ADVERTISEMENT

Trubisky vs. Thorson

PURPLECAT88

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Trubisky, but in terms of arm-strength, decision-making, leadership and experience, what makes Trubisky any better than Thorson is today or will be when he goes pro next year or the year after? What makes Trubisky worth the number three pick plus a third-rounder and two fourths?

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Trubisky, but in terms of arm-strength, decision-making, leadership and experience, what makes Trubisky any better than Thorson is today or will be when he goes pro next year or the year after? What makes Trubisky worth the number three pick plus a third-rounder and two fourths?

No one loves Thorson more than I do but Trubisky threw for almost 4000 yards with 30 TDs vs only 6 INts and a completion percentage in the mid 60% range last year in the ACC. Thorson has that potential but he needs to get better to approach that type of production.

Thought I saw 3 overall plus 3rd and 4th for this year and 3rd for next year. To move up one spot????That has got to be one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen right up there with the Hershell Walker (sp) trade and Ditka's trade to get a RB

No one loves Thorson more than I do but Trubisky threw for almost 4000 yards with 30 TDs vs only 6 INts and a completion percentage in the mid 60% range last year in the ACC. Thorson has that potential but he needs to get better to approach that type of production.

Thorson is basically a slightly taller, slightly less mobile Trubisky. I see no reason he shouldn't be drafted pretty high when he comes out. He's got all the tools, will have a ton of game experience (biggest differentiator from Trubisky), and will likely put up some pretty decent numbers in his final two years.

Thorson is basically a slightly taller, slightly less mobile Trubisky. I see no reason he shouldn't be drafted pretty high when he comes out. He's got all the tools, will have a ton of game experience (biggest differentiator from Trubisky), and will likely put up some pretty decent numbers in his final two years.

Agree 100%. I have been saying for a while Thorson will be a first day NFL pick. Can't wait to see how good he gets over the next year or two.

If he continues progressing at the rate we've seen, yes.

An OL that is decent in pass protection and receivers that get separation and make catches will help. I am cautiously--very cautiously--optimistic that these will both manifest themselves in the next 2 years.

An OL that is decent in pass protection and receivers that get separation and make catches will help. I am cautiously--very cautiously--optimistic that these will both manifest themselves in the next 2 years.

I have been a big Clayton backer since before he took a NU snap and feel he will be a NFL Player, and if he improves at a pace similar to last year a first round grade is very possible. Sure hope you prediction comes true.

And if we have an OL and WRs, he might have a 4000yd, 30 td 6 INT season or better going into the draft like Trubisky

Thorson will be a much better pro than Mitch if he stays healthy and keeps getting better. That is my opinion. The Bears and Bulls are sad and pathetic franchises right now. They will do nothing but get worse over the next five years with the same leadership in place. And you know what? I couldn't care less. My favorite teams are NU football and basketball (plus the Cubs), and they are going to get better and better for as far as I can tell and all prognostications indicate. So Pace and Paxson can stick it where the sun don't shine for all I am concerned.

Reactions: scru
Wasn't he already at

Wasn't he already like 3200 yds passing, 22tds and 9INTs? Doesn't take that much to get him to the higher levels...if we have the OL and receivers

Sure, but if we can run the ball, we should run the ball. It wears down the DL, takes time off the clock, and opens up the passing game. 3500 yards passing and 2000 yards rushing would be great.

Sure, but if we can run the ball, we should run the ball. It wears down the DL, takes time off the clock, and opens up the passing game. 3500 yards passing and 2000 yards rushing would be great.
I don't have a problem with that. Cut down on the INTs and get to about 25 -30TDs and it does the job and gets him pretty highly sought after. A lot has to do if we are in the lead a lot in which case might not be as much passing

I don't have a problem with that. Cut down on the INTs and get to about 25 -30TDs and it does the job and gets him pretty highly sought after. A lot has to do if we are in the lead a lot in which case might not be as much passing

The completion percentage is the key. Better accuracy and decisions will make all the other numbers move in the right direction.

. Wasn't he already like 3200 yds passing, 22tds and 9INTs? Doesn't take that much to get him to the higher levels...if we have the OL and receivers

Playing in the ACC would help too. (shots fired!)

I figure Clayton will be drafted by the Packers and win a couple of Super Bowls. While the bears are working on Trubisky - getting him on the field as is learning the offence.

I think Clayton's biggest area of improvement is pocket presence. He has generally not been good at buying time or finding running lanes when he is flushed out of the pocket. He has great speed but below average quickness for a quarterback so far and gets run down from behind frequently by defensive linemen when he tries to escape the pocket. I think he's a good quarterback and I am really looking forward to his continued development, but I think he has a lot of work to do before he is Day 1 or Day 2 draft pick.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I think Clayton's biggest area of improvement is pocket presence. He has generally not been good at buying time or finding running lanes when he is flushed out of the pocket. He has great speed but below average quickness for a quarterback so far and gets run down from behind frequently by defensive linemen when he tries to escape the pocket. I think he's a good quarterback and I am really looking forward to his continued development, but I think he has a lot of work to do before he is Day 1 or Day 2 draft pick.

You think he has to do more work to be an NFL QB because he doesn't run the ball well enough?

Beathard was a day two pick this year and Clayton is better than him right now.

If Thorson has a huge year this season, there will be some pressure for him to leave early.

You have got to be kidding.
Trubusky is THE top rated QB prospect in the country by virtually every NFL personnel man and scout in the business. Thorson is a mediocre quarterback who will never throw the past in the NFL . That's the difference!

Trubusky is THE top rated QB prospect in the country by virtually every NFL personnel man and scout in the business. Thorson is a mediocre quarterback who will never throw the past in the NFL . That's the difference!

You're going to eat those words. Badly.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl

OK Mel Kiper. As was pointed out, frickin CJ Beatherd was a 4th round pick in this year's draft. Clayton is leaps and bounds better than Beathard right now. No doubt that Clayton will be a high round NFL draft pick next season or the year after.

You think he has to do more work to be an NFL QB because he doesn't run the ball well enough?
Thanks
No. Read more carefully. I said that he needs to improve his pocket presence. There are lots of college quarterbacks that can complete passes with a good pocket and clear throwing lanes. Clayton has done a below average job in my opinion of sensing pressure, buying time and throwing outside of the pocket. I know you are the foremost football expert on the board but I am pretty sure those are important qualities for an NFL quarterback. His arm is good (but he doesn't have a rocket) and he's a good but not great athlete, so he's going to need to show he can read defenses in a pro style offense, go through his progressions, and, yes, make plays when the pocket breaks down. I hope that is the next phase in his progression as a quarterback.

No. Read more carefully. I said that he needs to improve his pocket presence. There are lots of college quarterbacks that can complete passes with a good pocket and clear throwing lanes. Clayton has done a below average job in my opinion of sensing pressure, buying time and throwing outside of the pocket. I know you are the foremost football expert on the board but I am pretty sure those are important qualities for an NFL quarterback. His arm is good (but he doesn't have a rocket) and he's a good but not great athlete, so he's going to need to show he can read defenses in a pro style offense, go through his progressions, and, yes, make plays when the pocket breaks down. I hope that is the next phase in his progression as a quarterback.

I disagree. Much like Trevor, Thorson has seldom had a clean pocket in which to operate at NU. He's got all the skills in the world (yes, his arm strength is plenty for the next level), but another year or two to put them together.

I'm pretty confident he will be our highest-drafted QB in the modern era (Otto Graham in 1944 doesn't count).

I'm worried he'll go early after this season's championship.

I disagree. Much like Trevor, Thorson has seldom had a clean pocket in which to operate at NU. He's got all the skills in the world (yes, his arm strength is plenty for the next level), but another year or two to put them together.

I'm pretty confident he will be our highest-drafted QB in the modern era (Otto Graham in 1944 doesn't count).
So you think he has thrown well outside of the pocket? You think he moves well in the pocket? You think he has shown good touch on short passes?

OK Mel Kiper. As was pointed out, frickin CJ Beatherd was a 4th round pick in this year's draft. Clayton is leaps and bounds better than Beathard right now. No doubt that Clayton will be a high round NFL draft pick next season or the year after.
CJ was a third round pick! I like CJ as a college QB, but Clayton has better skills now.

Actually, Clayton has started almost twice as many games as Trubisky. If he doesn't go pro next year, he will likely be the winningest QB in NU history. He'll be the highest drafted QB in modern NU history. You have a strange definition of mediocre.

While he was not quite the tallest midget, Trubisky was arguably the best in a very weak crop of college QBs. Somebody has to be on top of the list, unless you burn the list.

So you think he has thrown well outside of the pocket? You think he moves well in the pocket? You think he has shown good touch on short passes?

Throwing well outside the pocket isn't terribly high on the list of requirements for NFL talent evaluators. He has struggled at times moving in the pocket, but showed flashes of improvement last year and seldom has clean pockets in which to move (similar to Trevor). Could show some better touch, but those are passes that will be caught by NFL WRs.

IA qb was 4th round. Guess that is not first or second day but pretty close.And CT has two more years to develop.

I can picture a scenario where Thorson has a huge season and could forego his senior year if he is a first or second rounder. I think he has a high ceiling and scouts will recognize that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT