ADVERTISEMENT

The Problem of Fitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
The data confirms it again.

The results are in and 100% of the posters now agree that the DC should go.
CatManTrue was right, after the msu game when he highly suggested ie., JON doesnt know what he is doing.

But there is 1 holdout to side with madness and it is Fitz.

If we carefully look at TPOF this is the exact sorta thing we should expect.

Fitz caught a break and has a new AD who wants to play it safe so the only way to stop Fitz' madness is for Pat Ryan to have a meeting telling him that he needs to make the wanted changes.

Separately, i think the problem is greater than JON. Fitz must go. It simply isnt good enough to say nobody real wants to come here and coach under him and that recruits avoid us like the plague now.

CatManTrue was right, after the msu game when he highly suggested ie., JON doesnt know what he is doing.

Fitz caught a break and has a new AD who wants to play it safe so the only way to stop Fitz' madness is for Pat Ryan to have a meeting telling him that he needs to make the wanted changes.

Separately, i think the problem is greater than JON. Fitz must go. It simply isnt good enough to say nobody real wants to come here and coach under him and that recruits avoid us like the plague now.
There are like 30 programs looking for coaches at the moment. How about we wait a while instead of getting one off the clearance rack? I say see if Gary Patterson will DC for us

Turk,
Fitz will go when Fitz wants to go. Your statement is absolutely asinine.

The problem of Turk......thinking that a poll of posters should be the guiding light.. Fitz is a good, decent human being who looks out admirably for his student-athletes. that is my #1 criteria. I will wallow in the good seasons and suffer through the bad......I am with Fixpatrick....

There are like 30 programs looking for coaches at the moment. How about we wait a while instead of getting one off the clearance rack? I say see if Gary Patterson will DC for us
While we're "fantasy booking" here I also don't hate Dan Mullen coming in as OC.

I'm sure this is provoking eye rolls across the board, but as I recall Fitz an Mullen are fond of each other. If Fitz actually wanted to pull the plug on his current OC/DC experiments, I think he could learn a lot by having HC-level peers by his side, even for just a single season. I thought the same for Tim Brewster, who went on from Minny to have pretty decent assistant coaching career (...his current gig, as AHC at Florida...appears to be in flux)

The incentive for these guys doing it? Our stats are in the toilet right now...send us into the Top 50 next season and they're market value returns...or a guy like Patterson in his 60s maybe likes the country club environment in Evanston, which seemed to suit Hank pretty well.

While we're "fantasy booking" here I also don't hate Dan Mullen coming in as OC.

I'm sure this is provoking eye rolls across the board, but as I recall Fitz an Mullen are fond of each other. If Fitz actually wanted to pull the plug on his current OC/DC experiments, I think he could learn a lot by having HC-level peers by his side, even for just a single season. I thought the same for Tim Brewster, who went on from Minny to have pretty decent assistant coaching career (...his current gig, as AHC at Florida...appears to be in flux)

The incentive for these guys doing it? Our stats are in the toilet right now...send us into the Top 50 next season and they're market value returns...or a guy like Patterson in his 60s maybe likes the country club environment in Evanston, which seemed to suit Hank pretty well.
yeah, I like this general idea. Lot's of coaching carousel stops this winter, and some former HC's are going to be left without a horse to ride. Greg Schiano was able to 'rehab' his reputation and has Rutgers back on the rise. Why not one of these established/fired HC's that need a year to recuperate? I think Fitz is a secure enough personality that he wouldn't worry about the person "outshining" him, particularly on defense.

It's a pipe dream, mind you. He won't change anything. And with a new AD and Prez, he won't have any pressure to do so.

Lighten up. Fitz is the best coach in the B10
best coach in the bigten cant win 2 games. Should be fired. This bs of major arse handing years is unacceptable and he is a proven failure.

And he has JON to lean on instead of Hank for next year.

Dumb dumb dumb buddy hire.

Any other program and he is gone. Awful.

Congrats to Turk for daring to say this stuff and bearing the reaction from those who refuse to face it.
Too bad you don’t have a subscription to the rock or you’d see the disbelief that I’ve received over there for saying this for months / years. I questioned JON’s hire from the get go and am still accused of having an axe to grind. LOL.

Turk and his buddy Ned provide enough entertainment for free, Martinis and all.

Last edited:
The problem of Turk......thinking that a poll of posters should be the guiding light.. Fitz is a good, decent human being who looks out admirably for his student-athletes. that is my #1 criteria. I will wallow in the good seasons and suffer through the bad......I am with Fixpatrick....

Decent human beings don't translate into successful CFB head coaches all the time. You want choirboys or football players? Fitz promised BIG titles and even contending for nattys. I am not sure he can get the program to that level. He has no personal or professional motivation to actually get the job done. The sad part is there seems to be a Club Med culture that seems to pervade NU. You would think the University would want to win and justify the new facilities and enhance the prestige of NU overall. Ayeni and Macpherson are the only assistants that are actually producing it seems. Schools out on Anderson, but the rest seem that they are expendable. Bajakian is ok, but his system is inadequate without decent linemen and tight ends. On top of that his system isn't going to bring in the talent that will get to the next level. I am afraid you will wallow way more often than not unless be Fitz innovates his offensive philosophy and hires the best and brightest assistants out there.

Last edited:
Too bad you don’t have a subscription to the rock or you’d see the disbelief that I’ve received over there for saying this for months / years. I questioned JON’s hire from the get go and am still accused of having an axe to grind. LOL.

My subscription expires next August. I don’t plan on renewing it and would rather save $100 and commiserate on the free board. Turk and his buddy Ned provide enough well-rounded info for free, Martinis and all.
Hah! Rivals doesn't allow "non-renewals." CMT Jr. through CMT DCLVIII and beyond will still be paying that damn fee.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
Hah! Rivals doesn't allow "non-renewals." CMT Jr. through CMT DCLVIII and beyond will still be paying that damn fee.
My subscription expires in February and I will be a freeloader thereafter. We who share the truth have been punished. I’ll put the extra funds to CMT Jr’s college fund.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turk
Fake news! I had previously tried to cancel and was offered an extra six months free of charge. CMT Junior will never pay a dime to Yahoo! (Unless he wants to).

But I just canceled and now it looks like I’ll be done at the end of February with the original offer retracted. And thanks to @lou v liking a post on the Rock that was a clear shot at me, I’m happy to cancel.

I’m gonna share some real rabble rousing stuff on the free board.

Seriously?

Was referring to being sufficiently offended by a “like” to unsubscribe.
Well, this is funny, kinda symbolic actually. Ruling party that controls the content and also picks on the minority party so that minority party takes his money elsewhere. Another member to that same party expresses shock.

@CatManTrue - good for you to speak w your money. I continue to believe the traffic around here has to be trending lower and lower as the teams show to be worse and worse with little hope on the horizon.

I don’t want this place to food but if yahoo suits it down, that majority controlling party will blame the likes of you and me despite the fact that they literally controlled the keys to success and stubbornly chose to close out revenue drivers and run off members.

Well, this is funny, kinda symbolic actually. Ruling party that controls the content and also picks on the minority party so that minority party takes his money elsewhere. Another member to that same party expresses shock.

@CatManTrue - good for you to speak w your money. I continue to believe the traffic around here has to be trending lower and lower as the teams show to be worse and worse with little hope on the horizon.

I don’t want this place to food but if yahoo suits it down, that majority controlling party will blame the likes of you and me despite the fact that they literally controlled the keys to success and stubbornly chose to close out revenue drivers and run off members.

Thought it kind of hilarious, nothing to do with ruling parties and whatever you went on about.

Was referring to being sufficiently offended by a “like” to unsubscribe.
There are a few factors; I’m tired of being the board whipping boy for speaking the truth. I like Lou but he’s letting a ND fan pick against us every week with a confidence level of 10, which is no bueno. Rivals/Yahoo don’t need any more of my cash.

Plus once my entire family is vaccinated I’ll get out of the house more. Turk and his buddy Ned will carry on.

Reactions: Turk and IGNORE2
Solution to TPOF

Growing up in Orlando park, PF has to be a big bears fan. The bears have to be considering a new coach and have a history of terrible coaching hires. Maybe PF is tired of the bitchy pimples faced student media, fans like me, a losing program, uninspiring assistant coaching and the related uncomfortable position to retain them. Perhaps he’s not excited about a new AD and President. Heck, he can tout all the infrastructure he brought to camps and his accomplishments.

So when the bears come knocking, it’s the chance to follow a childhood dream - Halas, Ditka… And his ego makes him believe he can fix the bears just like he ‘fixed’ the cats.

And the Mccaskeys sign him away and usher him off to Arlington Heights to raise the Bears to new heights….

Boy, it’sa rough winter to be a fan in Chicago and NU alum. NU teams suck, Bears and Hawks suck - all the above appear stuck in mud for the foreseeable future. And Bulls new car smell is starting to wear off.

I’m ready for the best five words in sports: ‘pitchers and catchers to report.’ Bring on the next year of the Sox dynasty.

Thought it kind of hilarious, nothing to do with ruling parties and whatever you went on about.
Majority parties are obtuse to their treatment of minorities parties these days. But still, another membership gone. Traffic at all time lows. Scream at your monitor all you want - won’t change those facts.

There are a few factors; I’m tired of being the board whipping boy for speaking the truth. I like Lou but he’s letting a ND fan pick against us every week with a confidence level of 10, which is no bueno. Rivals/Yahoo don’t need any more of my cash.

Plus once my entire family is vaccinated I’ll get out of the house more. Turk and his buddy Ned will carry on.
Wait for it - whipping boy or folks like coral and gcg are about to call you a self declared martyr. Welcome to the club buddy. Funny - you were part of the other side not so long ago. Welcome to the side of good.

I donated the $100 I’ll save to the Altus Academy given I think Bajakian’s getting a bad rap too. It also looks like my employer will match in full so double goody.

Yahoo would more likely sell Rivals off than shut it down. I imagine this is one of their more profitable assets.

I am continuing my boycott of said Notre Dame fan indefinitely. He can say what he wants, I can read what I want. I'm sure a click is worth about a thousandth of a cent in ad revenue, but I gotta do my part.

I let the "free Rock" subscription expire because I'm cheap, and because I couldn't handle the emotions of watching 16-17 year-old's playing hat-dances and the like. If I want to see a hat dance, I'll watch NUMB do the bottle dance.

Ned is actually needle-nose Ned Ryerson, or Ned Flanders, not sure which.

Finally, Fitz isn't losing his job. He's like a 70's Dad driving the family station wagon, way off course, refusing to ask for directions. Finally, 2 days late (figuratively), he gets us to Wally World, and says "SEE!"

I would be thrilled if that happened, but I doubt it is even on Fitzgerald's radar. Seems to me he wouldn't want anyone but yes men. Mullen might upstage him, etc. Plus if Turk's friend Ned is right, Mullen might not want to come. I 💕 your thinking though.

You do realize the Fitzpatrick picking against the Cats every week is a bit of a running joke, yes?

Solution to TPOF

Growing up in Orlando park, PF has to be a big bears fan. The bears have to be considering a new coach and have a history of terrible coaching hires. Maybe PF is tired of the bitchy pimples faced student media, fans like me, a losing program, uninspiring assistant coaching and the related uncomfortable position to retain them. Perhaps he’s not excited about a new AD and President. Heck, he can tout all the infrastructure he brought to camps and his accomplishments.

So when the bears come knocking, it’s the chance to follow a childhood dream - Halas, Ditka… And his ego makes him believe he can fix the bears just like he ‘fixed’ the cats.

And the Mccaskeys sign him away and usher him off to Arlington Heights to raise the Bears to new heights….

Boy, it’sa rough winter to be a fan in Chicago and NU alum. NU teams suck, Bears and Hawks suck - all the above appear stuck in mud for the foreseeable future. And Bulls new car smell is starting to wear off.

I’m ready for the best five words in sports: ‘pitchers and catchers to report.’ Bring on the next year of the Sox dynasty.

The Bears aren’t going to hire Fitz to replace Nagy, they need someone with a better background developing QB talent. Think Brian Daboll, Greg Roman, maybe Kellen Moore or Eric Bienemy (with Kafka in tow), though going to the Andy Reid coaching tree twice in a row might be awkward.

Reactions: Titanium999
I would be thrilled if that happened, but I doubt it is even on Fitzgerald's radar. Seems to me he wouldn't want anyone but yes men. Mullen might upstage him, etc. Plus if Turk's friend Ned is right, Mullen might not want to come. I 💕 your thinking though.
I look at it this way...if Fitz is lying awake at night actually thinking, "I've made a grave hiring mistake here" - there is a good-odds, plausible way out of it that does not immediately require him to jump back into the pool and risk making the same mistake twice.

Pundits might say "but where does it leave him for recruiting when you have coordinators who will be head coaching candidates elsewhere before they've even unpacked? My answer: no worse off than we are right now, and if I'm Fitz I'd point out how long I and my position coaches have been in place.

More likely, Fitz is thinking this is a "don't give up!" sort of problem and that thinking real hard about it as coaches will solve all the problems next season. This, in particular, is why I'm worried we might actually win/retain the Hat, and Fitz sees that as the moment where the whole season turns around...

He gets paid over $5M per year so maybe he's right. Shrug.

Reactions: IGNORE2
He does have a boss, right?
Yeah, his boss is a guy that is, clearly, still feeling his way along and is going to have to manage a project worth about 200M. Same boss whose own boss (president) is looking at his watch, ready for the new prez to come in. The incoming president isn't going to demand a huge buyout-firing upon entering the job. Fitz still has enough capital that he's not in any danger unless he strings together 2+ more years of suck.

The only countervailing force against Fitz right now is the absolute impatience of most other schools in tolerating bad football. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sark fired, for instance. But we are not Texas, Fla, et al. More like Duke and Stanford, that are grumbling about their lousy football teams but not doing anything about it. Get back to me when Shaw or Cut get fired, although Patterson firing should give Fitz pause

First of all, I'm sorry to see you go -- though I think the fact that one of my Likes scared you away is laughable and somehow fitting.

I just want to point something out here. One of the biggest complaints you have is that one of our writers -- who is not an ND fan, by the way -- picks against the Cats every week. That somehow offends you, despite the fact that he's been right eight times in 11 games. Yet, at the same time, it's okay for you, a former player, to crap all over the program and coaches at every opportunity in every forum available, on a daily basis. I find that interesting.

You also talk a lot about the fact that many former players feel the same way you do about the program. I'm sure that's true. But do you ever wonder why you're the only one posting about it? You should think about why that is.

First of all, I'm sorry to see you go -- though I think the fact that one of my Likes scared you away is laughable and somehow fitting.

I just want to point something out here. One of the biggest complaints you have is that one of our writers -- who is not an ND fan, by the way -- picks against the Cats every week. That somehow offends you, despite the fact that he's been right eight times in 11 games. Yet, at the same time, it's okay for you, a former player, to crap all over the program and coaches at every opportunity in every forum available, on a daily basis. I find that interesting.

You also talk a lot about the fact that many former players feel the same way you do about the program. I'm sure that's true. But do you ever wonder why you're the only one posting about it? You should think about why that is.
I hesitate to give Mike Fitz any further notoriety, but his 10/10 confidence level that we will lose every game is an obvious schtick, and it's tiresome. Clearly, picking us 10/10 confidence to lose to ISU, Ohio and RU were just to get under our skin. Maybe he's trying to build a brand. Whatever. It's not clever and it's not interesting. Further, it is the ultimate in crapping on the team. 'yes, I firmly feel that this team will lose to ISU and OU'. Right. Again - whatever. Build your brand, Fitzy. I stopped reading the 10/10 articles about week 5. You chased off a reader.

Some of the hyperbolic posters here are also tiresome, but they are not staff content that you'd like us to click and read.

Finally, Lou, I don't know the board rules about duplicate posters, and frankly, I don't care; however, I may have overlooked whether you ever confirmed, definitively, that they either don't exist or are against said rules.

I donated the $100 I’ll save to the Altus Academy given I think Bajakian’s getting a bad rap too. It also looks like my employer will match in full so double goody.

Yahoo would more likely sell Rivals off than shut it down. I imagine this is one of their more profitable assets.
I don't think they will shut down rivals. Each school page is separate. Some have no free board. Some have no paid moderator for that one school - it's managed by a moderator overseeing a few pages. That is the direction I anticipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT