ADVERTISEMENT

The departed

Beran's VT team advances, despite him scoring 0 points for the 2nd game in a row. 6 boards, 1 assist, 1 block and 1 steal in 22 minutes. They'll face OSU next.
I kept zapping through the Virginia stinker, MN @ Butler and the VA Tech game. Man, it is stunning how little Beran is interested in participating in attacking the basket. Nothing, man turns the triple threat into a single threat every occasional time he touches the ball

• Haha
Reactions: CappyNU
I kept zapping through the Virginia stinker, MN @ Butler and the VA Tech game. Man, it is stunning how little Beran is interested in participating in attacking the basket. Nothing, man turns the triple threat into a single threat every occasional time he touches the ball
After 151 games, he is who he is at this point. His coach seems to value what he brings given that he's started 28 games and gets 22-24mpg, but yeah, his game is pretty set in stone. 2 threes taken or fewer in 21 of 33 games, 4 boards per game, 1 block per game, 1 steal every other game, 1 assist per game, 1 turnover per game.

After 151 games, he is who he is at this point. His coach seems to value what he brings given that he's started 28 games and gets 22-24mpg, but yeah, his game is pretty set in stone. 2 threes taken or fewer in 21 of 33 games, 4 boards per game, 1 block per game, 1 steal every other game, 1 assist per game, 1 turnover per game.
It’s disappointing because you can see the ceiling just watching his game. It doesn’t even feel like a skill or work ethic gap. Like he has flashed the ability to put the ball on the floor and he has a nice jump shot. He’s shown good-great defense at times. It’s just never fit together for him. He’s a really good help defender and has the ability to generate some blocks. You would hope that he could use his height and athleticism to cause mismatches on the offensive end instead of being a tall spot up shooter. His game just never fully materialized.

Ask yourself this: would you feel better with Beran or Preston on Friday?

I’d say Beran, but maybe Preston will surprise.

I’d rather have both!

Reactions: EvanstonCat
It’s disappointing because you can see the ceiling just watching his game. It doesn’t even feel like a skill or work ethic gap. Like he has flashed the ability to put the ball on the floor and he has a nice jump shot. He’s shown good-great defense at times. It’s just never fit together for him. He’s a really good help defender and has the ability to generate some blocks. You would hope that he could use his height and athleticism to cause mismatches on the offensive end instead of being a tall spot up shooter. His game just never fully materialized.
He is a solid defender who helped us last season and is helping VT this season.

I think OSU will wreck them, but how awesome would it be if Beran goes off for 5 3’s?

He is a solid defender who helped us last season and is helping VT this season.

I think OSU will wreck them, but how awesome would it be if Beran goes off for 5 3’s?
Considering his career-high is 4 3s, that would be the equivalent of the Aaron Falzon game against IU.

Considering his career-high is 4 3s, that would be the equivalent of the Aaron Falzon game against IU.
Scoring totals from Beran’s first 7 conference games:
7 in 18 minutes, 12/8/19 Purdue
2 in 11 minutes, 12/18 v MSU
9 in 34 minutes, 1/5/20 at Minnesota
8 in 29, 1/8 at Indiana
10 in 27, 1/11 v Nebraska (the only NU win)
9 in 28, 1/14 v Iowa

and
“The Beran Game”
17 in 30, 1/18 at Illinois (75-71 loss)

For whatever reason, he hit exactly 8 points in two games the rest of that season, never more. Without looking, that 5-game stretch as a freshman was definitely the highest-scoring stretch of his career.

17 points was his career high in-conference.

He hit 20 and 19 v Chicago State, and 19 against Prairie View.

The best part of every broadcast was when the wise color guy looked at the lanky starter with decent shooting stats, and picked him as the game’s breakout player. And then he was quiet, again and again and again.

One of the weirdest players ever at NU.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatoLouco
Scoring totals from Beran’s first 7 conference games:
7 in 18 minutes, 12/8/19 Purdue
2 in 11 minutes, 12/18 v MSU
9 in 34 minutes, 1/5/20 at Minnesota
8 in 29, 1/8 at Indiana
10 in 27, 1/11 v Nebraska (the only NU win)
9 in 28, 1/14 v Iowa

and
“The Beran Game”
17 in 30, 1/18 at Illinois (75-71 loss)

For whatever reason, he hit exactly 8 points in two games the rest of that season, never more. Without looking, that 5-game stretch as a freshman was definitely the highest-scoring stretch of his career.

17 points was his career high in-conference.

He hit 20 and 19 v Chicago State, and 19 against Prairie View.

The best part of every broadcast was when the wise color guy looked at the lanky starter with decent shooting stats, and picked this as his breakout. And then he was quiet, again and again and again.

One of the weirdest players ever at NU.
Never developed a pull-up jumper, which would have helped him out a lot. If he faked the 3, his only option was to drive hard to the basket. He had no deception in his game and after getting more than half of his shots at the rim blocked, he gave up and only took 3’s. And he was a bad offensive rebounder, which would have been the other way he could have contributed. I thought he was a good defender his senior year, though. Being a 4-star certainly contributed to the disappointment. This board tends to be more forgiving of scrappy underdogs.

Reactions: drewjin
Joe Bamisile had 17 points to lead VCU to a win at Villanova in the NIT.
It’s pretty sad to see a kid wind up transferring so many times. Bamisile is on four schools in four years, and has a fifth left. Va Tech, George Washington, Oklahoma, VCU. Never knew what he wanted, but knew that he wasn’t satisfied with his current situation.

There’s a near-zero chance that he graduates, and he’ll never really have a place he can go back to, a place that really shaped him.

By contrast, look at Berry and Nicholson. They’ve made history. They’re totally beloved. They’ll be in town for anniversary celebrations in a decade and, if they can make it, for the celebration when somebody breaks Boo’s record or when Dave Eanet retires. They’ll get to give mediocre pregame or post-practice chats, or just be an ear when some under-recruited young ‘un is struggling during a redshirt season.

I don’t recall whether Berry ‘took’ Bamisile’s slot, but it worked out great.

What a program!

Go Cats Go Cats Go

Interesting article in the NYT Sports Wednesday about the emerging popularity df the women's game saying that the women stars stay for four years and thus fans get to know them and follow them whereas now many of the men's teams have become somewhat itinerant with players changing uniforms all the time.

Reactions: NUCat320
It’s pretty sad to see a kid wind up transferring so many times. Bamisile is on four schools in four years, and has a fifth left. Va Tech, George Washington, Oklahoma, VCU. Never knew what he wanted, but knew that he wasn’t satisfied with his current situation.

There’s a near-zero chance that he graduates, and he’ll never really have a place he can go back to, a place that really shaped him.

By contrast, look at Berry and Nicholson. They’ve made history. They’re totally beloved. They’ll be in town for anniversary celebrations in a decade and, if they can make it, for the celebration when somebody breaks Boo’s record or when Dave Eanet retires. They’ll get to give mediocre pregame or post-practice chats, or just be an ear when some under-recruited young ‘un is struggling during a redshirt season.

I don’t recall whether Berry ‘took’ Bamisile’s slot, but it worked out great.

What a program!

Go Cats Go Cats Go
As in life, sometimes when you give people the power over their own choices… they don’t make good ones or they don’t work out. All any of us can ever truly ask for is the chance to decide for ourselves.

Has it already been discussed here that Jordan Lathon is going up against the state school today?

Just put on the Yale game. Simmons is playing. Haven’t seen him do much, but you have to respect that hair.

Simmons played briefly. Enough to commit a dumb foul against a three point shooter. Didn't see him after that.

Pete speaks! Go Cats!

(Never any bitterness towards Pete or Young from me. Dudes got their degrees and went for something different, and bigger. Pete turned out to be wrong, but that’s okay.)

(Also, their departures are the reason Boo became Boo. He had the freedom to operate that he wouldn’t have with those two olds still on the roster.)

Pete speaks! Go Cats!

(Never any bitterness towards Pete or Young from me. Dudes got their degrees and went for something different, and bigger. Pete turned out to be wrong, but that’s okay.)

(Also, their departures are the reason Boo became Boo. He had the freedom to operate that he wouldn’t have with those two olds still on the roster.)
No surprise here. The Nance family has always seemed very classy.

Ask yourself this: would you feel better with Beran or Preston on Friday?

I’d say Beran, but maybe Preston will surprise.

I’d rather have both!
In the tournament you need to play hard and battle on the boards. Thats not Beran. Preston is (maybe) less skilled offensively, but is tougher.

Beran ends his career being shut out in three straight games as his Hokies go down to OSU tonight in the NIT. In his final 11 games, he shot 6-23 from 3, with all 6 makes coming in just 2 of the 11 games.

Jordan Lathon ended his career on Thursday at the hands of the Illini.

Tomorrow Ryan Young will once again be in the same building with the 'Cats, perhaps we can throw a Nicholson jersey on him and no one will be the wiser.

Casey Simmons' Yale team will be looking to spring another upset over SDSU for the chance to face the 'Cats in Boston.

Joe Bamisile's VCU has another NIT game at South Florida.

Beran ends his career being shut out in three straight games as his Hokies go down to OSU tonight in the NIT. In his final 11 games, he shot 6-23 from 3, with all 6 makes coming in just 2 of the 11 games.

Jordan Lathon ended his career on Thursday at the hands of the Illini.

Tomorrow Ryan Young will once again be in the same building with the 'Cats, perhaps we can throw a Nicholson jersey on him and no one will be the wiser.

Casey Simmons' Yale team will be looking to spring another upset over SDSU for the chance to face the 'Cats in Boston.

Joe Bamisile's VCU has another NIT game at South Florida.
I like the Young to Nicholson plan. Let’s get Dr Gragg on it.

Is Duke implicitly blaming the loss on Ryan Young? I think so.

Congrats to Ryan on a great career, and having way more impact on Duke than I could have ever imagined when the transfer was announced. I expected his Duke career to consist of home fans begging him to take a three when he finally hit the court in blowouts.

NU degree in hand, he’s A Good Wildcat.

And so the seasons of all the departed come to a close yesterday with Duke being the latest victim of the NC State magical run of destiny.

Beran, Young, and Lathon have all exhausted their eligibility. Joe Bamisile and Jared Coleman-Jones theoretically have one season remaining should they choose to use it. Roper also has one more season left and Casey Simmons has two remaining. Brumbaugh theoretically has 3 years remaining depending on how many schools he elects to attend.

Obviously it remains to be seen how many, if any, will transfer from our team. I'm hoping the trend of productive players transferring out is coming to a close and it will simply be the players who weren't good enough to receive playing time but could succeed at a lower level. Also hoping we don't end up with any more decommits late in the recruiting process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT