ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Lunacy

BarefootCat

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2017
Looks like the whole college basketball world is going crazy with the new 'transfer portal'. We've seen it at NU with 3 players transferring this year, but imagine if you're Billy Donlon and have ELEVEN (11!) players in the transfer portal.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-transfer-portal-UMKC-11-players-130900424/

The article says there are 611 players in the transfer portal from 351 D-1 basketball schools (1.7 transfers per school). If 1.7 players transfer each year from each school, it sure seems like a lot of extra effort by all parties. Not sure the system has found the right balance yet...

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Looks like the whole college basketball world is going crazy with the new 'transfer portal'. We've seen it at NU with 3 players transferring this year, but imagine if you're Billy Donlon and have ELEVEN (11!) players in the transfer portal.

https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-transfer-portal-UMKC-11-players-130900424/

The article says there are 611 players in the transfer portal from 351 D-1 basketball schools (1.7 transfers per school). If 1.7 players transfer each year from each school, it sure seems like a lot of extra effort by all parties. Not sure the system has found the right balance yet...
It’s like NFL free agency when every team turns over a third of the roster every season. But I’m glad the athletes have freedom of movement. They are generating billions of dollars in revenue for “the system “ in their four or five year playing career, it’s okay if coaches and support staff have to work a little harder to accommodate that freedom.

But I’m glad the athletes have freedom of movement. They are generating billions of dollars in revenue for “the system “ in their four or five year playing career, it’s okay if coaches and support staff have to work a little harder to accommodate that freedom.

I really dislike what this free agency period has evolved into. Take a close look at the list, and you see, as usual, this is another hill to climb the have-not- programs, rather than the haves.

However, you make a really good point about the freedom for the athletes. I agree they should take advantage of every opportunity, while schools count the billions, coaches come and go as they please and transfers are restricted at the whim of a coach.

If you could implement a transfer rule that would be the ideal scenario, what would it look like?

I believe players should have flexibility, but there should also be enough control to enable teams to build rosters too.

I’d love to see something like:
1) Scholarships are guaranteed for four years. Scholarship reductions for programs shown to be forcing players to transfer out against their will.
2) Players in good academic standing can transfer once with immediate eligibility.
3) Additional transfers require a one year sit out. No exceptions, no waivers.
4) If a coach that signed a player to a NLI leaves (or is fired), his entire roster is eligible for a transfer with immediate eligibility (even if they have already had prior transfers).

Reactions: IGNORE
If you could implement a transfer rule that would be the ideal scenario, what would it look like?

I believe players should have flexibility, but there should also be enough control to enable teams to build rosters too.

I’d love to see something like:
1) Scholarships are guaranteed for four years. Scholarship reductions for programs shown to be forcing players to transfer out against their will.
2) Players in good academic standing can transfer once with immediate eligibility.
3) Additional transfers require a one year sit out. No exceptions, no waivers.
4) If a coach that signed a player to a NLI leaves (or is fired), his entire roster is eligible for a transfer with immediate eligibility (even if they have already had prior transfers).
Very sensible approach. Only thing I'd disagree with you on is how you'd enforce scholarship reductions. Seems like a case of "he said/school said". I think simpler is better.

Very sensible approach. Only thing I'd disagree with you on is how you'd enforce scholarship reductions. Seems like a case of "he said/school said". I think simpler is better.

Yeah, I think it’s nearly impossible to enforce.

A few additional thoughts to add to the mix, when discussing transfer rules:

1. Basically, every 18-22 year-old person is a moron. It's one reason why college, and alternatively the military, are so important - they both provide a structured environment for young adults to mature (i.e. become less prone to making stupid decisions).

2. Nearly every college kid hates their school or friends or teachers or whatever at some point. It may only last a week, or month, or semester, and things generally work out. Again, it's part of the 'perspective' everyone gains as they go through life.

3. College athletes likely have it tougher than normal students b/c more people kiss their butts growing up AND they are on the receiving end of more criticism AND many more people are telling them how the grass is definitely greener elsewhere. This combination may make them more prone to make rash decisions.

Perhaps the 'year-in-residency' rules aren't so bad. Especially, if they force the athlete to slow down and really consider whether they're making the right choice.

... If a coach that signed a player to a NLI leaves (or is fired), his entire roster is eligible for a transfer with immediate eligibility (even if they have already had prior transfers).

I've thought this for a long time. This would also result in the schools taking much more responsibility about who they hire and considering the cost of their coaches.

OTOH, it might be a trainwreck for most programs. Think about what happens to, for instance, Marquette if 3/4 of their roster had transferred after, Crean and Buzz in a six year period.

IU with Davis Sampson and Crean since 2006.

Those are the programs where the merry-go-round may come to a halt. UIC? NIU? Probably not.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
A few additional thoughts to add to the mix, when discussing transfer rules:

1. Basically, every 18-22 year-old person is a moron. It's one reason why college, and alternatively the military, are so important - they both provide a structured environment for young adults to mature (i.e. become less prone to making stupid decisions).

2. Nearly every college kid hates their school or friends or teachers or whatever at some point. It may only last a week, or month, or semester, and things generally work out. Again, it's part of the 'perspective' everyone gains as they go through life.

3. College athletes likely have it tougher than normal students b/c more people kiss their butts growing up AND they are on the receiving end of more criticism AND many more people are telling them how the grass is definitely greener elsewhere. This combination may make them more prone to make rash decisions.

Perhaps the 'year-in-residency' rules aren't so bad. Especially, if they force the athlete to slow down and really consider whether they're making the right choice.
You really sound like an angry and ill-informed person. What colleges denied you admission? How many? Sure doesn't sound like you served in the military either because you certainly show very little if any maturity. Also what the hell are you responding to? You should understand that this is a college basketball forum right? Maybe not!

You really sound like an angry and ill-informed person. What colleges denied you admission? How many? Sure doesn't sound like you served in the military either because you certainly show very little if any maturity. Also what the hell are you responding to? You should understand that this is a college basketball forum right? Maybe not!

Odd response...

You sound like a negative nancy. Did the Willie's Kids' Club deny your application? When, how, and where? You cheer for the basketball team? What about the European handball team? How many Quidditch matches do you attend? I bet you put ketchup on a hotdog, you vacuous oaf. Did you even serve in the Taiping Rebellion of 1850-1864? Where the hell am I? Why is my bed wet?

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT