ADVERTISEMENT

Top 100 Players

(Spoiler Alert)

For those who don't want to scroll, Justin Jackson is No. 31:

Northwestern’s agile back has compiled some impressive stats in his three seasons so far: 4,129 rushing yards, 30 touchdowns. But perhaps the most eye-popping numbers of Jackson’s college career are 193 and 855—his weight and his career carries, respectively. Despite his slim frame, Jackson has shown incredible durability, a huge boon for a Wildcats offense that has needed his explosiveness on the field as often as possible. Jackson’s elusiveness led to a career-high 1,524 yards along with 15 touchdowns last season, making him the Big Ten’s leading returning rusher, ahead of Penn State’s Saquon Barkley (1,496 yards). 5’11”, 193-pound running backs aren’t supposed to start four seasons without injury, but Jackson has made it so far; if he can continue to stay on the field, he gives Northwestern a top-tier offensive threat. — CB
And, Godwin Igwebuike is No. 51:

Igwebuike has gotten better every season at Northwestern since arriving in Evanston as a four-star recruit in the class of 2013. As a junior in 2016, he led all Big Ten defensive backs with 108 total tackles and shined (seven tackles, an interception deep in NU territory) in the Wildcats’ Pinstripe Bowl win over a Pittsburgh squad powered by one of the ACC’s most productive offenses. Igwebuike is a rangy playmaker who buoys Northwestern’s D both in pass coverage and by running down ballcarriers. In his final season in purple, he'll team with senior Kyle Queiro to form one of the best safety tandems in the country. — CJ

(Spoiler Alert)
For those who don't want to scroll, Justin Jackson is No. 31:

Northwestern’s agile back has compiled some impressive stats in his three seasons so far: 4,129 rushing yards, 30 touchdowns. But perhaps the most eye-popping numbers of Jackson’s college career are 193 and 855—his weight and his career carries, respectively. Despite his slim frame, Jackson has shown incredible durability, a huge boon for a Wildcats offense that has needed his explosiveness on the field as often as possible. Jackson’s elusiveness led to a career-high 1,524 yards along with 15 touchdowns last season, making him the Big Ten’s leading returning rusher, ahead of Penn State’s Saquon Barkley (1,496 yards). 5’11”, 193-pound running backs aren’t supposed to start four seasons without injury, but Jackson has made it so far; if he can continue to stay on the field, he gives Northwestern a top-tier offensive threat. — CB
And, Godwin Igwebuike is No. 51:

Igwebuike has gotten better every season at Northwestern since arriving in Evanston as a four-star recruit in the class of 2013. As a junior in 2016, he led all Big Ten defensive backs with 108 total tackles and shined (seven tackles, an interception deep in NU territory) in the Wildcats’ Pinstripe Bowl win over a Pittsburgh squad powered by one of the ACC’s most productive offenses. Igwebuike is a rangy playmaker who buoys Northwestern’s D both in pass coverage and by running down ballcarriers. In his final season in purple, he'll team with senior Kyle Queiro to form one of the best safety tandems in the country. — CJ
I wish to the bottom of my heart that I would quit seeing phrases like: "Despite his slim frame, Jackson has shown incredible durability" and "193-pound running backs aren’t supposed to start four seasons without injury, but Jackson has made it so far."

It's not that I am superstitious. It's just that I am superstitious.

Reactions: NorthNJCatsfan
I wish to the bottom of my heart that I would quit seeing phrases like: "Despite his slim frame, Jackson has shown incredible durability" and "193-pound running backs aren’t supposed to start four seasons without injury, but Jackson has made it so far."

It's not that I am superstitious. It's just that I am superstitious.

No such thing as superstition Glide. Things are what they are. Accidents happen, some guys have stronger bones than others, other guys can deal with are pain. Our words have no impact on injury.

No such thing as superstition Glide. Things are what they are. Accidents happen, some guys have stronger bones than others, other guys can deal with are pain. Our words have no impact on injury.
I keep telling myself that.

In 1995, I wrote Coach Barnett a letter of support before the Michigan game. We won. For the rest of the season, I wrote a letter before every game. I have never done anything like that before or since but that year I would go crazy if it got to Wednesday and I had not sent my letter. And no, I was not a child. I was 34 during most of that season.

For the record... I did not send my letter before the Rose Bowl so you know who to blame for that.

Reactions: NUCat320
I keep telling myself that.

In 1995, I wrote Coach Barnett a letter of support before the Michigan game. We won. For the rest of the season, I wrote a letter before every game. I have never done anything like that before or since but that year I would go crazy if it got to Wednesday and I had not sent my letter. And no, I was not a child. I was 34 during most of that season.

For the record... I did not send my letter before the Rose Bowl so you know who to blame for that.

Well, one of the reasons I stand up against superstition is that I'm prone to it myself. It can be a hard taskmaster.

I had a pair of Notre Dame sox that a friend sort of stole (they were there for the players to take) from the equipment room. They were really great, high quality, sox by the way. Because they were stolen I reasoned wearing them was bad luck against Notre Dame. That worked for a while.

Well, one of the reasons I stand up against superstition is that I'm prone to it myself. It can be a hard taskmaster.

I had a pair of Notre Dame sox that a friend sort of stole (they were there for the players to take) from the equipment room. They were really great, high quality, sox by the way. Because they were stolen I reasoned wearing them was bad luck against Notre Dame. That worked for a while.
Well... since no one else seems to be posting here, I am going with a little hijack.

Can a jinx be real after a fashion? For example, if JJTBC reads these articles (which he would have to be inhuman not to) and continues to read how he is beating the odds by avoiding injury, then can that impact his thinking and have him second-guessing moves and overthinking movements to the point that it contributes to an injury?

Or the SI jinx? Can someone knowing about the SI cover jinx be subconsciously affected by trying NOT to think about it and put a little extra pressure on themselves to prove it wrong. And this additional pressure then negatively impacts their performance?

Is there some scientific merit (at least psychologically speaking) to jinx superstitions?

How about that for something that has nothing to do with the OP?

Last edited:
Well... since no one else seems to be posting here, I am going with a little hijack.

Can a jinx be real after a fashion? For example, if JJTBC reads these articles (which he would have to be inhuman not to) and continues to read how he is beating the odds by avoiding injury, then can that impact his thinking and have him second-guessing moves and overthinking movements to the point that it contributes to an injury?

Or the SI jinx? Can someone knowing about the SI cover jinx be subconsciously affected by trying NOT to think about it and put a little extra pressure on themselves to prove it wrong. And this additional pressure then negatively impacts their performance?

Is there some scientific merit (at least psychologically speaking) to jinx superstitions?

How about that for something that has nothing to do with the OP?

From my perspective, you just answered your own question.

The power of suggestion is real and self doubt and confidence are real but no voodoo jinx has any power outside of the lie. IMO

From my perspective, you just answered your own question.

The power of suggestion is real and self doubt and confidence are real but no voodoo jinx has any power outside of the lie. IMO
But from a pure cause and effect standpoint, does the fact that the effectiveness of the jinx can be psychologically explained make the jinx any less real? Or does it become actually more real?

Many things were thought to be magic in the past. As science explained them, they did not go away. They were just as real, the magic was simply explained.

But from a pure cause and effect standpoint, does the fact that the effectiveness of the jinx can be psychologically explained make the jinx any less real? Or does it become actually more real?

Many things were thought to be magic in the past. As science explained them, they did not go away. They were just as real, the magic was simply explained.

There is only a cause and effect if someone allows it to get in their heads not because of any power in the coincidence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT