ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts: A Look Back and Forward

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
While it is going to take a while to get over the sting of 45-6, I figure now is just as good a time as any to share my thoughts on this season and the program's future.

A Look Back at 2015

This season is very conflicting. If we rewound back to August and someone said to me "you are going to go 10-2 with a New Year's Day bowl game this season," I would probably have laughed in their face. Then we came out and physically dominated Stanford in the opener, coasted through the Eastern Illinois game, handled a decent Duke team on the road, and managed a win in our annual OOC clunker against Ball State. Minnesota looked like one heck of a rebound game, only to come crashing back down to earth in consecutive weeks against Iowa and Michigan. However, the team showed some impressive grit in finding a way to win five straight B1G games, which is ALWAYS a pretty phenomenal accomplishment. Then we come crashing back down to earth against Tennessee.

In all, the conflict stems from the juxtaposition of 10 wins against 3 blowout losses. Northwestern football will always be about finding ways to win tight games and in many ways 2015 was about an "evening out" of the close losses we saw in 2013 and 2014. However, the blowout losses showed us just how far we have to go if we truly want to compete for championships.

I've said a number of times that I believe Fitz went to bat for his staff after the 2014 season, persuading Phillips that no changes were necessary because they were basically the same group of guys that led the team to a bowl victory. I've also said that I thought at least Springer could very easily have been handed his walking papers after last season and I haven't seen much out of our WRs this year that would convince me of his job security.

Based on his track record of loyalty and a 10 win season, I think it's doubtful that Fitz makes any changes going into 2016. However, I don't believe that's necessarily in the best interest of the program. While it is still my contention that a team and/or scheme can change with the same coaches in place, the offense has been particularly stagnant over the past three seasons. I understand that the OL and WR groups may have largely hamstrung McCall's ability to get creative, but I no longer believe that's a viable excuse. Changes are necessary, likely at least a position coach (or two) and definitely in terms of the general scheme, aggressiveness, and overall tone of our offense.

For an example of how that might work, look to Bob Stoops at Oklahoma as an example. While OU's level of success was obviously much higher than NU's (four straight 10+ win seasons and top 15 finishes from 2010-2013), Stoops took a step back after a disappointing 8-5 (5-4) season in 2014. Stoops made some difficult decisions, letting go his Co-OCs in "favorite son" Josh Heupel and longtime assistant Jay Norvell after a disappointing year for the offense while shifting around responsibilities in the remaining staff. He was able to bring in Lincoln Riley from East Carolina to reinvigorate the offense. Lo and behold, Oklahoma returned to prominence with an 11-1 (8-1) season carried in large party by an exciting offense (though getting Baker Mayfield cannot be overlooked).

I'm not willing to call for the jobs of specific coaches or identify coaches that I believe should be considered as replacements, nor do I think staff changes are necessarily required for an offensive overhaul. However, something drastic needs to be done and it needs to be done quickly. Whatever we have been doing the past three years simply hasn't been working. The blueprint for change is there. Now Fitz needs to decide whether it is necessary.

A Look Forward to 2016 (and beyond)

I continue to believe that the core is strong heading into 2016, particularly on defense. While it's going to hurt to replace Lowry and Gibson, I'll take a core group of Harris, Igwebuike, and Walker for starters and promising young players like Watkins, Queiro, Hall, Prater, Lancaster, Thompson (and others) with another year of development. We seem to be saying this every year, but we should again see the biggest/fastest defense in NU history come 2016.

On offense, Jackson is clearly a solid bell cow... but then I don't know what to think. Thorson should theoretically be better after an offseason as the lead QB and has a ton of physical ability, but needs to get a lot better. The WR group will be a lot of young and/or unproven guys. We need to replace Vitale at SB. The OL should be better just by being healthier, but has plenty to work on.

This is my "way too early" shot at the depth chart:

QB: Thorson / Alviti / Smith
RB: Jackson / Long / Anderson / Moten
WR: (No real clue)
SB: Taylor / Dickerson
LT: Hance / Olson
LG: Mertz / Mahoney
C: North / Park
RG: Park / Mahoney
RT: Doles / Olson

DE: Odenigbo / Gaziano
DT: Lancaster / Robbins
DT: Thompson / Kuhar
DE: Washington / Goens
Will: Prater / Walsh
Mike: Walker / Queiro
Sam: Hall / ?
CB: Harris / Hartage
CB: Watkins / McShepard
S: Igwebuike / McGee
S: Queiro / ?

Then there's the schedule. Opening with four straight home dates against WMU, ISU, Duke, and Nebraska isn't PARTICULARLY daunting, but trips to Iowa, Michigan State, and Ohio State is pretty daunting.

2016 could be a step back from 10 wins, but 2017 looks potentially pretty special based on the guys we would have back at that point (RS JR Thorson, SR Jackson, SR Walker, SR Igwebuike, etc.).

Last edited:
Q1 Is Vault transferring? Where is he?
Q2 Westphal was our highest rated DB recruit ever. Any chance we see him contribute in '16?
Q3 Surprised to see Robbins demoted to second string after starting all year on our best D in 20 years
Q4 Interesting to see the 3-3-4 alignment suggested. Does that mean we can play 12 on offense?

Q1 Is Vault transferring? Where is he?
Q2 Westphal was our highest rated DB recruit ever. Any chance we see him contribute in '16?
Q3 Surprised to see Robbins demoted to second string after starting all year on our best D in 20 years
Q4 Interesting to see the 3-3-4 alignment suggested. Does that mean we can play 12 on offense?

1 -- Part of the "I have no idea" at wideout. Seriously, I have no clue who might emerge from that group and what it will look like.

2 -- Couldn't care less about recruiting rankings. I've seen enough out of Watkins and McShepard that I feel confident in those guys as CB2 and CB3. If Westphal can pass them, more power to him.

3 -- That's as much a reflection on how I think Thompson is progressing than Robbins' performance. With a year to get bigger/strong, Thompson should be a very good player in 2016.

4 -- Damn it. Edited to put back in the second DE that I missed.

While it is going to take a while to get over the sting of 45-6, I figure now is just as good a time as any to share my thoughts on this season and the program's future.

A Look Back at 2015

This season is very conflicting. If we rewound back to August and someone said to me "you are going to go 10-2 with a New Year's Day bowl game this season," I would probably have laughed in their face. Then we came out and physically dominated Stanford in the opener, coasted through the Eastern Illinois game, handled a decent Duke team on the road, and managed a win in our annual OOC clunker against Ball State. Minnesota looked like one heck of a rebound game, only to come crashing back down to earth in consecutive weeks against Iowa and Michigan. However, the team showed some impressive grit in finding a way to win five straight B1G games, which is ALWAYS a pretty phenomenal accomplishment. Then we come crashing back down to earth against Tennessee.

In all, the conflict stems from the juxtaposition of 10 wins against 3 blowout losses. Northwestern football will always be about finding ways to win tight games and in many ways 2015 was about an "evening out" of the close losses we saw in 2013 and 2014. However, the blowout losses showed us just how far we have to go if we truly want to compete for championships.

I've said a number of times that I believe Fitz went to bat for his staff after the 2014 season, persuading Phillips that no changes were necessary because they were basically the same group of guys that led the team to a bowl victory. I've also said that I thought at least Springer could very easily have been handed his walking papers after last season and I haven't seen much out of our WRs this year that would convince me of his job security.

Based on his track record of loyalty and a 10 win season, I think it's doubtful that Fitz makes any changes going into 2016. However, I don't believe that's necessarily in the best interest of the program. While it is still my contention that a team and/or scheme can change with the same coaches in place, the offense has been particularly still over the past three seasons. I understand that the OL and WR groups may have largely hamstrung McCall's ability to get creative, but I no longer believe that's a viable excuse. Changes are necessary, likely at least a position coach (or two) and definitely in terms of the general scheme, aggressiveness, and overall tone of our offense.

For an example of how that might work, look to Bob Stoops at Oklahoma as an example. While OU's level of success was obviously much higher than NU's (four straight 10+ win seasons and top 15 finishes from 2010-2013), Stoops took a step back after a disappointing 8-5 (5-4) season in 2014. Stoops made some difficult decisions, letting go his Co-OCs in "favorite son" Josh Heupel and longtime assistant Jay Norvell after a disappointing year for the offense while shifting around responsibilities in the remaining staff. He was able to bring in Lincoln Riley from East Carolina to reinvigorate the offense. Lo and behold, Oklahoma returned to prominence with an 11-1 (8-1) season carried in large party by an exciting offense (though getting Baker Mayfield cannot be overlooked).

I'm not willing to call for the jobs of specific coaches or identify coaches that I believe should be considered as replacements, nor do I think staff changes are necessarily required for an offensive overhaul. However, something drastic needs to be done and it needs to be done quickly. Whatever we have been doing the past three years simply hasn't been working. The blueprint for change is there. Now Fitz needs to decide whether it is necessary.

I continue to believe that the core is strong heading into 2016, particularly on defense. While it's going to hurt to replace Lowry and Gibson, I'll take a core group of Harris, Igwebuike, and Walker for starters and promising young players like Watkins, Queiro, Hall, Prater, Lancaster, Thompson (and others) with another year of development. We seem to be saying this every year, but we should again see the biggest/fastest defense in NU history come 2016.

On offense, Jackson is clearly a solid bell cow... but then I don't know what to think. Thorson should theoretically be better after an offseason as the lead QB and has a ton of physical ability, but needs to get a lot better. The WR group will be a lot of young and/or unproven guys. We need to replace Vitale at SB. The OL should be better just by being healthier, but has plenty to work on.

Then there's the schedule. Opening with four straight home dates against WMU, ISU, Duke, and Nebraska isn't PARTICULARLY daunting, but trips to Iowa, Michigan State, and Ohio State is pretty daunting.

2016 could be a step back from 10 wins, but 2017 looks potentially pretty special based on the guys we would have back at that point (RS JR Thorson, SR Jackson, SR Walker, SR Igwebuike, etc.).
+1
one guy you didnt mention that may play a role is Goens at DE.
Our best defenders come back (Walker harris Godwin) and although nvh was solid, Watkins offered improved play against tenn and was phenomenal.
But perhaps the most improved player and maybe the most incredible will be Thompson. This guy got better and more visible as the season wore on. Although speculative, its possible that him and lancaster make up at least a 3rd team all big ten combo next year as both are good but thompson couldbecome exceptional really quick.

My concern is at de. Ifeadi just isnt big enuf. And Xwas was beaten badly in all 3 losses.

On offense its hard to know where to start but i thought olson was gone? i like the core of frazier north hence though. Dickerson needs to stay on the field as well.

+1
one guy you didnt mention that may play a role is Goens at DE.
Our best defenders come back (Walker harris Godwin) and although nvh was solid, Watkins offered improved play against tenn and was phenomenal.
But perhaps the most improved player and maybe the most incredible will be Thompson. This guy got better and more visible as the season wore on. Although speculative, its possible that him and lancaster make up at least a 3rd team all big ten combo next year as both are good but thompson couldbecome exceptional really quick.

My concern is at de. Ifeadi just isnt big enuf. And Xwas was beaten badly in all 3 losses.

On offense its hard to know where to start but i thought olson was gone? i like the core of frazier north hence though. Dickerson needs to stay on the field as well.

Frazier is done, Olson is back.

1 -- Part of the "I have no idea" at wideout. Seriously, I have no clue who might emerge from that group and what it will look like.

2 -- Couldn't care less about recruiting rankings. I've seen enough out of Watkins and McShepard that I feel confident in those guys as CB2 and CB3. If Westphal can pass them, more power to him.

3 -- That's as much a reflection on how I think Thompson is progressing than Robbins' performance. With a year to get bigger/strong, Thompson should be a very good player in 2016.

4 -- Damn it. Edited to put back in the second DE that I missed.
Seriously could NU possibly go to 3-4 D or is that totally out of the question. Odenigbo has totally unperformed and still feel he is to small for D lineman. Need at least 3 or 4 new/different WR's next season. Don't know if any redshirts can help and the only name I keep hearing from the incoming freshman class is Rees. Can moving guys like Vault, Yates or Anderson be a partial answer. Really hope that guys like Dickerson and Westphal can become studs, like the recruiting sites predicted. Finally still didn't see a lot of improvement in Thorson from game one on and behind him it's pretty bare. Eight wins next season would be very good but might need to settle for 6-6 and a winnable bowl game.

I think the defense is going to take a step back next year. Nobody is going to be able replace the production of Lowry and Gibson. I'm really not sure where the pass rush is going to come from.

Seriously could NU possibly go to 3-4 D or is that totally out of the question. Odenigbo has totally unperformed and still feel he is to small for D lineman. Need at least 3 or 4 new/different WR's next season. Don't know if any redshirts can help and the only name I keep hearing from the incoming freshman class is Rees. Can moving guys like Vault, Yates or Anderson be a partial answer. Really hope that guys like Dickerson and Westphal can become studs, like the recruiting sites predicted. Finally still didn't see a lot of improvement in Thorson from game one on and behind him it's pretty bare. Eight wins next season would be very good but might need to settle for 6-6 and a winnable bowl game.

DT play should be a strength next season. Don't think we want to take one of those guys off the field.

Thompson might be able to play 3-4 DE, but we don't have anyone who really fits that mold, nor that of a two-gap DT.

DT play should be a strength next season. Don't think we want to take one of those guys off the field.

Thompson might be able to play 3-4 DE, but we don't have anyone who really fits that mold, nor that of a two-gap DT.
Probably true but getting Odenigbo back into space sounds intriguing and couldn't Kuhar work as 2 gap DT?

Probably true but getting Odenigbo back into space sounds intriguing and couldn't Kuhar work as 2 gap DT?

Odenigbo isn't QUITE the athlete those around here make him out to be. He's a tremendous straight-line guy, but not terribly fluid. Kuhar's center of gravity is likely a little too high to be a stout 3-4 DT and his ability to anchor will be inhibited by his ACL injury.

I think the defense is going to take a step back next year. Nobody is going to be able replace the production of Lowry and Gibson. I'm really not sure where the pass rush is going to come from.
The good in this (if you can call it that) is that the offense will be exposed for what it is--bad!

A Look Back at 2015

Based on his track record of loyalty and a 10 win season, I think it's doubtful that Fitz makes any changes going into 2016. However, I don't believe that's necessarily in the best interest of the program. While it is still my contention that a team and/or scheme can change with the same coaches in place, the offense has been particularly still over the past three seasons. I understand that the OL and WR groups may have largely hamstrung McCall's ability to get creative, but I no longer believe that's a viable excuse. Changes are necessary, likely at least a position coach (or two) and definitely in terms of the general scheme, aggressiveness, and overall tone of our offense.

Excellent post +100

Especially the following:

"However, the blowout losses showed us just how far we have to go if we truly want to compete for championships.

Based on his track record of loyalty and a 10 win season, I think it's doubtful that Fitz makes any changes going into 2016. However, I don't believe that's necessarily in the best interest of the program. While it is still my contention that a team and/or scheme can change with the same coaches in place, the offense has been particularly still over the past three seasons. I understand that the OL and WR groups may have largely hamstrung McCall's ability to get creative, but I no longer believe that's a viable excuse. Changes are necessary, likely at least a position coach (or two) and definitely in terms of the general scheme, aggressiveness, and overall tone of our offense."

It's really great that you addressed coaching in some detail, since it is somewhere around 50% of the problem. This doesn't change, nothing will change, except maybe Thorson will get a bit better, Jackson will have to have the ball even more, if that is possible, and we will continue to waste at least 25% of our plays on stupid calls.

I agree. Thompson and Lancaster are absolute beasts cooking in the oven -and the timer bell is about to ring.

Re: the WRs, we haven't gotten great play from that position group for a few years now. We barely heard the name of Christian Jones in the bowl game. How much of that can be attributed to coaching versus recruiting?

A Look Back at 2015

Based on his track record of loyalty and a 10 win season, I think it's doubtful that Fitz makes any changes going into 2016. However, I don't believe that's necessarily in the best interest of the program. While it is still my contention that a team and/or scheme can change with the same coaches in place, the offense has been particularly stagnant over the past three seasons. I understand that the OL and WR groups may have largely hamstrung McCall's ability to get creative, but I no longer believe that's a viable excuse. Changes are necessary, likely at least a position coach (or two) and definitely in terms of the general scheme, aggressiveness, and overall tone of our offense.

I would not be surprised to see Walker and Igwebuike go pro after next season, especially if the offense still stinks--and I think it will until we land a few real receivers.

I would not be surprised to see Walker and Igwebuike go pro after next season, especially if the offense still stinks--and I think it will until we land a few real receivers.

Eh... Neither is going to jump off the page to NFL scouts and both value an education.

A Look Back at 2015

Good stuff here. Thanks for posting, one name to add is Joseph Jones at LB...saw him spelling Smith for a few plays vs TN.

As for WR - Carr, Vault, Nagel and Roberts have the most experience...hoping Fessler, Green and Lees can work their way into the two deep.

Losing Fuessel, McHugh not returning and Macan Wilson not developing is really hurting us right now.

Good stuff here. Thanks for posting, one name to add is Joseph Jones at LB...saw him spelling Smith for a few plays vs TN.

As for WR - Carr, Vault, Nagel and Roberts have the most experience...hoping Fessler, Green and Lees can work their way into the two deep.

Losing Fuessel, McHugh not returning and Macan Wilson not developing is really hurting us right now.

Fuessel is a mirage. He never contributed. You can't lose something that you never really had.

McHugh caught 16 passes at 10 ypc this year and he brought in 9 the year before. He wasn't going to go all Zeke on us and rope in 90 balls next year.

I don't know if Wilson is a disappointment because I don't think anybody should have counted on him to be a gamebreaker at 6-0, 180 and no catches over three years in the program. Is that development or just not really the right recruit in the first place?

GCG, thanks. Just got home and needed to read something both useful and --basically--positive after a 4:30 wake up and thinking dark thoughts on the plane ride.

Question: Fitz talks often about accountability. The optics of not letting go at least one particular assistant ( for whom a grace season or two have already been extended) create, IMO, a very real dissonance between what he asks of his players and what he does as a HC. If, as you surmise, he does not dismiss any coaches, what does this say to players, recruits and fans?

Fuessel is a mirage. He never contributed. You can't lose something that you never really had.

McHugh caught 16 passes at 10 ypc this year and he brought in 9 the year before. He wasn't going to go all Zeke on us and rope in 90 balls next year.

I don't know if Wilson is a disappointment because I don't think anybody should have counted on him to be a gamebreaker at 6-0, 180 and no catches over three years in the program. Is that development or just not really the right recruit in the first place?
I can't look favorably on McHugh's time at NU after he coughed up that pass against Michigan for pic six. That was an awful attempt on that ball.

Would you actually add a DT or play two with the edge rush coming from the OLB?

As long as we are playing checkers with the pieces, is switching an athlete like Westphal to receiver a possibility? At least he is over 6'0" tall and should have quicks. No clue on his other abilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT