ADVERTISEMENT

Top OSU running back recruit pissed

DocCatsFan

Oct 26, 2006
This is why kids need to factor the SCHOOL into their choice more than just the coach (and a D1 college head coach was the first to tell me that!)

Urban

Originally posted by DocCatsFan:
This is why kids need to factor the SCHOOL into their choice more than just the coach (and a D1 college head coach was the first to tell me that!)
Gotta say, that high school coach has an awful high opinion of himself. I'm kinda surprised at how much vitriol there is over the loss of a position coach. Any high school commit who thinks there's not a BIG chance of a position coach change during their tenure is fooling themselves.

Unless it's Northwestern of course.

Ncaa rules screw over kids (and, yes, offer tremendous opportunity for kids) all the time. Realistically, though, that's really crappy on the part of the Bears. They didn't have to wait until a whole bunch of kids were locked into OSU to make the announcement - but they chose to.

(It's theoretically possible that the hiring decision just happened to be made after signing day, it's just not likely.)

The Bears chose to act in the best interests of OSU - they basically did a minor favor to the coach, who was in turn doing a minor favor for Meyer/OSU.

Of course kids should choose the school - and who knows who'll replace the RB coach at OSU , maybe someone just as good - but the Bears chose to make a decision that had no significant positive impact on OSU (who is one among 25, and who could they have gotten given an extra 15 days to find him?) but a significant impact on the kid's.

So, in summary:
Bears - no change
OSU - small winner
The kid - big loser

The timing of it is just insulting. I'm surprised that there are not others in the class that feel manipulated. Too bad the high School coach doesn't have more leverage. You can't deny your kids access to a perennial power like OSU, especially when you are geographically so close. I suppose you can steer them more toward ND or MU or MSU or encourage them to seek out schools farther from home.

In this day and age I'd be a little surprised if this kid couldn't get his release by maintaining a steady fuss about it on social media rather than just letting it be the story of the day that comes and goes. As people who follow recruiting, we know this happens all the time, but I bet *most* people don't know this rule exists or how often it happens. OSU doesn't want this to become the story going into spring practice, and no coaching staff wants this story to get legs because it couldnt potentially slam the door for them to do it in the future.

I agree. He must have been a borderline commit. Even if he had a great bond with his position coach, he has to be aware that could have changed at any moment. I mean the coach doesnt owe him that.

Help me understand how the kid got screwed. He's getting a full scholarship to the National Champion, one of the best football programs around, whose head coach is among the top 5 or 6 in the sport. After graduation, all kinds of doors will be open to him as a former Buckeye football player. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me....................

Of course the assistant coach stayed around until signing day. I'm sure there was a gentlemen's agreement between OSU and the Bears such that OSU could maintain recruiting continuity. There were some on this board that thought NU might do the same thing. Face it, this is all part of the multibillion dollar business called Power 5 College Football. Don't like it, transfer to a Division II or III program where it is simply about "love of the game". Nothing is holding him at OSU, he may well have redshirted anyway so take effectively a redshirt year at another school and still have 4 years of eligibility.

The kid could get the same education at any number of great schools. If his chance to have his preference. Literally his last chance to choose without penalty.

He preferred the package that OSU offered - including offense, position coach, head coach, etc. - to the package that Michigan offered. However, the position coach was a big part of that, and the package he gets is far different from the one he thought he was choosing.

If he'd have known that Drayton was leaving, it sounds as he would've preferred the package of academics and football and NFL-churning head coach to the package that he'll get at OSU. He's rightfully pissed, but them's the breaks.

Realistically, the decision to wait changes Coach Drayton's lot not at all, and Coach Meyer's lot just a little, and the Bears' lot not at all. It affects the player very much.

The Bears, who were very much in control, chose to make a decision with only negative impact to the person who it impacts most significantly. It's karmically crappy, no matter how frequently it happens.

Have you ever take a job, only to have the hiring manager leave? It sucks. That's what happened here, and only because the parties in power chose to do it.

Yeah!! He should just be thankful for this opportunity GIVEN to him with no effort on his end at all. Screw him! Doesn't he get it's a BUSINESS? He gets to go to school for FREE!! Whining loser. No one owes him anything, no matter what they might have promised!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 2/7 2:04 PM by thewildcat2011

Originally posted by Sheffielder:
In this day and age I'd be a little surprised if this kid couldn't get his release by maintaining a steady fuss about it on social media rather than just letting it be the story of the day that comes and goes. As people who follow recruiting, we know this happens all the time, but I bet *most* people don't know this rule exists or how often it happens. OSU doesn't want this to become the story going into spring practice, and no coaching staff wants this story to get legs because it couldnt potentially slam the door for them to do it in the future.
What rule? He's not going to get any release and transfer that lets him play immediately. I strongly doubt the NCAA will grant a transfer without a one-year eligibility penalty for an assistant coach taking a new job. The NCAA doesn't do that even if the entire coaching staff up and leaves. He will have to sit out a year.

Urban Meyer will sit him down, reassure him that the new position coach will be top notch, and then fill him in on the consequences if he decides to transfer.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Originally posted by NUCat320:
Have you ever take a job, only to have the hiring manager leave? It sucks. That's what happened here, and only because the parties in power chose to do it.
Actually, I did. I came back to NU in 1981 to do a PhD under a particular faculty member, under whom I had previously completed my Masters. When I arrived on campus in August, having just quit my job, he proceeded to tell me that he was leaving dear old NU to take a job at Exxon Corporate Research in NJ. Did I throw a hissy fit about how unfair it was that my advisor was leaving? Nope. Dealt with it, visited him periodically, and finished my degree in 2.5 years.

The sooner a kid discovers life isn't always fair the better. And according to the NLRB, football IS a business and athletes ARE employees.

We'll agree to disagree on this one I suspect.

Originally posted by NJCat:
Originally posted by NUCat320:
Actually, I did. I came back to NU in 1981 to do a PhD under a particular faculty member, under whom I had previously completed my Masters. When I arrived on campus in August, having just quit my job, he proceeded to tell me that he was leaving dear old NU to take a job at Exxon Corporate Research in NJ. Did I throw a hissy fit about how unfair it was that my advisor was leaving? Nope. Dealt with it, visited him periodically, and finished my degree in 2.5 years.
The obvious follow-up: Was it his plan all along? And for how long?

Because the difference is, of course, that there's willful deception involved here. And it was simply a choice to deceive, where the alternative to deception is, basically, everyone but the kid who was deceived has a very similar circumstance as if they had chosen not to.

It has already happened. The Buckeyes have already filled the position with Tony Alford who is considered to be among the best RB coaches in the country and an excellent recruiter with great Fla ties. I think Weber is going to be very happy at tOSU and I cannot wait to see him scoring td's against the school up north.
Originally posted by Gladeskat:

What rule? He's not going to get any release and transfer that lets him play immediately. I strongly doubt the NCAA will grant a transfer without a one-year eligibility penalty for an assistant coach taking a new job. The NCAA doesn't do that even if the entire coaching staff up and leaves. He will have to sit out a year.

Urban Meyer will sit him down, reassure him that the new position coach will be top notch, and then fill him in on the consequences if he decides to transfer.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

It's a tough situation. There is no right answer, although if you go to the Michigan board there is a wrong answer.

"Whatever OSU does."

Immediately the player feels slighted, which I understand. A lot of it is emotional right now. The highschool coach is upset that he wasn't consulted, but is that more about ego?

There is a question to the coaches responsibility to give full disclosure. But there is also the responsibility that Drayton has to do his best to recruit while he is still a paid coach at OSU. There is also a lot of accusations that Meyer ordered Drayton not to say anything by opposing fans. But that is biased conjecture.

Social media, the schools involved, and a slow period in college football news has made this a bigger story than usual.

Why should the Chicago Bears give any kind of a damn about Ohio State's coaching continuity? They're a billion-dollar NFL team.

Originally posted by Styre:
Why should the Chicago Bears give any kind of a damn about Ohio State's coaching continuity? They're a billion-dollar NFL team.
That's the question that crossed my mind as well, Styre. Why would this be of concern to the Bears, one way or the other?

OSU just replaced him with the RB coach and top recruiter in I think Texas ? from Notre Dame. I believe he was also the lead recruiter at ND

Originally posted by NURoseBowl:

That's the question that crossed my mind as well, Styre. Why would this be of concern to the Bears, one way or the other?
Because influential people take care of each other. OSU has powerful football people and the Bears have powerful football people. Relationships mean a lot. This kid would probably found a spot in Harbaugh's heart and OSU wouldn't want that. Somebody may better friends with Meyer than Hargaugh, it's not a stretch to think that Harbaugh has made some enemies. The kid is just a pawn as most of us are.

Do you seriously think the Bears, or any other NFL team, care enough about college recruiting to screw over Harbaugh or Meyer? They're completely different worlds. They can draft the kid later on no matter where he ends up. They wanted a coach, they paid him, they got him. Any conspiracy beyond that is going to require a lot of evidence in its favor.

DCF -- I suspect the kid factored the "SCHOOL" into his decision. tOSU is a fine AAU institution with a fine faculty.

and, Go Cats !!

Originally posted by Deeringfish:
This kid would probably found a spot in Harbaugh's heart and OSU wouldn't want that.
Is that even possible? Does Harbaugh have a heart?

Do you seriously think the Bears, or any other NFL team, care enough about college recruiting to screw over Harbaugh or Meyer? They're completely different worlds. They can draft the kid later on no matter where he ends up. They wanted a coach, they paid him, they got him. Any conspiracy beyond that is going to require a lot of evidence in its favor.
I seem to remember Harbaugh being in that other world just weeks ago.

Here's how this would go:

John Fox, newly hired by the Bears: "I want to hire Stan Drayton as my RB coach. He has a great resume."

Ryan Pace, weeks into his first-ever NFL GM job: "Sure, but let's wait until after National Signing Day."

Fox: "Why?"

Pace: "See, there's this running back that Ohio State is recruiting, and if we hire Drayton before he signs his NLI, he might sign with Michigan out of anger over losing his position coach."

Fox: "So what?"

Pace: "So if we wait until after Signing Day, he will be stuck with Ohio State, and he won't be able to go to Michigan, thus screwing over Jim Harbaugh! Everybody wins!"

Fox: "I quit."

This post was edited on 2/9 6:02 PM by Styre

Up until Styre's scenario (well done by the way) I wasn't convinced in any type of conspiracy. I stand corrected.

John Fox, newly hired by the Bears: "I want to hire Stan Drayton as my RB coach. He has a great resume."

Ryan Pace, weeks into his first-ever NFL GM job: "Sure, but let's wait until after National Signing Day."

Pace: "See, there's this running back that Ohio State is recruiting, and if we hire Drayton before he signs his NLI, he might sign with Michigan out of anger over losing his position coach."

Pace: "So if we wait until after Signing Day, he will be stuck with Ohio State, and he won't be able to go to Michigan, thus screwing over Jim Harbaugh! Everybody wins!"

Styre, you missed your calling. You should be writing for TV sitcoms.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by NURoseBowl:

Styre, you missed your calling. You should be writing for TV sitcoms.
laugh.r191677.gif
Actually, reminded me more of Dunesburry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT