ADVERTISEMENT

Walker's early exit a boon to NU recruiting

You think I am the only parent who reads these ? You don't think parents of recruits get on here ? I just comment. We are all family , and it isn't a bad thing to agree to disagree. I respect everyones opinion on this board. The fact you take the time to post on here means you care about the program. I want passionate fans . GoCats is a very good fan and gives a lot of insight. Because on somethings I disagree , it doesn't mean I don't respect him or like him. He post things here that make me think, as do all of you.

Yes, not only a lot of parents of players, but a whole lot of players read these boards. Believe me, if you are one of the frequent posters, drop your handle on them and they will likely know something about your board persona.

I think it is a personal choice of the players family if they wish to actively participate. Of course, I am sure it is hard to bite your tongue sometimes when either blatantly inaccurate or unfair criticism gets dished out. I probably couldn't do it. Mr Jango does not divulge inside information and his comments give the perspective of a parent of a recruit/player. I see no harm and don't think many here will hold back expressing a contrary opinion or pointing when the team, including Jango have a rough play or outing. You need thick skin to be a parent of a D1 football player in this age of social media.

Yes, not only a lot of parents of players, but a whole lot of players read these boards. Believe me, if you are one of the frequent posters, drop your handle on them and they will likely know something about your board persona.

I think it is a personal choice of the players family if they wish to actively participate. Of course, I am sure it is hard to bite your tongue sometimes when either blatantly inaccurate or unfair criticism gets dished out. I probably couldn't do it. Mr Jango does not divulge inside information and his comments give the perspective of a parent of a recruit/player. I see no harm and don't think many here will hold back expressing a contrary opinion or pointing when the team, including Jango have a rough play or outing. You need thick skin to be a parent of a D1 football player in this age of social media.
It is just nice to see fans so passionate about their team. It is nice to be a part of it.

We will finish better than .500. The leadership of Walker , Prater, and Jones , along with how great they played is going to be missed. We have to step up. I am not saying the linebackers as a whole will play better, I am saying our defense as a whole will be better.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I was with you until this post. We will finish better than .500? What happened to beating Ohio State (whom we would only be able to meet in Indy)? Winning a B1G title? 2017 is the year, no?

Naturally I am going to defend the staff, because I know how good they are. I know how they coach and how they treat the players. This program is blessed to have a great staff who stays together and genuinely treat eachother and their players as family. Most schools don't have loyalty and have a revolving door of coaches. We are truly blessed to have Fitz. I love Hanks. Bates knows how to bring out the best in young men, and how to talk and treat them. I don't know about the offensive coaches, but I am certain it is the same. The teams you have been waiting for will be here soon. Northwestern has the right coaches, President, AD, and players. We will every year improve. And we will win the B1G very soon.

No one really has any issues with any of the coaches on the defensive side of the ball. We love all those coaches too.

The offensive side of the ball, uh... not so much.

Used to be the opposite in the days of Greg Colby, only on offense today, it isn't quite as bad as the Colby Swiss days.

Can I be wrong about something and get a dinner at Pete Miller's? I was wrong about who would win the election. Does that count?

We were all wrong about who was gonna win the election. Even those who are slightly less unhappy (or shall I say panicked) about the outcome.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I was with you until this post. We will finish better than .500? What happened to beating Ohio State (whom we would only be able to meet in Indy)? Winning a B1G title? 2017 is the year, no?
We don't play OSU until 2019, which I said we would beat. I predicted the year to be 2018, but I think we will be very very good this next year. We should lose no more than 3 games. We would play OSU in the B1G Championship game this year. I think we should win the West this year. There is no reason we shouldn't. You can hold my feet to the fire in 2018 and 2019. You can also hold me to no worst than a 9 win season in 2017.

Reactions: GlideCat
We don't play OSU until 2019, which I said we would beat. I predicted the year to be 2018, but I think we will be very very good this next year. We should lose no more than 3 games. We would play OSU in the B1G Championship game this year. I think we should win the West this year. There is no reason we shouldn't. You can hold my feet to the fire in 2018 and 2019. You can also hold me to no worst than a 9 win season in 2017.

3 losses would be hard to stomach with this schedule, but I suppose if it comes with a B1G title, I will take it. 2018 and 2019, I want more. Playoffs.

Reactions: CatsDad
I think we will be better next season, but not exclusively because of the defense; I think the defense will largely hold steady (though stats could be better based on the schedule), hopefully the offense takes another step forward, and the schedule is pretty favorable.

Not quite sure I know what I did to earn the hostility here.
Wrong about Fleck going to Minnesota too. I think the hostility (which I don't think is really there) has to do with the arrogant tone of your posts considering your batting average on predictions.

Wrong about Fleck going to Minnesota too. I think the hostility (which I don't think is really there) has to do with the arrogant tone of your posts considering your batting average on predictions.
I agree with this. While I very much enjoy your discussions, think you are one of the more informative posters on the board, and believe you bring a knowledgeable perspective, you have a tendency to be arrogant and dismissive toward other people's opinions, particularly when you perceive that they may be disagreeing with you.

And I agree it isn't hostility either -- just that when you often write arrogant or dismissive things to others, sometimes it can invite arrogant or dismissive things to be written back at you.

Anyways, I'll set 8-4 as a goal for next year's regular season, given the returning talent and schedule (which, while easier than this year's, certainly is no cakewalk). If we meet or exceed that I'll be quite pleased. If we get 6-7 wins, it would be a minor disappointment. If we fail to get to 6 I would think it's likely that something went more seriously wrong. I might have been more disappointed with 6-6 this year, except that we were 5-4 in conference, and the unexpected losses came OOC. And of course we got that nice bowl Win in NYC over a good Pitt team.

I agree with this. While I very much enjoy your discussions, think you are one of the more informative posters on the board, and believe you bring a knowledgeable perspective, you have a tendency to be arrogant and dismissive toward other people's opinions, particularly when you perceive that they may be disagreeing with you.

And I agree it isn't hostility either -- just that when you often write arrogant or dismissive things to others, sometimes it can invite arrogant or dismissive things to be written back at you.
Has this become an intervention?;)

Reactions: NUCat320
Not denying that. As an NU fan, I am a bit conflicted between seeing Walker pursue his NFL dreams and wanting to see NU win more football games, as I previously outlined here.
Agreed, what's the real difference if he goes to the pros now or in a year other than we don't win as many games next year? So, by extension, half the team leaves for the pros at the end of their third--we get great recruits, but we have no team? Right now, with our depth, this is not a good thing for the team, although perhaps it is for Walker.

I would be perfectly fine with you being correct with all of these predictions.

Agreed, what's the real difference if he goes to the pros now or in a year other than we don't win as many games next year? So, by extension, half the team leaves for the pros at the end of their third--we get great recruits, but we have no team? Right now, with our depth, this is not a good thing for the team, although perhaps it is for Walker.

The tipping point for me on this is that one guy leaving early could be a big enough buzz to attract multiple guys who could get to the Pros but not leave early.

I'd be really excited to have 3 or 4 5th years taken in the draft every year.

You mean like OSU has no team every year after the early departures?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT