ADVERTISEMENT

that was painful

asherg

Dec 3, 2003
What do people normally do on Memorial Day Sunday? I forgot. I've been occupied the past eight years.

Yeah, I think the dynasty is over. The game has caught up with us. To Kelly Amonte Hiller's great credit, she transformed women's lacrosse. But now the others have made the adjustments. It will now require her to make some adjustments and it will be exciting to see what she comes up with.

I don't think it's over by a long shot. If #3 and #8 stay healthy, we're a much better attacking team. We don't rebuild. We reload.

Still had great year... Still elite program in a very quick growing sport. KAH can keep the dynasty going but won't be able to string championships together every year... but hopefully a few more to come in her career.

Yeah, they really sucked this year. I mean only making it to the final 4. Having 3 losses to top teams. Only beating a handful of ranked teams. I really hope our basketball team doesn't lose in the final 4 round. That would be really embarrassing for the program.

Oh, and if you can't tell (SARCASM ALERT)

Can someone explain to me how the hell you play the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP on a shortened field? How typical is this and why is it necessary? Clearly they had the room and the time to lay do markings wherever they want.

No idea how old this is:

An acceptable range is for goals to face each other at a distance no
greater than 100 yards and no less than 90 yards apart. The field area
behind each goal is only 10 yards for the women as opposed 15 yards for
the men. For new field construction, the NCAA has announced that optimal
field dimensions for women's lacrosse are 120 yards wide, with goals
100 yards apart and a width of 65 yards across.

Originally posted by DocCatsFan:
Yeah, I think the dynasty is over. The game has caught up with us. To Kelly Amonte Hiller's great credit, she transformed women's lacrosse. But now the others have made the adjustments. It will now require her to make some adjustments and it will be exciting to see what she comes up with.
Doc, you've said that at least twice this season. Is the "dynasty" over at Maryland, too? It may not be a dynasty in the strictest sense of the word, but in college sports, is it ever? Every few years the entire team changes. Is this the same NU team that won it last year? We had injuries, we were breaking in a new goalkeeper, and we were missing a huge scoring threat that we had for, oh, four previous years. If we win it all next year or in 2015, is that a new dynasty or a continuation? We're among the elites and a force every year. Our ladies are Duke men's basketball as far as I'm concerned. Could care less about a "dynasty" in college sports.

I agree the game should have been played on a more "normal" field. Couldn't watch Friday, but watching the championship game it appeared that the right had corner of the field was right on the edge of the running track, and making the field longer would have put it onto the running track, so it seems as if there was a physical constraint.

Having said that, the announcers were commenting several times that the restraining line was too close to the circle for draws because of the short field. There was a very simple solution to that - the restraining line could be the 35 yard line for field play, but the 30 yard line for draws. I've seen this done in high school games. Why that was not incorporated into the NCAA games is beyond me.

...and probably why 'Nova got a one year contract instead of the typical two?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT