ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction for the rest of the season

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Did a quick run through of the rest of Northwestern's schedule, and I think I found an optimistic but realistic route where the Wildcats can end up 19-12 with a 10-10 Big Ten record. A solid Big Ten tournament performance that puts them at 20-13 or 21-13 should have them firmly on the bubble. Northwestern doesn't have the same brand equity, but Michigan got in at 17-14, 11-9 Big Ten last season, I think the Wildcats could put themselves in a similar position with a slightly stronger non-con resume and a slightly weaker Big Ten resume.

Wins: Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, @ Maryland, Penn State, @ Rutgers
Losses: @ Iowa, Wisconsin, @ Wisconsin, @ OSU, Purdue, Indiana, @ Illinois

I think it's going to come down to if the Wildcats can keep the long view, or if they let some of their tougher conference stretches wear them down and drop winnable games. I think they're going to struggle with two four-game losing streaks, but there is light at the end of the tunnel of each.

Especially right now, this team has to keep its head up even if it loses to Iowa and Wisconsin the next two games and take care of business against Nebraska and Minnesota to set up revenge against Michigan. Same goes for the four game stretch after that. I don't think I see a win in the stretch of at Wisconsin, at Ohio State, Purdue and Indiana, but they have to stay motivated because I think they can win four of their last five or even win out.

Wins: Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, @ Maryland, Penn State, @ Rutgers
Losses: @ Iowa, Wisconsin, @ Wisconsin, @ OSU, Purdue, Indiana, @ Illinois
Wins and losses are so hard to predict and every game is a fight. So who knows where we can win, or lose, if we sustain being competitive, or fall apart.

But why would you choose losses to:
1) Wisconsin - they are in a hole, and missing, arguably, their best player. It's at home. I know we've been dismantled by the Badgers over and over again... still...
2) Indiana - they have been struggling. Very much down the road, but it's a home game and we seem to always give the Hoosiers a big fight

On paper these seem, to me, more likely wins than @Rutgers or @Maryland, solely based on being away games.

• Love
Reactions: NUMBfan and drewjin
Wins and losses are so hard to predict and every game is a fight. So who knows where we can win, or lose, if we sustain being competitive, or fall apart.

But why would you choose losses to:
1) Wisconsin - they are in a hole, and missing, arguably, their best player. It's at home. I know we've been dismantled by the Badgers over and over again... still...
2) Indiana - they have been struggling. Very much down the road, but it's a home game and we seem to always give the Hoosiers a big fight

On paper these seem, to me, more likely wins than @Rutgers or @Maryland, solely based on being away games.
I think the game against Wisconsin is definitely going to be a toss up or even lean towards Northwestern, but I was trying to stay realistic because NU has dropped two straight themselves. I think the Wildcats will still struggle with Wisconsin's size, and the Badgers have a game against Penn State to right the ship before they come to Evanston.

For Indiana, I just have a hard time seeing NU pull off the sweep of a team with Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jalen Hood-Schifino. Plus, they'll be playing Indiana after playing @ Wisconsin, @ Ohio State and then Purdue. The Hoosiers got a win over Wisconsin to balance out their shellacking from Penn State, but if their collapse resumes this could be NU's chance to get back on track before the home stretch.

Michigan got in at 17-14, 11-9 Big Ten last season, I think the Wildcats could put themselves in a similar position with a slightly stronger non-con resume and a slightly weaker Big Ten resume.
The Cats weak non-com schedule will hurt them

The Cats weak non-com schedule will hurt them
NU's non-con schedule is definitely looking a little weak as the season progresses. Georgetown and DePaul are the two worst teams in the Big East, and the Wildcats got thrashed by Pittsburgh. Collins had talked about hoping that PVAMU or Purdue Fort-Wayne could compete for their conference titles, neither seems to be obliging.

Cancun ended up being a good trip for the Wildcats though, it gave them their two non-con talking points. The 14-point win over Liberty (14-5, 5-1 A-Sun) is aging well, and the one-point loss to No. 16 Auburn (14-3, 4-1 SEC) stings but proves Northwestern can play with one the best teams in the country.

I think that's pretty comparable with Michigan last year. The Wolverines beat one non-con tourney team in San Diego State, but lost big to UCF and Arizona. Again, I think their brand and program status helped them a lot but I think Northwestern can end the year with a similar blind resume.

It's Sade's birthday. I don't know how many more games we will win. But I can guarantee, with 100% certainty, that it will be less than the number of babies that were conceived to her music.

Music Video Soul GIF by NOWNESS

It's Sade's birthday. I don't know how many more games we will win. But I can guarantee, with 100% certainty, that it will be less than the number of babies that were conceived to her music.

Music Video Soul GIF by NOWNESS
Exactly.

Back in my salad days at NU, I knew that the nookie train would soon leave the station when Toni Childs came on. And if it was Sade, it was the express train.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT