Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Mr All Turk: Godwin Igwebukie
All Turk Awards: Special Teams: Niswander, Shuler, Long, Mitchell
Offense: Thorson, Jackson, Long, Mertz, Olson
Defense: Lowry, Gibson, Awalk, Smith, Van Hoose, Harris, Godwin, Henry

Offensive Line: Grade A
Pass protection was phenomenal. Maybe only one holding call. Rush offense moved the ball. Mertz and Olson had the best games. Park is looking a lot better than North at Center, although a few low snaps.

WR: Grade B+
solid game. A couple early drops but otherwise looked really good. Nice to see McHugh with a big catch and also some nice blocking. Christian Jones is really starting to look comfortable again. AC looking good. Nagel getting involved prior to injury.

RB: Grade B+
really had a nice 3 headed horse limiting Jackson to 20 carries and splitting the rest with hard running by Vault and Long. Interesting two back sets today I'll talk later about under the offensive coordinator title. Jackson was benched after putting the pill on the ground [his third of the year although none lost]. But then JJ went back in when the o got in the redzone.

QB: Grade A
Very interesting play with a 130 QB rating. Looking slightly better running but still sorta stops a bit at times which allows the D to close. Needs to trust his blockers better as well on his rollouts. Later in the game, had Little Vitale as his lead blocker in which case it looked to me that he could have took it off Vitale's outside hip and got alot of extra yards, but instead cut it upfield and dove for a few. However, good to see McCall keep calling his number, even with only 6 minutes left, with a QB run. Beautiful passes all day long. Missed several reads, including Vault on one that would have been an easy TD, and also once on a two RB set when both RB's were flanked to the east...Jackson came across and it would have been huge but Thorson checked down. Those were about the only two plays that I noticed from the lower stands, otherwise, he seemed to be very comfortable throwing the ball and making most of his reads.

DL: Grade A
Shout out to Lowry and Gibson. Although Robbins, Kuhar, and Lancaster looked good, with Lancaster looking the best. Xwas had a decent game as well. Good to see him come in and get some good hits.

LB: Grade A
AWalk was a presence even though he didn't get all the tackles he usually gets, but we will take the TD. Smith looked good along with Prater. Jones and Quero had decent play but both are a noticeable step down from our starters.

DB's: Grade A+
Harris was in beast mode all day. Got picked on one play but other than that he was a beast. Should have had two INT's but still snagged one. Van Hoose had everything locked down to close out the game. Godwin and Henry awesome.

Special Teams: Grade A
Punt team with two inside the 20 was very very good. Punt return was the play of the game. Kickoff return was nill since there was only one touchback and no other kicks. Kikcoff team: Solid. FG Team: One miss and 3 good ones but the snapper tossed the first good fg in the dirt that the holder had to pick up.

DC: Doc Hank: Grade A
With Godwin back in the lineup, Doc could do whatever he wanted.

OC: McCall: Grade A
McCall had some interesting play calling and schemes. He showed some things to Minny that we didn't do previously. A few different two back sets. One with two backs behind Thorson, and one with two RB's both out wide. Worked out well often, with Long sealing a block to spring Jackson at least once.

Head Coach: Fitz: Grade A
Fitz now realizes he has a national team that may be a playoff contender so he did what Turk likes, he didn't let up at the end and decided to protect the shutout by playing all of our starters until about 3 minutes to go. Someone upstairs who spots for him fell asleep and didn't tell Fitz to toss out the red flag on Prater's great INT. That could have cost us, as we have to have people upstairs who don't fall asleep. Minny snapped the ball so there was no replay. Fitz is a great leader which compliments his coaching well, and he has player leadership that trust eachother on this team. Very few blown assignments. Good time management, and seems to have everyone dialed in and some seriously good football, i.e., attacking and hitting as well.

Housekeeping matters:
Fumbling 3 times sucked but we recovered all 3. Gotta get the snaps right, and JJ has more fumbles this year than all of 2014. Fan support didn't look good and was lame considering we are a top ten team. The scores were not filtering in the stadium most of the game, and we barely played a replay except for maybe Vault's TD and a few others. WTH?
Of course, with Godwin playing, I predicted a 27-7 win. Fairly close but I wasn't surprised.

Go Cats!

Last edited:
Nice analysis Sr. Turk. Couple of points:

Hance > Olson...thought Olson was just okay today...has room for improvement. Hance is getting better each week.

Nate Hall had some nice plays at LB...he's getting some reps on obvious passing downs - aka the "Chapman/Ifeadi package"

Your grade on Thorson must be based on past performance. It was certainly his best game and I'm impressed with his continued improvement and have great hopes for the guy but he didn't look like one of the best QB's we have had in the last decade, nor was it one of the best performances by a QB in the past couple of years.

If that is an A, what do you give him when he really takes a game over?

Your grade on Thorson must be based on past performance. It was certainly his best game and I'm impressed with his continued improvement and have great hopes for the guy but he didn't look like one of the best QB's we have had in the last decade, nor was it one of the best performances by a QB in the past couple of years.

He kind of did... I can't recall one throw all day that was a poor decision or off the mark.

He kind of did... I can't recall one throw all day that was a poor decision or off the mark.

I would rarely disagree with you because you're way more informed than I am but taking the game over to me means more than good game management while the running game is preforming as advertised. Maybe I'm not respecting the Minny D enough.

I would rarely disagree with you because you're way more informed than I am but taking the game over to me means more than good game management while the running game is preforming as advertised. Maybe I'm not respecting the Minny D enough.

It felt like he was completely in control for the first time. And we saw the rewards.

It felt like he was completely in control for the first time. And we saw the rewards.
I'm not saying he didn't play a good game but I feel like he has so much upside that it shouldn't be an A, There will be no scale for grading him by next year. It's not like he passed for 300 yards.

Dunno, Deeringfish, I thought he played a heckuva game. We got a keeper. Not a lot was asked of him, but what was asked, he performed. his QB rating was 130.4 which was pretty good against a defense that he made look pedestrian. He has played against 3 solid defenses, including Duke's which is in the top ten scoring defense. He will have to do a bit more maybe next week against a solid Michigan D but he looks VERY comfortable in the pocket. He only had one bad throw that wasn't really that bad, and the two other incompletes were dropped including a beautiful pass to Nagel for a potential first down. Never mind that another incomplete was a beautiful pass to Vault who I swear caught the ball for a TD but I guess it was only a good try.

Not to mention two TD runs on the ground. I'd probably say A-, but this was as confident and in control as he's been all year.

He made some very good throws today. The out route to Nagel on the first drive was a very good throw. The throw to Vault was great. He picked up some hot routes on blitzes.

He has progressively done a bit more each week, at least in terms of output. I am sure the film will find him leaving plays on the table downfield. But he looks like a different player compared to 5 weeks ago.

Godwin, Lowry, Harris, Hall were very active out there. After having some issues stopping the run on the first two drives, the front 7 really locked down and neutered the Gophers. The front four controlled the LOS, and the tackling improved. It certainly helped that the wind really made it tough on QBs, and Leidner is mediocre. Once they took away the run, Minny was screwed.

Hance played exceptionally well.

As for Thorson, let's not forget how windy it was out there yet he was throwing windbreakers all afternoon.

The long snapper had his best game also. I thought he deserved an all Turk award.

The reply officials really do need to explain the basis for overturning the TD pass to Shuler. In watching the reply after comng home, the ball rolled around but it never actually thouched the ground. And this isn't de-novo review, it's got to be clear and convincing to overturn the decision from a field ref who was only 10 feet away. It could have been a tragic turn of events given that the game was still on the line.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

As for Thorson, let's not forget how windy it was out there yet he was throwing windbreakers all afternoon.

The long snapper had his best game also. I thought he deserved an all Turk award.

The reply officials really do need to explain the basis for overturning the TD pass to Shuler. In watching the reply after comng home, the ball rolled around but it never actually thouched the ground. And this isn't de-novo review, it's got to be clear and convincing to overturn the decision from a field ref who was only 10 feet away. It could have been a tragic turn of events given that the game was still on the line.
it was to Vault. But I agree, the refs seemed to get a few calls wrong. If we lost, I would lose sleep over these awful calls.

Not to mention two TD runs on the ground. I'd probably say A-, but this was as confident and in control as he's been all year.

This - missed a few open targets (an A score needs to be reserved for something better).

Watching the highlights on NUHighlights, noticed 2 things that popped up.

Olson whiffed on his block on the 4th down conversion to McHugh (luckily, Thorson had already thrown the ball before he defender got to him) and Smith had a clear line to Croft but whiffed (didn't matter as the D-line was right there and Gibson brought down Croft).

He made some very good throws today. The out route to Nagel on the first drive was a very good throw. The throw to Vault was great. He picked up some hot routes on blitzes.

He has progressively done a bit more each week, at least in terms of output. I am sure the film will find him leaving plays on the table downfield. But he looks like a different player compared to 5 weeks ago.
I also agree with this. Prob A- or so but he threw a lot of good balls. And throwing in the parking lot beforehand I can tell you that the deep ball he threw into the wind to Vault was absolutely absurdly good.

NVH and Harris were just awesome al day. Godwin was all over the field, and made several key plays early on before our front 7 found its footing. Then they took over - Lowry in particular seemed to be in the backfield all day.

Great game management to keep JJ down to 20 carries once we pulled away. Even though they stat sheet didn't look great, thought our backup RBs ran well also - they were just stacked in the box against the run most of those plays.

I loved when the backups came in on defense for the last series and still were absolute shutdown on D. A couple nice plays by Joseph Jones getting to the sideline.

Great team win Go Cats!

Pass protection was phenomenal. Maybe only one holding call. Rush offense moved the ball. Mertz and Olson had the best games. Park is looking a lot better than North at Center, although a few low snaps.

solid game. A couple early drops but otherwise looked really good. Nice to see McHugh with a big catch and also some nice blocking. Christian Jones is really starting to look comfortable again. AC looking good. Nagel getting involved prior to injury.

really had a nice 3 headed horse limiting Jackson to 20 carries and splitting the rest with hard running by Vault and Long. Interesting two back sets today I'll talk later about under the offensive coordinator title. Jackson was benched after putting the pill on the ground [his third of the year although none lost]. But then JJ went back in when the o got in the redzone.

Very interesting play with a 130 QB rating. Looking slightly better running but still sorta stops a bit at times which allows the D to close. Needs to trust his blockers better as well on his rollouts. Later in the game, had Little Vitale as his lead blocker in which case it looked to me that he could have took it off Vitale's outside hip and got alot of extra yards, but instead cut it upfield and dove for a few. However, good to see McCall keep calling his number, even with only 6 minutes left, with a QB run. Beautiful passes all day long. Missed several reads, including Vault on one that would have been an easy TD, and also once on a two RB set when both RB's were flanked to the east...Jackson came across and it would have been huge but Thorson checked down. Those were about the only two plays that I noticed from the lower stands, otherwise, he seemed to be very comfortable throwing the ball and making most of his reads.

Shout out to Lowry and Gibson. Although Robbins, Kuhar, and Lancaster looked good, with Lancaster looking the best. Xwas had a decent game as well. Good to see him come in and get some good hits.

AWalk was a presence even though he didn't get all the tackles he usually gets, but we will take the TD. Smith looked good along with Prater. Jones and Quero had decent play but both are a noticeable step down from our starters.

Harris was in beast mode all day. Got picked on one play but other than that he was a beast. Should have had two INT's but still snagged one. Van Hoose had everything locked down to close out the game. Godwin and Henry awesome.

Punt team with two inside the 20 was very very good. Punt return was the play of the game. Kickoff return was nill since there was only one touchback and no other kicks. Kikcoff team: Solid. FG Team: One miss and 3 good ones but the snapper tossed the first good fg in the dirt that the holder had to pick up.

McCall had some interesting play calling and schemes. He showed some things to Minny that we didn't do previously. A few different two back sets. One with two backs behind Thorson, and one with two RB's both out wide. Worked out well often, with Long sealing a block to spring Jackson at least once.

Fitz now realizes he has a national team that may be a playoff contender so he did what Turk likes, he didn't let up at the end and decided to protect the shutout by playing all of our starters until about 3 minutes to go. Someone upstairs who spots for him fell asleep and didn't tell Fitz to toss out the red flag on Prater's great INT. That could have cost us, as we have to have people upstairs who don't fall asleep. Minny snapped the ball so there was no replay. Fitz is a great leader which compliments his coaching well, and he has player leadership that trust eachother on this team. Very few blown assignments. Good time management, and seems to have everyone dialed in and some seriously good football, i.e., attacking and hitting as well.

Housekeeping matters:
Fumbling 3 times sucked but we recovered all 3. Gotta get the snaps right, and JJ has more fumbles this year than all of 2014. Fan support didn't look good and was lame considering we are a top ten team. The scores were not filtering in the stadium most of the game, and we barely played a replay except for maybe Vault's TD and a few others. WTH?
Of course, with Godwin playing, I predicted a 27-7 win. Fairly close but I wasn't surprised.

Go Cats!

Turk is having a much better year in 2015.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I also agree with this. Prob A- or so but he threw a lot of good balls. And throwing in the parking lot beforehand I can tell you that the deep ball he threw into the wind to Vault was absolutely absurdly good.

NVH and Harris were just awesome al day. Godwin was all over the field, and made several key plays early on before our front 7 found its footing. Then they took over - Lowry in particular seemed to be in the backfield all day.

Great game management to keep JJ down to 20 carries once we pulled away. Even though they stat sheet didn't look great, thought our backup RBs ran well also - they were just stacked in the box against the run most of those plays.

I loved when the backups came in on defense for the last series and still were absolute shutdown on D. A couple nice plays by Joseph Jones getting to the sideline.

Great team win Go Cats!

You know what made me smile? Seeing James Prather on special teams. I remember him as a late addition to the 2014 class after someone decomitted late in the process. He was an unknown but quite athletic on tape. Now he's about 270 and playing a contributing role.

Our scouting and recruiting of "fringe" players has improved so much. Even our walk-ons like JB Butler, J Roberts (now on schollie), and others are contributing. The depth is fantastic.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

I watched it over and over and in honesty everytime I thought, "I think that must have hit the ground.". BUT at no angle could I be sure it hit the ground. Maybe his elbow hit the ground
causing him to squeeze the ball against his ribs in such a way that it looked loose or his jersey ruffled, causing things to look loose. NOTHING showed the ball in contact with the ground! OR showed his arm NOT under the ball.
Perhaps the rules about "definitive evidence" are more complicated than what they explain to us or allow for some creative judgement but there was nothing definitive about the replay.

Van Hoose should be the BIG Defensive player of the week. He not only closed out the game but was swatting passes all game.
He is like a soccer goalie - you never know he's there unless they score (like BSU), but it seems like most teams don't even bother to throw over there. The new kid for Minny didn't know any better, PBU, PBU, PBU

Do I think it hit the ground? Yes, most likely. Did any of the replays show it hit the ground? Not the ones they aired on television. It was a call that required creativity.

There were some late overturns/missed corrections in the Illinois Nebraska game that helped to get Illinois into the end zone.

Officiating is a thankless job so I don't want to pile on. I thought the replays would be less controversial.

Exactly. You almost forget he's on the field (and I mean that in the best possible way). The new QB probably didn't have a choice, but he likely also wasn't as well prepared. Suddenly NVH appears to be all over the place.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan

Great team win Go Cats!
Regarding Godwin. A lot of times, a defense won't find its footing, even if an opposing offense isn't that great, until after the first series or so. Minny probably had their best drive early in the game, if not the first series. Godwin made sure, as he always does, to keep the gains to minimal amounts. That's why I figured the final score would be 27-7 with Godwin playing, but 20-17 without him playing. He is a HUGE difference and is quite an incredible player. Much better than I Campbell, who was very good. Godwin is on a whole other level, possibly one of the top 2 or 3 safeties in the nation.

Godwin, Lowry, Harris, Hall were very active out there. After having some issues stopping the run on the first two drives, the front 7 really locked down and neutered the Gophers. The front four controlled the LOS, and the tackling improved. It certainly helped that the wind really made it tough on QBs, and Leidner is mediocre. Once they took away the run, Minny was screwed.

Right with you up to the point where you said Leidner is mediocre. That's being a bit generous.

Right with you up to the point where you said Leidner is mediocre. That's being a bit generous.
In private quarters, I would agree with your assessment of Leidner. But in public, I am not going to bash any college player for performance. You and I rightfully skewered the editors over at InsideNU for their incredibly lazy and senseless commentary on NU recruits, and thankfully effected a change.

Regarding Godwin. A lot of times, a defense won't find its footing, even if an opposing offense isn't that great, until after the first series or so. Minny probably had their best drive early in the game, if not the first series. Godwin made sure, as he always does, to keep the gains to minimal amounts. That's why I figured the final score would be 27-7 with Godwin playing, but 20-17 without him playing. He is a HUGE difference and is quite an incredible player. Much better than I Campbell, who was very good. Godwin is on a whole other level, possibly one of the top 2 or 3 safeties in the nation.

Note that Godwin also made the tackle on the first 2 NU kickoffs. Both he and Travel are great on special teams.

Housekeeping matters:

Go Cats!
I would give the OL only an A- because of the brain cramp penalties that likely cost a TD in one case. Solid but still a little room for improvement.

Please tell me you've analyzed every safety in the nation before you came to that conclusion. Otherwise, why even write it?

Please tell me you've analyzed every safety in the nation before you came to that conclusion. Otherwise, why even write it?
There are a few safeties garnering attention, nationally. I've heard of some say Cash from Duke. Godwin is playing better than him, it seems to me. I believe he truly is playing the best in the nation, if someone is playing better than he is probably wearing a "S".

Shameful that of the 42 DB's on the 'watch list' entering the season for the DB award, NONE were wearing wildcat purple.

his QB rating was 130.4 which was pretty good
Are you sure you are considering the NCAA QB rating, as opposed to the NFL's?

The NFL formula yields a maximal rating of only 158.3 (best NFL season rating is only 122.5) .

However, the NCAA formula ranges up to 1,261. Of course normally nobody gets a rating near the NCAA maximal. But still, an NCAA QB rating of 130 is at best mediocre.

Currently, 66 FBS QB's have QB ratings between 131 and 218.7.

For the season CT has a 115.9 rating, which is #102 out of 120.

I've heard of some say Cash from Duke. Godwin is playing better than him, it seems to me.

I've only seen Cash in one game, the NU game. He is without question better than GI right now. As a Senior versus a Sophomore, I'd expect that. GI needs to add some more muscle without losing this quickness and speed.

I thought Cash was the best player on the field that day, including Walker, who won the national player of the week with that brilliant performance.

Leidner is a serviceable game manager when things are at least even when it comes to the O-line and run game.

Leidner pass for 197 yds and a TD against TCU (Boykin passed for 242 and 1 TD/1 INT w/ more attempts).

The NU D played a large role in making Leidner look mediocre (or worse), just as the 'Cats D made Hogan look mediocre.

Taking away the running attack and then putting good pressure on the QB and not allowing receivers to get separation make just about any QB not look good.

Leidner is a serviceable game manager when things are at least even when it comes to the O-line and run game.

Leidner pass for 197 yds and a TD against TCU (Boykin passed for 242 and 1 TD/1 INT w/ more attempts).

The NU D played a large role in making Leidner look mediocre (or worse), just as the 'Cats D made Hogan look mediocre.

Taking away the running attack and then putting good pressure on the QB and not allowing receivers to get separation make just about any QB not look good.

Leidner is not good throwing and never has been good throwing the ball.

Plus-1. We only have nine sacks but the ball is coming out very early from a lot of these opposing qbs this season and that's no accident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT