ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Reno Update

Link from NU sites:
https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...ly-design-concepts-for-dynamic-new-ryan-field

https://rebuildryanfield.com/

Key point -- 35,000 capacity

ryan-field1940__FitMaxWzk3MCw2NTBd.jpg

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I would have liked for them to keep the (admittedly useless) towers.

At least I can see a few more games next year

Reactions: drewjin
Looking at the renderings, makes me wonder whether the playing surface is large enough to host international soccer, college lacrosse playoffs or international rugby. These are events that a 35K stadium would be ideal for. I can't imagine that the design would not accommodate these other sports

Architecturally, on the exterior it is much more honest (not pandering to the current trite trends in facade design) than Huntington Bank Stadium in the TC, although the concept in plan appears very similar. This a good thing.

Last edited:
A new stadium is cool and all but I’d rather those boosters create an $800m NIL endowment. Would definitely lead to more wins.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin
A new stadium is cool and all but I’d rather those boosters create an $800m NIL endowment. Would definitely lead to more wins.
Boosters can do both. NU may be small, but the boosters are not car dealers.

Last edited:
I just noticed in the picture of the interior, the place is shown smothered in purple, but on the video board it shows the team wearing black jerseys with white helmets. Totally on brand for this football program.

Also, in the video on the NU website it mentions NU WLAX as well as football. Very interesting.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Architecturally, on the exterior it is much more honest (not pandering to the current trite trends in facade design) than Huntington Bank Stadium in the TC, although the concept in plan appears very similar. This a good thing.
Boy, do I disagree. I love everything else, but I hate the exterior. It reeks of corporate campus banality. Unremarkable. Uninspiring. Unimaginative Everything wrong with modern architecture. It will look out of date within 10 years.

Last edited:
Boy, do I disagree. I love everything else, but I hate the exterior. It reeks of corporate campus banality. Unremarkable. Uninspiring. Unimaginative Everything wrong with modern architecture. It will look out of date within 10 years.
Here's the issue, much architecture now is created on computers, as this is. It is basic, somewhat simplistic, but part of the evolution of architecture today, and honest about what it is. The best new stadium in the B1G currently is Huntington Bank Stadium in the TC, the exterior of which is at best average commercial architecture. In other words, fake, boring, and deadening.. Is that what you want? To be what it can never be, which would be a really expensive, highly detailed, superb design? You want towers? Fine, maybe they should have recreated San Gimignano, built 10 centuries ago. Do I think this is great? No, but I think it is good and appropriate. I have been VERY critical of northwestern Architecture in the past, but it has been improving.

Last edited:
Here's the issue, much architecture now is created on computers, as this is. It is basic, somewhat simplistic, but part of the evolution of architecture today, and honest about what it is The best new stadium in the B1G currently is Huntington Bank Stadium in the TC, the exterior of which is at best average commercial architecture. In other words, fake, boring, and deadening.. Is that what you want? To be what it can never be, which would be a really expensive, highly detailed, superb design? You want towers? Fine, maybe they should have recreated San Gimignano, built 10 centuries ago. Do I think this is great? No, but I think it is good and appropriate. I have been VERY critical of northwestern Architecture in the past, but it has been improving.

I consider this a ringing endorsement coming from @stpaulcat. I am pleasantly surprised. Appreciate your opinion on this.

Here's the issue, much architecture now is created on computers, as this is. It is basic, somewhat simplistic, but part of the evolution of architecture today, and honest about what it is. The best new stadium in the B1G currently is Huntington Bank Stadium in the TC, the exterior of which is at best average commercial architecture. In other words, fake, boring, and deadening.. Is that what you want? To be what it can never be, which would be a really expensive, highly detailed, superb design? You want towers? Fine, maybe they should have recreated San Gimignano, built 10 centuries ago. Do I think this is great? No, but I think it is good and appropriate. I have been VERY critical of northwestern Architecture in the past, but it has been improving.
The best new baseball stadiums are retro. I wanted a retro exterior. (Cue the Rolling Stones: You can’t always get what you want.)

Retro stadiums have anchors in tradition which lend staying power. I wanted architectural nods to Dyche Stadium with arches, towers, etc.

So many fads in architecture now appear downright ugly, Brutalism being the prime example. As a matter of fact, the new exterior reminds me of Brutalism.

I know my whining makes me seem unhappy. I'm not. I love the inside and much of what they are doing outside is outstanding.

Let me put it another way. Does this look like a football stadium where young men play a violent game? Or does it look like corporate headquarters where numerous factotums with well-manicured hands push around stacks of paper on mahogany tables?

I really think they should put in those Star Trek transporters so that the players can be quickly beamed from the practice facility to the stadium. Now that would be truly forward looking!

They make a point about it being the most bicycle friendly stadium. Wonder how many folks will be cycling to the games in November, beside @HungryJack......

• Haha
The best new baseball stadiums are retro. I wanted a retro exterior. (Cue the Rolling Stones: You can’t always get what you want.)

Retro stadiums have anchors in tradition which lend staying power. I wanted architectural nods to Dyche Stadium with arches, towers, etc.

So many fads in architecture now appear downright ugly, Brutalism being the prime example. As a matter of fact, the new exterior reminds me of Brutalism.

I know my whining makes me seem unhappy. I'm not. I love the inside and much of what they are doing outside is outstanding.
To be fair, there’s only one Camden Yards, and that’s 30 years old.

I know next to nothing about architecture, but I’m sure the lower profile helps with the ‘neighborhood friendly’ approach they’re promoting here. Ryan Field is off-campus, and literally towers over the neighborhood.

Counting down until the first B10 school publicly raises the notion that Big Ten member payouts should be tiered.
We're spending $800 million not $80 million on this project.

It'll be the nicest stadium in college football when done.

Reactions: ubercat
To be fair, there’s only one Camden Yards, and that’s 30 years old.
Exactly my point. It has stood the test of time.
(I find myself arguing with my favorite posters which may mean that I'm wrong. Nope, that can't be.) 😃

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT