ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson Torn ACL

It would be out of character for NU, but we would have to be a good destination for a transfer QB. What we lack in program tradition or a giant fan base, we more than make up for with recent success, stable coaching, a lakefront facility and the power of the Chicago market/Bristol Medill mafia. Michigan already got its transfer. Why couldn’t we get someone for the fall?
That transfer would have to come over knowing full well regardless of what he does, the second Thorson is healthy enough to play, he will.

Willy, this is not the NFL where you go searching for backup QBs by calling other GMs. And we have not been looking for grad transfers at QB since you started shaving.
Come on don't be naive as you must realize that potential grad. transfers can be contacted through numerous back channels. Also why not start right about now, when the need is great. You also remember that they have brought in 5th year transfers at other positions, including two last season, right?

Does anyone have insight into why TJ Green isn't making more progress in getting on the depth chart?
He's a walk on for a reason. Do walk ons QBs progress up the depth chart at other P5 programs? Does this fascination of the backup walk on QB occur at other schools - shades of matt danielson with Green here

He's a walk on for a reason. Do walk ons QBs progress up the depth chart at other P5 programs? Does this fascination of the backup walk on QB occur at other schools - shades of matt danielson with Green here
He also did not have any Power 5 offers.

Why aren't people talking about Aidan Smith? He's the guy with a scholarship. The battle is going to be between Smith and Marty, not Marty and Green.
I agree. I was ,and am impressed with Smith. I think Smith has the strongest arm of them all. The staff will pick the best one and run the offense around their strengths. Losing Clayton hurts, but I have faith in our recruiting and player development.

It would be out of character for NU, but we would have to be a good destination for a transfer QB. What we lack in program tradition or a giant fan base, we more than make up for with recent success, stable coaching, a lakefront facility and the power of the Chicago market/Bristol Medill mafia. Michigan already got its transfer. Why couldn’t we get someone for the fall?
And certainly a "plus" degree offering. For a smart kid coming out of a less academic school, a Masters from NU would be an excellent life hedge.

He's a walk on for a reason. Do walk ons QBs progress up the depth chart at other P5 programs? Does this fascination of the backup walk on QB occur at other schools -

Um, wasn't Baker Mayfield a walk-on at Oklahoma? And maybe even at Texas Tech?

It appears that walk-ons do move up the depth charts at teams that make the final four.

Reactions: ricko654321
Um, wasn't Baker Mayfield a walk-on at Oklahoma? And maybe even at Texas Tech?

It appears that walk-ons do move up the depth charts at teams that make the final four.
Agree - every team should be starting their walk on QB's next year. Mayfield isn't the anomaly, it's everyone else wasting scholarships on QB's.

Wasn't Mayfield a walk on after transferring? I saw a few walkon's yesterday do quite well, especially some walk on at Auburn. Caught 6 or 7 passes for over 100 yards.

I think Teddy is on to something. I got a feeling that he knows of a transfer grad student. He usually doesn't post something unless it is a credible lead and he often is first to break the news. He been spot on the last few years. It's a tease right now. Damn Teddy!

I think Teddy is on to something. I got a feeling that he knows of a transfer grad student. He usually doesn't post something unless it is a credible lead and he often is first to break the news. He been spot on the last few years. It's a tease right now. Damn Teddy!

Because of a throwaway line at the end of the article?

so he gets cut on in February, the quickest return is 9 months. Errrrrr. So he comes back for what, 3 games? Looks like a medical redshirt to me. Really bad timing.
Last time I checked there were more than 2-3 weeks in January.

Didn’t he write that Cormac Ryan was destined for NU on the hoops side? The heir to BMac? That turned out to be wrong. Not sure he’s as credible around the rumor mill as you think.

Um... wasn't Baker Mayfield a walk on?

I actually saw the other posts on that, but I though posting it again would be helpful.

Because of a throwaway line at the end of the article?
Yes. Plus it makes sense. Nobody really in the pipeline for competition if a stud comes in. Such stud would have a turnkey team that will be ranked and be playing a stud schedule this year. A lot of limelight. Teddy planted the seed. He has come through with other big news and is usually first to bring out any news. He obviously has a connection to the football offices. Even the thorson news, he beat everyone on it. Teddy knows.

Um... wasn't Baker Mayfield a walk on?

I actually saw the other posts on that, but I though posting it again would be helpful.
OK - all you Baker Mayfield posters answer the question, why isn't TJ Green progressing up the depth chart? Apparently the fact that he is a walk-on with 0 P5 offers has nothing to do with it. Why can't NU turn walk-on's into starting QB's, like Oklahoma did, once? Jeez

Come on don't be naive as you must realize that potential grad. transfers can be contacted through numerous back channels. Also why not start right about now, when the need is great. You also remember that they have brought in 5th year transfers at other positions, including two last season, right?
And good grad transfer QBs are quite rare. If a QB with that much experience is looking for new playing options, there is a reason behind it.

And good grad transfer QBs are quite rare. If a QB with that much experience is looking for new playing options, there is a reason behind it.

Wait a minute, you mean to say that there isn't a bunch of Russell Wilson's out there every year? ;)o_O

There are a bunch of Russel Wilsons and Baker Mayfield's, not sure WTF NU is doing recruiting 4 year scholarship QB's.

Well according some of our bretheran here, we already have the next walk-on Baker Mayfield stud on the roster in TJ Green. By the way, I would be thrilled if TJ proved all the doubters wrong and be the next coming of Mayfield or even his father, but the odds of that happening are not good.

Best wishes to all our QB candidates, hope to see a star emerge from the ranks.

Best news here is the medical estimates for full recovery.

Best news six months from now would be that CT is fully recovered, braced up, practicing and ready to set some records - for CT and NU, let this happen. CT has surely earned another season of setting records to raise his draft number.

Maybe CT gets only half a season or maybe CT is just unable to play. Then let's choose a QB already on the team.

It's still weird how he did this. It happens I know, but he was just running down a grass field, I don't think anyone touched him. And we aren't talking about the evil playing surfaces where the carpet seams grabbed hold of feet. Did this stuff happen decades ago? I'm wondering if the evolutionary biologist GaldesKat can be summoned. Is it something we are eating? Is it the vaccines? How the hell are our ACL's so tear-able that they rip to hell, just running down the field? I mean team NFL rosters in the 50s and 60s didn't experience this. All the NFL greats played every game, every year. Now, if a player makes it through an entire season without missing a game, he is lucky. And don't get me started with baseball and how those players all get hurt and all they do is stand in an outfield or swing at a pitch.

Something is wrong and we have to figure out what is going on. Fans wanna know.

It's still weird how he did this. It happens I know, but he was just running down a grass field, I don't think anyone touched him. And we aren't talking about the evil playing surfaces where the carpet seams grabbed hold of feet. Did this stuff happen decades ago? I'm wondering if the evolutionary biologist GaldesKat can be summoned. Is it something we are eating? Is it the vaccines? How the hell are our ACL's so tear-able that they rip to hell, just running down the field? Fans wanna know.

Are you talking about Wootton or Thorson?

If Thorson, did you even watch the game?

Are you talking about Wootton or Thorson?

If Thorson, did you even watch the game?
yea, he caught a pass and was racing towards the endzone and sorta lost his footing it seemed with a defender closing in.
I think these kids are getting too big, their muscles getting too big but their tendons and ligs don't match. Too many injuries in sports now. Something is wrong. Never happened to the NFL greats back in the 50s and 60s but now it happens with even baseball players standing in the outfield or swinging at a pitch, few play 162 games, and few NFL players can go the distance. I got a playoff fantasy draft for Thursday, I have to consider some strategies.

yea, he caught a pass and was racing towards the endzone and sorta lost his footing it seemed with a defender closing in.
I think these kids are getting too big, their muscles getting too big but their tendons and ligs don't match. Too many injuries in sports now. Something is wrong. Never happened to the NFL greats back in the 50s and 60s but now it happens with even baseball players standing in the outfield or swinging at a pitch, few play 162 games, and few NFL players can go the distance. I got a playoff fantasy draft for Thursday, I have to consider some strategies.

You're making things up. He was clearly contacted by the defender before he started going down, his cleats caught in the ground, and the combined weight of him and the defender caused his knee to buckle.

Unless there is a 100% chance Thorson is out for the whole season next year, I would rate the chances at *ZERO* that Fitz & Co. look at any possibility of a grad transfer at QB.

For better or worse, Fitz has established that he will always put an individual player or coach before the overall/incremental welfare of the program - if Baker Mayfield himself had an extra year of eligibility and wanted to step in as a grad transfer, Fitz would turn him down if there was a chance Thor could come back by mid-season (maybe Mayfield is a bad example here, because I think he's a douche and would actually never want him in Evanston, but my point stands).

Reactions: zeek55

Apologies for a separate post, but the link to ESPN video got garbled above... same point stands:

The problem with a (hypothetical) grad transfer is not only a matter of who, but of timing. How in the world could the coaching staff justify bringing someone new on board without knowing CT's prognosis? And that won't be fully known until this summer, which may be too late for a transfer. CT has to have first shot at being QB, assuming he wants to. Talking about Smith or Green or Marty until Fitz would announce it is probably pointless since the staff is so secretive. Maybe we watch the order of the wall posters.

Unless there is a 100% chance Thorson is out for the whole season next year, I would rate the chances at *ZERO* that Fitz & Co. look at any possibility of a grad transfer at QB.

For better or worse, Fitz has established that he will always put an individual player or coach before the overall/incremental welfare of the program
This of course ignores the fact that Fitz took three grad transfers in 2017: Klock, Otto and Brown......

Reactions: willycat
So it is between Green and Marty, initially. I liked what I saw of Green in a practice, although practices are just practices. GCG seemed to think that Green just doesn't have a chance. Dunno maybe GCG could comment. I know GCG had some comments about Marty that were pretty positive and pumped me up enough to watch Marty's tapes. Guy looked pretty good on tape. Definitely is a better runner than CT and aggressive but doesn't have CT Top Gun. Nonetheless, we have a team that is loaded to win a division. Marty looks like he is quite a talent. I hope we don't limit the playbook to 5 plays like we did when CT was a freshman. I've seen way too many OC allow the full playbook to be on display for freshmen and redshirt freshman (including the Georgia QB, and ND sub yesterday) with very positive results.

Looks like a medical redshirt for CT if this isn't career ending. I can't see him coming back for November or just a few games unless our new QB is struggling.
CT had limited development at QB in HS. That might have been part of what led to the restricted playbook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT