ADVERTISEMENT

Turk's Game Analysis and Player grades

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Mr All Turk: Van Hoose
All Turk Awards: Van Hoose, Godwin, Harris, Henry, Gibson

Head Coach: Grade D
It seems to me that Fitz stopped believing, in the first half with 2 minutes to go. Game was over at that point.

Harbough outcoached him really bad though, but Jim is one of the best coaches in the nation.
Why did Fitz have them walk out on the field like they were going to a funeral, instead of run on the field to start the game? Why pull all of your starters with 8 minutes to go? OTOH, Harbaugh plays football for 60 minutes because IT MATTERS. Pat, how did you like Harbaugh leaving his starters in there with 2 minutes to go to shut you out? How did you like him sticking it to you with 2 minutes to go by passing in the redzone? That's the difference between the best coach in the BIG and a decent coach in you. Never let your players feel beaten, bro. Play 60 minutes. If you are ahead then you kick them while they are down like Harbaugh did to you today even with a couple minutes to go. When you are down by alot and aren't going to win, then KEEP playing even if you look like Rocky. Go to the last bell. I expect Harbaugh, the fans, and the team playing for the shutout, but I didn't expect you to pull starters with 8 minutes to go. That's a mental jab at our players being shutout C'monnnnnnnn Mannnnnn. Play the full 60 minutes whether you are winning or losing. Geez!

In Harbaugh's press conference, they asked if him keeping the starters in for a shutout meant anything. His answer was yes. PLAY 60 MINUTES. Sometimes it isn't about winning or losing Pat.

And playing vanilla defense for the first two drives until you finally realized you had to play wildcat football is uncalled for. That said, Good luck against Iowa and let's smack them for 60 minutes, please. Win or lose.

OC: McCall: Grade D-
Not sure why we consistently tried to test the far outside with options that went nowhere but we did it repeatedly, in the first half, and it really set our offense back.
Not moving the pocket, aka Iowa last year, was just poor coaching. Not sure about the routes but we aren't giving Thorson a chance when only one wide out goes out [Vitale] on a crucial 3rd down, and we flood the flat with 3 wide outs on two other occasions? It didn't appear that nobody ran busted routes, but having 3 guys bump into eachother twice at about 8 yards downfield isn't going to fool anyone. At any rate....

DC: Doc: Grade C+
I was very disappointed that we didn't come out aggressive game plan, but decided to play straight up vanilla defense with the front 4 until you finally figured this out after Michigan's second possession. Also puzzled why Ifeadi was not a part of the game plan???? WTH, Doc???
Your plan got us in a big hole as Michigan just rammed it down our throats on its first two drives. We stood there like statues, and the QB pretty much had it made.

That said, I was glad you adjusted and mixed it up, upfront, bringing heat. Then playing Ifeadi the whole second half. The result, after your adjustment was excellent. 5 punts and one FG. And your first team defense kept Michigan out of the endzone for the last 48 minutes! Bravo! The problem was that, for some unknown reason, for the first time of the year, you decided to open up the game with vanilla.

Remember, pedal to the metal the whole game because the offense isn't going to do it. The players didn't execute that well in the first quarter but our first string D shut down the Michigan offense over the last 48 minutes with 5 punts and one FG. I know the BTN announcers praised the Michigan running game and offense but after the first quarter, what did they do against our first string defense? Nothing. 5 punts and one FG.
Even after some very poor punting, our defense stopped them the last 48 minutes with 5 punts and a FG. I know that doesn't mean a win, but I enjoyed our players playing hard and keeping Michigan out of the endzone after the first 11:40 of the game. I think they will settle down quicker from here on out.

OL: Grade D+
No help from McCall but still exposed as a weak unit once behind.

WR: Grade D-
Again, once we got behind, this unit got exposed as a weakness. McHugh simply doesn't make plays in big games, as he was personally responsible for that pick 6 which was ripped out of his hands after a good throw by THorson. And had a chance at another one across the middle. Gotta fight for those balls, son.
Christian Jones dropped two at a time when he had to make plays in a game. Dickerson had alligator arms on one.

RB: Grade C
No holes, and a very vanilla offense. Yet someone still has to make a play.

QB: Grade C
I thought Thorson played decent. The score didn't reflect but he didn't get any help from his receivers or his OC. I know some will say I'm nuts after this shutout but I'm not really disappointed in his play that much. Yes, he has to learn to make plays but I'm really not down on him. He throws the ball good, just needs to up his game, which he will. And go to Big2go.com and review some of those 3rd down plays where McCall insisted on flooding a zone with 3 wideouts. Doesn't work and the wide outs are so close to eachother that it's like someone blew a route. But it happened on numerous occasions which suggest that was part of the plan.
The limit will be capped on any QB with McCall under such silly routes or offensive schemes.

Thorson does needs serious work on options, I will say that. Doesn't seem like McCall is teaching him on that but once he learns, he may be able to use his feet for good yards. It appears as if he simply doesn't want to be tackled but I know that's not the case. He has wheels so not sure what the problem is???

DL: Grade B-
I thought Gibson, Lancaster and Ifeadi played well.

LB: Grade C+
Smith played well. Disappointed in Walker, bigtime. A few plays that he seemed to take off. One third down and 3, and an OL came on him, and he just sorta loafed and backed off instead of taking the blocker on or doing much of anything. C'mon maaaannnnn. That was 3rd down AWalk!!! I love ya bro but play every play!!!!!

DB: Grade B+
This group played rather well and prevented a lot of big plays.

Special Teams: F
Poor FG attempt with a bad hold, kickoff team had 11 guys on one side of the field and put us in a serious bind after the first play. Punt team was awful. I can throw the ball farther than our punter punted. We can play better. This is one game that I agree with Fitz that we have to flush.

Mr All Turk: Van Hoose
All Turk Awards: Van Hoose, Godwin, Harris, Henry, Gibson

Head Coach: Grade D
It seems to me that Fitz stopped believing, in the first half with 2 minutes to go. Game was over at that point.

Harbough outcoached him really bad though, but Jim is one of the best coaches in the nation.
Why did Fitz have them walk out on the field like they were going to a funeral, instead of run on the field to start the game? Why pull all of your starters with 8 minutes to go? OTOH, Harbaugh plays football for 60 minutes because IT MATTERS. Pat, how did you like Harbaugh leaving his starters in there with 2 minutes to go to shut you out? How did you like him sticking it to you with 2 minutes to go by passing in the redzone? That's the difference between the best coach in the BIG and a decent coach in you. Never let your players feel beaten, bro. Play 60 minutes. If you are ahead then you kick them while they are down like Harbaugh did to you today even with a couple minutes to go. When you are down by alot and aren't going to win, then KEEP playing even if you look like Rocky. Go to the last bell. I expect Harbaugh, the fans, and the team playing for the shutout, but I didn't expect you to pull starters with 8 minutes to go. That's a mental jab at our players being shutout C'monnnnnnnn Mannnnnn. Play the full 60 minutes whether you are winning or losing. Geez!

In Harbaugh's press conference, they asked if him keeping the starters in for a shutout meant anything. His answer was yes. PLAY 60 MINUTES. Sometimes it isn't about winning or losing Pat.

And playing vanilla defense for the first two drives until you finally realized you had to play wildcat football is uncalled for. That said, Good luck against Iowa and let's smack them for 60 minutes, please. Win or lose.

OC: McCall: Grade D-
Not sure why we consistently tried to test the far outside with options that went nowhere but we did it repeatedly, in the first half, and it really set our offense back.
Not moving the pocket, aka Iowa last year, was just poor coaching. Not sure about the routes but we aren't giving Thorson a chance when only one wide out goes out [Vitale] on a crucial 3rd down, and we flood the flat with 3 wide outs on two other occasions? It didn't appear that nobody ran busted routes, but having 3 guys bump into eachother twice at about 8 yards downfield isn't going to fool anyone. At any rate....

DC: Doc: Grade C+
I was very disappointed that we didn't come out aggressive game plan, but decided to play straight up vanilla defense with the front 4 until you finally figured this out after Michigan's second possession. Also puzzled why Ifeadi was not a part of the game plan???? WTH, Doc???
Your plan got us in a big hole as Michigan just rammed it down our throats on its first two drives. We stood there like statues, and the QB pretty much had it made.

That said, I was glad you adjusted and mixed it up, upfront, bringing heat. Then playing Ifeadi the whole second half. The result, after your adjustment was excellent. 5 punts and one FG. And your first team defense kept Michigan out of the endzone for the last 48 minutes! Bravo! The problem was that, for some unknown reason, for the first time of the year, you decided to open up the game with vanilla.

Remember, pedal to the metal the whole game because the offense isn't going to do it. The players didn't execute that well in the first quarter but our first string D shut down the Michigan offense over the last 48 minutes with 5 punts and one FG. I know the BTN announcers praised the Michigan running game and offense but after the first quarter, what did they do against our first string defense? Nothing. 5 punts and one FG.
Even after some very poor punting, our defense stopped them the last 48 minutes with 5 punts and a FG. I know that doesn't mean a win, but I enjoyed our players playing hard and keeping Michigan out of the endzone after the first 11:40 of the game. I think they will settle down quicker from here on out.

OL: Grade D+
No help from McCall but still exposed as a weak unit once behind.

WR: Grade D-
Again, once we got behind, this unit got exposed as a weakness. McHugh simply doesn't make plays in big games, as he was personally responsible for that pick 6 which was ripped out of his hands after a good throw by THorson. And had a chance at another one across the middle. Gotta fight for those balls, son.
Christian Jones dropped two at a time when he had to make plays in a game. Dickerson had alligator arms on one.

RB: Grade C
No holes, and a very vanilla offense. Yet someone still has to make a play.

QB: Grade C
I thought Thorson played decent. The score didn't reflect but he didn't get any help from his receivers or his OC. I know some will say I'm nuts after this shutout but I'm not really disappointed in his play that much. Yes, he has to learn to make plays but I'm really not down on him. He throws the ball good, just needs to up his game, which he will. And go to Big2go.com and review some of those 3rd down plays where McCall insisted on flooding a zone with 3 wideouts. Doesn't work and the wide outs are so close to eachother that it's like someone blew a route. But it happened on numerous occasions which suggest that was part of the plan.
The limit will be capped on any QB with McCall under such silly routes or offensive schemes.

Thorson does needs serious work on options, I will say that. Doesn't seem like McCall is teaching him on that but once he learns, he may be able to use his feet for good yards. It appears as if he simply doesn't want to be tackled but I know that's not the case. He has wheels so not sure what the problem is???

DL: Grade B-
I thought Gibson, Lancaster and Ifeadi played well.

LB: Grade C+
Smith played well. Disappointed in Walker, bigtime. A few plays that he seemed to take off. One third down and 3, and an OL came on him, and he just sorta loafed and backed off instead of taking the blocker on or doing much of anything. C'mon maaaannnnn. That was 3rd down AWalk!!! I love ya bro but play every play!!!!!

DB: Grade B+
This group played rather well and prevented a lot of big plays.

Special Teams: F
Poor FG attempt with a bad hold, kickoff team had 11 guys on one side of the field and put us in a serious bind after the first play. Punt team was awful. I can throw the ball farther than our punter punted. We can play better. This is one game that I agree with Fitz that we have to flush.
All of the offensive coaches should have F's for this one. We had no idea what we were walking (literally) into. No or few adjustments. That first play simply should not have happened to a #13 team. I hope Fitz has learned B1G time from this game and comes out and stomps Iowa into the turf, which we are capable of doing. What, were they reading this board to see how good Michigan was going to be?

IMO it is hard to give any group Better than a C . There were big pass plays completed in UMs first two drives. Either the DB's or LB's get lowered for those plays when it mattered. I thought their O Line clearly have the upper hand on our D line.

Our O line really struggled and JJ never had a chance. Very disappointed we didn't go for it on 4th and 1 down 14. Team was badly in need of a jolt of confidence and Fitz missed that opportunity. I didn't have the same issue you did regarding playing the back ups in the 4th. The game was over and I didn't think some of the guys deserved to stay on the field. Hopefully, it benefits the guys that saw a few snaps.

McCall's play calling baffled me. Unfortunately, it didn't baffle UM. Some plays clearly might work 1 in 10 times. The option pitch is horrendous even to us board buffoons. Please Fitz insist McCall step up his game. I realize our WR's are not playing up to par, but they aren't being put in a position to do anything at all. Did Vault play?

On a positive note, I believe we will bounce back as the demeanor and attitude of this team seems far superior to the last 2 seasons.

Not going for the 4th and 1 down 14 and attempting a 42 yard field goal turned out to be a mistake. Perhaps Fitz saw that the O line was being manhandled even though we had managed to move the ball. I don't see a 42 yard field goal attempt having a better chance of success than a 4th and 1.

Someone said Mitchell can kick it into the endzone on kickoffs. If true, I am for that, particularly on the opening kickoff. May just be me, but I live in fear of NU's slow starts.

The option play might work if Thorson will actually look like he intends to run the ball. When he rolls out it looks like he has no intention of running but is only looking for the best time to flip it to the back. He may have running speed but he is not a running quarterback right now.

Reactions: seavue617
All of the offensive coaches should have F's for this one. We had no idea what we were walking (literally) into. No or few adjustments. That first play simply should not have happened to a #13 team. I hope Fitz has learned B1G time from this game and comes out and stomps Iowa into the turf, which we are capable of doing. What, were they reading this board to see how good Michigan was going to be?
IMO it is hard to give any group Better than a C . There were big pass plays completed in UMs first two drives. Either the DB's or LB's get lowered for those plays when it mattered. I thought their O Line clearly have the upper hand on our D line.

Our O line really struggled and JJ never had a chance. Very disappointed we didn't go for it on 4th and 1 down 14. Team was badly in need of a jolt of confidence and Fitz missed that opportunity. I didn't have the same issue you did regarding playing the back ups in the 4th. The game was over and I didn't think some of the guys deserved to stay on the field. Hopefully, it benefits the guys that saw a few snaps.

McCall's play calling baffled me. Unfortunately, it didn't baffle UM. Some plays clearly might work 1 in 10 times. The option pitch is horrendous even to us board buffoons. Please Fitz insist McCall step up his game. I realize our WR's are not playing up to par, but they aren't being put in a position to do anything at all. Did Vault play?

On a positive note, I believe we will bounce back as the demeanor and attitude of this team seems far superior to the last 2 seasons.
Agreed that the first two drives demonstrated that Michigan's Oline could handle our DL. But those first two drives was it. Hank started blitzing and being more aggressive, as he was in the first 5 games, and it effectively shut down the Michigan offense the rest of the game with 5 punts and one FG. Doesn't get much better than that, but the damage of game planning a vanilla defense was already done with the knockout punch at 3 minutes remaining of the first quarter. Again, I am speechless as to why we went into this game with such a vanilla defensive game plan, but at least Doc adjusted and we locked it down the rest of the way.

I believe Harbaugh's motto at Stanford was; win with character, win with cruelty. We certainly saw #2 today.

I was at the game and saw so many weaknesses exploited by Michigan in H1 that I knew we had no chance. We were totally out-physicalled by UM along our O-line but otherwise I thought we matched up with them pretty well. Our D was constantly caught off-guard and out of position. Ruddock was a difference-maker at QB. Difference between a 5y and a RS Fr.

Michigan stacked the box and dared us to throw our Oline never had a chance and when we got behind 21,28-0 they pinned there ears back and came after it! This is all we will see the rest of the year were gonna have to pass and find receivers who can catch the ball!!

Michigan stacked the box and dared us to throw our Oline never had a chance and when we got behind 21,28-0 they pinned there ears back and came after it! This is all we will see the rest of the year were gonna have to pass and find receivers who can catch the ball!!

We won't see a defense like Michigan the rest of the year though. Those guys are special.

Disappointed in Walker, bigtime. A few plays that he seemed to take off. One third down and 3, and an OL came on him, and he just sorta loafed and backed off instead of taking the blocker on or doing much of anything. C'mon maaaannnnn. That was 3rd down AWalk!!! I love ya bro but play every play!!!!!

This is the second straight poor game for Walker. He was not much of a factor against Minny either. I wonder if he has gotten caught up in his headlines......

I believe Harbaugh's motto at Stanford was; win with character, win with cruelty. We certainly saw #2 today.

I was at the game and saw so many weaknesses exploited by Michigan in H1 that I knew we had no chance. We were totally out-physicalled by UM along our O-line but otherwise I thought we matched up with them pretty well. Our D was constantly caught off-guard and out of position. Ruddock was a difference-maker at QB. Difference between a 5y and a RS Fr.

win with cruelty. I like that.

no mercy. I don't expect it from other teams - it's not their job to keep them from scoring. I wish we would learn something from UM on this .

The letting up. Freezing, playing in a shell. I'm sick of it. Only, today, it also happened from the first whistle.

This is the second straight poor game for Walker. He was not much of a factor against Minny either. I wonder if he has gotten caught up in his headlines......
He actually didnt appear to resist or fight thru an OL once they had him. Look at 3rd and2 in the third quater. My man didnt want any piece of that blocker and just submitted by backing up long before the whistle blew. Taking plays off isnt cool.

It would seem that the option pitch has poor spacing. The two seem to be basically in the same zone and there is no commitment from the D prior to the pitch being made. No advantage gained. And Thorson pitches it every time. CT just does not seem adept at running it. By comparison, KC was a master of it.

It would seem that the option pitch has poor spacing. The two seem to be basically in the same zone and there is no commitment from the D prior to the pitch being made. No advantage gained. And Thorson pitches it every time. CT just does not seem adept at running it. By comparison, KC was a master of it.

It almost seems like an extended stretch play the way Thorson is pitching early without a threat and the RB's shallow path, the idea being to get the RB on the edge. However, without extremely solid WR blocking out wide, the effect is just to allow the defense to fast flow to the ball. That's what we've seen more often than not.

It almost seems like an extended stretch play the way Thorson is pitching early without a threat and the RB's shallow path, the idea being to get the RB on the edge. However, without extremely solid WR blocking out wide, the effect is just to allow the defense to fast flow to the ball. That's what we've seen more often than not.
Man we are missing prater and even lawrence blocking out there.

It is interesting to see how the Iowa-Northwestern game plays out. Clearly, Jake Rudock lead Iowa to a 2-0 record, though defense and special teams played a huge role, in the past two games.

C.J. Beathard was clearly the better choice in January for Iowa in 2015. It clearly looks like Kirk Ferentz made the best choice.

It will be an interesting game on Saturday. Both, Iowa and Northwestern are improved from last year's 48-7 game, played at Kinnick.

In the past four games, Iowa won 3 at home, and lost one on the road.

Beathard is now 3-0 on the road as a starter. Rudock didn't perform as well on the road for Iowa. He is 0-1 for Michigan.

peace

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT