ADVERTISEMENT

The Two Edged Sword of ESPN

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Living in the Bay Area, I would not have seen the season opener against Purdue if it this was 20 years ago. It would have been on Saturday on radio or maybe a regional feed. The reach of ESPN and subsequent conference network launches have meant I get to watch every game, and I appreciate it. I understand where advertising fits in that model.

Having said that, watching your own team on an ESPN game is excruciating. When I watch a team I am not a fan of, I can multitask through some of the things I am about to describe. When the Cats play, I am glued to the set since I don’t want to miss anything. The commercial breaks, particularly in the second half, are frequent and seem endless. The human interest cutaways, for example the Green family and Brohm’s kid last night, are incredibly distracting. The use of the wire-hung flying camera between plays, and the seeming need to fit at least 4 camera cuts before most plays makes it impossible to get a sense of the sets and reads before snaps and hinders your ability to understand what each team is trying to do. Last night, I think there must have been at least a half dozen plays where the ball was snapped before or at the time the cut went to the camera that would cover the play.

All in all, the way the game is produced makes it borderline unwatchable in real time. As I have written before, it also dampens the in person viewing with the long play stoppages.
I know this is probably not going to change in the near future, but if the networks and conference don’t figure some way to limit breaks and simplify coverage (say offer a second feed that focuses on the scrimmage cameras and not the human interest crap and multiple cuts) I think the audience will slowly erode over time.

Living in the Bay Area, I would not have seen the season opener against Purdue if it this was 20 years ago. It would have been on. Saturday on radio or maybe a regional feed. The reach of ESPN and subsequent conference network launches have meant I get to watch every game, and I appreciate it. I understand where advertising fits in that model.

Having said that, watching your own team on an ESPN game is excruciating. When I watch a team I am not a fan of, I can multitask through some of the things I am about to describe. When the Cats play, I am glued to the set since I don’t want to miss anything. The commercial breaks, particularly in the second half, are frequent and seem endless. The human interest cutaways (the Green family and Brohm’s kid last night are incredibly distracting). The use of the wire-hung flying camera between plays, and the seeming need to fit at least 4 camera cuts before most plays makes it impossible to get a sense of the sets and reads before snaps and hinders your ability to understand what each team is trying to do. Last night, I thing there must have been at least a half dozen plays where the ball was snapped before or at the time the cut went to the camera that would cover the play.

All in all, the way the game is produced makes it borderline unwatchable in real time. As I have written before, it also dampens the in person viewing with the long play stoppages.
I know this is probably not going to change in the near future, but if the networks and conference don’t figure some way to limit breaks and simplify coverage (say offer a second feed that focuses on the scrimmage cameras and not the human interest crap and multiple cuts) I think the audience will slowly erode over time.
NU-Purdue was the lead on the ESPNU 10:00 am radio show with Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel (sp?). Got a full 20 minutes on the game. Chliders has a man-crush on Fitz and played part of his post-game presser on Thorson's return. Cats got plenty of praise for how they played and Rick said they are a definite contender in the West. Having the game on ESPN is huge.

Living in the Bay Area, I would not have seen the season opener against Purdue if it this was 20 years ago. It would have been on Saturday on radio or maybe a regional feed. The reach of ESPN and subsequent conference network launches have meant I get to watch every game, and I appreciate it. I understand where advertising fits in that model.

Having said that, watching your own team on an ESPN game is excruciating. When I watch a team I am not a fan of, I can multitask through some of the things I am about to describe. When the Cats play, I am glued to the set since I don’t want to miss anything. The commercial breaks, particularly in the second half, are frequent and seem endless. The human interest cutaways, for example the Green family and Brohm’s kid last night, are incredibly distracting. The use of the wire-hung flying camera between plays, and the seeming need to fit at least 4 camera cuts before most plays makes it impossible to get a sense of the sets and reads before snaps and hinders your ability to understand what each team is trying to do. Last night, I think there must have been at least a half dozen plays where the ball was snapped before or at the time the cut went to the camera that would cover the play.

It's not unlike the extremely distracting idiot commercial games at an actual game at Ryan. I cooked dinner last night, during commercial breaks, so wasn't distracted--that's one advantage to a night game.

Reactions: Frabjous
NU-Purdue was the lead on the ESPNU 10:00 am radio show with Chris Childers and Rick Neuheisel (sp?). Got a full 20 minutes on the game. Chliders has a man-crush on Fitz and played part of his post-game presser on Thorson's return. Cats got plenty of praise for how they played and Rick said they are a definite contender in the West. Having the game on ESPN is huge.

I agree completely that having national exposure is great. My concern is how the game, when presented for a national audience, makes it difficult for a fan of one of the participant teams to watch.

Reactions: cat inkansas
I agree completely that having national exposure is great. My concern is how the game, when presented for a national audience, makes it difficult for a fan of one of the participant teams to watch.

I'm with you in that these games are almost unwatchable. As you said, it's almost easier to watch a game where NU isn't involved as I can daydream or go do something else in down time and am not especially concerned about everything. I've become a big fan of the English Premier League soccer games on Saturdays, not because I like soccer better than football (I don't at this point), but partially because it's just so refreshing to watch them play their 45-minute halves, get most of the commercials during halftime, and be done with it. I realize that part of the reason they get away with this in the U.S. is that they don't draw the ratings of our more American sports. Baseball has become deadly boring on TV. I haven't watched an entire Cubs game, except maybe for a couple of the playoff games, in years.

Agreed @pawildcat... the 45 minute running clock is magnificent. As a viewer I would love it if college football considered radical changes to the clock structure, because the 4.5 hour games are not sustainable for me and likely many others. Doubt that would ever happen, but a man can dream.

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm with you in that these games are almost unwatchable. As you said, it's almost easier to watch a game where NU isn't involved as I can daydream or go do something else in down time and am not especially concerned about everything. I've become a big fan of the English Premier League soccer games on Saturdays, not because I like soccer better than football (I don't at this point), but partially because it's just so refreshing to watch them play their 45-minute halves, get most of the commercials during halftime, and be done with it. I realize that part of the reason they get away with this in the U.S. is that they don't draw the ratings of our more American sports. Baseball has become deadly boring on TV. I haven't watched an entire Cubs game, except maybe for a couple of the playoff games, in years.

My mid 30’s son, who grew up as a die hard Cats fan never watches American football live, but does watch the Premier League regularly for the same reason. That is part of my point that the networks and conferences need to reconsider how they present games.

I don't want to come across as a jerk, but just feel the need to offer an opposing point of view. This thread sounds a little to me like the subject of the Louis CK routine on how everyone complains and no one is happy. I think watching these games on tv now is spectacular. You get to see your team from anywhere in the country (the world, even) and then see plays from multiple angles with close ups and a definition that is incredible. Whenever I go back and watch old clips of NU games on YouTube, I marvel at how much better the tv coverage has gotten.

I agree, the human interest stories get a little boring (though we loved the French speaking JJTBC!!), but overall, watching the games on tv nowadays is amazing and I doubt that is what will erode viewership.

Reactions: JournCat
The TV stoppages on ESPN are excessive. A 4+ hour game is too much, especially when it ends at midnight.

Reactions: drewjin
Too much little Brohm. I hate that kid now.

I don't want to come across as a jerk, but just feel the need to offer an opposing point of view. This thread sounds a little to me like the subject of the Louis CK routine on how everyone complains and no one is happy. I think watching these games on tv now is spectacular. You get to see your team from anywhere in the country (the world, even) and then see plays from multiple angles with close ups and a definition that is incredible. Whenever I go back and watch old clips of NU games on YouTube, I marvel at how much better the tv coverage has gotten.

I agree, the human interest stories get a little boring (though we loved the French speaking JJTBC!!), but overall, watching the games on tv nowadays is amazing and I doubt that is what will erode viewership.
Everyone has a good point. The ESPN exposure is phenomenal and the ability to see the action with the great camera work is a plus. On the other hand, for me personally, I agree with the OP that it is incredibly stressful to watch.
I got kind of turned off of national TV, when we played Missouri in that bowl game and saw as much of Chase Daniel's family as we did of the game.

DVR - if you have the patience, or young children not yet in bed, start the game an hour or so in from the beginning after the kids go to bed. Fast forward through all the crap until you catchup. It’s hard to resist not checking the score though while you are waiting to start watching.

\
I would suggest you change your allegiance to rugby that is available on ESPN+, NBC Gold, BeIN TV--40 minute uninterrupted halves, real injuries, no tutu's or cry babies, no pandering to the refs-just non-stop contact for 80 minutes

Soccer-game for gentlemen played by hooligans
Rugby-game for hooligans played by gentlemen

Here are some rugby bumper stickers:
1. Give Blood Play Rugby
2. Support Your Local Hooker(British Ambassador in DC did not like that when pasted on his bumper)
3. Rugby Players Eat Their Dead(Unfortunately True)

\
I would suggest you change your allegiance to rugby that is available on ESPN+, NBC Gold, BeIN TV--40 minute uninterrupted halves, real injuries, no tutu's or cry babies, no pandering to the refs-just non-stop contact for 80 minutes

Soccer-game for gentlemen played by hooligans
Rugby-game for hooligans played by gentlemen

Here are some rugby bumper stickers:
1. Give Blood Play Rugby
2. Support Your Local Hooker(British Ambassador in DC did not like that when pasted on his bumper)
3. Rugby Players Eat Their Dead(Unfortunately True)
And. they have pretty cool jerseys.

The game was replayed (with edits) on ESPNU early this morning. I thought to post to alert anyone who missed the original, but thought better of it as I am sure all you contiguous 48ers were soundly in bed sleeping anyway. By the way BTN did a nice recap of the game with a multitude of highlight clips on its repeat repeat feature all night.

Last edited:

The games themselves are terrific — the four-hour length of a game that actually takes a little over two hours to play not so much. Part of it, of course, is that college football has become such big business that the networks flood the air with commercials in order to cover the costs of their huge TV contracts.

One of the early promises of cable TV was that by paying for television there might be fewer commercials. Now we get whopping cable bills and more commercials than ever. There was also some hope that by showing more teams we might get a more fluid power structure in the bigger leagues. While that has been true to some extent, it's still the same old teams that get the lion's share of adulation and attention from the networks, especially if their network happens to be tied in to a TV deal with that team's league. In some cases the cable networks might have made some dominant teams even more dominant (thinking of Duke in basketball, Alabama in football etc.) while lowering the profile of other teams (Pac 12 teams whose games don't start at convenient times).

I'm not saying I'm completely unhappy with the situation. I obviously like the chance to watch NU games more often. But I don't think it's a completely either/or thing. They could do a better job than they're doing.

Also, wouldn't it be nice as a STH if there were one or two games a year that weren't televised? You pay hundreds of dollars a year to support your teams athletics and then have to sit through commercials for TV coverage you aren't watching while in the stadium. Part of it is just irritable old coot syndrome. I just don't have the patience for it that I used to.

Reactions: NUCat320
It's not unlike the extremely distracting idiot commercial games at an actual game at Ryan. I cooked dinner last night, during commercial breaks, so wasn't distracted--that's one advantage to a night game.
its not as bad as it used to be when immediately after a huge play with the game on the line, the old scoreboard would have some bratty kid on there for her birthday party, thereby killing any mmentum we had.

College football needs to eliminate the stopped clock after a first down. It’s an absurd rule.

College football needs to eliminate the stopped clock after a first down. It’s an absurd rule.

Agreed, and I'd actually like to see them consider taking five seconds off the play clock. With the hurry-up offenses many teams are running today, you often see the QB line up with 15 seconds or more on the clock.

The rule is because if the first down is from a long gain, there is time to set everything. It is not a stupid rule.

Agreed, and I'd actually like to see them consider taking five seconds off the play clock. With the hurry-up offenses many teams are running today, you often see the QB line up with 15 seconds or more on the clock.
Remember a number of years ago, they did a bunch of clock rule changes--I think the clock just kept running throughout the entire game or something like that, except for time outs and official timeouts. It shortened the game to about 2 or 2 1/2 hours, and everyone, including me, was screaming they'd been cheated, it didn't even seem like a real football game. I'm against any rules to shorten the game, but also any rules that lengthen the game. IOW it's just about right.

Just PLEASE get rid of the stupid games during time outs--it really distracts from the flow of the game.

Remember a number of years ago, they did a bunch of clock rule changes--I think the clock just kept running throughout the entire game or something like that, except for time outs and official timeouts. It shortened the game to about 2 or 2 1/2 hours, and everyone, including me, was screaming they'd been cheated, it didn't even seem like a real football game. I'm against any rules to shorten the game, but also any rules that lengthen the game. IOW it's just about right.
Why can the NFL complete their games in 3 hours and a bit? Whatever they are doing the NCAA should copy. Four hour games suck.

Why can the NFL complete their games in 3 hours and a bit? Whatever they are doing the NCAA should copy. Four hour games suck.

And they really suck considering you can watch many of the games in the BTN in 60 segments, which provide all the game highlights without the boring pauses.

Too much little Brohm. I hate that kid now.
Agreed, but do you know TJ Green s dad used to poay in the NFL? Surprised they didn't show him much in camera last nighy...

At ESPN the S definitely stamds for "storylines"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT