ADVERTISEMENT

Tempering expectations a little

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Look, I didn't want people to think that I was trying to flaunt some special connection or deeper insight than anyone else, because Lord knows, that isn't the case. I did happen to be part of a conversation with a couple people, including someone who is extremely tied into the local hoops scene who basically said "don't be surprised" if something happens and that Chris Collins was, under everyone's radar, definitely getting into the ears of talent that will definitely turn heads and shock people (especially the Illini) if he ends up closing.

It was by no means a guarantee (as I clarified earlier) and if it happens, I deserve no credit for anything. If it doesn't then it doesn't. Nothing has changed since, and I don't have any additional information, but I thought it might be help to clarify things a bit.

Let's be clear. It is not Davidson or anyone else that is not from our home state. Collins knows that Chicagoland is the ripest field for hoops talent in the nation, and while he will spread his wings wide to scour the nation for the right fit, make no mistake. Chicagoland is clearly the #1 priority and it is absolutely the goal that we get to a place where we keep home anyone who comes out of Chicago who we want (and who can get admitted).

I do think that we may be a year away, if recruiting doesn't pop this year. The new arena renovation will be coming, and I do believe we have a breakthrough year on the way. I thought this article was worth sharing if anyone missed it because whether it happens this year or next, I do think we are due to get our "Mark Aguirre" and then after that anything can happen. Dare I say B1G championships and Final Fours? I dare.

Whoever the guy ends up being (and for all I know, he may already be in NU purple waiting to bust out, e.g. Law, Benson, Rap), when they do lead us not just on an NCAA run but deeper into the tourney than any of us imagined, and forever change the trajectory and NU basketball, it will remind all of us of 1995. Wheaties Boxes. Purple flags all over Chicago. This will be even bigger than our Rose Bowl run. Especially since this is a hoops town more than it is a football town (Chicago is to hoops what Texas and Florida are for football), and the Bulls are going to be down for the forseeable future. And the kids who make it happen for us are going to forever be Legends, not just for the Northwestern community, but for Chicagoland as well. This pitch is not mine. It's Collins's. And it's spot on and why we not only have a chance, but why we will land our Mark Aguirre. It's just a matter of who and when.

http://dailynorthwestern.com/2016/0...western-still-far-from-signing-big-local-star

Look, I didn't want people to think that I was trying to flaunt some special connection or deeper insight than anyone else, because Lord knows, that isn't the case. I did happen to be part of a conversation with a couple people, including someone who is extremely tied into the local hoops scene who basically said "don't be surprised" if something happens and that Chris Collins was, under everyone's radar, definitely getting into the ears of talent that will definitely turn heads and shock people (especially the Illini) if he ends up closing.

It was by no means a guarantee (as I clarified earlier) and if it happens, I deserve no credit for anything. If it doesn't then it doesn't. Nothing has changed since, and I don't have any additional information, but I thought it might be help to clarify things a bit.

Let's be clear. It is not Davidson or anyone else that is not from our home state. Collins knows that Chicagoland is the ripest field for hoops talent in the nation, and while he will spread his wings wide to scour the nation for the right fit, make no mistake. Chicagoland is clearly the #1 priority and it is absolutely the goal that we get to a place where we keep home anyone who comes out of Chicago who we want (and who can get admitted).

I do think that we may be a year away, if recruiting doesn't pop this year. The new arena renovation will be coming, and I do believe we have a breakthrough year on the way. I thought this article was worth sharing if anyone missed it because whether it happens this year or next, I do think we are due to get our "Mark Aguirre" and then after that anything can happen. Dare I say B1G championships and Final Fours? I dare.

Whoever the guy ends up being (and for all I know, he may already be in NU purple waiting to bust out, e.g. Law, Benson, Rap), when they do lead us not just on an NCAA run but deeper into the tourney than any of us imagined, and forever change the trajectory and NU basketball, it will remind all of us of 1995. Wheaties Boxes. Purple flags all over Chicago. This will be even bigger than our Rose Bowl run. Especially since this is a hoops town more than it is a football town (Chicago is to hoops what Texas and Florida are for football), and the Bulls are going to be down for the forseeable future. And the kids who make it happen for us are going to forever be Legends, not just for the Northwestern community, but for Chicagoland as well. This pitch is not mine. It's Collins's. And it's spot on and why we not only have a chance, but why we will land our Mark Aguirre. It's just a matter of who and when.

http://dailynorthwestern.com/2016/0...western-still-far-from-signing-big-local-star

Like your post, but don't know if I agree that Chicago is more a BB than a football town. The town rocks whenever the Bears are any good at all. The Bulls got big, but after all they did win six championships in the Jordan era. Probably the only thing that would ever be bigger is if the cursed Cubs finally won something. That said, the Chicago area and Illinois certainly have enough high school basketball talent to propel us to greater things if we can only land some of it. I hope the conversation you heard turns out to be an indicator. If not, we'll keeping hoping for an upward trajectory.

This will be even bigger than our Rose Bowl run.

Nothing short of winning the National Championship would be bigger for NU than the 1995 Barnett team. What he built starting with absolutely nothing was remarkable and unbelievable. The fact that most people believe it is only a matter of time before Collins is successful shows that whatever he accomplishes will pale in comparison to the miracle Barnett pulled off. I don't recall anyone thinking Pasadena in the early 90's except maybe Gary, and even he had his doubts.

Last edited:
If tomorrow's thread is "Relentlessly backtracking..." I'm going to feel like the coyote leveled under an ACME anvil.

Don't worry. I have nothing to backtrack on.

I've laid out all my cards out to see. There really isn't any magic here to delight and mesmerize. Just passing on some vibe.

It's like the new Pokémon game. Call it leaves rustling in the area. Is there actually a Pokémon to be caught?

In other words, this is just wishful thinking about our recruiting rather than real news about landing some superstar recruit. I already believe CCC will land some good recruits in the future. Now I'm waiting for the evidence. The clock is ticking.

The Daily Northwestern article needs some fact checking. Collins did not grow up in Northbrook in the late 70's. DePaul was a nationally ranked team and tournament team before Aguirre got there. Aguirre, Cummings, et al made DePaul the #1 regular season team in the country.

Oh, and DePaul stuck w Ray Meyer way beyond what could reasonable be expected.

The Daily Northwestern article needs some fact checking. Collins did not grow up in Northbrook in the late 70's. DePaul was a nationally ranked team and tournament team before Aguirre got there. Aguirre, Cummings, et al made DePaul the #1 regular season team in the country.

Oh, and DePaul stuck w Ray Meyer way beyond what could reasonable be expected.
The article states that CCC "grew up in Northbrook during the run", which he defines as starting with Aguirre but does not define and end point (which is probably 1992).

It's a defensible statement, though definitely not precise and would get him a solid C-minus in a proper journalism class. I'm ~5 years younger than CCC and I remember DePaul being good - I went to the Horizon for games and I saw them at least once in the NCAA tournament (research says it was likely 1987, when they went to the Sweet Sixteen as a #3).

The real factual error is defining a Belleville as a "Chicago prospect." Belleville is metro St.
Louis. (At least google it, dude.)

Uncle Tupelo is the greatest thing to come out of Belleville. Wilco is/was properly defined as a Chicago band. Son Volt was referred as a Chicago band by allmusic, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

I'd say landing Dave Corzine in 1974 and their success with him started that run before Aguirre was at DePaul.

Uncle Tupelo was excellent. It's more Appalachian coal mine & moonshine music than something I would expect to come out of Belleville.

I hope we land some big fish. Yes our schedule was soft last year but we did win 8 games in the big ten with two of our centers out due to stress fractures for much of the big ten season or they were 50% during it and a true freshmen at center. Every team has their injuries but this showed the meddle of this group. I would think recruits would see that and want to join up. I also think this year will surprise us and would not be surprised if Pardon turns into a stud at center and one of the true freshmen exceed expectations. My bet would be Ivanauskas

I hope we land some big fish. Yes our schedule was soft last year but we did win 8 games in the big ten with two of our centers out due to stress fractures for much of the big ten season or they were 50% during it and a true freshmen at center. Every team has their injuries but this showed the meddle of this group. I would think recruits would see that and want to join up. I also think this year will surprise us and would not be surprised if Pardon turns into a stud at center and one of the true freshmen exceed expectations. My bet would be Ivanauskas

I think the expecations for Ivanauskas are the lowest for the three right of the bat. He's the typical skinny big kid with potential who you expect to show up and work for two years before he gets the weight on his frame to play big minutes. I was told by a kid who played him before he transferred and said the book on him was you could take him out of a game by being physical with him. He was playing against top 100 forwards everyday in practice for the last year so my guess is he improved his physical play. We will see.

Last edited:
I don't think the expecations for Ivanauskas are the lowest for the three right of the bat. He's the typical skinny big kid with potential who you expect to show up and work for two years before he gets the weight on his frame to play big minutes. I was told by a kid who played him before he transferred and said the book on him was you could take him out of a game by being physical with him. He was playing against top 100 forwards everyday in practice for the last year so my guess is he improved his physical play. We will see.

Max

Not clear if you're agreeing or disagreeing with Cat Crazy.

I think Rap will contribute his freshman year. It would be great if he could push Falzon for minutes. He's a legit 6' 9" and has added muscle in the last year. More of a mid-range and in-the-paint crafty player than stand from distance and shoot. When slashes to the basket fail and shooters are covered he'll get the pass and convert from mid range.

Collins will temper what the staff says about the freshmen. They put a lot of pressure on Law which didn't help and they're not going to make that mistake again.

^ Yeah, wouldn't undersell Rap - he's supposedly up to 210 lbs which is a good bit more than what Law came in at as a frosh (185 lbs).

There have been a good # of B1G forwards who have caused major damage playing at around 220 lbs.

While a couple of inches shorter, Swop was a beast playing the 4 at 210 lbs.

Shurna was listed at 195 lbs as a recruit.

4-5 months w/ the weight/training program should easily have Rap up to 215 lbs or so, but more important than weight gain is his strength (is Rap one of those stringy but strong types?).

For all the frosh, their biggest issue will be not being a complete liability on D.

Uncle Tupelo was excellent. It's more Appalachian coal mine & moonshine music than something I would expect to come out of Belleville.

I like 'heavy' Uncle Tupelo more than moonshine Uncle Tupelo.

Their best split the difference - "Screen Door" and "D Boon".

Just reading lyrics now, "D Boon" has a callback to a specific Minutemen lyric - "Me and Mike Watt, playing guitars," which closes "History Lesson, Part II." In "D Boon," their tribute to the Minutemen, closing the second verse, "it's just me and Jay, playing our guitars along with it all." Pretty badass stuff.

(Belleville gets a mention at about 0:20. Conan's first season.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I like the "Moonshine" Uncle Tupelo.

"Sandusky" captures the feel of where I lived in the Alleghany Mountains of western Maryland. It was definitely moonshine country. Here's an interesting accompanying video that reminds me of the freedom of bicycle touring. I've yet to hop a train, though I thought of doing it when I was younger. Really no need for it now if I have a bicycle, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT