ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today - Iowa Northwestern game sent CFB back to the stone ages

Not quite. There was no single-wing offense. Although…that might have actually helped the offenses.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Not quite. There was no single-wing offense. Although…that might have actually helped the offenses.
If you are only going to run the ball, the single wing is hard to beat. Unbalanced line with 2 strongside lineman pulling, the quarterback(blocking back), wingback and fullback leading the tailback. It is difficult for the D lineman to penetrate and catch the TB from behind because the center snaps the ball in the direction the TB will be running and he gets a running start. I watched every Princeton home game till I went to NU

If you are only going to run the ball, the single wing is hard to beat. Unbalanced line with 2 strongside lineman pulling, the quarterback(blocking back), wingback and fullback leading the tailback. It is difficult for the D lineman to penetrate and catch the TB from behind because the center snaps the ball in the direction the TB will be running and he gets a running start. I watched every Princeton home game till I went to NU
Today they call that the Wildcat.

Seems to me Penn State used to run that with great success.

Which was a better game to watch: USC vs Washington or NU vs IOWA?
If you think offense is the only thing that matters it's an easy choice. However great defense can be exciting as well.
It has to be an individual preference. I found the USC game fundamentally putrid. Why wear pads, it was just a 7 on 7 tourney. No tackling or blocking was evident on either side. Last to have the ball wins. Roller Derby like in it's presentation.

Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin
Couldn't agree more. Cosmo J. Iocovassi? Spelling last name is difficult all these years. Coach Caldwell and my father were good friends.

Couldn't agree more. Cosmo J. Iocovassi? Spelling last name is difficult all these years. Coach Caldwell and my father were good friends.
Cosmo Iacovazzi, yep. He was from the coal mining region of Pennsylvania, not your typical Princeton lad….P.S. There was a guy on that Princeton team named Lawson Cashdollar. Lawson Cashdollar is a Princeton name!

Last edited:
Cosmo Iacavazzi was a great collegiate football player-RB and MLB for Princeton. He was drafted by the Jets but did not have the physical skills to succeed in the AFL-too small for LB and not fast enough for RB

My dad ran the single wing for the Nokomis Warriors ( where Future Farmers of America Club is listed on the athletic page) and dont forget you could drop kick from the single wing. My dad could drop kick well into his 70.s
Me I love a good 10-7 game....like a sumptuous 4 course meal.....where as those 60-50 games just seems chaotic....not that I didnt love being at the 2000 game against Michigan 54-51 CATS

My dad ran the single wing for the Nokomis Warriors ( where Future Farmers of America Club is listed on the athletic page) and dont forget you could drop kick from the single wing. My dad could drop kick well into his 70.s
Me I love a good 10-7 game....like a sumptuous 4 course meal.....where as those 60-50 games just seems chaotic....not that I didnt love being at the 2000 game against Michigan 54-51 CATS
My Dad, at 55 years of age, bet his QB that he could drop kick to a receiver better than the QB could throw it, surely you know he won.

Wasn't there a 10-10 ND MSU game for basically a national championship? (1966) ND was given National Championship
You are correct! I believe it was 1966. Dame had a policy of not going to bowl games. The writers voted them as NC. I believe it was split between them & MSU. I could be wrong. Dame refused to play in bowl games for decades. This did not stop the writers voting them as NC a number of times. Must have been a lot of Catholic sports writers. I am a Catholic so calm yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT