ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Bars in Northern Virginia?

7th Cir. Cat

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2006
Two weeks ago I moved to McLean Virginia. I've been spoiled by spending the last 25 years in Chicago so I usually just went to the game or turned on BTN or the local ESPN station to watch the Cats. Does anyone have a bar recommendation for me for Friday night where I can watch the Cats game (I don't have my internet/cable package setup yet). I work in Arlington and live in McLean, so somewhere in those areas would be great. I'm not very familiar with NoVa yet, but I think I'm also relatively close to Falls Church if they have any good sports bars for college football.

I need your help! Thanks so much. Go CATS!

If you don’t get a decent answer here, you might try and call the head of the local alumni Association who will probably know of places in the area. Hope this works

It is also quite possible that the local alumni Association has a game watch that you would certainly be welcome to attendMight meet some fellow fans in your area

Thanks for the tips! I'll def. do that, I'm starting to get desperate! I haven't missed a season opener in almost 30 years.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Two weeks ago I moved to McLean Virginia. I've been spoiled by spending the last 25 years in Chicago so I usually just went to the game or turned on BTN or the local ESPN station to watch the Cats. Does anyone have a bar recommendation for me for Friday night where I can watch the Cats game (I don't have my internet/cable package setup yet). I work in Arlington and live in McLean, so somewhere in those areas would be great. I'm not very familiar with NoVa yet, but I think I'm also relatively close to Falls Church if they have any good sports bars for college football.

More like 4th Cir. Cat

The DelMarVa Penninsula suggests you are close to Maryland, which is in the B1G, so local sports bars will carry BTN and certainly ESPN. However, Get there early!! This is a midwestern game. Sit at the bar, befriend the bartender, order drinks and tip him or her well, well before the game starts. Whatever you do, don't order white wine. Then ask if he could please tune in the MSU game on one of the TV's. Don't mention Northwestern as he will become suspicious. Order dinner, so he knows you will be staying a while. Tip some more. Once the game is on, DO NOT leave your seat, or some a****** will ask to change this to some meaningless game in the ACC. Main thing is to defend your territory. Enjoy the NU victory!

Last edited:
BlackFinn in DC was the spot for a while (Wilbon & Adande where there for the Gator Bowl), but restaurant would often supplant NU games for Tennessee or other large SEC fanbases. Good people would drop by, but I wasn’t a fan. Weak food/beverage and overpriced to boot. I believe BlackFinn Merrifield (just west of the Beltway and south of 66) tried to start something, but not sure if it stuck.

Your best bet is probably BW3’s in Ballston. Lots of TV’s and space and definitely less obnoxious than the Clarendon bar scene, which gets worse by the year. DogFishHead Falls Church is a great spot to watch a game (beer and food are solid), but not a ton of TVs. Have watched the Bears there on occasion over the years. Tysons has solid restaurants. You could try to camp out at the bar at a spot like Barrel and Bushel since the game is on ESPN.

NoVA is a pleasant place to live and jobs are a plenty, but the prices are quite high and the environment is sterile compared to a world class city like Chicago (I miss it so). DC area pizza isn’t great either.

That being said, definitely check out the plethora of quality cuisine from the Asian continent. Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Dim-Sum, Laotian, Burmese, etc. All fantastic and most family owned.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
BlackFinn apparently scared off by Covid. NU Club of DC recommending Brickside in Bethesda, Maryland. Watched there a couple of years ago. Nobody showed. Dull. But welcome to DC-land. Great place to live.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
The DelMarVa Penninsula suggests you are close to Maryland, which is in the B1G, so local sports bars will carry BTN and certainly ESPN. However, Get there early!! This is a midwestern game. Sit at the bar, befriend the bartender, order drinks and tip him or her well, well before the game starts. Whatever you do, don't order white wine. Then ask if he could please tune in the MSU game on one of the TV's. Don't mention Northwestern as he will become suspicious. Order dinner, so he knows you will be staying a while. Tip some more. Once the game is on, DO NOT leave your seat, or some a****** will ask to change this to some meaningless game in the ACC. Main thing is to defend your territory. Enjoy the NU victory!
Ha! Thanks for the laugh and practical tips (call it the MSU game and order wings and beer, not wine and cheese - check). Although do people in MD do crabs and beer for games?? Is that a football food?

BlackFinn in DC was the spot for a while (Wilbon & Adande where there for the Gator Bowl), but restaurant would often supplant NU games for Tennessee or other large SEC fanbases. Good people would drop by, but I wasn’t a fan. Weak food/beverage and overpriced to boot. I believe BlackFinn Merrifield (just west of the Beltway and south of 66) tried to start something, but not sure if it stuck.

Your best bet is probably BW3’s in Ballston. Lots of TV’s and space and definitely less obnoxious than the Clarendon bar scene, which gets worse by the year. DogFishHead Falls Church is a great spot to watch a game (beer and food are solid), but not a ton of TVs. Have watched the Bears there on occasion over the years. Tysons has solid restaurants. You could try to camp out at the bar at a spot like Barrel and Bushel since the game is on ESPN.

NoVA is a pleasant place to live and jobs are a plenty, but the prices are quite high and the environment is sterile compared to a world class city like Chicago (I miss it so). DC area pizza isn’t great either.

That being said, definitely check out the plethora of quality cuisine from the Asian continent. Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Dim-Sum, Laotian, Burmese, etc. All fantastic and most family owned.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the write up! The Asian food here seems legit. I work near the Crystal City Metro stop and there are a ton of options.

i like DogFishHead 60 min IPA so maybe I’ll check out that place in Falls Church!

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Ha! Thanks for the laugh and practical tips (call it the MSU game and order wings and beer, not wine and cheese - check). Although do people in MD do crabs and beer for games?? Is that a football food?
Yes, they both catch crabs and eat them.

Thanks for the write up! The Asian food here seems legit. I work near the Crystal City Metro stop and there are a ton of options.

i like DogFishHead 60 min IPA so maybe I’ll check out that place in Falls Church!
Absolutely. My only other suggestion would be to check the hours with the game starting late. Places close earlier in this area and the pandemic has shortened them even more so. If they close early, BW3’s Ballston is probably the best bet and closest to McLean (10 to 15 mim drive).

I used to work over in McLean and Peter Chang’s is a must visit. Mama Chang’s in Fairfax is outstanding as well.

A few other recommendations would be Padek (Laotian - Seven Corners right across from DogfishHead), Four Sisters (Vietnamese - Merrifield), Myanmar Restaurant (Burmese - Falls Church) The Block (Korean food court - Annandale) and Thai Basil (Chantilly).

Last edited:
The Auld Shibeen (Irish Pub) in Fairfax City has a nice bar with several tv's-technically not a sports bar but I am sure they will be showing prime time college football. Next door is the Ornery Brewery which would be a similar venue

These bars are not that close to you. The NU Club of DC used to meet at a pub in DC-possibly Penn Quarter 689 Indiana Ave NW
From the bars in MD that I have been to you usually drink beer and then get crabs

The DelMarVa Penninsula suggests you are close to Maryland, which is in the B1G, so local sports bars will carry BTN and certainly ESPN.

He doesn't live on or near the Delmarva peninsula. That's the eastern side of Chesapeake Bay.

There’s a strip of sports bars in Arlington if you’re willing to make the trip. Spider Kelley’s Don Tito and the goat

Reactions: NJcatsfan
He doesn't live on or near the Delmarva peninsula. That's the eastern side of Chesapeake Bay.
Yes, I know, my only point was that Virginia abuts Maryland, a B1G state in which all B1G games will likely be broadcast.

Last edited:
Also following this thread. Just moved to Alexandria in late July.
While not a sports bar, Rustico (Alexandria and Arlington) offer an excellent selection of food and drink. Have watched sports at both locations before, with the Alexandria location being better for college football. The majestic lounge in Del Ray (in the back of EveningStar) is another cool spot to take in a game. It’s very small, but great.

The best strategy I’ve found over the years in this area is to find a place you like, get there early and be kind and generous to the staff. Create your own Wildcat bar.

Also following this thread. Just moved to Alexandria in late July.
Awesome!! You’re a grizzled veteran of NoVa at this point. Given your name I had to throw this out there- Emmy Squared. It’s a new-ish place for Detroit style eight square pizza in Alexandria. I think it’s amazing, but you gotta let me know if think it’s authentic

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
There is a Facebook group called 'Northwestern Wildcats in Virginia'. If you join that, you will see people posting details about watch parties.

Awesome!! You’re a grizzled veteran of NoVa at this point. Given your name I had to throw this out there- Emmy Squared. It’s a new-ish place for Detroit style eight square pizza in Alexandria. I think it’s amazing, but you gotta let me know if think it’s authentic
I was already planning to go there with a fellow native Detroiter! We'll check it out and report back to you.

Ordered it tonight. It's legit but we're not in Michigan anymore as far as price. Whew...

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT