ADVERTISEMENT

The Mismanagement of Hunter Johnson

Dude. Are you kidding?

So Coach Mike’s formula to win, after being down 14-3 at the half, would have been to play Aiden Smith SOONER?
Uh, like I said, a minor quibble.. We would have still lost the game, so a moot point. Now show me in detail all of the Coaching mistakes that cost us this game, as I posted in detail 6 monumental player mistakea that had nothing to do with coaching in detail

I know. That's why he deserves to be called out for the fraud he truly is.
Sounds good, but ro me you just encourage the activity. If no one responded and a the posters just reported it to the mods instead, the posts would be deleted and the poster banned.

This is both a player issue and a coaching issue. Players have regular breakdowns on O and Coaching is stale beyond belief. I refuse to believe we are “so out-talented” in our games this year. Only OSU has a clear advantage. Development is an issue at some positions. We shouldn’t be conceding before we even enter the 4th quarter against MSU.

Reactions: IGNORE
Uh, like I said, a minor quibble.. We would have still lost the game, so a moot point. Now show me in detail all of the Coaching mistakes that cost us this game, as I posted in detail 6 monumental player mistakea that had nothing to do with coaching in detail

It’s never the coaches fault. It’s always the players.

Sounds good, but ro me you just encourage the activity. If no one responded and a the posters just reported it to the mods instead, the posts would be deleted and the poster banned.

Are you serious with this BS? I am a paying member who would like to share his opinion after a poorly coached game. After an embarrassment. And that makes me a troll? Anyone who doesn’t subscribe to the “McCall and coaches are geniuses” thesis is a troll?

You are probably right. It's a waste of time.

Reactions: mikewebb68
There is so much wrong with this post I don’t know where to start. The coaches lost this game by not having these guys ready to play. That’s the bottom line. The okay calling ducked also.

And if you think the defense is the big problem, we watched different games. The d wasn’t great but the offense was putrid
Gpt it. So the players beat no responsibility for that loss? I posted 6 monumental player mistakes that had very little to do with coaching or prep, and that took me all of a minite. . Can you be specific about HOW the coaches didn't prepare us for the game and how that manifested itself on the field in specific plays? I am eager to learn! Our vaunted defense allowed MSU to drive into the wind and score the only points into the wind all day save for Charlie's amazing FG, putting us in a hole right off the bat, and allowed MSU to score on 5 (should have been 6) of its first 9 drive despite not being on the field a ton, so I would love any clarifications about the defense not playing poorly yesterday as well.

Last edited:
You are probably right. It's a waste of time.
Yup. If you can support my post on the Rock, I would appreciate it!. He's already trolling me there as well, so at least he's a paid subscriber! So that narrows it down..Its a burner accojnt created in 2014 that just started posting yesterday, so it should be easy for the mods to fugire out which poster it is (I have a good idea)I won't be responding to any of the poster's posts directly, and I encourage pthers to do the same. I think we can do more as posters to help the mods and discourage such activoty and encourage more positive debate. Thanks to all in advance!

Last edited:
Gpt it. Sp the players beat no responsibility for that loss? I posted 6 monumental player mistakes that had very little to do with coaching or prep, and that took me all of a minite. . Can you be specific about HOW the coaches didn't prepare us for the game and how that manifested itself on the field in specific plays? I am eager to learn! Our vaunted defense allowed MSU to drive into the wind and score the only points into the wind all day save for Charlie's amazing FG, putting us in a hole right off the bat, and allowed MSU to score on 5 (should have been 6) of its first 9 drive despite not being on the field a ton, so I would love any clarifications about the defense not playing poorly yesterday as well.
How can you spin this as a Defensive problem? I agree with you, that the D was not great yesterday. MSU went right down the field the first drive of the day. All too familiar. However, the O is so inept, the game felt in jeopardy before we even took a snap. Please explain any one element of NU’s offense that MSU wasn’t prepared for? Please explain anything we tried to do on O after it became painfully obvious our initial game plan was failing.

I am tired of the players getting blamed for all that ails this O. Every year is the same story. We have had NFL players in this O, there is talent. How about we develop more than a few 3 star players we recruit into all B1G players? My fear is we are going down a path to waste the most talented QB recruit we have ever got. We won’t get a second chance. Somehow, people will blame the player.

How can you spin this as a Defensive problem? I agree with you, that the D was not great yesterday. MSU went right down the field the first drive of the day. All too familiar. However, the O is so inept, the game felt in jeopardy before we even took a snap. Please explain any one element of NU’s offense that MSU wasn’t prepared for? Please explain anything we tried to do on O after it became painfully obvious our initial game plan was failing.

I am tired of the players getting blamed for all that ails this O. Every year is the same story. We have had NFL players in this O, there is talent. How about we develop more than a few 3 star players we recruit into all B1G players? My fear is we are going down a path to waste the most talented QB recruit we have ever got. We won’t get a second chance. Somehow, people will blame the player.
Will get back to you after the rewarch with specifics. Do recally us having just 44 yards less in the 1st half than MSU and rushing on them more in the first half than they typically allow per game...

Do you know how easy it is for a young QB to turn the ball over passing the ball in such a compressed space? The play action pass is actually the obvious play call in that situation and it doesn't slow down the pass rush at all when you call it on the goal line. It's obvious to me that they felt that repeatedly trying to pound the ball in was the higher probability play than trusting their QB to not make a mistake in that situation. Even with a bad OL, If they execute correctly for one play and hold their blocks for just a second or two, a decent RB with momentum should be able to fall forward for a yard or two. A team that can't execute that type of goal line play for at least a yard, does not deserve to win.
You're right. It was a dumb idea. I don't know why I thought I'd seen that play work hundreds of times for good and bad teams.

Reactions: IGNORE and NUCat320
How can you spin this as a
Yup. If you can support my post on the Rock, I would appreciate it!. He's already trolling me there as well, so at least he's a paid subscriber! So that narrows it down..Its a burner accojnt created in 2014 that just started posting yesterday, so it should be easy for the mods to fugire out which poster it is (I have a good idea)I won't be responding to any of the poster's posts directly, and I encourage pthers to do the same. I think we can do more as posters to help the mods and discourage such activoty and encourage more positive debate. Thanks to all in advance!

Not a surprising post from a knowitall like yourself, just littered with falsehoods.

But you still stand by your assertion that your answer to the first-half issues would have been to bench our starting QB sooner?

To me, that is insane.

Lol. You seem to be of the viewpoint “we can’t block or we would have won.” Maybe, just maybe, a good OC would say “hey, we can’t block, let’s try something different than run it with a goal line set.”

And HJ didn’t chance the momentum of the game. Being unable to score from the 1 yard line did. We lost the game there. Lets not get cute.

And who teaches blocking technique? Who creates schemes to highlight our strengths and disguise our weaknesses? Who picks which players to pursue?

LOL, what a genius. Why don't you go find the section of the playbook that has the plays that should be called when your OL can't block. Get back to me when you find it. Troll.

Until the coaches write one, he can’t.

What a tool.

I’m not even going to bother. This team looks completely unprepared for these games. That Stanford loss is already looking like a really bad loss.

As
For yesterday’s game, I had zero faith that we would score
More than 14 points. The only chance for a win would be if the defense just played lights out and something fluky happened (neither occurred). How many more years of we’ll below average offensive production do you need to see before you will blame the coaching?

I think Fitz is a great coach because his track record at NU speaks for itself. Everyone, outside of some delusional no nothing curmudgeon NU fans, realizes that Fitz is one of the best coaches in college football and how remarkable his track record at NU really is. You are the outlier.

The knee pads are thick on this one.

Tool.

Like I said Troll, let me know when you find the section of the playbook that contains the TD plays which you call when your OL is blocking like a turnstile. I'll be waiting.

Let’s us know when the coaches write one.

Total PKK tool.

No one has come up with a playbook that works for a bad OL. Line play is by far the most important factor in the outcome of a football game. If your OL can't block, you can't accurately evaluate if your QB is any good, if your RB can run, if your WRs can play or if your OC can call a game.

Aren't you the one who said we played Colter and ran the option because of how bad our OL used to be? Well, WTF? Why don't we do that now? HJ is a very good runner, and he's 100X the passer Colter was.

I don't know why you are so patient with McCall. It took you a decade to realize Cushing was a problem. Maybe you're just slow?

And who teaches blocking technique? Who creates schemes to highlight our strengths and disguise our weaknesses? Who picks which players to pursue?

In order, OL coach, offensive coordinator, and the entire staff.

What's convenient for Monday Morning QBs like you is to criticize the play calling with the benefit of hindsight. Like I said Troll, I am still waiting to hear the brilliant play call you would have used from the section of the play book which contains the TD plays you call when your OL isn't blocking anyone. My limited football experience and knowledge has taught me there aren't any plays that work when your OL is functioning as a turnstile.

Then the coaches should be paid like you, me, any other Joe Schmoe since they have no special talents. Can write unique plays, can’t develop schemes to highlight strengths and hide weaknesses, can identify and recruit talent, can’t develop talent, etc.

Basically, a glorified group of babysitters without original thoughts in their heads.

Why not? If we were up by 21 you know they would have tried. This thinking makes no sense whatsoever. We have been down many times and come back. Winners never, never, never quit...

We're not really winners right now. Certainly not on offense.

Aren't you the one who said we played Colter and ran the option because of how bad our OL used to be? Well, WTF? Why don't we do that now? HJ is a very good runner, and he's 100X the passer Colter was.

I don't know why you are so patient with McCall. It took you a decade to realize Cushing was a problem. Maybe you're just slow?

Would love to. We don't have the personnel to do that and in my opinion that is a legitimate criticism of Fitz and McCall. This offense works best with a true dual threat and yet we have not recruited one of those QBs since Colter.

We went hard after Jason Whitaker and took his commitment early on in the process only to deem a year later that the team would be better served to move him to TE despite a lackluster depth chart at QB. We took a commitment from Whitaker only days after we extended an offer to a true dual threat prospect, Berkeley Holoman's St. John Bosco teammate, Re-Al Mitchell. Had we waited for Mitchell to visit NU, I think he would be a CAT today and my guess is that he would be starting for us right now. That was a HUGE recruiting mistake by McCall and Fitz.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ana-monroe-cyclones-matt-campbell/2400607001/

Sorry Mike, but the poster has done nothing wrong. Corbi started the name calling and that guy rose above it. Corbi would be the one to boot. PKK drunkenness shouldn’t create special privileges.

Whether you agree or not with about half the Board, the discussion is valid. There is no right or wrong - it is ALL opinion.

If you want a PKK Pitt party and pass out participation trophies, head over to the rock. Mods won’t start tossing contributors less they want to drive down traffic, with it ad money and then lose their stipends.

The good news is IGNORE is your friend, no one forces you to read the free board and you, the tool formerly known as corbi and Jane are all rock members. Go hang out and commend the hard work and efforts of the coaches over there.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Hey bro, it's Sunday morning. And the question stands. Why quit on Hunter? Give him a chance to lead a comeback. Did you see UCLA and Washington State last night. This is College Football.
Giving up sucks.
They gave up. That sucks.

Anderson and Skowronek were still playing. It would suck for them to get hurt too. Hunter should’ve played because 1) Hunter hasn’t played much, and 2) Hunter hasn’t played much and 3) Hunter hasn’t played much and 4) Giving up sucks.

Do you know how easy it is for a young QB to turn the ball over passing the ball in such a compressed space? The play action pass is actually the obvious play call in that situation and it doesn't slow down the pass rush at all when you call it on the goal line. It's obvious to me that they felt that repeatedly trying to pound the ball in was the higher probability play than trusting their QB to not make a mistake in that situation. Even with a bad OL, If they execute correctly for one play and hold their blocks for just a second or two, a decent RB with momentum should be able to fall forward for a yard or two. A team that can't execute that type of goal line play for at least a yard, does not deserve to win.

How easy is it to turn the ball over on 4th down?

CALLING ALL POSTERS NOY DRUNK ON PKK - show Playstrong some love and like his posts.

Hey Mike - good luck with your ban. Maybe you and corbi should get a room. A safe space.

Would love to. We don't have the personnel to do that and in my opinion that is a legitimate criticism of Fitz and McCall. This offense works best with a true dual threat and yet we have not recruited one of those QBs since Colter.

We went hard after Jason Whitaker and took his commitment early on in the process only to deem a year later that the team would be better served to move him to TE despite a lackluster depth chart at QB. We took a commitment from Whitaker only days after we extended an offer to a true dual threat prospect, Berkeley Holoman's St. John Bosco teammate, Re-Al Mitchell. Had we waited for Mitchell to visit NU, I think he would be a CAT today and my guess is that he would be starting for us right now. That was a HUGE recruiting mistake by McCall and Fitz.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ana-monroe-cyclones-matt-campbell/2400607001/

Hunter Johnson is not a dual threat? You've got to be kidding me.

And you seem attached this to this notion that Kain Colter was a dual-threat. He was a good runner (and would have been a great pass catcher). He most certainly was not a dual-threat.

Hunter Johnson is not a dual threat? You've got to be kidding me.

And you seem attached this to this notion that Kain Colter was a dual-threat. He was a good runner (and would have been a great pass catcher). He most certainly was not a dual-threat.

No he is not. He can run the ball enough to keep a defense honest but he is not elusive enough to be a constant running threat in the read option. He would take so many hard hits that he would be in the ICU within a matter of weeks. The fact that you can’t see that is par for the course for you.

Last edited:
Then the coaches should be paid like you, me, any other Joe Schmoe since they have no special talents. Can write unique plays, can’t develop schemes to highlight strengths and hide weaknesses, can identify and recruit talent, can’t develop talent, etc.

Basically, a glorified group of babysitters without original thoughts in their heads.

Well you’re apparently killing it based on all your boasting, so maybe that would be a step up for the coaches.

Hey bro, it's Sunday morning. And the question stands. Why quit on Hunter? Give him a chance to lead a comeback. Did you see UCLA and Washington State last night. This is College Football.

Playing semantics. Nice.

Well you’re apparently killing it based on all your boasting, so maybe that would be a step up for the coaches.

Lol. Doing better that assistant coaches, not making HC money this year.

But I meant they should be paid the same as they would pay you or me. Either one of us can recruit players through 247, use somebody else’s playbook, not develop players and get patted on the back for focusing on babysitting - no criminal trouble and everyone graduates and gets a participation trophy.

Actually, I would suck at that. I hate every part of what I wrote. I would use every resource available to win. I would not retain poor performing staff. I would seek out gurus - coaching, developing, recruiting gurus. I would seek out guys trying to be on the leading edge. I would reward success, accept failure when coupled with trying new things and would not accept complacency.

I would earn my pay or be too embarrassed to accept it and donate most back into the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT