ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Indy

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
1) Attending the CCG was an amazing experience, and I'm so glad I did it. The hype and the building excitement was incredible.

2) I'd say we had about 30% of the crowd, the rest of which was scarlet. Being outnumbered 70/30 (which is also what the TV broadcast estimated, I'm told) may not seem that impressive, but 30% of 67,000 (2nd highest attendance in the game's history) is...20,000 fans. That's really, really good for a small private school of 8,000 students. It's the most 'Cats fans I've ever seen in one place outside of Ryan Field, despite our strong showings at bowl games in San Antonio, NYC, Nashville, Tampa, Jacksonville, etc. And we were LOUD. You can hear it on the highlights...when we scored to pull to within 3, it was pandemonium. It wasn't just the students who were jumping around like crazy A very cool memory.

3) The Ohio State fans I interacted with were generally pretty civil and polite. A few bad apples, but it could have been much worse.

4) This team could have been overwhelmed and packed it up after a disappointing first half, which was shambolic on both sides of the ball (aside from the Moten TD run). Instead, they came out firing in the 3rd quarter, leading to ~20 minutes of thrilling football. I'm proud of them & this program. I waited until the game was over to applaud the team as they ran off.

5) The more talented team -- by a significant margin -- won, pulling away late. We couldn't compete with their freakshow QB, who was unstoppable. Being banged up in our secondary in the 2nd half sure didn't help. He also had ALL DAY to throw. No wonder he carved us up. Would have preferred to see more attempts at blitzing and other stunts because we were getting gashed regardless. Way too much time. And I say that as a big fan of Hank.

6) NU 100% deserved to be in this game. We would have been neck-and-neck, or would have beaten, anyone else in the conference in that game, IMO. This was a special season, and I hope we keep the trajectory moving in the right direction, starting with a *bowl win.* I hope our alumni show up for the 'Cats wherever we end up. They're the 2018 B1G West champs and they deserve our support. Plus, a win would put us averaging exactly 9 wins per year over the past four years. We can improve, but that's a relative golden age, given our program's history.

Go 'Cats.

I just got home from Indy and want to second the thoughts on the crowd. I have no idea what it looked/sounded like on TV, but in the building it was nuts. Will definitely be a memory to cherish.

Boy, did we throw a couple of counter-punches. Coming out in the 3rd quarter like we did makes a real statement. I of course want to see us to start winning these types of games, but this was a step forward for the program. I'm excited for our bowl game and beyond.

I just got home from Indy and want to second the thoughts on the crowd. I have no idea what it looked/sounded like on TV, but in the building it was nuts. Will definitely be a memory to cherish.

Boy, did we throw a couple of counter-punches. Coming out in the 3rd quarter like we did makes a real statement. I of course want to see us to start winning these types of games, but this was a step forward for the program. I'm excited for our bowl game and beyond.
Our crowd sounded great on TV, especially in the 3rd quarter as @NJcatsfan noted.

You could hear our side going crazy when we made it a 3 point game.

I agree with all in the OP. Also, once we were down 3 and got the ball back, I said to villox that the NU sections were ready to explode if we went ahead. Alas, it wasn’t meant to be. But what a great job coming out of the half. Really fun for 3+ quarters.

With all the hype when it looked like we may be run off the field early, it looked to be a huge letdown, but the competitiveness allowed all of us to have our moments of exuberance.

My only complaint was the time and duration. Getting back to the hotel well after midnight wasn’t fun.

Reactions: Fitz51 and zeek55
With all the hype when it looked like we may be run off the field early, it looked to be a huge letdown, but the competitiveness allowed all of us to have our moments of exuberance.

My only complaint was the time and duration. Getting back to the hotel well after midnight wasn’t fun.
The commercial breaks actually didn't seem as long as the Fox/BTN breaks at home. Anyway, I saved a few bucks by driving right past the hotels and pulling into my driveway just before 2:30 central. The main thing was to be get on 65 BEFORE those 58 buses.

The commercial breaks actually didn't seem as long as the Fox/BTN breaks at home. Anyway, I saved a few bucks by driving right past the hotels and pulling into my driveway just before 2:30 central. The main thing was to be get on 65 BEFORE those 58 buses.

Fine for you, but I had a 6am flight. You’ll all be glad to know that Darren Rovell and I made it home safely.

Fine for you, but I had a 6am flight. You’ll all be glad to know that Darren Rovell and I made it home safely.
I met DR on my way to the Music City Bowl last year. Nice, energetic guy and both he and his dad are NU diehards.

Operation: Infiltrate ESPN is ongoing...

1) Attending the CCG was an amazing experience, and I'm so glad I did it. The hype and the building excitement was incredible.

2) I'd say we had about 30% of the crowd, the rest of which was scarlet. Being outnumbered 70/30 (which is also what the TV broadcast estimated, I'm told) may not seem that impressive, but 30% of 67,000 (2nd highest attendance in the game's history) is...20,000 fans. That's really, really good for a small private school of 8,000 students. It's the most 'Cats fans I've ever seen in one place outside of Ryan Field, despite our strong showings at bowl games in San Antonio, NYC, Nashville, Tampa, Jacksonville, etc. And we were LOUD. You can hear it on the highlights...when we scored to pull to within 3, it was pandemonium. It wasn't just the students who were jumping around like crazy A very cool memory.

3) The Ohio State fans I interacted with were generally pretty civil and polite. A few bad apples, but it could have been much worse.

4) This team could have been overwhelmed and packed it up after a disappointing first half, which was shambolic on both sides of the ball (aside from the Moten TD run). Instead, they came out firing in the 3rd quarter, leading to ~20 minutes of thrilling football. I'm proud of them & this program. I waited until the game was over to applaud the team as they ran off.

5) The more talented team -- by a significant margin -- won, pulling away late. We couldn't compete with their freakshow QB, who was unstoppable. Being banged up in our secondary in the 2nd half sure didn't help. He also had ALL DAY to throw. No wonder he carved us up. Would have preferred to see more attempts at blitzing and other stunts because we were getting gashed regardless. Way too much time. And I say that as a big fan of Hank.

6) NU 100% deserved to be in this game. We would have been neck-and-neck, or would have beaten, anyone else in the conference in that game, IMO. This was a special season, and I hope we keep the trajectory moving in the right direction, starting with a *bowl win.* I hope our alumni show up for the 'Cats wherever we end up. They're the 2018 B1G West champs and they deserve our support. Plus, a win would put us averaging exactly 9 wins per year over the past four years. We can improve, but that's a relative golden age, given our program's history.

Go 'Cats.
Obviously you were there but I have a hard time excepting that 70% of the crowd were OSU fans. First, many seats at these type of games are controlled and used by the sponsors of the game and also the Colts fans have a right to purchase seats as part of their ST package, also their are other plain old football fans , who just buy tickets to a championship or bowl game. Maybe 40-20 with 20% of others making up the crowd. Anyway it looked good to see lots of purple on the TV. The team and the fans did well.

Reactions: GreenBayCat
Obviously you were there but I have a hard time excepting that 70% of the crowd were OSU fans. First, many seats at these type of games are controlled and used by the sponsors of the game and also the Colts fans have a right to purchase seats as part of their ST package, also their are other plain old football fans , who just buy tickets to a championship or bowl game. Maybe 40-20 with 20% of others making up the crowd. Anyway it looked good to see lots of purple on the TV. The team and the fans did well.

From our side (section 209) it appeared that 75 to 80% of the attendance was red. It so uniform that it was really like Memorial Stadium in Nebraska, And that makes sense because, based on the proximity and familiarity, it’s like a home game for the Buckeyes.

One other thing - when someone on their side made a play, the volume of the crowd roar impressive, to put it mildly.

I don’t mean to minimize our turnout. However, the presence of dOSU fans was overwhelming. Those I talked to were civil and friendly.

The crowd assessments of 70% to 2/3 OSU by is correct from my perception. I thought the pre-game environs were fun. No problem with any OSU fans. I could not believe that I was sitting there when the CATS ran out.

The game was exhilarating. When we got to within 3, it was a pure adrenaline high. I have to commend Fitz, the staff and team for demonstrating grit and determination.

Shout-out to the students too. I know there was some skepticism that the 3,000+ rsvps would actually show up, but they were there and they were LOUD and totally into it. My sophomore daughter said it was the “hypest” sporting event she’s ever been to, which I assume is a good thing.

It was a great environment and a great game other than the final score. Cats definitely played hard and came back which made me proud.

So many good things to talk about, but holy cow, they had this great prime rib sandwich with potatoes and chips and horseradish sauce...I almost went back for two....a debate arose as to whether it was better than the one at Soldier Field. I argued that it was, but maybe it had something to do with the fact I was watching the Cats.

But most importantly and we say it all the time, but this is a great program and a great place for young men to go play football and have a great life afterward. I was reminded of that seeing several former players down the row from me.

And to see some other fans on that Fitz tweet saying things like “I love OSU but I’d send my son to play for you Pat”. The fact that such things are commonly said about our program is incredibly meaningful. I was proud to be a Cat at that game yesterday. (Oh and did I mention the sandwich...?)

NU might only have had 30% of the crowd, but it was the loudest NU cheering I have ever heard.

Missed seeing you PPD. Glad you enjoyed that 3rd quarter...it sure was special. Almost as enjoyable as hearing the roar of the NU crowd was the shocked silince of the 30-40,000 Buckeye faithful in attendance. Just wish we could have gotten over the hump.

Missed seeing you PPD. Glad you enjoyed that 3rd quarter...it sure was special. Almost as enjoyable as hearing the roar of the NU crowd was the shocked silince of the 30-40,000 Buckeye faithful in attendance. Just wish we could have gotten over the hump.
Couldn’t get there early enough for the Purple party this year. You are right, that 3rd quarter was as electric of an atmosphere that I have been part of with the Cats!

Reactions: Indy Cat93
It looks like the entire golf team was there, both men and women's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT