ADVERTISEMENT

State PEN back in the News

18 beta's arrested and charged as one of their members dies and no one did any thing. Of course alcohol involved.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-hazing-death-was-no-accident-grand-jury-says

When will this university learn

Not sure it is the university's fault here. Could have happened anywhere.
At least when I was at NU, it did.

So, Beta is banned permanently. A bunch of them are being charged with involuntary manslaughter.

What else would you have the university authorities do?

So, Beta is banned permanently. A bunch of them are being charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Drop football, or at least get rid of the Paterno clan.

Reactions: phatcat
18 beta's arrested and charged as one of their members dies and no one did any thing. Of course alcohol involved.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-hazing-death-was-no-accident-grand-jury-says

When will this university learn

This is an inexcusable incident, but they're very far from only university that's had Greek organizations pull stuff like this? There are dozens of examples of deaths or injuries caused by idiotic hazing rituals, and alcohol-fuel adolescents don't usually make great decisions. The Sandusky incident was uniquely horrible. This, unfortunately, is not.

Reactions: Frabjous

Agree with this...Penn State is the unfortunate large land-grant university dealing with it at the moment, but could absolutely just as easily be any other Big Ten school, the only thing NU has going for it is a smaller population which makes these things only slightly easier to control.

I enjoyed my time in my fraternity, but I drank too much and am frankly amazed no one got seriously hurt. We had one guy who had a real drinking problem, and one night at a party he was sitting on the stair rail and fell over. Somehow he caught himself on the rail one floor down. Had he not, he might be a quadrapalegic today, or worse.

After that happened, a bunch of us sat him down and in no uncertain terms told him to control his drinking. He changed for a while but the party culture made it pretty hard for anyone to go on the wagon. A few brothers did at various times.

We hazed in ways that did not involve alcohol (OK, I was forced to drink a shot). It was actually somewhat constructive hazing, if there is such a thing. Mostly stuff about trust.

All that said, I would not want my son to live the alcohol-related experiences I had at NU. I remember waking up buck naked in my girlfriend's room in the middle of floor. She was naked on the bed, and her roommate was clothed laying in her bed. That was weird. I have very little recollection, unfortunately, of what happened after she and I left the Rock that night well oiled. I guess we had fun.

Somehow I survived four years at NU.

This is an inexcusable incident, but they're very far from only university that's had Greek organizations pull stuff like this? There are dozens of examples of deaths or injuries caused by idiotic hazing rituals, and alcohol-fuel adolescents don't usually make great decisions. The Sandusky incident was uniquely horrible. This, unfortunately, is not.
Even at NU from what I heard

Nonsense! My fraternity experience at NU was excellent, and several of my fraternity brothers remain good friends today over 50 years later. Maybe you joined the wrong fraternity? Of course, if you were not a fraternity member, how in the world would you be qualified to say that "Greek life sucks"

The only acceptable Greek houses are Lambda Lambda Lambda and Omega Mu. All others are terrible.

Reactions: SmellyCat
Although I wasn't Greek, I never had a bad time at an ATO tequila party (though for one I don't remember how I got home).

Agree with this...Penn State is the unfortunate large land-grant university dealing with it at the moment, but could absolutely just as easily be any other Big Ten school, the only thing NU has going for it is a smaller population which makes these things only slightly easier to control.
Iowa has had a recent death as well. As much as I dislike PSU this can happen anywhere.

The only acceptable Greek houses are Lambda Lambda Lambda and Omega Mu. All others are terrible.
What a buffoon! This is really all we need to know about you. Obviously you were not a member of a fraternity, and you know little about them. Being a fraternity member is a matter of personal choice, and I'm not critical of people who choose not to go Greek, but your comments are simply absurd.

Reactions: kawacko
Nonsense! My fraternity experience at NU was excellent, and several of my fraternity brothers remain good friends today over 50 years later. Maybe you joined the wrong fraternity? Of course, if you were not a fraternity member, how in the world would you be qualified to say that "Greek life sucks"
I agree whit my old rommie. We had great times and lots of long lasting friendships. The fraternity and my teammates were the center of my NU experience.

Reactions: RevCat
That's because Sandusky wasn't raping them while Joe watched.
dmn.gif

What a buffoon! This is really all we need to know about you. Obviously you were not a member of a fraternity, and you know little about them. Being a fraternity member is a matter of personal choice, and I'm not critical of people who choose not to go Greek, but your comments are simply absurd.

Spoken like a true Alpha Beta. Stan Gable would be proud.

Just letting you know that Lambda Lambda Lambda (the geeks) and Omegu Nu (the fat girls) are a fraternity and sorority in Revenge of the Nerds. It was sarcasm disguised through a pop culture reference.

Reactions: Noah121
Just letting you know that Lambda Lambda Lambda (the geeks) and Omegu Nu (the fat girls) are a fraternity and sorority in Revenge of the Nerds. It was sarcasm disguised through a pop culture reference.

^^^
Fake news.

chariots, thanks. The elderly like me and Cvercko, an NU All American, and one of my favorite fraternity roommates, are not very good at new age sarcasm. Fitz51, in my view, remains a mindless boob.

Reactions: Noah121
chariots, thanks. The elderly like me and Cvercko, an NU All American, and one of my favorite fraternity roommates, are not very good at new age sarcasm. Fitz51, in my view, remains a mindless boob.

Strong words, Mr. Palowaski. We'll see what happens when you end up on the island with us.

That's an unfavorable comparison. Boobs are beautiful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fitz51
While I would never argue that Greek life and beer parties aren't nearly synonymous, can we really pin this all on Greek life? Absolutely---hazing involving alcohol, drugs, hitting and other obvious stupidities must stop. But alcohol abuse is far from the sole domain of Greek life on campus.

NU's stance toward alcohol on campus changed dramatically during the 4 years I was there. That was the late 80s. Maybe the issue is more about Penn State's apparently lax approach to eliminating behaviors that NU addressed nearly thirty years ago.

I didn't think anyone missed that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT