ADVERTISEMENT

Walker's early exit a boon to NU recruiting

Not buying it, really... the biggest thing in recruiting is winning football games. Good players help win football games. While we might see some LB recruits say nice things about Walker's early departure, I think we come out much worse off on a net basis.

With Walker in the middle, I thought the 2017 defense had a chance to be an all-time defense; without him, I get a "good, not great" feeling.

Didn't Hudhaifa Ismaeli leave early too? Maybe that didn't count since he got suspended from the team (for something innocuous I might add).
I think he got suspended for ganja, and left school early. I believe he eventually found his way back to NU, but lived through some very tough times. He was a great player for us--basically Richard Sherman on the field.

Not buying it, really... the biggest thing in recruiting is winning football games. Good players help win football games. While we might see some LB recruits say nice things about Walker's early departure, I think we come out much worse off on a net basis.

With Walker in the middle, I thought the 2017 defense had a chance to be an all-time defense; without him, I get a "good, not great" feeling.

Beg to differ. Most high level recruits think they have a shot at the Pro's. I will even argue must P5 recruits period.

Not sure how we possibly come off much worse in recruiting with an early departure high round draft pick. To me, this is exceptional for recruiting and two recent recruits say that. Sure, it is difficult to replace a high round draft pick and there will almost always be some kind of dip the next year, but IMO the view of wanting him to stay is short sighted. Producing NFL talent, especially early round talent is a boon to NU.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Beg to differ. Most high level recruits think they have a shot at the Pro's. I will even argue must P5 recruits period.

Not sure how we possibly come off much worse in recruiting with an early departure high round draft pick. To me, this is exceptional for recruiting and two recent recruits say that. Sure, it is difficult to replace a high round draft pick and there will almost always be some kind of dip the next year, but IMO the view of wanting him to stay is short sighted. Producing NFL talent, especially early round talent is a boon to NU.

... and Walker could have been an early round draftee had he stayed for his senior year, also helping NU to win more football games in 2017 while he was at it.

With degree in hand and two good seasons on the books, I don't see a strong argument to stay. I assume he got his draft evaluation from the NFL and it was satisfying enough. If he kills it at the combine, his stock should be quite high. He's a good athlete. I think his combine could really help him.

Not denying that. As an NU fan, I am a bit conflicted between seeing Walker pursue his NFL dreams and wanting to see NU win more football games, as I previously outlined here.
From a pure total entertainment value, it is good for me. Although a Titans fan, I am somewhat lukewarm about the NFL. Trevor starting at a Denver made the NFL much more interesting to me. More Cats making it in the NFL make that level of the sport more entertaining overall.

I just hope he does not become a Raven. How I hate the Ravens.

From a pure total entertainment value, it is good for me. Although a Titans fan, I am somewhat lukewarm about the NFL. Trevor starting at a Denver made the NFL much more interesting to me. More Cats making it in the NFL make that level of the sport more entertaining overall.

I just hope he does not become a Raven. How I hate the Ravens.
I wouldn't mind it, living here in Balt. Might even get a jersey

I keep waiting for my Bengals to draft an NU guy. They could use a few level heads on that team. Walker would look good in stripes. As for the should he stay or should he go argument, I think him leaving early is a good thing for NU. It raises the whole program up in stature. I hope we reach a point where its normal to have a player or two leave NU early for the draft. Gotta' start with someone.

I certainly agree with that. I wonder if that injury in camp influenced his decision a little bit.

Exactly what I was thinking. It is likely that scouts have a good idea what he can do already, and another year will not significantly raise his draft ceiling. The injury may not have really hurt his draft stock, but probably made him think twice about the opportunity cost of staying another year. He could have a season ending injury just running around in camp.

We shouldn't wish for players that aren't good enough to leave early. In the past our recruiting was not robust enough to absorb an early departure, but I think it is now.

I keep waiting for my Bengals to draft an NU guy. They could use a few level heads on that team. Walker would look good in stripes. As for the should he stay or should he go argument, I think him leaving early is a good thing for NU. It raises the whole program up in stature. I hope we reach a point where its normal to have a player or two leave NU early for the draft. Gotta' start with someone.
Vontez Burfect is not level headed???

Reactions: TheC
The majority of what recruits say to a reporter who works for a team you are offered by or committed to , is straight recruit talk. The most important thing that recruits look at is how they fit in that program. Walker leaving early has zero bearing on recruiting.
And GoCats, our defense should be over all better next year , even with the loss of Prater and Walker. Our defensive line should improve and our secondary will be much improved. Our linebacker corps will take a hit, but we have players who will step up. I expect a better season in 2017 than we had in 2016

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320
The majority of what recruits say to a reporter who works for a team you are offered by or committed to , is straight recruit talk. The most important thing that recruits look at is how they fit in that program. Walker leaving early has zero bearing on recruiting.
And GoCats, our defense should be over all better next year , even with the loss of Prater and Walker. Our defensive line should improve and our secondary will be much improved. Our linebacker corpse will take a hit, but we have players who will step up. I expect a better season in 2017 than we had in 2016

A bit skeptical about the 2017 defense being demonstrably better than the 2016 defense... but that was a pretty spectacular typo/autocorrect in any event.

When we finish better next season than we did this season, admit you are wrong again. If we don't, I will buy you dinner at Pete Millers

Is that an open invitation?;)
We will finish better than .500. The leadership of Walker , Prater, and Jones , along with how great they played is going to be missed. We have to step up. I am not saying the linebackers as a whole will play better, I am saying our defense as a whole will be better.

When we finish better next season than we did this season, admit you are wrong again. If we don't, I will buy you dinner at Pete Millers

I think we will be better next season, but not exclusively because of the defense; I think the defense will largely hold steady (though stats could be better based on the schedule), hopefully the offense takes another step forward, and the schedule is pretty favorable.

Not quite sure I know what I did to earn the hostility here.

I think we will be better next season, but not exclusively because of the defense; I think the defense will largely hold steady, hopefully the offense takes another step forward, and the schedule is pretty favorable.

Not quite sure I know what I did to earn the hostility here.
I agree with this statement. I think as a team we will be better, because as a team we will be. Much depends on our offensive line. I apologize if I came off hostile. I just strongly believe we will have a great season in 2017

You have been wrong about many things my friend.
I know we've disagreed on this before, but this is really why I don't think family members should go messing around on these boards. The whole thing just means a lot more to you guys and so harmless conversations among a bunch of idiots becomes more serious.

Fitz and his staff are very good at motivating and finding kids to step up We will have players who will step up and help us improve on last season. We are recruiting more talent and we have more depth.

I know we've disagreed on this before, but this is really why I don't think family members should go messing around on these boards. The whole thing just means a lot more to you guys and so harmless conversations among a bunch of idiots becomes more serious.
I too am from Cincinnati . My son wants to be a Bengal

You think I am the only parent who reads these ? You don't think parents of recruits get on here ? I just comment. We are all family , and it isn't a bad thing to agree to disagree. I respect everyones opinion on this board. The fact you take the time to post on here means you care about the program. I want passionate fans . GoCats is a very good fan and gives a lot of insight. Because on somethings I disagree , it doesn't mean I don't respect him or like him. He post things here that make me think, as do all of you.

Naturally I am going to defend the staff, because I know how good they are. I know how they coach and how they treat the players. This program is blessed to have a great staff who stays together and genuinely treat eachother and their players as family. Most schools don't have loyalty and have a revolving door of coaches. We are truly blessed to have Fitz. I love Hanks. Bates knows how to bring out the best in young men, and how to talk and treat them. I don't know about the offensive coaches, but I am certain it is the same. The teams you have been waiting for will be here soon. Northwestern has the right coaches, President, AD, and players. We will every year improve. And we will win the B1G very soon.

Naturally I am going to defend the staff, because I know how good they are. I know how they coach and how they treat the players. This program is blessed to have a great staff who stays together and genuinely treat eachother and their players as family. Most schools don't have loyalty and have a revolving door of coaches. We are truly blessed to have Fitz. I love Hanks. Bates knows how to bring out the best in young men, and how to talk and treat them. I don't know about the offensive coaches, but I am certain it is the same. The teams you have been waiting for will be here soon. Northwestern has the right coaches, President, AD, and players. We will every year improve. And we will win the B1G very soon.

I think even posters who are critical of the team's play at times appreciate the fact that our current coaching staff and our players are attempting to do things the right way. May it continue to be so and may your son have a successful and injury-free career at NU.

Can I be wrong about something and get a dinner at Pete Miller's? I was wrong about who would win the election. Does that count?

Reactions: CatsDad
2 free tacos at Jack in the Box.....

How about Taco Bell? Where I live, all we have is a Subway. You have to go to the "big city" (Lake City) to get Taco Bell fine dining but I haven't figured out the three shells yet.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT