ADVERTISEMENT

Wanted: Opinions Regarding Going Ballistic After A Bad Loss

Jonny2TheP

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2007
Des Moines, IA
This has been on my mind a little bit this week as I have been reading this board after the loss to Duke. And it's really got me thinking about my sports fandom some and wanted to get other opinions.

I will preface this by saying that I have been a Northwestern fan my entire life- I'm 36, so easily over 30 years. I didn't go to NU, but my Dad was a Big Ten champ wrestler at NU in 1970 so I naturally was raised on NU sports. I went to a liberal arts college with no sports teams, so I always hung on to that NU fandom. My family has had season tickets to football games for 25 years, I have gone to some bowl games (including the Rose Bowl), and I never miss a game whether it be in person or on television (i.e. this past weekend I was on a trip in Northern Michigan with several friends and truly separated myself from the group for about four hours on Saturday so I could watch an NU football game against Duke in early September). Basically, I am saying this to point out that I'm an NU lifer and I love NU sports, which does have relevance for this topic.

I have noticed over the years that so many sports fans, and this is far from limited to NU sports, just totally lose their mind when their team has a bad loss or even loses any game. Some people really lose it and it affects their mood for days. And I can honestly say that despite how big of a fan I am, and how much I want the 'Cats to win every week, I truly don't get this.

It's kind of got me questioning how huge of a sports fan I am. I love watching my teams play and always want them to win, but after a game is over, to me, it is over. I may be a little bummed about a tough loss for a short amount of time, but it's sports. At the end of the day, for me personally, with no children on the team or no family members on the coaching staff, etc., it's entertainment. And minus a few people here and there that have family connections to the program, most fans are in the same boat as me on that.

So where do people stand on this? Are people that go ballistic after a loss for several days bigger sports fans than those like me who don't? Do they care more?

And this is a real question- one that I understand is more based on opinion than anything else, so there is no definitive answer. I'm not saying I'm a better person for not going ape sh*t after a loss, a more reasonable fan, a bigger fan, less of a fan, etc. I just see these people that go nuts for days after their team loses, and I think "Wow, either that guy loves this team way more than I do or we view this sports thing very differently".

Random question- share thoughts if you have them. The psyche of sports fans is an interesting topic to me, so curious to hearing what people think.

As much as I want to deny it or rationalize it away, I get grumpy when the Cats play poorly and lose. I hate it because I don't want it to impact my time with my son (age 7) or Mrs. Jack. It typically lasts a few hours when it hits, but it bothers me that my relationship with the Cats can impact my relationship with my family. I have to work to quell the grumpiness that can occur. It's very doable, but I cannot simply wish it away.

On balance, the positives of being a Cat fan and a member of this community far outweigh the negatives, even in a 4-win season. If I did not benefit from this affiliation, I would not be here. It's my choice.

This has been on my mind a little bit this week as I have been reading this board after the loss to Duke. And it's really got me thinking about my sports fandom some and wanted to get other opinions.

I will preface this by saying that I have been a Northwestern fan my entire life- I'm 36, so easily over 30 years. I didn't go to NU, but my Dad was a Big Ten champ wrestler at NU in 1970 so I naturally was raised on NU sports. I went to a liberal arts college with no sports teams, so I always hung on to that NU fandom. My family has had season tickets to football games for 25 years, I have gone to some bowl games (including the Rose Bowl), and I never miss a game whether it be in person or on television (i.e. this past weekend I was on a trip in Northern Michigan with several friends and truly separated myself from the group for about four hours on Saturday so I could watch an NU football game against Duke in early September). Basically, I am saying this to point out that I'm an NU lifer and I love NU sports, which does have relevance for this topic.

I have noticed over the years that so many sports fans, and this is far from limited to NU sports, just totally lose their mind when their team has a bad loss or even loses any game. Some people really lose it and it affects their mood for days. And I can honestly say that despite how big of a fan I am, and how much I want the 'Cats to win every week, I truly don't get this.

It's kind of got me questioning how huge of a sports fan I am. I love watching my teams play and always want them to win, but after a game is over, to me, it is over. I may be a little bummed about a tough loss for a short amount of time, but it's sports. At the end of the day, for me personally, with no children on the team or no family members on the coaching staff, etc., it's entertainment. And minus a few people here and there that have family connections to the program, most fans are in the same boat as me on that.

So where do people stand on this? Are people that go ballistic after a loss for several days bigger sports fans than those like me who don't? Do they care more?

And this is a real question- one that I understand is more based on opinion than anything else, so there is no definitive answer. I'm not saying I'm a better person for not going ape sh*t after a loss, a more reasonable fan, a bigger fan, less of a fan, etc. I just see these people that go nuts for days after their team loses, and I think "Wow, either that guy loves this team way more than I do or we view this sports thing very differently".

Random question- share thoughts if you have them. The psyche of sports fans is an interesting topic to me, so curious to hearing what people think.
Who is your father? I was there in 1970.

We go ballistic because we care. When we don't, the program is in real trouble because that would mean we have gotten to a point of apathy and that would be very bad for the program unless enough others have taken up our mantle

We go ballistic because we care. When we don't, the program is in real trouble because that would mean we have gotten to a point of apathy and that would be very bad for the program unless enough others have taken up our mantle

Yeah, I get that. But I care too. I really want the team to win. I want money I pay towards tickets and time I spend traveling to games to be for a good product that entertains me. So, I definitely care. It's more the particulars of the reaction after the loss that I'm speaking to and where I notice the biggest difference between different types of fans. To me, I don't think the difference is caring because I definitely do care.

And my Dad's name is Bill Pauss. Was there from '66 - '70 I believe.

Yeah, I get that. But I care too. I really want the team to win. I want money I pay towards tickets and time I spend traveling to games to be for a good product that entertains me. So, I definitely care. It's more the particulars of the reaction after the loss that I'm speaking to and where I notice the biggest difference between different types of fans. To me, I don't think the difference is caring because I definitely do care.

And my Dad's name is Bill Pauss. Was there from '66 - '70 I believe.
Thought you might have been close to Mark Massery (sp)

Thought you might have been close to Mark Massery (sp)

I know Mark- he's friends with my Dad. Haven't seen him in years (last time was randomly running into him at a bar in Chicago about ten years ago and watching NU beat Minny with him- the Brendan Smith interception game). Saw Mark and his son a lot more when I was a kid while at the Midlands and other random wrestling matches at NU.

I know Mark- he's friends with my Dad. Haven't seen him in years (last time was randomly running into him at a bar in Chicago about ten years ago and watching NU beat Minny with him- the Brendan Smith interception game). Saw Mark and his son a lot more when I was a kid while at the Midlands and other random wrestling matches at NU.
Relationship with Mark was interesting. W was from Sterling and Mark was a thorn in the side of Mark DeJarnet (our coaches son) who went up against Mark many times. It was always pretty close but Mark Massery beat him all but once (and I think that was in Greco Roman after HS wrestling was done for both)

I tend to get really pissed and go ballistic for about 24 hours. I wish it was different because I am no fun to be around during a weekend like the last one. If we play a solid game in a loss it is a much lighter stage of ballistic.

What I don't want to do if let it linger days/weeks/months . To me, that constant feeling of being upset with someone or something within the program saps all the fun out of being a fan.

I mostly am only ballistic on the board. Other wise after a loss I feel perhaps slightly low until the next morning. If ND loses and Michigan wins, it is almost a wash but not quite. Unless ND is totally embarrassed and Michigan wins then it is a wash.
Disclaimer:
1) My Son went to Michigan and my wife took up Michigan football because we went to parent's weekend, It has absolutely changed our Saturday priorities. My Brother in Law was the starting Offensive tackle for Michigan when I was 12 and started in the Rose Bowl. (he has an interesting opinion about the current OL Experiment.)
2) I grew up the only Protestant on the block in an Irish Catholic Neighborhood. I used to get beat up every St Patricks day.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern

I've been a fan since I was a little kid in the 50's. As an adult, after the Cats went to the Rose Bowl, I used to be depressed until about Wednesday. Recently, it doesn't seem to affect my mood, especially early season losses. I've seen too many unexpected turnarounds after it seemed all hope was lost. I. Now approach every game as a new season because sometimes the Cats come out and totally surprise me. Besides, I've gotten to know a few players, and I don't want to be mad at any of them. Plus, even if the game is a stinker, our tailgate parties always make it worth the trip.

I don't feel that I'm any less a fan because my emotions don't get thrown out of whack after a poor performance. My one fanatic Cats fan son is still in Phase One of his fandom. He's a little bewildered that I'm not still an emotional wreck after disaster strikes.

My comments

The losses that are the worst for me:

1 when I am at the game. It is a big commitment to come from Balt, so I am disappointed when we lose. I even try to mitigate it by avoiding likely losses
2 games that we get crushed (e.g. Tennessee)
3 games which, in my opinion, the coaches don't put the players in the best opportunity to win, either through poor prep or poor game management.
4 Losing to teams I despise (e.g. Michigag, ILL, Ped State)
5 Losing in heartbreaking fashion (Auburn)

As you can surmise, the Duke game checked three boxes there. The multiple Mich flubs in three straight years checked three boxes. Likewise Auburn and Tennessee

OTOH, I don't expect us to beat Wisc, I won't be there, I don't hate them, and if we lose by like 2 scores but are not pantsed, I can live with it (unless the coaches shit the bed - see #3).

Reactions: rmndcat
I've changed over time, and I take losses considerably less hard than I used to.

My outlook on sports has changed - I get less time to watch than I did a decade ago (pre-wife, pre-kids), when, as I described to a friend, "When the game's over, I literally spend the next 164 hours waiting for the next one." So, in the last five or six years, I've determined that, if sports are my escape from the world, then I want that escape to be joyful. If NU plays like trash, I move on. I'll be angry here, and I'll join the debate, and I'll trash the strategy, but it won't affect me much.

I don't think I enjoy the fluke wins or crazy moments less than I used to - but the losses don't affect me nearly as much.

I also have considerably less knowledge of the depth chart or recruiting rankings than I once did - presumably, that (relative) lack of personal investment means that things can roll off easier.

Reactions: DurhamCat

I care, and I don't go ballistic. Far more important things in life for me to address instead of going ballistic about a game played by young adults. If that makes me apathetic, then a lot of people are apathetic since I know many people who treat their sports fandom precisely the same way I do.

I care, and I don't go ballistic. Far more important things in life for me to address instead of going ballistic about a game played by young adults. If that makes me apathetic, then a lot of people are apathetic since I know many people who treat their sports fandom precisely the same way I do.

I was impossible to be around until about 10 years ago when I decided I wasn't going to let something I had no control over dictate what kind of day I was going to have. Every bit the fan I use to be. Still impossible to be around. But that has nothing to do with my NU fandom.

GOUNUII

Reactions: mikewebb68
I get disappointed but not ballistic. Suffering through the dark ages will do that to you. I didn't taste a single victory until my junior year. Literally 0-fer freshman and sophomore years. Stop State at 28.

My comments

The losses that are the worst for me:

1 when I am at the game. It is a big commitment to come from Balt, so I am disappointed when we lose. I even try to mitigate it by avoiding likely losses
2 games that we get crushed (e.g. Tennessee)
3 games which, in my opinion, the coaches don't put the players in the best opportunity to win, either through poor prep or poor game management.
4 Losing to teams I despise (e.g. Michigag, ILL, Ped State)
5 Losing in heartbreaking fashion (Auburn)

As you can surmise, the Duke game checked three boxes there. The multiple Mich flubs in three straight years checked three boxes. Likewise Auburn and Tennessee

OTOH, I don't expect us to beat Wisc, I won't be there, I don't hate them, and if we lose by like 2 scores but are not pantsed, I can live with it (unless the coaches shit the bed - see #3).
I used to get extremely emotional after bad losses. I would scream at the television set if watching at home (more than I do now) and would shut off the television and storm out of the room when things did not go well. Bad mood would last all week. Through the years, the repetitions and the ups and downs of college football have mellowed me. After a bad loss, my emotions kind of click through all of the previous losses we have been through and I emotionally go "Here we go again." On the other hand, I am not sure the highs are as high. But my bad mood usually is just kind of a knot in my stomach that dissipates after a couple of hours. I long ago learned NOT to take it out on my wife. Yes, I learned that. Yes, I did.

Yeah, but these young adults are about at the height of their athletic ability in terms of flexibility, acrobatics and speed. The pros?--strength, experience and bigness. How can one not get excited?

Yeah, but these young adults are about at the height of their athletic ability in terms of flexibility, acrobatics and speed. The pros?--strength, experience and bigness. How can one not get excited?

I can certainly be excited about our team. The question was about going ballistic after a loss.

I've been a fan of NU football since witnessing games with my dad during the Dark Ages as a kid - I often felt like THE fan given how so few attended the games with us. Years passed and I had little more than a tepid interest in the program . . . until the Rose Bowl year. I traveled to Pasadena with my dad to witness the Cats in action. My enthusiasm waned after Barnett left, reviving dramatically after the Cats prevailed over Mississippi St. on New Years Day and began hauling in blue chip recruits during that off season.

I can't watch the games live anymore unless the Cats are heavily favored to win or lose or I'm otherwise at the game. I get too worked up and stressed out with the telecasts. I don't understand the problem, but I can only watch it on the DVR after peeking at the score online an hour or two after kickoff.

Reactions: StreamCat
I've been a fan of NU football since witnessing games with my dad during the Dark Ages as a kid - I often felt like THE fan given how so few attended the games with us. Years passed and I had little more than a tepid interest in the program . . . until the Rose Bowl year. I traveled to Pasadena with my dad to witness the Cats in action. My enthusiasm waned after Barnett left, reviving dramatically after the Cats prevailed over Mississippi St. on New Years Day and began hauling in blue chip recruits during that off season.

I can't watch the games live anymore unless the Cats are heavily favored to win or lose or I'm otherwise at the game. I get too worked up and stressed out with the telecasts. I don't understand the problem, but I can only watch it on the DVR after peeking at the score online an hour or two after kickoff.
I totally identify with this. I used to do that... and my heart would race as I clicked onto ESPN to check the final score. My wife would wait patiently. If we won I would say "I will be up late tonight watching the game." If we lost it would be, "Well, I get four extra hours of sleep tonight."

Last edited:
My emotions as a super fan are almost always controlled post game.

Particularly since I use so much energy dancing and cheering at the games...

Since I never get upset during a Northwestern sporting event, I can not relate to this thread at all. I like to always stay calm and composed.

I used to live and die with my sports teams as a young man, but I've gotten over that. I suppose that's partially due to years of following teams such as the Cubs, Bears, NU etc. that have certainly had their share of losses. I'd be moping all the time if I got excited over every loss. I do tend to watch NU games on replay if possible because they play so many nerve-wracking games, both winning and losing, that it's almost like getting a tooth pulled to watch them. It was similar during the Cubs' playoff run last year as they constantly put themselves into holes before dramatically pulling out the games. I was a tremendous Bears fan as a kid, but years of the McCaskey ownership have dulled my enthusiasm for them, and I find pro football to be boring compared to the college product. When the Bears aren't good, which is often, I don't pay much attention to the NFL. So while sports are still an important part of my leisure life, I don't tend to go ballistic about a sporting event for any extended period.

I totally identify with this. I used to do that... and my heart would race as I clicked onto ESPN to check the final score. My wife would wait patiently. If we won I would say "I will be up late tonight watching the game." If we lost it would be, "Well, I get four extra hours of sleep tonight."
I've done this too.

I appreciate your position and generally agree that many people devote too much time and emotion to sports (judgmental, I know - sorry). Some fans of professional sports, in particular, become obsessed with watching other grown men perform their jobs, with nothing in common with them but temporary residences in the same city or state.
But, college sports are a bit different. NU made me who I am today. I met my wife and some of my best friends there. I am still close to certain faculty members 39 years after graduation. I learned so much, grew so much, and developed so many loyalties from my years at NU - and credit the special qualities of the particular institution for those changes more than just the general opportunity to go to college. I want to celebrate NU, to relive, in even small ways, my experiences there, and to see the school receive the attention and respect it deserves. Football provides a great way to accomplish all three goals.
I believe that for NU to really field a competitive football program, worthy of respect and attention, it must win its' share of Big Ten titles - on average, I every 14 years. It has been 17 years since our last conference title - we are due. Moreover, Fitz has not won one yet. He needs to. I like and respect him, as a man and a coach, and desperately want a title for him and the players.
This was to be our year. We returned the best RB in the Big Ten, an experienced QB with pro potential, an experienced OL supposedly improved with new additions from recent recruiting classes, 2 of the best DTs in the conference, a wealth of talented corners and safeties, and some young and talented DEs and LBs to play alongside some returning starters. Next year, many of these pieces will be gone and our expectations will likely be for a seven or eight win season. 2017 was the year - for 11 or 12 wins and the trophy in the case. It was the year to cement our status as a solid Big Ten program with legitimate claims to being the best. The loss to a mediocre Duke team (which we have outrecruited and which lacks even our fan support, history, and facilities) in so inglorious a fashion, has alerted many of us to an uncomfortable reality. 2017 is not our year - and next year will not be either.
Our dreams and hopes have been shattered. It is not for us we mourn, but for our alma mater. She deserves better.

Last edited:
I appreciate your position and generally agree that many people devote too much time and emotion to sports (judgmental, I know - sorry). Some fans of professional sports, in particular, become obsessed with watching other grown men perform their jobs, with nothing in common with them but temporary residences in the same city or state.
But, college sports are a bit different. NU made me who I am today. I met my wife and some of my best friends there. I am still close to certain faculty members 39 years after graduation. I learned so much, grew so much, and developed so many loyalties from my years at NU - and credit the special qualities of the particular institution for those changes more than just the general opportunity to go to college. I want to celebrate NU, to relive, in even small ways, my experiences there, and to see the school receive the attention and respect it deserves. Football provides a great way to accomplish all three goals.
I believe that for NU to really field a competitive football program, worthy of respect and attention, it must win its' share of Big Ten titles - on average, I every 14 years. It has been 17 years since our last conference title - we are due. Moreover, Fitz has not won one yet. He needs to. I like and respect him, as a man and a coach, and desperately want a title for him and the players.
This was to be our year. We returned the best RB in the Big Ten, an experienced QB with pro potential, an experienced OL supposedly improved with new additions from recent recruiting classes, 2 of the best DTs in the conference, a wealth of talented corners and safeties, and some young and talented DEs and LBs to play alongside some returning starters. Next year, many of these pieces will be gone and our expectations will likely be for a seven or eight win season. 2017 was the year - for 11 or 12 wins and the trophy in the case. It was the year to cement our status as a solid Big Ten program with legitimate claims to being the best. The loss to a mediocre Duke team (which we have outrecruited and which lacks even our fan support, history, and facilities) in so inglorious a fashion, has alerted many of us to an uncomfortable reality. 2017 is not our year - and next year will not be either.
Our dreams and hopes have been shattered. It is not for us we mourn, but for our alma mater. She deserves better.

What I've learned in my years as an NU fan expectations rarely match reality in either direction. At least not since 1996.

Great discussion. I think part of the fun of being a fan (aka fanatic, right?) Being emotionally involved and riding the rollercoaster makes it much more difficult when your team loses, and much much better when they win. The key is knowing where and when to draw the lines. During the game I used to scream and carry on during the games. Then I discovered "live threads", where I can vent- even unreasonably, without making my wife re-consider her wedding vows and not scare my children. Kidding... kind of...

In my opinion, the proliferation of radio/tv talk shows, websites, and social media have made things worse. I assume many of us posting here often frequent those media sites. Because of the time invested it makes us more invested in the team, because we know more than the average fan it makes us feel more like insiders and part of the team, and because we hear and see the "haters"- it makes us more sensitive to negative discourse not to mention outright insults.

It's ok to be crazy for a couple of hours as long as you don't break laws, hurt anyone, or make an irreparable ass of yourself. It's not Ok to let it control your life because as much as we want to be more; we're just fans and spectators- not an active member of the team. We really don't invest our bodies and lives, nor do the losses impart a permanent black mark on who we are or want to be. Of course, I wasn't thinking that this past Saturday as Baker Mayfield was planting the flag in the middle of Ohio Stadium.

So I say enjoy the game, be entertained, be incredibly joyful, and understandingly disappointed, but also keep some perspective.

I enjoy those fans that go ballistic because of the passion and the still-uncrushed hope that someday NU will turn into a consistent winner.

I expect to see lots less of it because of the Duke loss. A lot more fans are gonna be embracing the suck, a 3-D, ugly expression.

Aging Booster says it all for me. Fitz may somehow manage to save this season, as last season was barely saved, but most of us expected much more.

All I had to do was turn on the TV on a Fall Saturday morning and my 70lb. Bulldog would go hide under the bed. She knew there was a storm brewing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT