ADVERTISEMENT

So what does NU need next year?

SpartCat, I was dead set on a two-guard before your post, but you make a damn good argument for the big man.

However, on second thought about your post, I don't think there's room for a 5th year scholarship.

No inside information about this sub-thread of the Vassar main thread, but if he sits out another season (i.e., does not transfer), he's basically saying he's done with basketball. If you're Vassar, and Collins has refused to take you back, and you don't like transferring to Alcorn State, I can see why he might retire.

Too many hilarious replies. Thewildcat2011 was great with the video clip. Great comparable of Drew Crawford of being in that 8ppg, 4 rpg range in his first year. I was thinking of another guy who is NU's all time leading scorer Shurna who averaged 7 ppg and a couple of rpg.

NU will need Falzon to make a big jump next year and become a top scorer for NU, Law needs to be a double digit scorer and above avg. defender, Lindsey to put 5-7 more ppg on his average and Brown, Benson and Rap to give some offensive punch off the bench. All have the skills to do so, now the fun is to see if it happens.

Oh, yeah, here's what we want, right?

Falzon, you score 10 a night, okay? Good.

Law, you have to score at least 10, too. Got it?

Lindsey, you are barely scoring some nights, but now you're gonna add another 7 points a night.

Oof, how likely is all of that?

Too many hilarious replies. Thewildcat2011 was great with the video clip. Great comparable of Drew Crawford of being in that 8ppg, 4 rpg range in his first year. I was thinking of another guy who is NU's all time leading scorer Shurna who averaged 7 ppg and a couple of rpg.

NU will need Falzon to make a big jump next year and become a top scorer for NU, Law needs to be a double digit scorer and above avg. defender, Lindsey to put 5-7 more ppg on his average and Brown, Benson and Rap to give some offensive punch off the bench. All have the skills to do so, now the fun is to see if it happens.

We don't need ALL those things to happen...but SOME of them. A lot will come down to how Brown adjusts to the college game. If it's a smooth transition, we'll be tough next year. I'm not concerned about the other guys developing. I'm pretty certain they will. But Bmac HAS to have a solid backcourt compliment...and it sounds like we're counting on Brown...

Maybe (probably) Vassar will go away. I assume this year was a gift that won't keep on giving. Maybe we can give him a cheerleading scholarship instead. Can the guy punt? Anyway, a veteran 2 guard with skills and some size would also be a plus if it came to that.

Pardon is an improvement over Olah. Law is back, which is huge. Lindsey has the ability to replace most of Demps' production on the wing. Falzon will be improved. Among other things, I would expect that lineup to be a better rebounding squad, particularly on the offensive boards.

NIT team. Then Collins needs to get a top point guard in the next recruiting class.
While Pardon may eventually be better than Olah, he is not yet. Olah was very steady and knew where to be both on O and D. He did not commit a lot of dumb fouls and he had a nice mid range to three point shot that Pardon has not developed yet. Look at the times he was healthy. Sometimes he did not play to his height but overall he was pretty good for us. He will be missed till Pardon and Benson solidify their games

Don't we talk about potential every year? Wasn't there much hoopla about Falzon, Pardon, Demps, Mac, heading into this year? I think only Lindsey was agreed to really be a question mark among the masses. Go back, would you say any lived up to the preseason hype. Even Mac seemed to wear down again by late season. And the year before, the next big thing was Law.

We are not KY, Duke, Louisville. If a frosh is even close to D1 ready, it isn't going to be at star level. Ain't gonna happen. So resting hope on RI, Brown or Benson is a fools chase. They should be expected to be a non factor and maybe offer minor contributions in best case.

So then, what do we have?

Mac - known quantity, but based on NU history plus high usage, my prediction for next crippling NU injury
(No known quantity PG backup)
Lindsey - potential. Shows up, disappears, shows up, disappears - nothing to suggest change yet
Law - coming off season long injury, was strong on D, but O came around late - no way to know impact or recovery time from this year
Falzon - rough D, didn't show much O outside the inconsistent 3 - like Lindsey, great potential but unknown
Pardon - a good game or two, great potential but not even sure he can play long minutes without foul trouble

That's your starting 5. Lots of unknowns. The bench:
Lump - no O, presence for heavy minutes means Falzon did not progress as hoped
Tap - no D, and recurring foot problems. See Lump but also could be indicator that Law is not what we hoped for next year
Ash - who knows, couldn't earn much garbage time this year. Either CCC doesn't like to give experience or evaluated 35+ of Mac and Demps and the related risks was better than what Ash brought to the table.
Skelly - if he repeats this year, he is a quality backup 4. If he improves and sees more time, then either Law or Falzon fell short

I'm not going to bank on any diaper dandies at NU. Frosh appearance will more likely mean either injury or lack of development at a key rotation spot. Maybe one or two sees backup time in the rotation, but if we are to be any good, your starting five all need to improve (except Mac, he just needs some rest throughout the season IMHO). That's a lot of hopes.

Call me whatever you want, my koolaid drinking friends, but that is the hard real truth. Can all the potential show up, a diaper dandy be born, an NCAA birth finally arrive. Absolutely. But that's against the odds. Anybody brazen enough to bet me even money on NCAAs next year if you think I'm so wrong?

I agree with everybody's uncertainty. Here are a few of the things I'll be looking for.

1 a) Where do you make up for Demps on offense in the first 22 games of the year? Yes, we've seen all the stats for his last nine games. That means he had 22 games of pretty mediocre offensive production and 20%+ from three.

I don't think it's all that difficult to get that kind of production from some combination of a tad-improved Falzon and a healthy Law.

1 b) Where do you make for Demps on offense in the last 9 games of the year? That's a different question. Does RI have it in him? Will Falzon improve that much? I'm not one who is putting big money down on Law either.

One way or the other, if NU is truly going to improve, to begin, they DESPERATELY need to find that consistent (key word) second/lead scorer - Demps in the last nine games. When BMac gets double-teamed as he was throughout the B10, he needs to have a place to pass. They won't go anywhere if BMac is the only consistent offense every night.

I'd go as far to say they really need a consistent second guy and a streaky Falzon/Demps-like third guy who forces the defense to pay attention to him. You can't go into these close games with only two scorers on the floor. As we've seen, that' too easy to guard.

2) Where do you make up for Olah? This one I have a little more faith. Once again, we're looking at a guy who was a non-factor for much of the season.

If Pardon can stay on the court, that's a GREAT start toward improvement. I'm with you if you're saying that's not automatic.

However, then you bring in Benson. You don't need the freshman to dominate. For now, you just need him for support. That's a good position for an all-state player.

Between the two of them, I feel pretty good a center.

3) Pipe dream: value each possession more. I know this goes against a fundamental belief of Collins, but I really wish somehow it would get into his head this summer that he needs to instill his team to be more concerned with each and every possession on offense and defense. The margin of error is too small for these teams to be pissing away four or five possessions each games.

Tell me if I'm wrong. Here's a number of possessions you can depend on in every game from NU:
  • A Lumpkin three-point miss to "establish" him
  • On the low end, two three-pointers in the first four or five seconds of the shot clock - usually from the horribly streaky Falzon or Demps
  • Again on the low end, two easy buckets by the opponent as a result of missed switches on defense
Somebody will say that's the price of business. But in all these cases, I think these are INCREDIBLY avoidable.

I would start with a strong consideration for tossing that defense for a combination of straight m2m and a zone. Maybe it will change with Demps' departure, but too often, NU gets lost in their switches.

4) Others I'll be looking for:
  • Law - I don't think an improved return is automatic.
  • Who are the final five in close games? I don't agree that toughness was the issue in these close games. Does BMac have options (key word ... plural)? If Falzon becomes the new streaky Demps and Law doesn't shoot that well, it's going to be more of the same in close games. NU needs something close to Falzon to be consistent as well as a versatile second/third scorer. I don't think they are out of the realm of possibility, but neither of those is clear right now.
  • Who is starting at the 2? If Ash is the man ... uh oh.
  • Is there another defender besides Law?
  • A simple one: The Lumpkin factor. If Lumpkin's minutes are in the 20s again, forget it: it's more of the same. A good team can't have somebody on the court who can barely play offense.
5) The schedule - I agree with what everybody has said. If I'm Collins, I'm looking for a way to renegotiate some of these OOC games. The schedule is too tough for this uncertain group.

Yes, yes, I hate the weak schedule also. And I agree with you if you're saying the OOC can prepare a team better for the conference. But this isn't that group.

If NU is looking at Dayton, two out of three from ND, Colorado and Texas as well as an ACC game and a Big East game, you're talking about the strong potential for at least four top-60 OOC games. I'd get that down to two and schedule more 150-200 RPI/KenPom games.

Like everybody else, I have a lot of "ifs" in my post. I HATE if teams.

So what's realistic?

I think NU is covered at center and Law's defense will help. Can they get 23 ppg from Falzon, Law and a freshman to account for Falzon's production this year and the loss of Demps 15 ppg? I think so, so I think an NIT bubble is reasonable (whoopee).

Can one of the freshmen make an impact? If I find one in late November, this is an NIT team.

If two of the freshmen make a strong impact and Falzon or Law make incredible strides, things could be interesting. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility, but don't ask me to make that bet.
Lumpkin only took about 1 3 pt shot a game and he hit 37% That is not the black hole you suggest.

Secondary. Ballhandler.

What has stuck out to me watching the NCAA games (and some of the higher level NIT games) is that these teams have 2 or more players who look very comfortable handling the ball. That doesn't mean they are constantly creating their own shot or breaking down the defense, but handle the ball well enough to pick out a pass or run a set. After BMac, I don't know that we have anyone who can do that.

Teams will take the ball out of BMac's hands, what happens after that is the difference between no postseason, NIT, or NCAA.

I think our defense will be improved as we'll have better athletes at the 2 and 5. We'll also have the ability to put Law and Lumpkin on the court at the same time. If you run out BMac--Lindsey--Law--Lumpkin--Pardon, that can be a defense that will give a lot of people problems. I don't think we'll see much of the switching zone next year, which I believe was in place solely so that we could give Demps heavy minutes w/o completely exposing our bigs to constant foul trouble.

My X-factor is Rapolas. There's so much Coble in him that it's hard not to be excited for his possible impact as a frosh. He can shoot the three well enough to be respected on the perimeter, but then can actually put the ball on the floor and shows strong and crafty interior moves. He can be that stretch 4 that really makes Collins' offense hum (also why Skelly has been working to extend his range).

I've said it a few times, but we need scorers, not just shooters. Brown and Rapolas are scorers, but they will be frosh...there's just not real way to know what to expect.

Hey man, that's just the price of business. But in all seriousness, I think a couple of these will be worked out naturally. The Lumpkin threes will belong to Law and Rapolas, imo--though this is based in my thought that Lumpkin will not start next year, and if he does will not get more than 15 MPG (as the season wears on). I think we're not going to see the switch defense much going forward. As I said above, I think we're now capable of putting an athletic enough M2M lineup out there, or a straight zone that has real length. Unfortunately, those quick threes are just part of the way Collins is gonna run things. We can only hope that the shots come from a more consistent source.
As much as the lack of O from Lumpkin is frustrating, he only took about one per game and he hit 37% which is pretty reasonable. Not sure you are going to improve that much.

While Pardon may eventually be better than Olah, he is not yet. Olah was very steady and knew where to be both on O and D. He did not commit a lot of dumb fouls and he had a nice mid range to three point shot that Pardon has not developed yet. Look at the times he was healthy. Sometimes he did not play to his height but overall he was pretty good for us. He will be missed till Pardon and Benson solidify their games

Thank you. Like Joni Mitchell sang, "you don't know what you got 'till it's gone"......relying on a true Sophomore and a true Freshman at Center in the Big 10 is going to be a challenge. Some nights will be OK, some awful. Next season is about development.

I'll take that bet on Pardon scoring more than Olah. That means Pardon would have to improve from 6.7 to 11.4 points a game, which is not impossible, but he's going to have stay on the floor longer and out of foul trouble, shoot better than 53 percent from the free throw line, and expand his range from more than two feet from the basket. As to Falzon, he's going to have get to the free throw line more than 1.5 times a game, and that means expanding his game so that he's taking less than 78 percent of his shots from three, as he did this season. Don't know what to expect from Law coming off shoulder surgery, but would expect at least some early rust.

The Cats will have to replace 42 percent of their offense with the departures of Demps, Olah and van Zegeren. Again, not impossible, but certainly a challenge.
If you take out that stretch where Olah was injured or recovering, I would guess he came closer to 14-15 pts per game. And for Pardon to get there, he will have to improve a lot. Getting stronger will help both Pardon and Falzon and I would guess more strength will allow Falzon to go inside more.

The NIT needs to be the minimum accepted expectation for next year, and a top-4 seed should be a realistic expectation.

As far as improvement, here's what I think we need:
  • Pardon needs to put on enough weight (read: muscle) to be an effective defender in the post compensating for his shorter height. He doesn't need to match Olah's defensive efforts, but there needs to be significant improvement there
  • Vic Law needs to pick up where he left off offensively in 2015
  • Lindsey needs to continue to become a consistent player - he had a few great games this year, and far too many where he was really just not good. Compared to his performance in 2015 though, 2016 was a big jump forward. It needs to continue to 2017, and he needs to be the effective 2-guard that he has the potential to be
  • Lumpkin will still get minutes, because he is still the best defender on this team. He needs to be more consistent from game to game though, and he needs to at least present the threat of an offensive game. Looking at the stats from this year, while he did very little scoring, lineups featuring him had the 2nd-best offensive performance behind Pardon.
  • Ash needs to be able to play defense. We're going to need his minutes significantly barring a grad transfer at the 2, and he needs to put in a lot of work this summer to be B1G-ready
  • Skelly and Falzon to continue on their track from this year
  • The freshmen to provide a similar level of impact from the last two classes
In any other year, this years team would have been an NIT team. Lack of respect for the BIG hurt us more than our OOC schedule. It showed up in poor seedings and OSU going to NIT rather than NCAA and us being on the outside looking in.

In any other year, this years team would have been an NIT team. Lack of respect for the BIG hurt us more than our OOC schedule. It showed up in poor seedings and OSU going to NIT rather than NCAA and us being on the outside looking in.

Not buying the "BIG got disrespected thing" at all. It was a down year for the conference and it still sent half the league to the NCAAs. I haven't heard anyone crying foul over Ohio State being left out of the dance.

As far as NU is concerned, If you can't beat more than one team in the top half of your conference and don't challenge yourself in the OOC, you put yourself in a tenuous situation come selection Sunday. Virginia Tech did just that and ended up in the NIT.

There were factors that certainly went against NU this go around and they've been discussed in detail (bid thieves, issues with RPI formula, etc), but it really came down to this:

Record against Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State: 1-5

Last edited:
Reactions: backdoorpass

Many of you rated Olah higher than I did. This will sound like a backhanded compliment, but all credit to Olah and the staff for getting him to the point where he could be a double-figures scorer in the Big Ten, but the kid was about as athletically-limited as you will see at the high major level. After a few minutes of watching Pardon, it was clear that he had miles better basketball feel and coordination. Frankly, I wish Collins had just stuck with Pardon for the remainder of the season after Olah went down. It's no mystery: guys are inconsistent when they get limited minutes or inconsistent minutes. I think Pardon is a better player right now.

Not buying the "BIG got disrespected thing" at all. It was a down year for the conference and it still sent half the league to the NCAAs. I haven't heard anyone crying foul over Ohio State being left out of the dance.

As far as NU is concerned, If you can't beat more than one team in the top half of your conference and don't challenge yourself in the OOC, you put yourself in a tenuous situation come selection Sunday. Virginia Tech did just that and ended up in the NIT.

There were factors that certainly went against NU this go around and they've been discussed in detail (bid thieves, issues with RPI formula, etc), but it really came down to this:

The league wasn't THAT down at the top. Rutgers and unusually bad Minnesota and Illinois teams dragged us down at the bottom. MSU and Purdue lost games they probably win 19 times out of 20. Even with the two title game teams upset in the first round, still advanced three to the final 16. There is no way the regular season champion of the Big Ten with a 15-3 conference record should ever be seeded fifth, not when you had a Utah team that got run off the court by Gonzaga seeded at No. 3. Big 12 was the best balanced league this year, and I'll give the ACC a slight edge over the B1G due to their tourney performance (although a couple of ACC teams rally benefitted from busted brackets, which is why you want high seeds). The B1G was definitely superior to the SEC and Pac 12.

The league wasn't THAT down at the top. Rutgers and unusually bad Minnesota and Illinois teams dragged us down at the bottom. MSU and Purdue lost games they probably win 19 times out of 20. Even with the two title game teams upset in the first round, still advanced three to the final 16. There is no way the regular season champion of the Big Ten with a 15-3 conference record should ever be seeded fifth, not when you had a Utah team that got run off the court by Gonzaga seeded at No. 3. Big 12 was the best balanced league this year, and I'll give the ACC a slight edge over the B1G due to their tourney performance (although a couple of ACC teams rally benefitted from busted brackets, which is why you want high seeds). The B1G was definitely superior to the SEC and Pac 12.

The second best team in the fifth best conference was a two seed. What's the problem?

Many of you rated Olah higher than I did. This will sound like a backhanded compliment, but all credit to Olah and the staff for getting him to the point where he could be a double-figures scorer in the Big Ten, but the kid was about as athletically-limited as you will see at the high major level. After a few minutes of watching Pardon, it was clear that he had miles better basketball feel and coordination. Frankly, I wish Collins had just stuck with Pardon for the remainder of the season after Olah went down. It's no mystery: guys are inconsistent when they get limited minutes or inconsistent minutes. I think Pardon is a better player right now.

Pardon has the athletic ability to be great, but he couldn't stay in many games this season without fouling ...

As much as the lack of O from Lumpkin is frustrating, he only took about one per game and he hit 37% which is pretty reasonable. Not sure you are going to improve that much.

29% from three in conference play.

You also might want to take a look at some of his advanced stats in the conference.

The record against UM, OSU and PSU is just one of so many factors.

Every one of the last four teams in and first four teams out had AT LEAST 4 top-100 RPI wins.

I believe Long Beach State was the last at-large NIT bid. They had seven top-100 wins.

NU had 2 top-100 wins and no top-25 wins.

NU's non-bid had very little to do with the schedule. Monmouth, one of the first four teams out, had seven top 100 games. NU had 13.

Monmouth had nine 101-200 games. NU had eight.

The Cats couldn't win the front end of their RPI and they were too fat at the back end

Reactions: hoosboot
Pardon has the athletic ability to be great, but he couldn't stay in many games this season without fouling ...

Actually, I don't think Pardon is a great athlete. I do think he has an intuitive feel for the game. Again, players improve with consistent, significant minutes. Among other things, players learn how to play with fouls.

The second best team in the fifth best conference was a two seed. What's the problem?
They were ranked #2 overall before winning the BTT. In the mean time, a Virginia team that neither won the conference or the ACC tourney got a one seed. While MSU got a two seed? Sorry but does not compute. Also Indiana and Purdue should have been 3 seeds.

Last edited:

Since they went to 64 teams, I do not know of a single case where an 11 BIG conference win team did not get into the NCAA. This year, OSU was the first. Only one 10 win team had not gotten in, PSU a couple years ago). Heck, MICH, a 12 win (including BTT) BIG team was in a play in game to get an 11 seed. Seedings also showed the lack of respect. Compare that to the favorable treatment of the PAC 12. 7 teams go tin ( Out of12) PAC 12 teams made it in and PAC 12 teams also got higher seeds and we saw how that worked out. I also believe that the seeding had an effect on a number of games. I would think that proper seeding would likely have resulted in 2 or more wins for the conference and likely more. In general, that is what I mean by a lack of respect.

And if OSU had been put in the NCAA, like they normally would have been, it is likely we would have been in the NIT. So based on what happened, regardless of our OOC schedule with the way the BIG was being treated it was highly unlikely that we getting in. Therefore,I repeat,lack of respect for the BIG was more instrumental in keeping us out than our OOC schedule

Last edited:
29% from three in conference play.

You also might want to take a look at some of his advanced stats in the conference.
So what is that? 1.7 threes that he did not hit in conference?

Since they went to 64 teams, I do not know of a single case where an 11 BIG conference win team did not get into the NCAA. This year, OSU was the first. Only one 10 win team had not gotten in, PSU a couple years ago). Heck, MICH, a 12 win (including BTT) BIG team was in a play in game to get an 11 seed. Seedings also showed the lack of respect. Compare that to the favorable treatment of the PAC 12. 7 teams go tin ( Out of12) PAC 12 teams made it in and PAC 12 teams also got higher seeds and we saw how that worked out. I also believe that the seeding had an effect on a number of games. I would think that proper seeding would likely have resulted in 2 or more wins for the conference and likely more. In general, that is what I mean by a lack of respect.

And if OSU had been put in the NCAA, like they normally would have been, it is likely we would have been in the NIT. So based on what happened, regardless of our OOC schedule with the way the BIG was being treated it was highly unlikely that we getting in. Therefore,I repeat,lack of respect for the BIG was more instrumental in keeping us out than our OOC schedule

How many teams in the B1G now? So how many extra diluted wins? Rutgers? How about den Cornhuskers? Easier to get to 11 with a few more crappy teams in the league. Every year would have produced an IL and MN. But the bottom of the B1G was similar to NUs OOC schedule - crappy.

7o73l.jpg

And if OSU had been put in the NCAA, like they normally would have been, it is likely we would have been in the NIT.

That conclusion does not follow.

So based on what happened, regardless of our OOC schedule with the way the BIG was being treated it was highly unlikely that we getting in. Therefore,I repeat,lack of respect for the BIG was more instrumental in keeping us out than our OOC schedule

The selection committee relies almost entirely upon RPI and related statistics like record vs. RPI top 100, and breaks "ties" generally by taking major conference teams. The last four teams in -- Wichita, Michigan, Tulsa, Vanderbilt -- were RPI 47, 57, 58, and 62 respectively. Ohio State at 74 wasn't getting in, and that has nothing to do with "respect" for the Big Ten. Likewise, NU at 115 wasn't getting into the NIT.

RPI is determined by strength of schedule, specifically opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage. Want a better RPI? Get a better non-conference schedule.

That conclusion does not follow.

The selection committee relies almost entirely upon RPI and related statistics like record vs. RPI top 100, and breaks "ties" generally by taking major conference teams. The last four teams in -- Wichita, Michigan, Tulsa, Vanderbilt -- were RPI 47, 57, 58, and 62 respectively. Ohio State at 74 wasn't getting in, and that has nothing to do with "respect" for the Big Ten. Likewise, NU at 115 wasn't getting into the NIT.

RPI is determined by strength of schedule, specifically opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage. Want a better RPI? Get a better non-conference schedule.

Or beat more good teams. I long ago argued that we needed more victories against top 100 (really top 50 teams) to make the NIT. Everyone we were competing for an NIT spot against beat more top 100 teams. That was our problem. It wasn't a lack of respect for the B1G. It was lack of quality wins. We could have potentially gotten more if we scheduled a better OOC, but we also had the opportunity to get some in conference. The problem is that we didn't get them anywhere. As such, your RPI analysis is on point. We could have had a higher RPI with more quality opponents and, more specifically, with more quality wins. But, we didn't...and that's why we were out. It's no great conspiracy.

The record against UM, OSU and PSU is just one of so many factors.

Every one of the last four teams in and first four teams out had AT LEAST 4 top-100 RPI wins.

I believe Long Beach State was the last at-large NIT bid. They had seven top-100 wins.

NU had 2 top-100 wins and no top-25 wins.

NU's non-bid had very little to do with the schedule. Monmouth, one of the first four teams out, had seven top 100 games. NU had 13.

Monmouth had nine 101-200 games. NU had eight.

The Cats couldn't win the front end of their RPI and they were too fat at the back end

What 112 said.

Don't we talk about potential every year? Wasn't there much hoopla about Falzon, Pardon, Demps, Mac, heading into this year? I think only Lindsey was agreed to really be a question mark among the masses. Go back, would you say any lived up to the preseason hype. Even Mac seemed to wear down again by late season. And the year before, the next big thing was Law.

We are not KY, Duke, Louisville. If a frosh is even close to D1 ready, it isn't going to be at star level. Ain't gonna happen. So resting hope on RI, Brown or Benson is a fools chase. They should be expected to be a non factor and maybe offer minor contributions in best case.

So then, what do we have?

Mac - known quantity, but based on NU history plus high usage, my prediction for next crippling NU injury
(No known quantity PG backup)
Lindsey - potential. Shows up, disappears, shows up, disappears - nothing to suggest change yet
Law - coming off season long injury, was strong on D, but O came around late - no way to know impact or recovery time from this year
Falzon - rough D, didn't show much O outside the inconsistent 3 - like Lindsey, great potential but unknown
Pardon - a good game or two, great potential but not even sure he can play long minutes without foul trouble

That's your starting 5. Lots of unknowns. The bench:
Lump - no O, presence for heavy minutes means Falzon did not progress as hoped
Tap - no D, and recurring foot problems. See Lump but also could be indicator that Law is not what we hoped for next year
Ash - who knows, couldn't earn much garbage time this year. Either CCC doesn't like to give experience or evaluated 35+ of Mac and Demps and the related risks was better than what Ash brought to the table.
Skelly - if he repeats this year, he is a quality backup 4. If he improves and sees more time, then either Law or Falzon fell short

I'm not going to bank on any diaper dandies at NU. Frosh appearance will more likely mean either injury or lack of development at a key rotation spot. Maybe one or two sees backup time in the rotation, but if we are to be any good, your starting five all need to improve (except Mac, he just needs some rest throughout the season IMHO). That's a lot of hopes.

Call me whatever you want, my koolaid drinking friends, but that is the hard real truth. Can all the potential show up, a diaper dandy be born, an NCAA birth finally arrive. Absolutely. But that's against the odds. Anybody brazen enough to bet me even money on NCAAs next year if you think I'm so wrong?

Our challenge is a lack of known quantities, so we need some consistent night in and night out guys to emerge. BMac will be one, but we need at least one if not two more. IMHO, Law is poised to be one. No one knows exactly how he'll return from injury, but I also don't recall anyone being overly concerned about his readiness to return to a substantial role when recovered back when the injury occurred. So, the big question is whether he is poised to be a #2 or a #3 (and to a lesser degree what happens if injury issues linger.) But, who else? A lot of growth happens between year 1 and year 2, but I didn't see enough from Falzon, Lindsey, or Pardon to believe they will be the third guy. I saw enough to believe they CAN if they show substantial growth, but not enough to say they WILL. And Falzon or Pardon seem more likely candidates to me than Lindsey. Rap could also push this envelope, but counting on frosh to be primary options at NU isn't a good recipe for substantial success yet. I don't see it from Brown the way other guys do (I'm talking as a frosh), but I'll be pleasantly surprised if that emerges.

So, again IMHO, we may be looking at a season a lot like this year and that's where I'd bet $ if I bet $ on college players. BMac is the consistent. If we get more consistency from others and less injury issues, we move up. If we don't, we move down. Lots of potential, but too many ifs to make broad proclamations about our progress.

As such, your RPI analysis is on point. We could have had a higher RPI with more quality opponents and, more specifically, with more quality wins. But, we didn't...and that's why we were out. It's no great conspiracy.

It's obviously true that, had we won more games against good teams, our NIT (or even NCAA, depending how many) resume would have been better.

But again, RPI is based on strength of schedule. Improving our non-conference schedule would have helped our RPI even if we didn't win any more top 100 games. That's the point.

It's obviously true that, had we won more games against good teams, our NIT (or even NCAA, depending how many) resume would have been better.

But again, RPI is based on strength of schedule. Improving our non-conference schedule would have helped our RPI even if we didn't win any more top 100 games. That's the point.

I get that. I just don't think just scheduling a Dayton and Vandy instead of a MVSU or Chicago State would have helped our RPI enough to matter. Our RPI was in the 100's. We needed to beat somebody to move it substantially enough to make a difference.

I get that. I just don't think just scheduling a Dayton and Vandy instead of a MVSU or Chicago State would have helped our RPI enough to matter. Our RPI was in the 100's. We needed to beat somebody to move it substantially enough to make a difference.

This is true. If we replace wins over MVSU and Chicago State with losses to Dayton and Vanderbilt, our RPI remains basically unchanged. But then, if we lose every game we schedule up, we still don't deserve to be in the postseason.

Here's something interesting, though: using RPI Forecast, if we just didn't play Chicago State or MVSU, and didn't replace them on the schedule (or played D2/3 schools), our RPI would have been 14 spots higher. That's still likely not enough to reach the NIT, but that should demonstrate how bad scheduling hurts us. It's actually better not to play at all than it is to blow out a garbage team.

How do you figure it was the fifth-best conference? I'll give you the Big 12 and the ACC off their performance in the Big Dance. Who else?

Just going by rpi, like the committees do. In other words all the BIG "disrespect" is completely deserved and justified by the math. The worst big 10 in 15 years by some measures. Then add in that 10 teams in the country played a softer nc sos, and it's hard to get why people can't understand why we weren't even last 8 out of the nit.

More from RPI Forecast:

If we removed the four 300+ teams from our schedule and replaced them with four teams right around 200 -- in this case I used Bowling Green, George Mason, Western Michigan, and Fairleigh Dickinson -- winning those games improves our RPI to 94. That puts us squarely in NIT contention without adding a single "good win" to the schedule.

Just going by rpi, like the committees do. In other words all the BIG "disrespect" is completely deserved and justified by the math. The worst big 10 in 15 years by some measures. Then add in that 10 teams in the country played a softer nc sos, and it's hard to get why people can't understand why we weren't even last 8 out of the nit.

I don't care what the RPI said. The eye tests say a lot different. SEC had three teams in the tournament and barring an epic 14-point collapse in 44 seconds by Northern Iowa wouldn't have gotten a single team past the second round. Pac 12 showed nothing outside of Oregon. No way the B1G was worse than either of those conferences.

I don't care what the RPI said. The eye tests say a lot different. SEC had three teams in the tournament and barring an epic 14-point collapse in 44 seconds by Northern Iowa wouldn't have gotten a single team past the second round. Pac 12 showed nothing outside of Oregon. No way the B1G was worse than either of those conferences.

That's fine, but in a thread about the Big getting snubbed in the nit and ncaa we should probably use the measure they both use which isn't eye test, it's rpi (largely anyway).

What the teams do in the tourneys is irrelevant too (when discussing conference strength anyway) because the slots and seeds are already assigned by then so how they fare after the fact is moot. The teams aren't seeded according to how well the committees think they'll do, they're seeded only based on what they've done already.

And yet we won the ACC/B1G challenge against the almighty ACC. Yeah, we really sucked...lol

SpartCat, I was dead set on a two-guard before your post, but you make a damn good argument for the big man.

However, on second thought about your post, I don't think there's room for a 5th year scholarship.

Law
Pardon
Lindsey
Ash
McIntosh
Taphorn
Lumpkin
Falzon
Skelly
Brown
Benson
Ivanauskus
Vassar (d'oh!!)
This is going to be interesting. I to was dead set on a two guard but really on thinking about it I think we could use a good big man to smooth the ride for Benson and Pardon. I mean a good big man and that would be a lot better than the last two, Joey and the guy from Yale. If all we can get at this time are players of that caliber, I would bring another freshman big man, if he can play sometime in the future, and red shirt him.

Of course this all depends on this Vassar deal, which I think will straighten itself out. If you think about Vassar hanging around, it really amounts to the same thing as a NCAA penalty for of all people NU who does damn near everything by the book and even gives these guys a great education on top of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT