ADVERTISEMENT

Today’s football schedule: dreading something I love

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
I really love college football. I really love opera (I know it’s not a common combination, but I when I was in high school, I lettered in 3 sports and played a first chair in the university orchestra my teacher was on the faculty of). I really learned to love sports and music.
For fifty years, I’ve had season tickets for college football (first the Cats, now Cal). Over the same period, I have held subscriptions to ether Lyric or SF Opera.
A few years ago, SF Opera stage the Ring Cycle. I had to admit to myself that when the date came, I dreaded having to go see it. I knew my legs would cramp up, my mind would wander, and I would have to fight off sleep over long stretches. I had seen this show before, and I was getting too old to get the enthusiasm up you need to appreciate something that long. At that time, while I realized my love of opera had limits, I did not think my love of college football had them.

Today, the Cats’ game starts in an hour, as they take their 9 game losing streak, stagnant offense and porous defense onto the field for humiliation by Purdue. As soon as it is over, I will pack myself up, go to Berkeley to watch Cal, with a 6 game losing streak, take on Stanford, also 3-7. It will be a long day. I guess my love of college football has limits, too!

Go Cats. Dispel my torpor and dread.

I really love college football. I really love opera (I know it’s not a common combination, but I when I was in high school, I lettered in 3 sports and played a first chair in the university orchestra my teacher was on the faculty of). I really learned to love sports and music.
For fifty years, I’ve had season tickets for college football (first the Cats, now Cal). Over the same period, I have held subscriptions to ether Lyric or SF Opera.
A few years ago, SF Opera stage the Ring Cycle. I had to admit to myself that when the date came, I dreaded having to go see it. I knew my legs would cramp up, my mind would wander, and I would have to fight off sleep over long stretches. I had seen this show before, and I was getting too old to get the enthusiasm up you need to appreciate something that long. At that time, while I realized my love of opera had limits, I did not think my love of college football had them.

Today, the Cats’ game starts in an hour, as they take their 9 game losing streak, stagnant offense and porous defense onto the field for humiliation by Purdue. As soon as it is over, I will pack myself up, go to Berkeley to watch Cal, with a 6 game losing streak, take on Stanford, also 3-7. It will be a long day. I guess my love of college football has limits, too!

Go Cats. Dispel my torpor and dread.
Look on the bright side - the football games, unlike the Wagner operas, are only three hours long!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT