ADVERTISEMENT

The Screamer Has Been Silenced

Love her enthusiasm and spirit and wish her no ill will. But I am glad the screaming has ended, it was really irritating. Emily can cheer loudly in a more “conventional” manner just like the rest of us. Go ‘Cats.
Golf clap golf clap. Cheerio ol chap.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The PALESTRA. Likely the best, most exciting venue in college basketball. Home of Penn and the Big Five. Where Penn vanquished Villanova last month, and I can only imagine what that was like. Small, intimate venue where the over-the-top noise level makes one wonder how the players can even focus to make a shot. Games have been won or lost simply because of the noise. It's partly the acoustics, partly the rivalries and partly that everyone knows that noise can influence a game. In a building not so perfectly designed for basketball (Ryan perhaps), like any other public situation, where your main focus shouldn't have to be on the person near you who has come with a bad cold and coughs incessantly, a bit of self awareness is warranted on part of the person who doesn't realize they are the only one who is coughing while everyone else is not there to listen to their coughing. Context matters. I have never been to a basketball game at Ryan, but my guess is that fans cheer, and don't sit there like they're watching tennis. Someone who has Tourette Syndrome, you tolerate, someone with no self-awareness what-so-ever, not so much.

Last edited:
I hope Northwestern loses every game until they reverse this stupid policy. This is embarrassing and infuriating! Our most passionate and loyal fan and they tell her to stifle herself.

I trust the NU students will come up with an appropriate retort to this.

Yeah, right.

I've been a rapidly noisy and annoying fan in my time. I've been told to please be quiet at football games. And yet, this news makes me happy. Her special brand of screaming was a real drag on the whole experience for players, patrons, recruits, etc. I love her enthusiasm for NU sports and she is no doubt a better fan than me. But if I went to every game there was as a superfan and brought a chalkboard and scraped it with a metal rake throughout the entire game, I'd expect to be asked to stop as well.

Then make more noise and drown her out. This approach sucks. Makes me very sad as an NU alum. Reeks of the goat on the north side at that minor league field. Are they going to bring Taylor back next?

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I imagine she would drive me nuts. But I have also been told to sit down at NU football games. I think this is part of the divide.

A big part of NU is alum that followed no sports in college, rose in life to be forced to appreciate or even participate in gentlemanly sport and truly appreciate the silence of tennis and golf.

Then minority that played or loved sports or understand why the Seahawks are tough at home. And I hate the while strapped it on argument...

And here, on this Board, the former are just so proud to have teams that now compete, but also graduate. The wins are superfluous.

And others that can acknowledge progress, great progress from the 80s and 90s, yet see potential and yearn for greatness.

At other schools, Duke, ND, Stanford - I would expect a student driven response. At NU, this simply sucks.

I meant your generalization as to the fact how you feel about a certain point is necessarily share by every single fan, player, recruit, etc.
Fans on here have complained... patrons.
Quotes from players politely saying it is what it is.
You've got me on recruits, but I believe it is a bad look. I have a hard time imagining a 17 year old top athlete thinking, yeah this is totally cool. One extremely odd fan screeching after every single play. It is just weird. Not cute in quirky way, not light and fun. Not something that caught on as a fad. It is like the scene from Dumb and Dumber... wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world? Repeated every 15 seconds for two hours straight every home game? Yeah, that is just as cool as the Cameron Crazies or other top program student sections. Sorry, I don't think so. Just another form of Nerdwestern.

Fans on here have complained... patrons.
Quotes from players politely saying it is what it is.
You've got me on recruits, but I believe it is a bad look. I have a hard time imagining a 17 year old top athlete thinking, yeah this is totally cool. One extremely odd fan screeching after every single play. It is just weird. Not cute in quirky way, not light and fun. Not something that caught on as a fad. It is like the scene from Dumb and Dumber... wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world? Repeated every 15 seconds for two hours straight every home game? Yeah, that is just as cool as the Cameron Crazies or other top program student sections. Sorry, I don't think so. Just another form of Nerdwestern.
I would have preferred a meeting with the other students around her saying "Hey, how about some help drowning her out?"

What I'd really prefer is this program focusing on things that actually matter, like how to keep 50% of our seats out of opposing fan hands and trying to win a ball game or two.

I imagine she would drive me nuts. But I have also been told to sit down at NU football games. I think this is part of the divide.

A big part of NU is alum that followed no sports in college, rose in life to be forced to appreciate or even participate in gentlemanly sport and truly appreciate the silence of tennis and golf.

Then minority that played or loved sports or understand why the Seahawks are tough at home. And I hate the while strapped it on argument...

And here, on this Board, the former are just so proud to have teams that now compete, but also graduate. The wins are superfluous.

And others that can acknowledge progress, great progress from the 80s and 90s, yet see potential and yearn for greatness.

At other schools, Duke, ND, Stanford - I would expect a student driven response. At NU, this simply sucks.
Forget NU students. They are in their own little nerd cocoons. I have no idea what NU admissions has become, but it seems to be a self(NU)-serving attempt to get the highest grades and SAT scores at the exclusion of everything else. How has Fitz survived and even flourished in this climate? We have out-Chicago'd, Chicago. It's up to us alums to save this.

I would have preferred a meeting with the other students around her saying "Hey, how about some help drowning her out?"

What I'd really prefer is this program focusing on things that actually matter, like how to keep 50% of our seats out of opposing fan hands and trying to win a ball game or two.
gee I thought that the new , smaller W-R was supposed to accomplish that. Now instead of 2,000 opposing fans in a 10,000 seat arena we get 2,000 enemy fans in a 7,000 seat gym.

gee I thought that the new , smaller W-R was supposed to accomplish that. Now instead of 2,000 opposing fans in a 10,000 seat arena we get 2,000 enemy fans in a 7,000 seat gym.
Nothing will fix season ticket holders giving away and/or selling their prime seats to opposing fans.

You have to click through the link, then again on the photos to see her; woman who paid for front row tickets immediately in front of The Screamer plugging her ears to try in earnest to block out the noise:

In what way does that relate to my statement that NU is doing nothing to stop certain STH from giving away/sale prime seats to opposing fans and that being the real problem rather than number of seats?

Last edited:
In what way does that relate to my statement that NU is doing nothing to stop certain STH from giving away/sale prime seats to opposing fans and that being the real problem rather than number of seats?

That "prime ticketholder" sure seems a hell of a lot more likely to sell/give away her ticket if she's subject to insufferable screaming throughout the game, no?

That "prime ticketholder" sure seems a hell of a lot more likely to sell/give away her ticket if she's subject to insufferable screaming throughout the game, no?
You know, for someone who bitches about others arguing the exception so much, you're really quick to resort to it yourself. There are maybe what...10 seats on that side of the court (in front of the effin' student section which is a DUUUUUMB place to put anyone). If no one else gave away their tickets in, say, Sections 107-109 and the Wilson Club, I'd be more than fine having opposing fans in front of the student section (which, to reiterate, is a dumb place to put big time donors and/or STHs).

Ahhhh, Welsh Ryan Arena ... where fun goes to die.

So let me get this straight: Her screaming was okay at Allstate Arena. But now that NU has created an intimate atmosphere, we should check with the noise police to see what fan distractions are acceptable.

Sec 112 - it was woeful at Allstate but the place was empty and the tickets were cheap. Paying what people now have to pay to attend NU games, noise is great, the sound of dying Cats is too much (and a sad metaphor for the season). Being a great fan does not mean you get to ruin the game for others. NU did the right thing for all involved. She's handling it with class. Everyone wins here.

You know, for someone who bitches about others arguing the exception so much, you're really quick to resort to it yourself. There are maybe what...10 seats on that side of the court (in front of the effin' student section which is a DUUUUUMB place to put anyone). If no one else gave away their tickets in, say, Sections 107-109 and the Wilson Club, I'd be more than fine having opposing fans in front of the student section (which, to reiterate, is a dumb place to put big time donors and/or STHs).
Agree , I couldn't believe that they put seats in front of the students and band. maybe if they expanded up and/or out they would have plenty of seats for the big donors.

They also put "prime ticketholders" directly in front of the band at the beginning of the year. When those septuagenarians were putting their hands over their ears, the band didn't get kicked out.

This is all so silly, and it's indicative of what fanbases of teams that don't win end up talking about.

I'm encouraged that NU is taking steps to improve seating at Ryan and hope they gain insights applicable to W-R as well.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

It's the one example with pictorial evidence. NU's marketing folks wouldn't have taken action save for a "critical mass" of people complaining, be they ticketholders, TV producers, etc.

They also put "prime ticketholders" directly in front of the band at the beginning of the year. When those septuagenarians were putting their hands over their ears, the band didn't get kicked out.

This is all so silly, and it's indicative of what fanbases of teams that don't win end up talking about.

I'm encouraged that NU is taking steps to improve seating at Ryan and hope they gain insights applicable to W-R as well.

Because the band is forced to play only at certain times, whereas the screaming occurred consistently throughout the game.

There's nothing creative about what she was doing. It wasn't witty. It wasn't creative. It was different when it was only at select times (i.e. during free throws, etc.), but had clearly become something more than that. It was "enthusiasm" or "cheering" in a general sense, but sure felt like it became more about her than supporting the team.

EDIT: I fully realize that I'm an "old man shaking his fist" on this one, but the screaming was just too damn much.

Because the band is forced to play only at certain times, whereas the screaming occurred consistently throughout the game.

There's nothing creative about what she was doing. It wasn't witty. It wasn't creative. It was different when it was only at select times (i.e. during free throws, etc.), but had clearly become something more than that. It was "enthusiasm" or "cheering" in a general sense, but sure felt like it became more about her than supporting the team.

EDIT: I fully realize that I'm an "old man shaking his fist" on this one, but the screaming was just too damn much.

If you paid thousands of dollars for a sports ticket, would you want to be 3 feet from a tuba?

If you paid thousands of dollars for a sports ticket, would you want to be 3 feet from a tuba?

Better than a screamer.

Bands are a kind of "built in" feature of college sports. Constant high-pitched screaming is not.

I was in the handful of front rows down in Indy for the Big Ten Title. 4th, 5th. Something like that. Literally 10 feet from them. I had never sat that close to the band before. I loved every second of it!!

GCG is 100% right on this.

I was in the handful of front rows down in Indy for the Big Ten Title. 4th, 5th. Something like that. Literally 10 feet from them. I had never sat that close to the band before. I loved every second of it!!

GCG is 100% right on this.

So it's true that different people can have different reactions to different things that might happen in a sporting venue? Because the guy I was laughing at for his poor luck to be in front of the band was putting his hands on his ears just like the woman TCR showed on Twitter. To each his own.

Give me a loud band. Give me loud students. Give me anything in purple because I'm pretty much embarrassed every time I've walked into W-R this year for a conference game seeing our "sold out," "few tickets available," brand new arena filled to the rafters with orange and gold, with a half-empty, cordoned-off club for rich people who don't show, then coming here to see some of our most devoted supporters ripping on the people who are there.

Last edited:
We can always use more fans (cheering in a loud but conventional way)!!

I just hope people don't stand up and ruin my observation of these sporting matches. And please don't let them don't play any of that rock-n-rap music that's ruining our young people these days at our ballgames. We need something more conventional! :rolleyes:

Reactions: rwhitney014
I just hope people don't stand up and ruin my observation of these sporting matches. And please don't let them don't play any of that rock-n-rap music that's ruining our young people these days at our ballgames. We need something more conventional! :rolleyes:

Kind of scandalous to have men and women singing together in the same group, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT