ADVERTISEMENT

sure Garza had a dominating performance...

But we are playing FY and Sophs and they are basically a year older. That makes a huge difference in amount of minutes that they can play at a high level. That they are better at this point is natural but it is also true that the additional year usually helps with the ability to handle the minutes[/QUOTE]

Iowa started 1 JR, 2 SO's and 2 FY.

NU started 1 SR(5th year), 2 SO's and 2 FYs.

Are you telling me Iowa was a significantly older team? Not buying it.[/QUOTE]
So you are counting Spencer as a 5th year? That’s a leap from the experience argument.

Do it by minutes played coming into the season and I think it would tell a different story.

Reactions: Medill90
But we are playing FY and Sophs and they are basically a year older. That makes a huge difference in amount of minutes that they can play at a high level. That they are better at this point is natural but it is also true that the additional year usually helps with the ability to handle the minutes[/QUOTE]

And Iowa has one player who came back from injury. Even if not prolonged.

The argument of age can only be made from the perspective of being wiser managing how much gas you have in the tank.

Otherwise, younger people actually have faster recovery times. My 7 year old is surely ready to go very quickly. As a disclaimer, this is anecdotal. Bottom line, imo, does not really apply to NU vs. Iowa.

But we are playing FY and Sophs and they are basically a year older. That makes a huge difference in amount of minutes that they can play at a high level. That they are better at this point is natural but it is also true that the additional year usually helps with the ability to handle the minutes

So you are counting Spencer as a 5th year? That’s a leap from the experience argument.

Do it by minutes played coming into the season and I think it would tell a different story.[/QUOTE]

great point

just wanted to post....hats off to Garza....the young man has worked incredibly hard....he has a great motor and I'd argue his outlook is a bit different than some of previous Iowa upperclassmen....he seems to be dragging this team with him whether they want to be better or not

Reactions: Hungry Jack

He might lack experience in how to manage energy in a basketball game. Sure. But he is also a bona fide athlete with 4 years of playing at a very high level. I doubt many freshman have his energy

Do you realize Iowa only played 8 guys, same as NU (if you exclude the garbage time 2 minutes Tino played)? Their bench played 63 minutes, NU's bench 62. Why should they be less tired than NU? The only argument is that their 3 bench men are older than the 3 NU bench guys, although NU did have AJ (5th year SR) off the bench.

A better answer is NU just isn't as good as Iowa yet.

this is why most on this board assume next year should be a very competitive year. its obvious when you don't have 1 and done type kids that developmental kids are going to struggle and wear down and hit the wall as the year goes on. same pattern as bmacs soph year

Reactions: hdhntr1
just wanted to post....hats off to Garza....the young man has worked incredibly hard....he has a great motor and I'd argue his outlook is a bit different than some of previous Iowa upperclassmen....he seems to be dragging this team with him whether they want to be better or not
Garza gave a great answer about his motor and effort in the postgame interview (loosely): “that’s on the coaches — they’ve got me running harder than I’ve ever run.”

He’s pretty fun to watch.

Iowa fan here, but first time I've seen Northwestern for a full game this year. There are nice pieces in place, and I've seen some of the previous games where Buie (spelling?) played and he is good. I like Northwestern's future. But easy to say as an opponent.

As to this Iowa team, it has a different vibe than previous Iowa teams, even the 2015-16 version that got as high as 3rd in the polls. Not more talented than that team, but this team definitely is more connected/playing together. I have no idea what this team will end up doing, but they are fun to watch (from an Iowa fan's perspective). They share the ball and play hard.

Iowa fan here, but first time I've seen Northwestern for a full game this year. There are nice pieces in place, and I've seen some of the previous games where Buie (spelling?) played and he is good. I like Northwestern's future. But easy to say as an opponent.

As to this Iowa team, it has a different vibe than previous Iowa teams, even the 2015-16 version that got as high as 3rd in the polls. Not more talented than that team, but this team definitely is more connected/playing together. I have no idea what this team will end up doing, but they are fun to watch (from an Iowa fan's perspective). They share the ball and play hard.
Do you guys always shoot 50% from 3? Between Garza going beast mode inside and your skinny, buzz cut white guys draining those open looks, I felt pretty helpless for the Cats...

But we are playing FY and Sophs and they are basically a year older. That makes a huge difference in amount of minutes that they can play at a high level. That they are better at this point is natural but it is also true that the additional year usually helps with the ability to handle the minutes

And Iowa has one player who came back from injury. Even if not prolonged.

The argument of age can only be made from the perspective of being wiser managing how much gas you have in the tank.

Otherwise, younger people actually have faster recovery times. My 7 year old is surely ready to go very quickly. As a disclaimer, this is anecdotal. Bottom line, imo, does not really apply to NU vs. Iowa.[/QUOTE]
Sorry but I believe you would find that only Toussant is a Frosh or FY and he only played 16 minutes and they likely only started because Bohannon was missing and better to start him. He was about 7th in minutes with 16. And that is even with Bohannon not playing. Basically they were about a year older than we are.

He might lack experience in how to manage energy in a basketball game. Sure. But he is also a bona fide athlete with 4 years of playing at a very high level. I doubt many freshman have his energy
Not necessarily saying is is a Frosh but he is not a normal Sr either. This is his first year in competitive BB at this level and while he can pull some from his experience in Lacrosse, it basically relates to him being about a Soph.

We will be better next year (barring injuries) because our FYs and SYs will be a year older, Gaines coming back healthy and more important, we will have more of a complete roster than this year. This year is a give them experience year and we will reap benefits next year just as we did as every one gelled in the dance year. The following year is most likely as a Dance year as we start having upper classmen and the roster is complete with experience

Not necessarily saying is is a Frosh but he is not a normal Sr either. This is his first year in competitive BB at this level and while he can pull some from his experience in Lacrosse, it basically relates to him being about a Soph.

We will be better next year (barring injuries) because our FYs and SYs will be a year older, Gaines coming back healthy and more important, we will have more of a complete roster than this year. This year is a give them experience year and we will reap benefits next year just as we did as every one gelled in the dance year. The following year is most likely as a Dance year as we start having upper classmen and the roster is complete with experience
I count 8 guys coming back, that's if Gaines does and nobody leaves. They will add Audige, Berry and Nicholson, giving them a roster of 11. So will they add a couple more or again have unused roster spots. Who is still on their recruiting list?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT