ADVERTISEMENT

This Team

ThatkidfromHolland

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
This season was an awesome. To go into the season predicted to be 13-14th and finish 2nd is amazing. We first saw this team could play with anyone when an undefeated NU team lost by 1 point to #10 ranked Auburn. Then we saw the resilience of this team after a tragic loss to Pitt when they rebounded in Breslin Center toppling MSU lead by Buie with 20 points. Audige was true 2 way threat helping carry NU with scoring and defense during the offseason. Highlighted by a 28 point outing against DePaul. Buie struggled with his shot falling early but was still the motor that drove the cats offense. The team then rebounded from another bad loss by beating Illinois by 13 with Audige leading the way in scoring yet again with 21.

Carrying the momentum into Indiana the cats won another game against a future tourney bound B1G team. Then dropping a couple and the going 4-2 during the COVID stretch. Berry had his best half scoring during this stretch dropping 22 in the first half against Nebraska. The revenge game against OSU was Barnhizers coming out party as he dropped 19 to lead the cats to victory. Little did we know that the next week would truly show how special this team was. #1 Purdue, the Goliath of the B1G, taken down by the cats. The cats then showed this was no lucky game by taking down #15 Indiana yet again. The cats would go on to clinch 2nd place with a win against Rutgers before going onto only their 2nd NCAA tournament appearance in history. Staying undefeated in the 1st round by showing they were clearly the better team than Boise. MN played the best game of his career with a career high of 17 against UCLA but it was the best team the cats have played this season and they didn’t shoot well enough to secure a victory. They lost a hard fought 5 point game to end the season.

This was an extremely fun team to watch. Not just for NU fans. They played defense first, played team ball, and gave it their all. Their defense was anchored by the emergence of Big Matt who was an absolute wall. The peskiness of Barnhizer and length of Beran helped make the post double so effective. Berry and Audige played the passing lanes like no other and created steals for themselves and teammates. Active hands all the way around. Audige earned himself DPOY in the B1G. Buie led the way offensively creating for others and making clutch shots. Buie deservedly was 1st team all B1G. Martinelli showed promise offensively and scored at points filling in for an injured Roper. TVH showed great hustle and made lots of key plays and defensive effort down the stretch as a backup 5.

Thank you Cats. It was an amazing season and the best NU team ever. Congrats on giving us a season full of memories we’ll never forget.

TLDR: Go Cats

Definitely a season full of moments to savor. I think the highlight for me was watching the takedown of Purdue when Chase went into berserker mode starting at 3:43 and instigated a 17-6 run to win the game. That will be my enduring memory of quintessential Chase: 3 pointer, steal and dunk, mid-range jumper, 3 pointer, assist...

And I was commenting to Little Hungry today about how I would like to show the two diminutive guards on his middle school team a highlight reel of how Boo plays inside the paint to get shots. Boo's smarts and creativity amazed me this year. His ability to score amongst the trees was incredible.

This season was an awesome. To go into the season predicted to be 13-14th and finish 2nd is amazing. We first saw this team could play with anyone when an undefeated NU team lost by 1 point to #10 ranked Auburn. Then we saw the resilience of this team after a tragic loss to Pitt when they rebounded in Breslin Center toppling MSU lead by Buie with 20 points. Audige was true 2 way threat helping carry NU with scoring and defense during the offseason. Highlighted by a 28 point outing against DePaul. Buie struggled with his shot falling early but was still the motor that drove the cats offense. The team then rebounded from another bad loss by beating Illinois by 13 with Audige leading the way in scoring yet again with 21.

Carrying the momentum into Indiana the cats won another game against a future tourney bound B1G team. Then dropping a couple and the going 4-2 during the COVID stretch. Berry had his best half scoring during this stretch dropping 22 in the first half against Nebraska. The revenge game against OSU was Barnhizers coming out party as he dropped 19 to lead the cats to victory. Little did we know that the next week would truly show how special this team was. #1 Purdue, the Goliath of the B1G, taken down by the cats. The cats then showed this was no lucky game by taking down #15 Indiana yet again. The cats would go on to clinch 2nd place with a win against Rutgers before going onto only their 2nd NCAA tournament appearance in history. Staying undefeated in the 1st round by showing they were clearly the better team than Boise. MN played the best game of his career with a career high of 17 against UCLA but it was the best team the cats have played this season and they didn’t shoot well enough to secure a victory. They lost a hard fought 5 point game to end the season.

This was an extremely fun team to watch. Not just for NU fans. They played defense first, played team ball, and gave it their all. Their defense was anchored by the emergence of Big Matt who was an absolute wall. The peskiness of Barnhizer and length of Beran helped make the post double so effective. Berry and Audige played the passing lanes like no other and created steals for themselves and teammates. Active hands all the way around. Audige earned himself DPOY in the B1G. Buie led the way offensively creating for others and making clutch shots. Buie deservedly was 1st team all B1G. Martinelli showed promise offensively and scored at points filling in for an injured Roper. TVH showed great hustle and made lots of key plays and defensive effort down the stretch as a backup 5.

Thank you Cats. It was an amazing season and the best NU team ever. Congrats on giving us a season full of memories we’ll never forget.

TLDR: Go Cats

Great post. Appreciate your insights throughout the season. One of my favorite posters on WR.

Definitely a season full of moments to savor. I think the highlight for me was watching the takedown of Purdue when Chase went into berserker mode starting at 3:43 and instigated a 17-6 run to win the game. That will be my enduring memory of quintessential Chase: 3 pointer, steal and dunk, mid-range jumper, 3 pointer, assist...

And I was commenting to Little Hungry today about how I would like to show the two diminutive guards on his middle school team a highlight reel of how Boo plays inside the paint to get shots. Boo's smarts and creativity amazed me this year. His ability to score amongst the trees was incredible.
Chase is one of my top 5 all time favorite Cats. Maybe top 2. Maybe top 1. Recency error, surely, but I am partial to defense. He rocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT