ADVERTISEMENT

Utah was dirty.

thewildcat2011

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
Rewatched the game just now. Dirty team. Dirty hits and attempts, leading with the helmet, aiming to hurt. Constant trash talking.

We finally realized what this game was going to be about and showed up in the second half. Showed some swagger and some power.

Sit down, shut up, be humble. Nice “athletes,” Utah.

Rewatched the game just now. Dirty team. Dirty hits and attempts, leading with the helmet, aiming to hurt. Constant trash talking.

We finally realized what this game was going to be about and showed up in the second half. Showed some swagger and some power.

Sit down, shut up, be humble. Nice “athletes,” Utah.

Please ignore this troll. Both teams played hard, neither team played “dirty” with an intent to injure.

“TheWildcat2011” please follow your own advice: sit down, shut up, be humble.

Please ignore this troll. Both teams played hard, neither team played “dirty” with an intent to injure.

“TheWildcat2011” please follow your own advice: sit down, shut up, be humble.
Nah, one team threw a punch and consistently led with their helmets. It wasn’t the guys in white.

Edited to take away insult—no point in that.

Last edited:
Utah's secondary appeared to be big time trash talkers and took the cheap shot on occasion. Not as bad as Kentucky last year.

Utah's secondary appeared to be big time trash talkers and took the cheap shot on occasion. Not as bad as Kentucky last year.
Most every college player runs out of the pile after a good play and does some stupid pose to call attention to themselves. Some of it is excitement, and yes we do it sometimes, but most of it is contrived, rehearsed, stupid time wasting. They even run away from teammates that want to celebrate with them so they can do their schtick.

I'd rather watch a bunch of douchebag referees waste time discussing an obvious penalty, (so they can be on TV. )

Reactions: willycat
A ridiculous thread. I saw nothing in yesterday's game that justifies these comments other than maybe one player momentarily losing his cool. Hardly enough to characterize the whole team. Utah and their coach play a very physical and disciplined style of football which I admire. They are similar to us and we should take a lot of pride in having beaten them. Let's not come off as a clueless fan base similar to ones we have seen from our bowl opponents in the past.

A ridiculous thread. I saw nothing in yesterday's game that justifies these comments other than maybe one player momentarily losing his cool. Hardly enough to characterize the whole team. Utah and their coach play a very physical and disciplined style of football which I admire. They are similar to us and we should take a lot of pride in having beaten them. Let's not come off as a clueless fan base similar to ones we have seen from our bowl opponents in the past.
I was there and I absolutely agree. Let’s be humble winners and a classy fanbase.

I was taught the following sentient sports-relevant mantra by my grade school football coach when I was nothing but a pup that was repeated by virtually every sports coach that mentored me through age 18 when growing-up in NE Ohio:

"Win with Grace; Lose with Dignity"

Everyone who is a parent or a mentor to kids of all genders, races & creeds who aspire to play sports of any type should be taught to teach this mantra to their players.

Wise words to live by both on and off the field of play, in the classroom and in the workplace.

I wish some folks writing on this message board would read it and take it to heart.

I was taught the following sentient sports-relevant mantra by my grade school football coach when I was nothing but a pup that was repeated by virtually every sports coach that mentored me through age 18 when growing-up in NE Ohio:

"Win with Grace; Lose with Dignity"

Everyone who is a parent or a mentor to kids of all genders, races & creeds who aspire to play sports of any type should be taught to teach this mantra to their players.

Wise words to live by both on and off the field of play, in the classroom and in the workplace.

I wish some folks writing on this message board would read it and take it to heart.

Agreed. In that spirit I thought our tackling was text book last night. I found myself yelling “boom” like never before. Fitz had to love it. Absolutely punishing at times.

How important were those gut check goal line stands limiting the Utes to FGs in the first half? How many of the fumble recoveries were due to relentless swarm to and rip at the ball plays? A real tribute to how this team embraced a pound the rock mentality.

GOUNUII

Agreed. In that spirit I thought our tackling was text book last night. I found myself yelling “boom” like never before. Fitz had to love it. Absolutely punishing at times.

How important were those gut check goal line stands limiting the Utes to FGs in the first half? How many of the fumble recoveries were due to relentless swarm to and rip at the ball plays? A real tribute to how this team embraced a pound the rock mentality.

GOUNUII

I am in the process of rewatching the game this morning and so far one thing that stuck out to me was how well we tackle, I. Particular our secondary tackles. For all his shortcomings in coverage, Mayo is one hell of a fundamental tackler.

No I definitely saw it as well, including the first quarter punch. The shot on Thorson was also dirty at best. Utah was chippy throughout.

Reactions: loyolacat
Speaking of chippy, I thought it was over the top in the Oklahoma-Alabama game, especially by Oklahoma. The Oklahoma players, down 21-0, were still woofing and getting in people's faces. I remember thinking, "Guys. You're getting your asses handed to you. Just play the game and shut up." They actually made me switch over to the Alabama side, something I never thought would happen in my lifetime.

I am in the process of rewatching the game this morning and so far one thing that stuck out to me was how well we tackle, I. Particular our secondary tackles. For all his shortcomings in coverage, Mayo is one hell of a fundamental tackler.
Mayo played pretty well. Bergin also made some tackles and was in the right spot a lot. NU got what they needed from their replacements for their starters.

Reactions: seavue617
Most every college player runs out of the pile after a good play and does some stupid pose to call attention to themselves. Some of it is excitement, and yes we do it sometimes, but most of it is contrived, rehearsed, stupid time wasting. They even run away from teammates that want to celebrate with them so they can do their schtick.

I'd rather watch a bunch of douchebag referees waste time discussing an obvious penalty, (so they can be on TV. )
remember when the refs actually enforced this "look at me" crap with penalties. Heck back in 95', I remember D. Autry scored and put his hands on his hips and got 15 yards penalty. Some of this stuff is definitely planned and rehearsed. Wish we'd get back to Walter Payton art of handing the ball to the refs after scoring

I saw that play and saw the Clayton push. Chippy is a fair description. Calling the entire Utah team dirty is not in my opinion.
I mean, I’m not sure exactly how many “chippy” players and/or plays it takes to make a team dirty. Is there some sort of conversion ratio?

On my rewatch, a couple of attempted tackles by Utah that didn’t quite land also stuck out to me as really dangerous as well (including one where a DB attempted to spear Cam Green with the crown of his helmet and ended up with air). Had those hits happened, who knows what the consequences would have been. Of course, those are more on the if and buts side.

Agreed, and it hasn't always been that way. When they grab you, you stay grabbed

I mean, I’m not sure exactly how many “chippy” players and/or plays it takes to make a team dirty. Is there some sort of conversion ratio?

On my rewatch, a couple of attempted tackles by Utah that didn’t quite land also stuck out to me as really dangerous as well (including one where a DB attempted to spear Cam Green with the crown of his helmet and ended up with air). Had those hits happened, who knows what the consequences would have been. Of course, those are more on the if and buts side.

Exactly.

There was also a play where a Utah player who had a tackle on the sideline, rolled him out of bounds and then held his leg and then flipped it like he was roping a cow. ref just stared.....for my money I thought Utah was over the line several times.....but NU responded the way I would expect them to ....with composure kept on playing and go the last laugh.......

There was also a play where a Utah player who had a tackle on the sideline, rolled him out of bounds and then held his leg and then flipped it like he was roping a cow. ref just stared.....for my money I thought Utah was over the line several times.....but NU responded the way I would expect them to ....with composure kept on playing and go the last laugh.......

Yes that was on Bowser. Looked flagarant.

Yes that was on Bowser. Looked flagarant.
Absolutely I was screaming at the TV. Several seconds after the play, Bowser was practically UPSIDE DOWN with the guy pulling his ankle up right in front of the ref and no call. Maybe they just don’t call that stuff in the Big 12.

Absolutely I was screaming at the TV. Several seconds after the play, Bowser was practically UPSIDE DOWN with the guy pulling his ankle up right in front of the ref and no call. Maybe they just don’t call that stuff in the Big 12.

I was stunned when they didn't call a penalty on that play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT