ADVERTISEMENT

Speaking of Loyola

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
a) Anybody see the scrimmage yesterday?

b) Anybody have a box score?

c) Glad to see Law is playing. I got a report that he was practicing fine the other day.

d) HEY NU!!!! Why don't we play these guys annually as part of the regular schedule? This is the second year of an NU/Loyola scrimmage. I know there were "problems" from the last staff. Aren't they behind us? That would be a fun annual game.

Don't worry that Loyola is nearby competition. It's good for everybody and good for building your Chicago brand.

It makes the OOC schedule more interesting, and makes LoyolaCat (and me) happy. Sign 'em up!!

I do not know if I could handle a NU-LU game....So here is what was posted on an LU board Ramblermania..........That LU was up by 17 at one point....but in the end NU won by 1.....Not a lot of specifics in terms of who played........one 20 minute period followed by situational situations.....Nice to see the two schools have a relationship....Soccer seems to be establishing a relationship and I believe NU had LU in the field at their golf tnmt. Two really good guys as head coaches...I am pretty sure that Coach Moser lives either northern Evanston or in WIlmette....Both schools do a great job of having student-athletes and making it a priority...(I think last year LU edged out NU and finished #1 in the nation for that athlete graduation rate) I always thought it would make sense if both schools collaborated for joint degrees .Might benefit athletes at both schools. If LU had a better non-conference schedule I would encourage you to head down and see a game.....There will be a good inter-city battle with UIC ,,,I think on December 2nd. Any way glad to be a fan of two great schools.

Reactions: JournCat
a) Anybody see the scrimmage yesterday?

b) Anybody have a box score?

c) Glad to see Law is playing. I got a report that he was practicing fine the other day.

d) HEY NU!!!! Why don't we play these guys annually as part of the regular schedule? This is the second year of an NU/Loyola scrimmage. I know there were "problems" from the last staff. Aren't they behind us? That would be a fun annual game.

Don't worry that Loyola is nearby competition. It's good for everybody and good for building your Chicago brand.

It makes the OOC schedule more interesting, and makes LoyolaCat (and me) happy. Sign 'em up!!
Don't understand why NU doesn't makes notes and box scores available to all. Also agree that they should play Loyola and how about Marquette or Bradly as well.

Loyola is the closest D1 school to NU, but they haven't played a real game in like 20 years. For shame. The renovated Gentile Center is a nice venue, much improved from before the renovation. I was hoping NU would play there this season.

Loyola is the closest D1 school to NU, but they haven't played a real game in like 20 years. For shame. The renovated Gentile Center is a nice venue, much improved from before the renovation. I was hoping NU would play there this season.

I went to see a LU vs. Michigan State game about 15-17 years ago at LU. Obviously the entire stadium was packed with Spartan fans. Jason Richardson and Zach Randolph were the two headliners for MSU and in the game Richardson caught a lob and still to this day his head was above the rim and he had to push the ball downwards towards the basket to complete the ally oop

Cool story bro

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
It was a meaningless scrimmage. Loyola doesn't have enough seats in the gym to make the stats worth a darn!
I imagine Loyola's gym seats around 5,000. NU has played quite a few games at W-R with less fans then that.

The why does NU need a bigger arena than 6,800 seats?
I know you are just posting that because you can't accept that NU just might have miscalculated under sizing the new arena. But I'll play the game, NU is in the Big Ten, a Power 5 conference, Loyola in the Horizon Conference. NU just went to the NCAA post season, Loyola, not for a long time. Would imagine that NU athletic contributions far exceed those at Loyola. Bet Loyola don't require a $6,000 "donation" for a parking permit. Then again parking is pretty tight around their campus. Still think it would be a good idea to play them home and away. Guess MSU did.

Missouri Valley...left the Horizon 4 years ago.....But agree there is a big difference between the two......and parking is 7 bucks in a really nice parking garage 100 yards from the Arena...... Just my thoughts...it seems like attendance is down all over,,,football and basketball....I think people are getting out of the habit of going out....whether it is movies, sports etc....now McDonalds is delivering....so maybe it makes sense if you want to make sure you have a full house and a crowd that is a home court advantage......I wish like heck LU could fill the Gentile..

I do not know if I could handle a NU-LU game....So here is what was posted on an LU board Ramblermania..........That LU was up by 17 at one point....but in the end NU won by 1.....Not a lot of specifics in terms of who played........one 20 minute period followed by situational situations.....Nice to see the two schools have a relationship....Soccer seems to be establishing a relationship and I believe NU had LU in the field at their golf tnmt. Two really good guys as head coaches...I am pretty sure that Coach Moser lives either northern Evanston or in WIlmette....Both schools do a great job of having student-athletes and making it a priority...(I think last year LU edged out NU and finished #1 in the nation for that athlete graduation rate) I always thought it would make sense if both schools collaborated for joint degrees .Might benefit athletes at both schools. If LU had a better non-conference schedule I would encourage you to head down and see a game.....There will be a good inter-city battle with UIC ,,,I think on December 2nd. Any way glad to be a fan of two great schools.

We were down 17 to Loyola at one point? That's not good. I don't care if it was an exhibition or not. That's like losing to Eastern Illinois in an exhibition.

We were down 17 to Loyola at one point? That's not good. I don't care if it was an exhibition or not. That's like losing to Eastern Illinois in an exhibition.

Kenpom ratings:
Loyola (IL): 93
Eastern Illinois: 205

Dont want to get in to any kind of hubba hubba here .....cuz i really do love both teams and root for both.... In an exhibition who knows what the coaches used the game for.....NU could have been trying to get some lesser players some time....seeing if a player could do well at another position....trying to get some time with a little used defense....who knows what the circumstances where to make any kind of judgement on anything other than two good coaches,,,,two good schools ..helping each other get ready for the season.....Having said that LU had two players who could have played on the top 5 for NU last year.....not replace but replicate....Milton Doyle who made the Brooklyn Nets squad and is now on their D league squad and Ben Richardson just one tough dude reminds me of Craig Moore but quicker....Anyway hope we are hearing a lot about both teams late in March

I love the idea of playing local teams for non-con games. More fans never hurts...and local rivalries are what make college sports so good! We should be playing Loyola and the rest of the Chicago area D1 schools as often as possible. And heck, throw in a Lewis everyone once in awhile instead of the RPI 350 Texas Pan-Ams of the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT