guys who do hoops..... Verbal Commits also lists him as :transferred from Northwestern" And he is the newest listed on the Verbal Commits transfer page........Are we going to have enough kids to practice?

We might legitimately go 0-20 this year. Gotta think CC is in El Paso scouting out potential replacements as we speak

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
On Verbal Commits there are several twitter accounts stating that he has entered the portal..." according to sources" from Leiberman and Rafferty......two guys who do hoops..... Verbal Commits also lists him as :transferred from Northwestern" And he is the newest listed on the Verbal Commits transfer page........Are we going to have enough kids to practice?
Thanks.
I looked on VerbalCommits and you're right he is listed there.
(Casey Simmons' tweets are listed on that same website - one of his re-tweets is a video of a grizzly chasing a guy on a bike. That was wild.)

But yeah, there are people tweeting that he is transferring. I wonder if it had to do with social media policy. I have no idea what coach Collins' rules are. Timing is really strange.

To me, a transfer this late has an academic reason written all over it.

I wish I could be as bothered as others specifically about losing Simmons. But ... eh. That was not a B10 calibur recruiting class, no matter what some want to pretend their potential is.

Don't get me wrong. There's not much to replace Simmons, but what's another tire in the tire fire.

Timing is surprising since Simmons missed the May 1 deadline to be eligible next season.

You do know that this discussion is mainly about Simmons and his Portal entrance, right?
Of course. You suggested that him averaging 2.5 points and 1.5 rebounds is evidence that he doesn’t have a particularly bright future and I offered an example of a player with similar numbers as a freshman who became a very good player.

Of course. You suggested that him averaging 2.5 points and 1.5 rebounds is evidence that he doesn’t have a particularly bright future and I offered an example of a player with similar numbers as a freshman who became a very good player.
Keep moving forward

Yeah, to me this is either academics related or he played a year far away from home and decided he wanted to be closer. Total guesses of course, but the timing makes those the most likely options.

Tough loss. The offensive game isn’t there yet, but the kid has a lot of natural ability and legit athleticism. I also thought he was one of our best defenders and really was impressed with some of his close outs on shooters.

Simmons represented, to me, the epitome of the big leap in recruiting from BC to CC. A dude that might, or might not, develop into a solid player. But, regardless, a huge step above, in athleticism, compared to what we used to see at the old WR. All while sitting deep on the bench.

Reactions: PurpleFaze
I know every post of yours (and PWB) is a CCC shot…

…but Simmons started while Audige was out. He was given his chances, but he was an offensive liability, so he was replaced. Seems all quite reasonable to me. (I agree on the first, non-CCC-shot part).

…but Simmons started while Audige was out. He was given his chances, but he was an offensive liability, so he was replaced. Seems all quite reasonable to me. (I agree on the first, non-CCC-shot part).
No it was really a perfect example of Collins being totally lost. It’s not to knock CCC any chance we can get but I take my family game after game to see something truly pathetic. The guy has made generational wealth coaching a terrible basketball program. It’s ok to criticize when we’re consistently awful.

No it was really a perfect example of Collins being totally lost. It’s not to knock CCC any chance we can get but I take my family game after game to see something truly pathetic. The guy has made generational wealth coaching a terrible basketball program. It’s ok to criticize when we’re consistently awful.
Yes - and Carmody and all other coaches enjoyed so much success….

Our teams are much more competitive under Collins, and the numbers bear that out. You and your family don’t have to leave at halftime like in many decades past. While he hasn’t sustained success like we all want, he’s not a piece of crap like so many intimate.

Once again, somebody states a bunch of facts and you get all upset that he is insulting the coach.

Simmons was pretty far down the bench by the end of the season. Is that a shot at Collins?

If so, how? Explain why you can't read neutral factual posts without getting upset.

it is YOU who reads neutral facts and interprets them as insults to the coach. That is YOUR interpretation.

Reactions: IGNORE2

I have no idea how you jump from a comment praising the recruiting getting better under CC to it being a shot at CC.

I have no idea how you jump from a comment praising the recruiting getting better under CC to it being a shot at CC.
Because you have made critical comments in the past about Collins. Thats all it is.
No matter what you write, it is seen as an attack on Collins.

I just want somebody who reflexively defends the coach to post something that shows how he is good at his job.

Anything at all.

Because you have made critical comments in the past about Collins. Thats all it is.

I just want somebody who reflexively defends the coach to post something that shows how he is good at his job.

Anything at all.
Well he’s not good at his job. It’s been proven over many years now. He’s paid a tremendous amount of money to consistently lose. Not sure how or why anyone would defend him at this point. We all wanted him to do well but he hasn’t come anywhere close.

Our teams are much more competitive under Collins, and the numbers bear that out. You and your family don’t have to leave at halftime like in many decades past. While he hasn’t sustained success like we all want, he’s not a piece of crap like so many intimate.
I disagree.

While Collins conference winning percentage (33%) is a tick above Carmody’s (31%), the program is has been noticeably farther away from the postseason contention outside the blip that is the 16-17 season under the current regime.

That blip was incredibly meaningful and in my eyes worth the leash Collins has received to this point, but he and his staff have basically squandered away 100% of the goodwill that came with the tournament. Certainly expectations were way too high around here; idea that this program “had the talent of an upper half Big Ten roster” was just as silly in 2017 as it sounds now looking back on things. Still, the fall off has been steep.

Currently, the program is further away from relevance than it was in the late aughts. The regression isn’t even debatable. One somewhat competitive conference season during Nance’s time on campus? They didn’t even get a bye into the Thursday of the Big Ten tournament.

That’s bad. No way around it.

Last edited:
We see programs every year that make the final 8 without blue blood. We have seen programs pop up out of nowhere - Gonzaga, Valpo, Butler, etc. They relied upon non blue chip recruits to get there.

We have seen studs end up at NU. VV, Shurna, Coble, EE, Nance.

We have had some coaches that could develop, some that could identify talent, some that could recruit.

But we always wait too long to make changes. A staff that addresses each of these areas is the golden ticket - not a single coach. CCC could have worked with a better evaluator of talent and someone to develop it.

NUFB was the worst program in D1 for years. We won our first game in two years during my time. Programs can be built. It takes quality AD to do so. This is not in admissions. This is in the athletic department. They simply don’t care enough.

I disagree.

While Collins conference winning percentage (33%) is a tick above Carmody’s (31%), the program is has been noticeably farther away from the postseason contention outside the blip that is the 16-17 season under the current regime.

That blip was incredibly meaningful and in my eyes worth the leash Collins has received to this point, but he and his staff have basically squandered away 100% of the goodwill that came with the tournament. Certainly expectations were way too high around here; idea that this program “had the talent of an upper half Big Ten roster” was just as silly in 2017 as it sounds now looking back on things. Still, the fall off has been steep.

Currently, the program is further away from relevance than it was in the late aughts. The regression isn’t even debatable. One somewhat competitive conference season during Nance’s time on campus? They didn’t even get a bye into the Thursday of the Big Ten tournament.

That’s bad. No way around it.
Remove outliers, say best and worst season in the B1G for both coaches. Often done in statistics to smooth out anomalies. In this case, couple of seasons of just bad luck or abnormal fortune.

What are the records? Genuine question, don’t have the chance to computer myself for the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Is this some kind of weird, alternative universe?

BC had the turned the program into a consistent winner w/ 4 consecutive post-season appearances; would have been at least 5, but for all the injuries with the 2012-13 team (as well as Cobb's) suspension (that team was BC's most physically talented team with Crawford, Cobb, Hearn, Swop and Lumpkin.

Even before that, the program would still usually make the post season with an upperclass-laden team (so every 4-5 yrs).

CC was brought in to take the program to the next level, but aside from that one glorious trip to the NCAAs (which wouldn't have happened if Lumpkin never ended up RSing his frosh year), the program has actually gotten worse.

And unlike BC (or the coaches before him), CC also had the advantage of having state of the art facilities.

Anything at all.
Correct.

Thing is, thinking CC elevated recruiting while being a lousy coach are not mutually exclusive.

Just like thinking that, inherent institutional advantages or not, he had a fairly good record on not losing players to other schools, does not imply he is a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT