ADVERTISEMENT

Standford QB grad transfer

No, this guy is NOT the answer for us. Stanford got a lot better after they sat him!

No, this guy is NOT the answer for us. Stanford got a lot better after they sat him!

I tend to agree that I’d want a better player/fit to make the risks of pursuing a grad transfer worth our while, but I am not certain that this guy wouldn’t be a more effective replacement for Thorson than the other QBs we currently have. Now, if Tommy Stevens from Penn State decides to leave as a grad transfer, I think we would be foolish to not pursue him.

I tend to agree that I’d want a better player/fit to make the risks of pursuing a grad transfer worth our while, but I am not certain that this guy wouldn’t be a more effective replacement for Thorson than the other QBs we currently have. Now, if Tommy Stevens from Penn State decides to leave as a grad transfer, I think we would be foolish to not pursue him.
I agree that the guy from Stanford would be bit of an improvement over current QB's on the roster not named Thorson, simply because of his experience. However Stevens would definitely be the better choice. Could Pen. St. block his move?

I agree that the guy from Stanford would be bit of an improvement over current QB's on the roster not named Thorson, simply because of his experience. However Stevens would definitely be the better choice. Could Pen. St. block his move?

They could try but Big Ten has power to overrule. They have done so for past in conference grad transfers. The trend seems to be moving toward players having more options, not less.

Miami has a QB going grad transfer route. Out of high school he had offers from Ivy's so I assume he would qualify

It depends what you consider experience. He has more snaps and stats and game time, but none of them in NU's system. Stanford runs a predominately pro-style/West Coast offense that is a lot different than NU's. He'd have a pretty steep learning curve and three months to learn it. Not that I expect NU to go the transfer route, anyway, but finding a grad transfer QB is a lot more complicated than just plug him in and go.

It depends what you consider experience. He has more snaps and stats and game time, but none of them in NU's system. Stanford runs a predominately pro-style/West Coast offense that is a lot different than NU's. He'd have a pretty steep learning curve and three months to learn it. Not that I expect NU to go the transfer route, anyway, but finding a grad transfer QB is a lot more complicated than just plug him in and go.
He's graduated from Stanford, right? So I would think he be a pretty quick learner and a "good fit" at NU. Also thinking that quite a few people would think NU should jump at that grad transfer from Pen. St..

He's graduated from Stanford, right? So I would think he be a pretty quick learner and a "good fit" at NU. Also thinking that quite a few people would think NU should jump at that grad transfer from Pen. St..

Will graduate from Stanford in June. A single fall camp is a pretty quick turn to learn and implement an entire offense, even if he is a "Stanford Man."

Stevens hasn't even announced an intent to transfer from Penn State. There's nothing to jump at.

If none of our current qbs are not better than Chryst, we are in trouble. Vs. San Diego State, he was 9-20 for 72 yds and 2 picks. And that's with a stellar run game that should have made it easier to throw.

Reactions: DaCat

He would not necessarily be a good fit. There are physical attributes athletes have that make them good or bad fits. Just because he was a Stanford does not make him a good fit as a sporting man (though it probably makes him a good - perhaps great - fit as an academic man).

If none of our current qbs are not better than Chryst, we are in trouble. Vs. San Diego State, he was 9-20 for 72 yds and 2 picks. And that's with a stellar run game that should have made it easier to throw.

That was an anomaly but I agree he is mediocre at best. Besides being a questionable system fit, his low completion percentage, yards per completion and TD/INT ratio scream mediocre. That being said, he has started against top flight competition and our guys have zero experience. I hope our guys have better potential but I wouldn’t bet on them being able to perform better than Chryst could next year. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: willycat
How about we give the 3 in the Program a chance? Barring them being totally a miss in our recruitment evaluation they should be our best shot. They shouldn’t need to put 350 in the air a game.

A grad transfer would be brought in to compete for the starting job, he wouldn’t be handed the job. Everybody would have a chance to compete.

They could try but Big Ten has power to overrule. They have done so for past in conference grad transfers. The trend seems to be moving toward players having more options, not less.
Thought that grad transfers were free to go wherever they wanted

There have been grad transfers within conference for basketball and football. The school has either blessed the transfer or the Big Ten has allowed it on appeal.

Reactions: aquacat
There have been grad transfers within conference for basketball and football. The school has either blessed the transfer or the Big Ten has allowed it on appeal.
This article says athletes can transfer within the conference but the rule is to sit out a year AND lose a year of eligibility unless a waiver is granted. Ferentz sounds pretty displeased that Ruddock transferred to a close rival.
https://www.google.com/amp/qctimes....b910e224-6bd2-533b-800e-73d3c7a1db50.amp.html

This article says athletes can transfer within the conference but the rule is to sit out a year AND lose a year of eligibility unless a waiver is granted. Ferentz sounds pretty displeased that Ruddock transferred to a close rival.

The rule referenced was put in place for non grad transfers. As the article states, Iowa provided a release and the Big Ten provided a waiver given his grad transfer status. There are other examples of this type of treatment for grad transfers within the conference. If Stevens decided to graduate and transfer within the conference for next season, it is likely that he would be immediately eligible to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT