ADVERTISEMENT

The season’s not over for one simple reason that rhymes with “Oooh, Ooo-ey!”

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Keep the faith as long as we have Boo Buie running the point!

Go Cats!

College Basketball GIF by NTHS

Agree with this. One should remember that Luke Hunger was our most impactful big man against Michigan State. (One should forget, at least for now, that Ty Berry was awesome that day too.)
Yup. And MSU’s bigs are very average - to put it nicely - if Borg plays we can absolutely beat them. Keep the faith!

Reactions: olshin
Saturday had an inkling of becoming “The Boo Buie Game”, but NU just had no stops in the tank.

He was 6-7 from three, and that crooked smile in his head shot whenever they show a stat line is great. It was his eighth 20-point, 7-assist game. Nobody in the major conferences has more than 4.

The pick and roll is hardly part of the game with Preston and Hunger — but I look for Mart to try to run some stuff with him in the next few games.

All is not lost.

We all know he’s the best guard in the country. He’s got five weekends to show the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
Yup. And MSU’s bigs are very average - to put it nicely - if Borg plays we can absolutely beat them. Keep the faith!
That is true, the MSU bigs pose no offensive threat. Minnesota's neither, just marginally more, Garcia would not be guarded by Matt anyway.

But Matt affects the game beyond that. It's no coincidence his raw +/- are usually good compared to other players. He keeps other players away from the paint, he does not grab a rebound but occupies a large area that allows more rebounds for others... A big man really alters a lot by just being there.

We are still good enough, with Borg and some luck, to win both games. And I do think we are still (maybe even heavily) favored against MN

That is true, the MSU bigs pose no offensive threat. Minnesota's neither, just marginally more, Garcia would not be guarded by Matt anyway.

But Matt affects the game beyond that. It's no coincidence his raw +/- are usually good compared to other players. He keeps other players away from the paint, he does not grab a rebound but occupies a large area that allows more rebounds for others... A big man really alters a lot by just being there.

We are still good enough, with Borg and some luck, to win both games. And I do think we are still (maybe even heavily) favored against MN
Agree with almost all of this, except Minnesota will "probably" be 10-9 for the season finale. They are likely to have their goals right in front of them. If we lose to MSU (which seems likely) we may be pretty tight for that Minnesota game, sitting at 11-8, with a bunch of teams clawing at us.

Pharell Payne is really coming on for Minnesota and he's a load. I'm not sure how we can guard Dawson Garcia.
Can Blake Smith guard Cam Christie? The Gophers were down 41-18 against Penn State and still won to keep their hopes alive. If they somehow lose at home to Indiana, that would help.

Reactions: salukicat
Agree with almost all of this, except Minnesota will "probably" be 10-9 for the season finale. They are likely to have their goals right in front of them. If we lose to MSU (which seems likely) we may be pretty tight for that Minnesota game, sitting at 11-8, with a bunch of teams clawing at us.

Pharell Payne is really coming on for Minnesota and he's a load. I'm not sure how we can guard Dawson Garcia.
Can Blake Smith guard Cam Christie? The Gophers were down 41-18 against Penn State and still won to keep their hopes alive. If they somehow lose at home to Indiana, that would help.
All of that is true, factual. I watch enough MN to know them more than most other teams. Payne has gotten so much better, Christie is arguably the best rookie in the league, the guard is a very good passer, Garcia is a bit soft, does not do anything at elite level, but does a lot above what a 6'10 dude should do, so is a matchup problem. They have energy guys off the bench like Fox and Joseph. They have really been the biggest surprise in the league.

But I don't want to discount where the game will be played. I think that is hella significant. As of now, ESPN still has us at a 77% probability of winning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT