ADVERTISEMENT

Thorson Torn ACL

I've seen it be as little as 6 months in the past, but I'm guessing that neither NU nor CT would want to rush him back. I thought that 9 months was more like the average than the quickest return time. Would guess that it's unlikely he makes the start of the season, but that he could come back sometime during the year if he wanted to.

(Edit: should caveat this by #NotADoctor as well, and no idea of Clayton's situation specifically at all, just casual past observation of ACL injuries)
9 tends to be the quicker return. Getting fully back probably takes closer to 12-18 months That is a problem with the injury occurring in the Bowl game. Less time by a month or two for recovery prior to the next season. Remember Corey Wooten (sp) He sure was not the same when he came back. To be fair, I think his MCL was also involved.

The problem with a (hypothetical) grad transfer is not only a matter of who, but of timing. How in the world could the coaching staff justify bringing someone new on board without knowing CT's prognosis? And that won't be fully known until this summer, which may be too late for a transfer. CT has to have first shot at being QB, assuming he wants to. Talking about Smith or Green or Marty until Fitz would announce it is probably pointless since the staff is so secretive. Maybe we watch the order of the wall posters.
Why not bring in a grad transfer, ASAP. Thorson can still remain on the roster during his surgery and rehab and it's been posted that NU still has two scholarships to give, so there's that. The QB's currently on the roster consist of a walk-on, with no Power 5 offers and two guys who were NU's second tier choices. Someone posted on the Rock that there are a pretty large contingent of potential grad transfers, so it does appear to be a possible option.

The only ONLY upside to the timing of Thorson's injury is that the candidates to replace him will be able to take a ton of reps in spring and fall. Hopefully the decision is made sooner than later, ideally during/after spring ball so that the starter can take full reps in fall practice. If I recall correctly, Thorson was only named the starter a couple weeks before the opener (at least officially anyway).

In terms of a "med red," every knee injury and recovery is different. To qualify, he would have to be medically unable to play for all of 2018 (including a bowl game) AND want to come back. I kind of get the feeling he would rather "start the clock" on his NFL career rather than come back for a sixth year, but perhaps he will decide another year at NU would be better to put reps on tape for NFL teams and prove that he's healthy rather than getting into camp or on a practice squad.
Would it possibly have to do with how his replacement does? I mean it one of the three really does well and progresses, would CT want to or would they want to bring back CT to start after a full year of the other guy playing and progressing?

He's a walk on for a reason. Do walk ons QBs progress up the depth chart at other P5 programs? Does this fascination of the backup walk on QB occur at other schools - shades of matt danielson with Green here
I don't know where you get "fascination", I'm just asking a simple question. In TJ's case, it's more of a personal interest: his family lives near me, and TJ went to grade school with my daughter for a couple years.

I was always curious why he didn't get more offers, as he played well for one of the best HS programs in the KC metro. Even still, I thought he had a shot at appearing on the depth chart eventually. (YOU KNOW, BECAUSE BAKER MAYFIELD WON THE HEISMAN AND ALL. /s) Is he lacking physical development, mechanics/accuracy, or work ethic?

Would it possibly have to do with how his replacement does? I mean it one of the three really does well and progresses, would CT want to or would they want to bring back CT to start after a full year of the other guy playing and progressing?

Yes, we would want him back. No idea on what Thorson might want.

I don’t understand the timetable. Corey Wootton blew out his ACL (and other things) in a bowl game and was able to play game 1 of the next season.

Granted, it took Corey Wootton a while to fully recover, but a pocket passing QB and a 290 Pound DE perhaps have a different recovery threshold to be effective.

I think it’s too early to assume Thorson can’t be ready to go game 1 of next season.

http://blog.gameready.com/blog/acl-surgery-recovery-101-timeline-tips
But CW sure was not the same when he came back. He got better during the season but even by the end, I don't think he got back to his pre injury level. Of course, I think his MCL was also involved and not sure the effect of that. I have a Brother in Law who is a nut and was supposedly back to playing club hockey within a month or two of ACL surgery.

I don’t understand the timetable. Corey Wootton blew out his ACL (and other things) in a bowl game and was able to play game 1 of the next season.

Granted, it took Corey Wootton a while to fully recover, but a pocket passing QB and a 290 Pound DE perhaps have a different recovery threshold to be effective.

I think it’s too early to assume Thorson can’t be ready to go game 1 of next season.

http://blog.gameready.com/blog/acl-surgery-recovery-101-timeline-tips
To be fair, I don't think this is necessarily the timeline for trying to play at an elite level. One of the biggest problems is during that first 6 weeks, lose a lot of muscle so there is likely more to recovery

It seems that at least the plan is fairly clear.....We think our defense will again be solid....our running game should be good.....So conservative game plan where the QB is a game manager (where is Rex Grossman when you need him) with the ability to add to the run game....and pass enough to keep opposing defenses honest....AND not loose the game for us...Also the kicking game will be important and Hunter the Punter is gone correct? Also Luke Otto... Can we assume that the O-Line which should be an experienced line will be better and ready to go from the first game next year ? May also effect who ends up at Superback replacing Dickerson....may have to go with the best blocking SB....although Cameron Green seemed like he could be a really good receiver...was he a good blocker......or maybe we see a lot of that two SB look we saw a lot near the end of the year..............The problem is now different and appears it will need a new equation to solve it.

I'm with MR - if Rod Woodson can come back from an ACL on Opening Day by the Super Bowl, maybe Thorson can come back in seven months instead of 10. Doesn't mean he'll be as good, or that he even should come back then (I don't want him to be rushed), but he could be back by then if things go well.

Regardless, I feel sorry for the guy. 2018 should have been a great year for him - graduating, getting married, winning the Heisman - and now he'll think back on 2018 with a bit of sadness.
Two out of three ain't bad.

I don't know where you get "fascination", I'm just asking a simple question. In TJ's case, it's more of a personal interest: his family lives near me, and TJ went to grade school with my daughter for a couple years.

I was always curious why he didn't get more offers, as he played well for one of the best HS programs in the KC metro. Even still, I thought he had a shot at appearing on the depth chart eventually. (YOU KNOW, BECAUSE BAKER MAYFIELD WON THE HEISMAN AND ALL. /s) Is he lacking physical development, mechanics/accuracy, or work ethic?

I'm with you Artie. I find it ironic that the people who say that he can't possibly be any good because he's a WO are some of the same who talk about the great no star and 2 star recruits we get. There are definitely exceptions, and you have to look at players case by case.

Consider - Green was our next man up if Alviti went down, so he's already at the top of the depth chart. He has bloodlines of a Pro Bowl QB and he had fantastic numbers and an impressive HS resume, winning Gatorade Player of the Year and USA Today Offensive Player of the Year honors in Missouri. He threw for 2,638 yards and 33 touchdowns his senior season, piloting his team to a 12-2 record and the MSHSAA Class 6 Championship game in St. Louis. Let's put it this way - his production was way more impressive than Jason Whittakers was in HS (cue GCG with his that's not how it works spiel) and the coaches had him ahead of Aidan Smith despite his WO status. Also consider that one reason he may not have been as highly recruited despite his HS production was because of his size - he was young as a recruit and fact grew a couple inches and is now taller than either Dan Persa or Kain Colter to a Zak Kustok like 6'2". I'm not saying I think he is going to beat out Marty and the field to be our QB, but why is it so hard to fathom that he is a legitimate candidate to contend for the job?

Where is Gladeskat to talk about the unheralded recruits when you need him?

Reactions: Artie M.
But CW sure was not the same when he came back. He got better during the season but even by the end, I don't think he got back to his pre injury level. Of course, I think his MCL was also involved and not sure the effect of that. I have a Brother in Law who is a nut and was supposedly back to playing club hockey within a month or two of ACL surgery.

I’m pretty sure Corey could throw a football in early September 2009 as well as he did pre-injury (~1/1/2009). It’s not like anyone would be asking Thorson to take on 300 pound tackles in early September of 2018.

Thorson’s got to be able plant and throw off that right leg, but he does not have to launch his body into an OL like Wootton...

I’m pretty sure Corey could throw a football in early September 2009 as well as he did pre-injury (~1/1/2009). It’s not like anyone would be asking Thorson to take on 300 pound tackles in early September of 2018.

Thorson’s got to be able plant and throw off that right leg, but he does not have to launch his body into an OL like Wootton...

Well, if he is ready to get out there with a brace and all, then Fitz needs to do the right thing and fire Cushing and get in someone who can build an OL that can protect him.

I'm with you Artie. I find it ironic that the people who say that he can't possibly be any good because he's a WO are some of the same who talk about the great no star and 2 star recruits we get. There are definitely exceptions, and you have to look at players case by case.

Consider - Green was our next man up if Alviti went down, so he's already at the top of the depth chart. He has bloodlines of a Pro Bowl QB and he had fantastic numbers and an impressive HS resume, winning Gatorade Player of the Year and USA Today Offensive Player of the Year honors in Missouri. He threw for 2,638 yards and 33 touchdowns his senior season, piloting his team to a 12-2 record and the MSHSAA Class 6 Championship game in St. Louis. Let's put it this way - his production was way more impressive than Jason Whittakers was in HS (cue GCG with his that's not how it works spiel) and the coaches had him ahead of Aidan Smith despite his WO status. Also consider that one reason he may not have been as highly recruited despite his HS production was because of his size - he was young as a recruit and fact grew a couple inches and is now taller than either Dan Persa or Kain Colter to a Zak Kustok like 6'2". I'm not saying I think he is going to beat out Marty and the field to be our QB, but why is it so hard to fathom that he is a legitimate candidate to contend for the job?

Where is Gladeskat to talk about the unheralded recruits when you need him?
About all we have to go on is the current pecking order. That has been a pretty accurate indicator. My question is, was Alviti ahead of Green because of seniority and experience or did he significantly outperform green in practice?

This of course ignores the fact that Fitz took three grad transfers in 2017: Klock, Otto and Brown......

I want to tread lightly here because I can't tell if you honestly think they are apples-to-apples comparisons to the Thorson situation, which involves a senior QB who may or may not be available to play all, some, or none of next season.

Did Klock or Otto even play this year?

Well, if he is ready to get out there with a brace and all, then Fitz needs to do the right thing and fire Cushing and get in someone who can build an OL that can protect him.
Very salient point. However, shouldn't he be doing that in any case?

I want to tread lightly here because I can't tell if you honestly think they are apples-to-apples comparisons to the Thorson situation, which involves a senior QB who may or may not be available to play all, some, or none of next season.

Did Klock or Otto even play this year?
Klock played blocking SB all year wearing #49. Otto made nearly every kickoff. So yeah, they played at the expense of scholarship players Fitz recruited.

But he does have to move laterally

Exactly. I think all of the doomsayers and those calling for grad transfers are misguided. I feel pretty confident that Thorson will still be our man next fall. He may miss a game or two, but he'll be back. Let's show him and the team the confidence we have in them. By the time of the combine in 2019, he'll be 100%. All the best to Clayton!

Klock played blocking SB all year wearing #49. Otto made nearly every kickoff. So yeah, they played at the expense of scholarship players Fitz recruited.
Weren't they recruited (as transfers)?

9 tends to be the quicker return. Getting fully back probably takes closer to 12-18 months That is a problem with the injury occurring in the Bowl game. Less time by a month or two for recovery prior to the next season. Remember Corey Wooten (sp) He sure was not the same when he came back. To be fair, I think his MCL was also involved.
On the other side, Deshaun Watson hurt his in I think Week 6 or so? And he's now expected to be ready in time for OTAs. Jabari Parker in bball is sort of on the flip side as it's taken him ~12 months to recover

There clearly is a longer tail in plenty of circumstances, but it's a range starting as little as 6 months and going up to more than 12 months. Depending on the knee injury and the surgery. Which is prob why NU hasn't set any timetable yet.

I generally agree though it's not just mobility - I mean I'm not a doctor here but I would guess that if you come back while still in the process of working through / finishing up your rehab, then your knee might be more at risk of another tear. That's the primary issue of trying to come back too fast while the new knee ligaments are not yet 100% ready, right? More so than just ability to maneuver in the pocket.

I looked at the schedule, and my personal hope, if all goes well along the way, is that we could possibly have him practicing non contact in September, and then get him back after the bye week for the BIG B1G game to start conference season (excluding Purdue I guess) against Michigan on 9/29.

Exactly. I think all of the doomsayers and those calling for grad transfers are misguided. I feel pretty confident that Thorson will still be our man next fall. He may miss a game or two, but he'll be back. Let's show him and the team the confidence we have in them. By the time of the combine in 2019, he'll be 100%. All the best to Clayton!

I hope you are right but I struggle to see how he gets back in time for the game against Purdue. If I am Thorson, I am going to make really sure I am fully healthy before coming back and even after he comes back, he is likely going to play with some hesitancy and be a little rusty. If he comes back under the “normal” timeframe of nine months, he likely will miss at least the first 4 games or 33% of the season. Given all this, I just don’t see how NU can count on Thorson for next season unless we are willing to risk taking a big step back next year. I just don’t think that is in the program’s best interest and therefore it is incumbent on FItz to have a contingency plan. Perhaps they are comfortable enough with the current underclassmen at QB as their contingency plan. If not, the responsible thing to do is to consider a grad transfer who could come in and act a bridge between Thorson and some of the promising young QBs that we have recruited.

Last edited:
I hope you are right but I struggle to see how he gets back in time for the game against Purdue. If I am Thorson, I am going to make really sure I am fully healthy before coming back and even after he comes back, he is likely going to play with some hesitancy and be a little rusty. If he comes back under the “normal” timeframe of nine months, he likely will miss at least the first 4 games or 33% of the season. Given all this, I just don’t see how NU can count on Thorson for next season unless we are willing to risk taking a big step back next year. I just don’t think that is in the program’s best interest and therefore it is incumbent on FItz to have a contingency plan. Perhaps they are comfortable enough with the current underclassmen at QB as their contingency plan. If not, the responsible thing to do is to consider a grad transfer who could come in and act a bridge between Thorson and some of the promising young QBs that we have recruited.
There's really no normal time-frame here. After his surgery they'll figure out how long his recovery will take and when he'll come back. And after that it'll depend on whether he's faster or slower than that timetable.

CT'll either be 100% by August or sometime in late September or later. There is no way to be able to forecast anything with that kind of time-range.

He'll either be our QB the whole season or for 9-10 games or less. It's way too speculative right now.

There's really no normal time-frame here. After his surgery they'll figure out how long his recovery will take and when he'll come back. And after that it'll depend on whether he's faster or slower than that timetable.

CT'll either be 100% by August or sometime in late September or later. There is no way to be able to forecast anything with that kind of time-range.

He'll either be our QB the whole season or for 9-10 games or less. It's way too speculative right now.

Right. That’s why you wait until he has surgery to get a better idea. If the post surgery prognosis for recovery is lengthier than expected or still uncertain, then I think you have to at least explore the grad transfer option.

Right. That’s why you wait until he has surgery to get a better idea. If the post surgery prognosis for recovery is lengthier than expected or still uncertain, then I think you have to at least explore the grad transfer option.
Sure. I agree with you 100% on that.

He hasn't even had surgery yet so they don't know if his meniscus is a mess......

Good point. One would think the MRI would already have identified the extent of the injury, but not necessarily the case. I had surgery for a meniscus tear in August after an MRI, but the extent of the tear was reportedly not evident until the surgery itself.

One would think the MRI would already have identified the extent of the injury, but not necessarily the case. I had surgery for a meniscus tear in August after an MRI, but the extent of the tear was reportedly not evident until the surgery itself.

I second that. Years ago I had three meniscus arthroscopies done over about a 5-year period. All were successful procedures, but the damage each fixed was not apparent on MRI in any of them. ln fact the last one may have even been done without a preliminary MRI, I don't remember. I just recall the surgeon's words that meniscus damage can sometimes only be verified by drilling in -- and I saw the pictures he took each time.

Alaska, I hope your surgical results were as good as mine were each time.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
One would think the MRI would already have identified the extent of the injury, but not necessarily the case. I had surgery for a meniscus tear in August after an MRI, but the extent of the tear was reportedly not evident until the surgery itself.

I second that. ..,,,

Alaska, I hope your surgical results were as good as mine were each time.

Thanks.

This actually was my second and I am now no longer hobbling with a limp or experiencing discomfort. (Both knees were struck by knee airbags that went off when I was T-boned by a red light runner.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT