ADVERTISEMENT

This is it. After this season, it's rebuilding time

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
With CT's likely departure this year, what in the world are we going to have left next year to help us against what is arguably the toughest schedule in a long time. True, we have Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin all at home, but who will be under center? I hope I'm wrong but we may be in for a long rebuilding process because I think we lose our first team and second team QB this year. That means a lot. This has got to be our year to try to secure our first Division crown.

And is it possible that we get a QB graduate transfer? That seems like a better outcome.

With CT's likely departure this year, what in the world are we going to have left next year to help us against what is arguably the toughest schedule in a long time. True, we have Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin all at home, but who will be under center? I hope I'm wrong but we may be in for a long rebuilding process because I think we lose our first team and second team QB this year. That means a lot. This has got to be our year to try to secure our first Division crown.

And is it possible that we get a QB graduate transfer? That seems like a better outcome.
Besides QB are we really rebuilding in other position groups anymore than other years?
By the way, that home slate is an excellent reason for CT to stay if it is an iffy choice. I hadn't noticed it before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Amazing how a good sophomore season has elevated Thorson from a kid who was much-derided on this board to an apparent "sure thing" NFL prospect. Maybe we ought to let the season play out and see what happens. As I've said elsewhere, it's a good thing if Clayton is being talked about for the NFL draft at the end of the season as that will mean NU has had a good year on offense. I'm not sure how long the rebuilding process will be. The last couple of recruiting classes have been good.

I got "shouted down" about it, but I think "next year's QB" needs to get some game experience this year. We've had the misfortune of having to play guys because of injury (Colter, Persa, Kafka), but it did help their development.

Better than the first real snaps coming in a conf game in 2018

What will ACTUALLY happen, barring injury, is that Thor will get 95% of the snaps and Alviti the other 5%

Besides QB are we really rebuilding in other position groups anymore than other years?
By the way, that home slate is an excellent reason for CT to stay if it is an iffy choice. I hadn't noticed it before. Thanks for pointing it out.

We like the young guys behind him, but it's going to be tough replacing JJTBC. He's been the only thing working in our offense for pretty long stretches over the past couple seasons. And the OL has under-performed, but replacing a couple guys won't be pleasant.

On the other side of the all, Igwebuike, Queiro, Watkins (assuming he can't get a medical hardship year), and Lancaster will all be tough to replace.

I'm really hoping Thorson is back.

Last edited:
Amazing how a good sophomore season has elevated Thorson from a kid who was much-derided on this board to an apparent "sure thing" NFL prospect. Maybe we ought to let the season play out and see what happens. As I've said elsewhere, it's a good thing if Clayton is being talked about for the NFL draft at the end of the season as that will mean NU has had a good year on offense. I'm not sure how long the rebuilding process will be. The last couple of recruiting classes have been good.
Why not follow JJTBC's quote of coming to NU to get a degree rather than being a football factory. If his improvement is so good that he now will have one great year under his belt, why not make it 2 great years and gain the experience that insures him a better chance of Sunday games...if that's what CT wants. For all we know his long term goals are not the same as ours. I think Darnell and AW are the only legitimate early out students we have had, at least that come to mind right away. Any other thought from those planning CT's future??

Why not follow JJTBC's quote of coming to NU to get a degree rather than being a football factory.

Given that this is Clay's 4th year in school he should be on track for a degree in June. Remember, he redshirted and JJTBC didn't. Both came in the same class.

Reactions: ricko654321
I got "shouted down" about it, but I think "next year's QB" needs to get some game experience this year. We've had the misfortune of having to play guys because of injury (Colter, Persa, Kafka), but it did help their development.

What will ACTUALLY happen, barring injury, is that Thor will get 95% of the snaps and Alviti the other 5%

Not trying to shout you down, but this needs to be the year we are all in for a title. If Alviti is number 2, we have to prepare him to step in at a moments notice. I think there will be a lot of tight games in conference and I an not sure there will be opportunities to put in the developmental guy. Post Clayton, we'll likely have the 3 way QB battle In store.

Yes, there will be growing pains after Clayton, but the upcoming QB's have promise and I think one will eventually separate from the pack. We have no idea what we have there now and likely won't know anything until they assume th starters role.

Why not follow JJTBC's quote of coming to NU to get a degree rather than being a football factory. If his improvement is so good that he now will have one great year under his belt, why not make it 2 great years and gain the experience that insures him a better chance of Sunday games...if that's what CT wants. For all we know his long term goals are not the same as ours. I think Darnell and AW are the only legitimate early out students we have had, at least that come to mind right away. Any other thought from those planning CT's future??

Why not become a football factory AND lead in graduation rate? I hope we get a ton of guys leaving early for the league. That means we have exceptional players.

I think people forget that having a successful pro career is what many if not most of these guys have dreamed of since being a youngster. Go for that dream if you can. Clayton's earnings peak in life may be the exact opposite of most NU grads, where is highest earnings potential could by in his first 5-10 years post NU rather than their last 5-10 years in the workplace.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern

Thorson probably will have a degree after this season.

I honestly would be surprised if he comes out early. Clayton doesn't seem like he comes form any position to need to jump out early. I can totally see the practical reasons WHY he could but I think that all depends on what happens this year. If we win the Big Ten and play in a BCS bowl, he might feel his work here is finished. But if we don't (even if we win the West but get handed to us in Indy) then I think the competitor in him and his allegiance to coach Fitz are likely to keep him here. Ant was a different story BECAUSE he had injuries and one more this season may have closed a book on him- ceiling wasn't getting much higher/big risk.

That said, worst case scenario WITHOUT Clayton next season (which assumes we are coming off a BIG year this year), the new QB, who was a pretty good recruit (Marty or Smith) will have Moten AND Larkin as his 1 and 2 backs. He will have Hance, Doles, Butler, and Vogel back (plus Klock and/or any other underclassman that might be put to duty).

Nagel and Skowronek plus Brown and Solo comes back from injury. And I like our frosh and redshirt frosh receivers too.

Defensively we will have a year of experience for our currently "inexperienced" D-Line. Our backers will likely be Fox, Fisher and Glackin as one of the Mikes this year may be put to Sam unless one of the frosh emerge.

Secondary returns Hartage at CB plus a more-used Campbell and Bullock who play nickel slot corners this year and Williams back from injury. Safety will be a little bit of a concern.

We will have a young kicker (hopefully Kuhbander solidifies this year and becomes Budzien-like in longevity and security) and a new punter that will really just need to hang and allow for a fair catch and let the defense do their work. KR and PR will likely be the same next year as this year plus (hopefully) Solo back to form as close as can be.

Coaches will be here because even with a BIg Ten Title I don't see many people trying to purge Hank or Mick due to their age and it would really just be rental and I don't see them necessarily looking for greener pastures.

So, no, I don't see rebuild unless things REALLY become unraveled off the field.

It's great that some people are already worrying about the 2018 season. Personally, I am more concerned with what we do in 2017, some of which will have a bearing on 2018.

The lack of an experienced QB in 2018 is a worry, but that is always going to be the case when both the starter and the back-up are ready to graduate/leave the program.

It's great that some people are already worrying about the 2018 season. Personally, I am more concerned with what we do in 2017, some of which will have a bearing on 2018.

The lack of an experienced QB in 2018 is a worry, but that is always going to be the case when both the starter and the back-up are ready to graduate/leave the program.
I'm concerned about 2022. Everyone on the current team will be gone. We're gonna suck big time!:(

Not trying to shout you down, but this needs to be the year we are all in for a title. If Alviti is number 2, we have to prepare him to step in at a moments notice. I think there will be a lot of tight games in conference and I an not sure there will be opportunities to put in the developmental guy. Post Clayton, we'll likely have the 3 way QB battle In store.

Yes, there will be growing pains after Clayton, but the upcoming QB's have promise and I think one will eventually separate from the pack. We have no idea what we have there now and likely won't know anything until they assume th starters role.
I agree, except for the Alviti part. no offense to him, and I am terribly disappointed that he didn't don't get to do more; however, in his fifth year in the program, he must have not shown much. Meantime, if a third year soph isn't better, then yeah, we might struggle next year

I'm concerned about 2022. Everyone on the current team will be gone. We're gonna suck big time!:(
This! It's college football. It is especially iffy when a QB graduates, but team wide, I don't see this year as rebuilding any more than others.
also, for al the great strides we made at QB last year the Passing game and offense in general was very poorly ranked.
Northwestern Wildcats
1st BIG10 FBS | 0-0
  • Passing Yards
    100th
    247.7 PYPG
  • Rushing Yards
    181st
    145.3 RYPG
  • Total Yards Per Game
    133rd
    392.9 YPG

I agree, except for the Alviti part. no offense to him, and I am terribly disappointed that he didn't don't get to do more; however, in his fifth year in the program, he must have not shown much. Meantime, if a third year soph isn't better, then yeah, we might struggle next year

Being in competition with a future NFL QB is probably a bitch for earning playing time.

That's crazy talk! WTF?

Seriously, I agree. Will be interesting to see who emerges between Smith and Marty.

He was injured for portion of his career and CT got ahead of him.

We like the young guys behind him, but it's going to be tough replacing JJTBC. He's been the only thing working in our offense for pretty long stretches over the past couple seasons. And the OL has under-performed, but replacing a couple guys won't be pleasant.

On the other side of the all, Igwebuike, Queiro, Watkins (assuming he can't get a medical hardship year), and Lancaster will all be tough to replace.

I'm really hoping Thorson is back.
What are the possibilities of a qb grad tranzfer?

I don't think we need a QB transfer. ASmith will be the second coming of ZKustok. I think our cupboards are not as bare as some of the bloggers are insinuating. But if we get a transfer like Wisconsin did with Russ Wilson- then count me all in.

Last edited:

It a figment of your imagination. Unless he improved x 10 this offseason he is an average BigTen QB at best.

I do remember starting a freshman QB not too long ago and winning 10 games that season, so there's hope regardless!

Just shows what an excellent QB Kain was!;)
Fearless. I dont even think he got many snaps in practice the year he burned his shirt. I think Persa was hurt, then Watkins was in panic mode and didnt belong.
I felt our 2 qb system actually worked. Keeping a future nfl starter on the bench was acceptable with Kain at QB.

I believe that Coach Fitzgerald can be criticized for his approach to our early opponents.
It seems that he goes in with the attitude"that we our a B1G team and can over power the lesser teams" Last year was the classic example with ISU being particularly disheartening when their D line had its way with NU.
I would love to see NU try to "open things up" right from the beginning and prevent teams from game planning JJ
Maybe some of our backups could get more experience with a more aggressive approach to the early games

I believe that Coach Fitzgerald can be criticized for his approach to our early opponents.
It seems that he goes in with the attitude"that we our a B1G team and can over power the lesser teams" Last year was the classic example with ISU being particularly disheartening when their D line had its way with NU.
I would love to see NU try to "open things up" right from the beginning and prevent teams from game planning JJ
Maybe some of our backups could get more experience with a more aggressive approach to the early games
I remember in years past (4 0r 5 years, maybe more) we discussed the idea that Fitz kept the play book small with "lesser" opponents. It didn't seem like that has been the case recently. The past couple of years it seems like we just struggle to do the basics and rely on the D to keep us in the games.

I wonder if it is better to show a bigger play book and make future teams prepare for more options while working out the timing against "lesser" teams or try to surprise with plays that have only been attempted in practice. I don't feel that we have done very well with trick plays in a long time so I kind of vote for keeping the book as open and it has been mastered.

Won't happen this year, dock. After steam rolling Nevada we are going to Duke and kicking some serious butt. Prepare to have a great trip and a big victory.

I don't think we need a QB transfer. ASmith will be the second coming of ZKustok. I think our cupboards are not as bare as some of the bloggers are insinuating. But if we get a transfer like Wisconsin did with Russ Wilson- then count me all in.[/

I am not a talent evaluator, but it seemed to me, at least on the sidelines, that Smith had a lot of zip on his throws.

Dont you think McCall had something to do with his development? Wernt you and Turk hard on McCall?
I was because he has an extremely hard time adjusting his system, which is built for a veteran QB. The result has been an awful offense, PERIOD. That said, I suppose he has shown that he can develop a QB over time and has produced interesting offenses when he has a veteran. That said, although the offense was much better last year (although still lower half of the NCAA) I suspect it will be our strength and that our offense could be ranked in the Top 40 offenses in the NCAA. I believe our defense will have a letdown but our offense will do more than make up for it. Potentially a credit to McCall.

I think Thorson is going to be really really good. I think he leaves, regardless of our win loss record (Don't understand the logic of staying??). And I think he has the tools that will make him a first round NFL pick. Those passes he threw last year were never thrown by a NU QB since I've been watching the team. His pocket presence was so much better last year as well.

The one two of CT and JJTBC should produce 8+ regular season wins, with 8 as par. Although I have hope for 10 prior to a bowl. And I might add that we have one helluva TE in Dickerson. GladesKat says stars don't mean a thing but I side with Ecat that stars mean something. Not surprising that Thorson, JJTBC, and Dickerson were all 4 stars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT