ADVERTISEMENT

The bad news

Secho99

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Well, all of it is bad.

But, our previous worst loss in the KenPom era (since 98-99) was to #243 Hartford in 2019-20. Chicago State was #335 coming into this game and just lost by 16 to St. Thomas on Sunday. So this is officially our worst loss in at least 25 years. I remember when we had an embarrassing loss to Mississippi Valley State 20 years ago and even that was a *much* better loss than this one (they went 22-7 that year and finished #168).

I guess the good news is Iowa had a worse loss last year (to #347 Eastern Illinois) and still made the tournament.

This will be overlooked if we have good wins as the season goes on, but if we're in that "last 4 in/out" range this one won't help us get the benefit of the doubt.

Well, all of it is bad.

But, our previous worst loss in the KenPom era (since 98-99) was to #243 Hartford in 2019-20. Chicago State was #335 coming into this game and just lost by 16 to St. Thomas on Sunday. So this is officially our worst loss in at least 25 years. I remember when we had an embarrassing loss to Mississippi Valley State 20 years ago and even that was a *much* better loss than this one (they went 22-7 that year and finished #168).

I guess the good news is Iowa had a worse loss last year (to #347 Eastern Illinois) and still made the tournament.

This will be overlooked if we have good wins as the season goes on, but if we're in that "last 4 in/out" range this one won't help us get the benefit of the doubt.
Didn't feel like a fluke, either. Felt like Chicago State came up with a risky plan (no size), simple offense (five out, drive to the rim), and Collins had no effective way to counter with the NU's strengths. Nicholson was unplayable, and Berry had another one of his Hyde games.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT