ADVERTISEMENT

Throw Me a Pity Party

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
And I won't attend.

There should be a 48-hour limit to the squawking about the call. Normally, it's 24, but because it's the first ever tournament, we get 48.

But after 48 hours, we need to can it. Here's why:

Focusing on one call distracts us from the bigger picture of 1) an historic season; 2) the accomplishments of the program under Collins. In the long run, these things are what matter most. The program is in great place.

I get that the refs blew a critical call at an absolutely pivotal moment, and it may have changed the trajectory of the game. But I always try to remember that in the heat of the moment, humans make mistakes. Like a Feli/Mystic post, $4It happens.

Harping on the call makes us victims. We are not victims of anything. Clutching to victimhood robs you of self determination and control of your emotions and your life. We had other opportunities to win the game. The refs did not steal it from us.

Now, to the extent that the call and CCC's T have created national buzz about NU, it's great. I love the fact that national media is talking about the game. Regardless of how you feel about Collin's response, we should recognize that the performance and near miss vs. Gonzaga has cast NU in a very positive national light. From a media perspective, I am not sure how the tourney could have turned out any better. We were involved in the two most discussed games of the first two round. Even though we lost, we won the media. That helps the program.

Totally agree. Though I'm reading all the stories and comments and I've spent some time saying, "what if...?" I am still proud and excited about this team and I like that the world knows who we are now.

NU made it exactly as far as an eighth seed is supposed to make it, and although Wisconsin yesterday and many other teams have proven otherwise, there's no shame in going 1-1 as an eighth seed in your first tourney. They fought like Wildcats in the second half yesterday, and at some point THAT is going to be the story.

In the 2018 tourney, which I'm 100% convinced NU will make as a top six seed, they may refer to this game and that call as a true turning point in the history of the NU basketball program. I bet B-Mac, Lindsey, and Law are at the gym right now getting ready.

Go Cats.

Totally agree. Let's focus on what the team accomplished this year and the bright future going forward.

And I won't attend.

There should be a 48-hour limit to the squawking about the call. Normally, it's 24, but because it's the first ever tournament, we get 48.

Focusing on one call distracts us from the bigger picture of 1) an historic season; 2) the accomplishments of the program under Collins. In the long run, these things are what matter most. The program is in great place.

I get that the refs blew a critical call at an absolutely pivotal moment, and it may have changed the trajectory of the game. But I always try to remember that in the heat of the moment, humans make mistakes. Like a Feli/Mystic post, $4It happens.

Harping on the call makes us victims. We are not victims of anything. Clutching to victimhood robs you of self determination and control of your emotions and your life. We had other opportunities to win the game. The refs did not steal it from us.

Now, to the extent that the call and CCC's T have created national buzz about NU, it's great. I love the fact that national media is talking about the game. Regardless of how you feel about Collin's response, we should recognize that the performance and near miss vs. Gonzaga has cast NU in a very positive national light. From a media perspective, I am not sure how the tourney could have turned out any better. We were involved in the two most discussed games of the first two round. Even though we lost, we won the media. That helps the program.

Change "may" to "probably" and I agree 100%. It is a damn near certainty that that call irreversibly changed the emotion and momentum of the game.

And I won't attend.

I can envision many scenarios where the tourney could have turned out much better, including completing the comeback against Gonzaga (after 22 down!) and advancing in subsequent rounds in the tourney. Final Four? That would have been much better.

But, yeah, I get the gist of your post.

Since 48 hours aren't up, I must say once again, WE WERE ROBBED!!!!

Totally agree. Though I'm reading all the stories and comments and I've spent some time saying, "what if...?" I am still proud and excited about this team and I like that the world knows who we are now.

NU made it exactly as far as an eighth seed is supposed to make it, and although Wisconsin yesterday and many other teams have proven otherwise, there's no shame in going 1-1 as an eighth seed in your first tourney. They fought like Wildcats in the second half yesterday, and at some point THAT is going to be the story.

In the 2018 tourney, which I'm 100% convinced NU will make as a top six seed, they may refer to this game and that call as a true turning point in the history of the NU basketball program. I bet B-Mac, Lindsey, and Law are at the gym right now getting ready.

Go Cats.
Aren't they in the air on their way home? Hope they get a nice greeting party in Evanston.

This call is NOT a normal call, due to the swiftness of the NCAA statement, which is fairly unprecedented. I'd wager that there might actually be a rules change as a result of this call.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This call is NOT a normal call, due to the swiftness of the NCAA statement, which is fairly unprecedented. I'd wager that there might actually be a rules change as a result of this call.
You mean like, as I posted earlier: "all officials must remove their head from their ass prior to the game"?

I'm over it. Really. Guess I'm more of a football fan than bball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT